++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,806 of 29,490

Quote:
Music: Listening to Autechre, Sufjan Stevens, Art Blakey remasters, chamber music
Open/Closed: Closed
Portable: Able to fit in a briefcase, but I don't walk around with them on my ears
DAC/Amp: No
Requirements: Decent soundstage, warmth in mids, clarity (but not abrasiveness) in highs.  I'm not a basshead: I like to hear the upright bass in jazz, but it doesn't need to flood the spectrum.
Budget:  Preferably below $400

Current favorite headphones are the Grado SR-80's.  With those, I back off just a hair at 2kHz and boost things just a bit at 100Hz.  Source gear is a Rio Karma, sometimes MiniDisc.  I prefer "warm" over "analytical.  I liked the ESW9's, though they felt "bloated" in the upper midrange.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I would suggest the Phiaton MS300. A sort of grado-like sound signature, warmer tone, closed design, great detailing throughout the spectrum with a nice punchy bass and clear yet not shrill highs.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #2,807 of 29,490

Quote:
The entire Beyer DT line has many different impedance models for the same headphones. The 880s come standard at 250 Ohm. They also make 32 Ohm and 600 Ohm versions.

Here's the 32 Ohm ones. http://www.amazon.com/Beyer-Dynamic-Premium-32-Headphones/dp/B0024NK358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302033407&sr=8-1

That said, I still found the 32 ohm versions a little difficult to drive to loud volumes.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,809 of 29,490
I am sure this question has been asked before but what are the best unamped open cans I can get for around the ~$100 range. I am not an audiophile, I am just looking for something that will sound great plugged into my computer, be fairly comfortable to wear for long periods of time, and is good for rock music.

The grado SR 60s seem a decent choice, but I was wondering if there is anything better out there.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,814 of 29,490

Do NOT buy those Pioneers. Just grab your M50s are be much happier.

The low end Pioneer cans are just awful. HDJ 2000s are nice, but still not up to part with a lot of stuff in the price range, IMO.

EDIT: The M50s shine with those genres as well, so it's even more of a reason to get them. Pioneer headphones prey somewhat on people that want to stick to one brand when buying DJ gear.

Quote:
I was set on the ATH-M50 until a friend told me to forget about them and get the pioneer HDJ-500: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/44/216/2183/HDJ-500-W/index.html
i can get the M50 for ~$140 and the pioneers are ~$125
listen to mainly house, hiphop and have been getting into a bit of dubstep

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #2,815 of 29,490

Alright cool
bigsmile_face.gif

Also my friend does have a lot of pioneer DJ equipment so that makes sense that he would tell me to buy those...
Quote:

The low end Pioneer cans are just awful. HDJ 2000s are nice, but still not up to part with a lot of stuff in the price range, IMO.

EDIT: The M50s shine with those genres as well, so it's even more of a reason to get them. Pioneer headphones prey somewhat on people that want to stick to one brand when buying DJ gear.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #2,816 of 29,490

Quote:

+ 1  Pioneer don't get a mention on here.  If it is not on here usually = crap  
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,817 of 29,490

Don't get me wrong. Pioneer makes EXCELLENT DJ gear. I owned a Pioneer rig (CDJ 800 MK IIs, DJM 800) when I was DJing frequently. I loved it. Tell your friend to step it up and buy himself the Xone 53 Headphones. By far my favorite cans to mix with. :D

Enjoy your M50s.
Quote:
Alright cool
bigsmile_face.gif

Also my friend does have a lot of pioneer DJ equipment so that makes sense that he would tell me to buy those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back