++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 4, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #2,776 of 29,490

Quote:
budget - I can wait and save for the best .

music preference - Electronic , Dance , Percussive ,house , Tribal house ,trance etc

design - Closed with Good isolation

amped or unamped - Would consider a portable amp if it improved quality more than say 5% .

I will be Listening to Dance music with these headphones and Dancing also. So Essentially  the headphone must have quite a secure fit and be light weight .Isolation will be important for these headphones .

I listen at home with Audio technica ATH-M50 <<< these are slightly too Big to be true out and about headphones & if the music is so good it moves you ,they can have a tendency to wobble on the head slightly . Though I like how the ATH-M50e sound and would be  happy if I found a more compact headphone that could match the ATH-M50 .

So far my research has led me to the Sennheiser HD25 1 ii . They look slightly more portable than the ATH-M50 and have a smaller cup size.

Any other suggestions ? or have I hit the nail on the head for my particular requirements with the ATH-M50 ?.

I don't think the HD25s have the bass emphasis for your kind of music. Unfortunately, the ES7s are discontinued. Have you considered IEMs?

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #2,777 of 29,490

Quote:
Howdy,
I am completely new to this. And by new I mean, after reading several articles here, I'm still not familiar with all of the lingo. I have been told I have quite sensitive hearing, both being able to hear very soft sounds, being able to distinguish a specific song or instrument in a crowded and loud arena, and being able to tell the difference of chromatic scales for Academic Decathlon in high school. I'm a college student so just last week my adviser and I looked through my course transcript and he asked me what I wanted to graduate in after taking so many science classes (Math, Physics, and Chemistry)? After that talk I still hadn't decided what to major in but I started thinking about what I want to minor in. And I'm thinking music. It's fun, I listen to a lot, I don't know very much about it so it'll be a nice challenge, and from what I hear it has a strong relationship with Math. So before I decide what to do I thought I'd do some little investigating and I came across this site. Wow. I listen to so much music, and sound itself is such a great big part of my life, and yet I know so little of it. I'm barely beginning to get the academics down but with something so seemingly objective I know I have to actually experience it to get a much deeper sense of appreciation for it.
So here it goes. Genre: My spectrum is as diverse as most of my peers. This means Classical, Jazz, Rock, RnB, Rap, Dubstep, and Electronica. But by sheer volume I am mostly consumed by Classical and Rap. I love the pin points, the highs and lows of classical music, and how the musical spectrum of each instrument shines. But I also love bass. I hate it when cars' plastic and windows rattle due to bass but I love it to where it just gives you, the person, that sort of "buzzing" feeling when you get it good.
Artists: To give you a more detailed example of my music these are the artists I most commonly come across on my iPhone. Beethoven, Mozart,Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Jack Johnson, Muse, Linkin Park, The Beatles, Crystal Castles, Deadmau5, and Eminem. I listen to Eminem a lot.
Amp/DAC thingy: I know next to nothing about amps other than generally everyone recommends them if you're serious about music quality. So if I were to get one I imagine I'd make a CMoy one out of sheer curiosity, cheap-ness, and the process of making one probably teach me a thing or two. Unless of course it is then highly recommended I buy one.
Environment: I am a student so naturally at school, on campus, at the mall, etc. And I can't at work because keen environment sounds plays an important role in driving to me. I'm quite the wallflower so I favor not being intruded by noise.
I went to Best Buy, the only place I know of where I live that sells dedicated headphones, tested some Bose headphones -sucked, and Dre Beats Pro -what the hell is that background static??? otherwise badass, and overall wasn't satisfied with investing so much money despite my bias towards their liberal return policy.
My budget is less $250 grand total. I saw this article and I really like the HFI-580 based on his review. It seems overall it has better sound quality, and though it may have less bass output, still has the potential for dishing some. So, going off of what you read, can you guys suggest anything else or do you agree that the HFI-580 would be a wise decision?
And also, is there an informative website to learning about music, how to read notes, academic terminology, and perhaps its relationship to math? A website similar to khan academy's (it's for science) would be awesome.
Thanks everyone!
Edit: Also, the formatting is terrible on my computer. I apologize in advance.

Hey welcome to head-fi, regarding your budget it is some what a little to short to get you something which can give you a sound with night and and day difference but here goes nothing,
I suggest Koss KSC75  for almost 13 dollars, source:sansa clip+=$37 and you really do not need any amp for Koss KSC75, but since now you have a $200 left from your budget you can perhaps save it and listen to this source and clip on's because trust me once you enter this world you would always want something new to try. So yes I suggest not to worry about getting anything else and advice save up and start searching.
Enjoy your experience :)

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2,778 of 29,490

The HD 25-1 IIs are absolutely amazing for that type of music. One of my favorite headphones for those genres, actually (because of the bass).
Quote:
I don't think the HD25s have the bass emphasis for your kind of music. Unfortunately, the ES7s are discontinued. Have you considered IEMs?

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,779 of 29,490
Really? I never thought the HD25s were bass-heavy - they're more neutral to me. You won't after hearing the Pro 900s, at least.
wink.gif
To each his own.
Oh, he could consider AIAIAI TMA-1s. They should be good for dance music.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2,780 of 29,490
I've owned both the HD 25-1s and (now) own the TMA-1s. The 25s are more neutral, but in the best way you could ever think of Neutral sounding. I absolutely adored them for Electronic music.

I prefer the TMA-1s only slightly because of comfort (for me). I honestly think the HD 25-1s sound better right out of the box, but I will say that I like my TMA-1s more because I have the proper equipment behind them. With the help of my J3s EQ, I prefer the TMA-1s...but from something that doesn't have a proper EQ, I would much prefer the HD 25-1 IIs.

They're both great headphones, and I like them both. Bottom line though, I feel the TMA-1s are much more dependent on a proper source/amp than the 25s.

EDIT: IMO
Quote:
Really? I never thought the HD25s were bass-heavy - they're more neutral to me. You won't after hearing the Pro 900s, at least.
wink.gif
To each his own.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #2,781 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I currently own a pair of Grado Sr-80is.  I'm looking to upgrade my listening situation a bit, and I've come to a bit of a dilemma.  Do I buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s even though I can't afford to buy a headphone amp or a dac at this time, or do I go with Grado Sr-325is, a headphone that I understand is less needy of amplification?  Will the unamped HD600s be an improvement over my SR-80s?  Of course I plan to eventually buy an amp and dac, but it would likely be a while before I could afford them.  An alternative answer that I've been considering is to buy Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs for portable/metro use.

What do you all think?

Speaking from experience with the SR-80i and SR-325is, you'll noticed a very nice bump in quality, smoothness and clarity. However, be ready for the cans to be some of the brightest you've ever heard. The SR-325is is very much the most polarized can in the Grado line-up, people either love it or hate it. People will call out the SR-80i as being ear very bright and let's just say after listening to my SR-325is and switching to the SR-80i (with bowls), they sound very much recessed. Keep this in mind. Also, the SR-325is is very heavy and it is really where the Grado comfort issues start to come into play.

Now, to your question, I'd jump for the SR-325is if you're looking for a good phone while putting off an amp. However, if you have a home receiver, you can use that while working on saving some pennies for a headphone amp. Some will say the Sennheiser headphones are better bang for the buck, in my opinion it just depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for an EXTREMELY good isolating headphone for commutes, pick up the HD-25 II. It has a higher then normal impedance, but it can still be driven easily out of a PMP and it has a pretty flat frequency response. Just note when moving from a Grado to a closed Sennheiser you'll notice right away that they are considerably darker and can sound muddy at times in the bottom end. Still, they are fantastic phones. The isolation is simply astounding in my opinion.

Quote:
I realy wanted to get a pair but the only problem is that they are hard to find here in the UK, I have found someone selling them but they are $322 which is out of my price range

You could always shop used and see if you can get it shipped out to you. Many folks use the Head-Fi gear sale forums to get cans like Grados where they are sold at an extreme markups outside the US. Just a thought, but be aware of those pesky import tariffs that could hit you, especially in the UK.

Is there not any other cans which would fit my requirements, I dont realy want to wait around for someone to put a set of MS400's on sale plus I dont realy want to buy second hand

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2,782 of 29,490
OK, here goes. I managed to search through about 50 pages of this 180+ page thread, but apologies if the exact same question has already been asked.

Music: Ambient electronica, female jazz/folk singers
Open/Closed: Semi-open or closed
Portable: Not necessary (mainly desktop listening)
DAC/Amp: I have the FiiO E7/E9
Requirements: Good sound-stage, neutral or warm frequency response (certainly not bass-heavy), all-day listening comfort
Budget: approx £150 (British - works out to <$250 including tax etc)

These will be for listening in the office, mainly. I currently use my old Beyer DT311s or perhaps my UE Super Fi Pro 5 IEMs. I'd love some Grados, but they're too leaky. I've tried some DT770 Pro but they're too bass heavy for me, clamping force is too strong and they're too hot for my head.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of Senn HD25-1 II, Beyer DT250 or AKG K-271.

With the E7/E9, high impedance headphones shouldn't be a problem.

Any more thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2,783 of 29,490
^I have the E7 and E9 and it handles the k702 and ER4 just fine, however it is not mind blowing. It has a decent synergy. So I am sure it can handle the AKG K-271 and the HD 25 II just fine. Not sure about the 250

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2,784 of 29,490
Comfort is very much on a person to person basis for the 25-1 IIs. I now own TMA-1s because the 25s clamped too hard (I DO admittedly have a big head, but it DT 770s were too tight, 25s may give you trouble). For office use you MAY want to try DT 880s (depending on how much sound leakage matters). They have less bass than the 770. Denon D2000 (Used) may be available around that price, they're super comfy, and are great for an office environment (although you may find them too bass heavy again).

More bass heavy cans are what I look for, but I tried to make some good suggestions. :D

Quote:
OK, here goes. I managed to search through about 50 pages of this 180+ page thread, but apologies if the exact same question has already been asked.

Music: Ambient electronica, female jazz/folk singers
Open/Closed: Semi-open or closed
Portable: Not necessary (mainly desktop listening)
DAC/Amp: I have the FiiO E7/E9
Requirements: Good sound-stage, neutral or warm frequency response (certainly not bass-heavy), all-day listening comfort
Budget: approx £150 (British - works out to <$250 including tax etc)

These will be for listening in the office, mainly. I currently use my old Beyer DT311s or perhaps my UE Super Fi Pro 5 IEMs. I'd love some Grados, but they're too leaky. I've tried some DT770 Pro but they're too bass heavy for me, clamping force is too strong and they're too hot for my head.

I'm currently thinking along the lines of Senn HD25-1 II, Beyer DT250 or AKG K-271.

With the E7/E9, high impedance headphones shouldn't be a problem.

Any more thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2,786 of 29,490

Quote:

I don't want headphones that are bass heavy . Most Dance music already has lots of bass produced into it . So buying headphones that have a tight bass response is key .

I do have some westone 3's & I really enjoy there Detailed and focused performance .Though they do have a Great bass response, for a I.E.M, they seem to be more mid-bass oriented over sub bass . and this can make some bass drums poke out a little more then say with a high performance headphone . But this is something I only noticed a few times when I've been producing music on the Audio-technica ATH-M50 and then listened to the same track with the westone's & the Kick drums would seem to have too much dominance . I guess I need to get some monitor speakers so as to compare the two and maybe find a middle ground for my tracks .

Anyway when I want the stage to be more open I like to listen to headphones .Open headphones are great but not always practical .So a quality closed headphone that is very secure on the head would be ideal . I use my iGrado's when I go running / Dancing and they are great  until the weather turns stormy/windy  .

So a quality closed headphone that is secure enough?.How secure are the senns HD25's ?.

Quote:
The HD 25-1 IIs are absolutely amazing for that type of music. One of my favorite headphones for those genres, actually (because of the bass).

Mixed opinions on the HD 25-1 II Bass? Provided they are relatively bass sensitive I'd be happy .

Quote:
wink.gif
To each his own.

No I don't want bass heavy . They are marketed as monitor headphones and many people obviously like them and use them professionally . Are they musical though? like the Audio-technica ATH-M50?

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2,787 of 29,490

Quote:
I realy need advice for a set of headphones I have alot of reasearch and I still cant decide on a pair of headphones. I listen to hip hop to the likes of Gang starr, Mobb deep, Fat Joe (old stuff), Xzibit (old stuff), Lord Finesse, GZA, Nas etc etc I wanted to get a pair of cans that are bass heavy and that will provide good vocals. I will use them without an amp as I want them to be portable. I have looked into the ATH-M50, V-Moda Crossfades and DT770's but through reasearch people have mentioned that the named headphones are either too bass heavy without focus on vocal and details or they lack in bass.
Can anyone recommend me a pair of headphones around the $200 mark that will work well for my requirements?

The ATH-M50 and DT 770 Pro 80 are good choices.  The DT770 might need an amp tho.  Would scrap the V-Moda Crossfades as they are suppose to be not that great.  The other bass heavy headphones are Ultrasone 580/DJ1 and Sony XB700.

Ultrasone DJ1 usually go for £120 but this website - http://uk.lookat.com/search/result/?q=ultrasone are selling it for £82 tho I can't verify if the shop is completely legit since it is a new company.  But it seems okay as someone said they bought from them tho obviously DYOR.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,788 of 29,490

Quote:
Howdy,

So here it goes. Genre: My spectrum is as diverse as most of my peers. This means Classical, Jazz, Rock, RnB, Rap, Dubstep, and Electronica. But by sheer volume I am mostly consumed by Classical and Rap. I love the pin points, the highs and lows of classical music, and how the musical spectrum of each instrument shines. But I also love bass. I hate it when cars' plastic and windows rattle due to bass but I love it to where it just gives you, the person, that sort of "buzzing" feeling when you get it good.
Artists: To give you a more detailed example of my music these are the artists I most commonly come across on my iPhone. Beethoven, Mozart,Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Jack Johnson, Muse, Linkin Park, The Beatles, Crystal Castles, Deadmau5, and Eminem. I listen to Eminem a lot.

Amp/DAC thingy: I know next to nothing about amps other than generally everyone recommends them if you're serious about music quality. So if I were to get one I imagine I'd make a CMoy one out of sheer curiosity, cheap-ness, and the process of making one probably teach me a thing or two. Unless of course it is then highly recommended I buy one.

My budget is less $250 grand total. I saw this article and I really like the HFI-580 based on his review. It seems overall it has better sound quality, and though it may have less bass output, but still has the potential for dishing some. So, going off of what you read, can you guys suggest anything else or do you agree that the HFI-580 would be a wise decision?

And also, is there an informative website to learning about music, how to read notes, academic terminology, and perhaps its relationship to math? A website similar to khan academy's (that one is for science) would be awesome.

Thanks everyone
beyersmile.png
!

Go for the HFI-580.  You won't be disappointed.  I have the DJ1 (580 but with coiled cord) and if anything I found it has a tad too much bass for me though I am not a basshead by any means.  No need for amp/dac either.

I saw someone recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Listening-Skills-Audio-Professionals/dp/1598630237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302023485&sr=8-1

And I have put it on my Amazon wish list.  Might want to check it out.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #2,789 of 29,490
hello guys. i've already decided for my first amp i would like to go with the fiio e7 + e9 combo since it isn't too expensive and it leaves me room to buy a nice pair of headphones as well. the only thing is i'm not too sure what phones to get. i was looking on ebay and saw a sennheisser HD448+fiio e7 combo but i've never even heard of that model nor seen it praised. so, instead, i'd like to be recommended some. i mostly listen to acoustic, rock, video game soundtracks and hip-hop. a bit of electronica but not very much. i like my headphones to have some bass in them, not overwhelming of course, but a punch. like you can feel it. the only other thing i don't like at all is harsh highs. so if anyone could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2,790 of 29,490
Hi, I've been looking for headphones(silly my ofcourse i am :). I mostly like to listen to bands like procupine tree, the mars volta, the smashing pumpkins, and sometimes even to electronic and breakbeat. I've done some research, but cant really decide wich ones to buy. My budget would be max300$.

I dont have an amp and they should be sounding good without one. If they are portable thats nice but its not a necessarity since i'll be mostly using them with my computer. Thanks beforehand for the directional replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back