++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2,791 of 29,490
I would suggest the Beyerdynamic DT 880. They make an easier to drive version and I think they'd be great for your musical style. They'll sound excellent for the more rock side of your spectrum, and they'll sound good for Electronic and Breakbeat stuff. The bass may not WOW you, but it's there, and you get the nice open soundstage of an open headphone. Plus, you get the slightly better tahn open isolation.

Quote:
Hi, I've been looking for headphones(silly my ofcourse i am :). I mostly like to listen to bands like procupine tree, the mars volta, the smashing pumpkins, and sometimes even to electronic and breakbeat. I've done some research, but cant really decide wich ones to buy. My budget would be max300$.

I dont have an amp and they should be sounding good without one. If they are portable thats nice but its not a necessarity since i'll be mostly using them with my computer. Thanks beforehand for the directional replies!

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,792 of 29,490
hi first post so i bought some hd800s off ebay and they are terrible sounding no bass .... any way to mod them i would be pissed if i had paid full price i paid under half of MSRP only reason i would ever buy them , so then i sent them in to get fixed and they said they were working fine shocking how a headphone could have so little bass i use them from a ipod anyways any ways to get more bass from them. or are there any good bass headphones i could sell the hd800s and buy ?

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,793 of 29,490
Interested in portable closed headphones to match with the iBasso PB1. 

I have listened to M50S and found them to be too analytical and forward.  Tried the HD-25 and found them too forward and uncomfortable for extended listening.  Tried the Shure 840 and found them too bassy, so far the Denon 2000 seem to be my favorite, but would like a smaller, more heavy duty portable headphone for about $200.

Potential Headphones ?:
Audio Technical ESW-9 ($239)
Sony MDR-ZX700 ($119)
Denon DJ DN-HP700 ($88)

Any other suggestions?
Any advice on bi wiring?

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,794 of 29,490

Quote:
hello guys. i've already decided for my first amp i would like to go with the fiio e7 + e9 combo since it isn't too expensive and it leaves me room to buy a nice pair of headphones as well. the only thing is i'm not too sure what phones to get. i was looking on ebay and saw a sennheisser HD448+fiio e7 combo but i've never even heard of that model nor seen it praised. so, instead, i'd like to be recommended some. i mostly listen to acoustic, rock, video game soundtracks and hip-hop. a bit of electronica but not very much. i like my headphones to have some bass in them, not overwhelming of course, but a punch. like you can feel it. the only other thing i don't like at all is harsh highs. so if anyone could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated!

The HD448 is decent all-rounder headphone. Good detailing, decent soundstage for a closed headphone, but a rather lean bass in my opinion. If you're looking for something with punch, they probably won't suit you.

What kind of budget do you have for headphones? Do you want open or closed? portable or not?

One of my favourites is the Phiaton MS400. Great bass (more rumbly than punchy though), relaxed highs. Also very easy to drive; you don't even need an amp.

To take advantage of the e9, the DT770 is a popular choice for punchy bass.

Quote:
Hi, I've been looking for headphones(silly my ofcourse i am :). I mostly like to listen to bands like procupine tree, the mars volta, the smashing pumpkins, and sometimes even to electronic and breakbeat. I've done some research, but cant really decide wich ones to buy. My budget would be max300$.

I dont have an amp and they should be sounding good without one. If they are portable thats nice but its not a necessarity since i'll be mostly using them with my computer. Thanks beforehand for the directional replies!

Random suggestions for nice all-rounders that are easy to drive: B&W P5, Audio Technica ESW9a

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2,795 of 29,490

Quote:
hi first post so i bought some hd800s off ebay and they are terrible sounding no bass .... any way to mod them i would be pissed if i had paid full price i paid under half of MSRP only reason i would ever buy them , so then i sent them in to get fixed and they said they were working fine shocking how a headphone could have so little bass i use them from a ipod anyways any ways to get more bass from them. or are there any good bass headphones i could sell the hd800s and buy ?

Did you use an amp with your hd800 btw?

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2,796 of 29,490
1) The HD 800s are open, thus will have MUCH less bass than a closed headphone
2) The HD 800 can't be used with just an iPod...It doesn't have the power...You have to have a good amp to power them
3) They get much more bass with a proper amp (although still not on par with decent closed headphones)

Sell them to someone that knows what they're doing and start lower on the headphone food chain. If you want great bass in a great headphone, but an Ultrasone Pro 900, or one of the D2k/5k/7k line, IMO.

EDIT: Both of those can be powered by just an iPod, although I'd suggest an amp of some sort with either one.
Quote:

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2,797 of 29,490
i'd put my budget at around $250 and would prefer an open headphone.

Quote:
The HD448 is decent all-rounder headphone. Good detailing, decent soundstage for a closed headphone, but a rather lean bass in my opinion. If you're looking for something with punch, they probably won't suit you.

What kind of budget do you have for headphones? Do you want open or closed? portable or not?

One of my favourites is the Phiaton MS400. Great bass (more rumbly than punchy though), relaxed highs. Also very easy to drive; you don't even need an amp.

To take advantage of the e9, the DT770 is a popular choice for punchy bass.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #2,798 of 29,490

Quote:

Well first of all, what is your reference point for bass? If you're looking for club level stuff that shakes your lungs, then the HD800 were definitely the wrong choice for you (for that matter, no headphone will give you that). High end headphones are also more about precise detailing and clarity rather than pure volume which oftentimes becomes bass bloat an obscures the rest of your frequency spectrum. You should also try using an amp with them (a receiver will be fine). Insufficient power (such as from an ipod) will result in flabby uncontrolled sound, and bass drops dramatically.

Quote:
Interested in portable closed headphones to match with the iBasso PB1. 

I have listened to M50S and found them to be too analytical and forward.  Tried the HD-25 and found them too forward and uncomfortable for extended listening.  Tried the Shure 840 and found them too bassy, so far the Denon 2000 seem to be my favorite, but would like a smaller, more heavy duty portable headphone for about $200.

Potential Headphones ?:
Audio Technical ESW-9 ($239)
Sony MDR-ZX700 ($119)
Denon DJ DN-HP700 ($88)

Any other suggestions?
Any advice on bi wiring?

I assume you mean recabling for balanced rather than bi-wiring? (which is something you do for speakers) Headphones that have

The ESW9 are not really that heavy duty. The Denon DJ cans will likely be too bass for you (for that matter, most DJ cans will feel that).

Check Joker's massive thread for some ideas: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-74-portable-headphones-reviewed-audio-technica-ath-sq5-ath-fc700-03-29#post_5828504

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #2,799 of 29,490

Quote:
i'd put my budget at around $250 and would prefer an open headphone.

Maybe the DT880 then (there's also the DT990, but I find the highs harsh on that one... I don't really like the 880 either, but I find it better than the 990). Maybe also the Ultrasone HFI2400.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #2,800 of 29,490
     I'm sorry but i just checked the ohms and they seems to be pretty high 250ohms.. i've understood that less the ohms the easier the set is to be driven...am i wrong or did i miss something :O?

Quote:
I would suggest the Beyerdynamic DT 880. They make an easier to drive version and I think they'd be great for your musical style. They'll sound excellent for the more rock side of your spectrum, and they'll sound good for Electronic and Breakbeat stuff. The bass may not WOW you, but it's there, and you get the nice open soundstage of an open headphone. Plus, you get the slightly better tahn open isolation.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,801 of 29,490
The entire Beyer DT line has many different impedance models for the same headphones. The 880s come standard at 250 Ohm. They also make 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm versions.

Here's the 32 Ohm ones. http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302033407&sr=8-1

Quote:
     I'm sorry but i just checked the ohms and they seems to be pretty high 250ohms.. i've understood that less the ohms the easier the set is to be driven...am i wrong or did i miss something :O?

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2,803 of 29,490
Music: Listening to Autechre, Sufjan Stevens, Art Blakey remasters, chamber music
Open/Closed: Closed
Portable: Able to fit in a briefcase, but I don't walk around with them on my ears
DAC/Amp: No
Requirements: Decent soundstage, warmth in mids, clarity (but not abrasiveness) in highs.  I'm not a basshead: I like to hear the upright bass in jazz, but it doesn't need to flood the spectrum.
Budget:  Preferably below $400

Current favorite headphones are the Grado SR-80's.  With those, I back off just a hair at 2kHz and boost things just a bit at 100Hz.  Source gear is a Rio Karma, sometimes MiniDisc.  I prefer "warm" over "analytical.  I liked the ESW9's, though they felt "bloated" in the upper midrange.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2,804 of 29,490

Quote:
The entire Beyer DT line has many different impedance models for the same headphones. The 880s come standard at 250 Ohm. They also make 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm versions.

Here's the 32 Ohm ones. http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302033407&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back