++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,761 of 29,490

Quote:
I would get a DAC/amp. It leaves you with room to expand your setup in the future, and the iPod's DAC is pretty shabby.
The HD650 and HD600 are known for sounding warm, albeit the HD600s less so. I wouldn't really consider the DT880s for your type of music because they have a smaller soundstage and a trebly, 'analytical' sound. For the $200 or so you have left, you could get a Yulong U100, FUBAR III, Audinst MX1 or that new Uber Muzik Tiny Tube.

Try searching '200 amp dac' in the search bar. I guarantee you'll find some worthy choices.

I've definitely done that search! Do those amps have what it takes to drive the HD 650?

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #2,762 of 29,490
So i'm looking for some headphones that will blow me out of the water. I've had a pair shure 315s they were decent. I've been reading about some akg 271, I myself own hd555 sennheisers. heres a link to my last.fm and what I listen to and maybe you can determine the headphones I should get by that. www.last.fm/user/crossjeremiah

Its mostly ambient, modern classical, post rock and indie music. I do occasionally listen to some hardcore, metal, and some really heavy stuff. Thanks for the help btw.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2,763 of 29,490

Quote:
So i'm looking for some headphones that will blow me out of the water. I've had a pair shure 315s they were decent. I've been reading about some akg 271, I myself own hd555 sennheisers. heres a link to my last.fm and what I listen to and maybe you can determine the headphones I should get by that. www.last.fm/user/crossjeremiah

Its mostly ambient, modern classical, post rock and indie music. I do occasionally listen to some hardcore, metal, and some really heavy stuff. Thanks for the help btw.

Maybe get a Grado headphone to complement your Sennheiser.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2,767 of 29,490

Quote:
thanks again - source will be a Mackie mixing desk

That should be plenty of power for any of the headphones you're looking at.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,768 of 29,490
I realy need advice for a set of headphones I have alot of reasearch and I still cant decide on a pair of headphones. I listen to hip hop to the likes of Gang starr, Mobb deep, Fat Joe (old stuff), Xzibit (old stuff), Lord Finesse, GZA, Nas etc etc I wanted to get a pair of cans that are bass heavy and that will provide good vocals. I will use them without an amp as I want them to be portable. I have looked into the ATH-M50, V-Moda Crossfades and DT770's but through reasearch people have mentioned that the named headphones are either too bass heavy without focus on vocal and details or they lack in bass.
Can anyone recommend me a pair of headphones around the $200 mark that will work well for my requirements?

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,771 of 29,490
Hi,

I currently own a pair of Grado Sr-80is.  I'm looking to upgrade my listening situation a bit, and I've come to a bit of a dilemma.  Do I buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s even though I can't afford to buy a headphone amp or a dac at this time, or do I go with Grado Sr-325is, a headphone that I understand is less needy of amplification?  Will the unamped HD600s be an improvement over my SR-80s?  Of course I plan to eventually buy an amp and dac, but it would likely be a while before I could afford them.  An alternative answer that I've been considering is to buy Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs for portable/metro use.

What do you all think?

Speaking from experience with the SR-80i and SR-325is, you'll noticed a very nice bump in quality, smoothness and clarity. However, be ready for the cans to be some of the brightest you've ever heard. The SR-325is is very much the most polarized can in the Grado line-up, people either love it or hate it. People will call out the SR-80i as being ear very bright and let's just say after listening to my SR-325is and switching to the SR-80i (with bowls), they sound very much recessed. Keep this in mind. Also, the SR-325is is very heavy and it is really where the Grado comfort issues start to come into play.

Now, to your question, I'd jump for the SR-325is if you're looking for a good phone while putting off an amp. However, if you have a home receiver, you can use that while working on saving some pennies for a headphone amp. Some will say the Sennheiser headphones are better bang for the buck, in my opinion it just depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for an EXTREMELY good isolating headphone for commutes, pick up the HD-25 II. It has a higher then normal impedance, but it can still be driven easily out of a PMP and it has a pretty flat frequency response. Just note when moving from a Grado to a closed Sennheiser you'll notice right away that they are considerably darker and can sound muddy at times in the bottom end. Still, they are fantastic phones. The isolation is simply astounding in my opinion.

I realy wanted to get a pair but the only problem is that they are hard to find here in the UK, I have found someone selling them but they are $322 which is out of my price range

You could always shop used and see if you can get it shipped out to you. Many folks use the Head-Fi gear sale forums to get cans like Grados where they are sold at an extreme markups outside the US. Just a thought, but be aware of those pesky import tariffs that could hit you, especially in the UK.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,772 of 29,490
budget - I can wait and save for the best .

music preference - Electronic , Dance , Percussive ,house , Tribal house ,trance etc

design - Closed with Good isolation

amped or unamped - Would consider a portable amp if it improved quality more than say 5% .

I will be Listening to Dance music with these headphones and Dancing also. So Essentially  the headphone must have quite a secure fit and be light weight .Isolation will be important for these headphones .

I listen at home with Audio technica ATH-M50 <<< these are slightly too Big to be true out and about headphones & if the music is so good it moves you ,they can have a tendency to wobble on the head slightly . Though I like how the ATH-M50 sound and would be  happy if I found a more compact headphone that could match the ATH-M50 .

So far my research has led me to the Sennheiser HD25 1 ii . They look slightly more portable than the ATH-M50 and have a smaller cup size.

Any other suggestions ? or have I hit the nail on the head for my particular requirements with the Sennheiser HD25 1 ii ?.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,773 of 29,490

Quote:
1) Beyerdynamic DT48 - cuts clean through your music like a surgeon's scalpel, you will love the music and hate the production engineer
2) Grado or Ultrasone are my usual recommendations. The RS1 or Pro900 would be top of the line (not counting the $1k+ cans from Ultrasone). There's also the Magnum upgrade for the 325 to consider.
3) Denon D5000 with jmoney leather earpad upgrade, or maybe the upcoming Sony XB1000
4) a vintage AKG K240 Sextett, Audio Technica AD2000, something by Phiaton just because I really like their stuff

I'll leave someone else to tackle the dac/amp question.

Quote:
With those headphones I'd be looking at the Audio-GD NFB-10 balanced amp/dac combo. Most in the dedicated thread seem to have gone with the slightly dearer ES version, but there are some interesting posts regarding the dual WM8741 version in the last few pages.

Ty guys for all your suggestions. I will definately check them out. Also I have been looking around and those DT48's but they seem hard to come by. I am guessing they are DC'd, anyone know where to get a pair?

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2,774 of 29,490
Quote:
Ty guys for all your suggestions. I will definately check them out. Also I have been looking around and those DT48's but they seem hard to come by. I am guessing they are DC'd, anyone know where to get a pair?

Beyer still makes the DT48s.  They generally aren't meant for consumers though so you'll have to look at places which sell pro gear.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2,775 of 29,490
Howdy,

I am completely new to this. And by new I mean, after reading several articles here, I'm still not familiar with all of the lingo. I have been told I have quite sensitive hearing, both being able to hear very soft sounds, being able to distinguish a specific song or instrument in a crowded and loud arena, and being able to tell the difference of chromatic scales for Academic Decathlon in high school. I'm a college student so just last week my adviser and I looked through my course transcript and he asked me what I wanted to graduate in after taking so many science classes (Math, Physics, and Chemistry)? After that talk I still hadn't decided what to major in but I started thinking about what I want to minor in. And I'm thinking music. It's fun, I listen to a lot, I don't know very much about it so it'll be a nice challenge, and from what I hear it has a strong relationship with Math. So before I decide what to do I thought I'd do some little investigating and I came across this site. Wow. I listen to so much music, and sound itself is such a great big part of my life, and yet I know so little of it. I'm barely beginning to get the academics down but with something so seemingly objective I know I have to actually experience it to get a much deeper sense of appreciation for it.

So here it goes. Genre: My spectrum is as diverse as most of my peers. This means Classical, Jazz, Rock, RnB, Rap, Dubstep, and Electronica. But by sheer volume I am mostly consumed by Classical and Rap. I love the pin points, the highs and lows of classical music, and how the musical spectrum of each instrument shines. But I also love bass. I hate it when cars' plastic and windows rattle due to bass but I love it to where it just gives you, the person, that sort of "buzzing" feeling when you get it good.
Artists: To give you a more detailed example of my music these are the artists I most commonly come across on my iPhone. Beethoven, Mozart,Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Jack Johnson, Muse, Linkin Park, The Beatles, Crystal Castles, Deadmau5, and Eminem. I listen to Eminem a lot.

Amp/DAC thingy: I know next to nothing about amps other than generally everyone recommends them if you're serious about music quality. So if I were to get one I imagine I'd make a CMoy one out of sheer curiosity, cheap-ness, and the process of making one probably teach me a thing or two. Unless of course it is then highly recommended I buy one.

Environment: I am a student so naturally at school, on campus, at the mall, etc. And I can't at work because keen environment sounds plays an important role in driving to me. I'm quite the wallflower so I favor not being intruded by noise.
I went to Best Buy, the only place I know of where I live that sells dedicated headphones, tested some Bose headphones -sucked, and Dre Beats Pro -what the hell is that background static??? otherwise badass, and overall wasn't satisfied with investing so much money despite my bias towards their liberal return policy.

My budget is less $250 grand total. I saw this article and I really like the HFI-580 based on his review. It seems overall it has better sound quality, and though it may have less bass output, but still has the potential for dishing some. So, going off of what you read, can you guys suggest anything else or do you agree that the HFI-580 would be a wise decision?

And also, is there an informative website to learning about music, how to read notes, academic terminology, and perhaps its relationship to math? A website similar to khan academy's (that one is for science) would be awesome.

Thanks everyone
beyersmile.png
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back