++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2,746 of 29,490
My goldring NS1000 have finally cracked looking to replace them what would be a good upgrade please bear in mind these headphones are considered giant killers when paired with an E5 amp.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,747 of 29,490
Ultrasone Pro 900. If you love Ultrasone sound...Oh man.

Quote:
Yeah, what I like about the Ultrasone is the S-Logic.  I listen to my music quite loud and absolutely no fatigue after a long session.  Also, am in a similar situation concerning amps/dac.  I am so satisfied with my headphone now I can't imagine how much better it can get since it is already so good.  Not sure whether I should buy the amp/dac.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,748 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi there I am looking for a closed can for electronic music production around 150 UK pounds some options I have seen are k240, k271, a700 and m50. I mainly produce drum and bass and want something fairly analytical

Am I heading in the right direction with those cans? which ones would you lean towards? would appreciate some advice as I am a bit lost cheers dudes

Go with the K240 or 271 depending if you want open or closed (the closed will give you a better feel for the bass, the open will be slightly more resolving but you have to contend with outside noise). The A700 has a bit too much resonance for proper production work, and the M50 does not present a balanced spectrum.

Quote:
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how the Marshall Major headphones compare to CAL - heard a lot about CAL on these threads but like the look of the Marshall Major's. 

I listen to a lot of dubstep so good bass would be great.

Please help.

Thanks

Being rather new headphones, you'll probably have better luck doing a search on the forums for any impressions.

Quote:
I am in market for a closed headphone to go along with hm601. I am thinking either to go with ATH-ESW9A or the HD25 II with the 650 cable. What do you guys think? NMy budget is $400 maximum. I want an all rounder. I already own ER4 and TF10 so i am in market for the close headphones (closed as I hate it when I hear other people music I dont wnat my music to leak.

Your best bets for passive isolation:
Senn HD280
Beyer DT770
Senn HD25-1-ii

The ESW9a is a very nice headphone, but only average for isolation.

Quote:
Hi,

I currently own a pair of Grado Sr-80is.  I'm looking to upgrade my listening situation a bit, and I've come to a bit of a dilemma.  Do I buy a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s even though I can't afford to buy a headphone amp or a dac at this time, or do I go with Grado Sr-325is, a headphone that I understand is less needy of amplification?  Will the unamped HD600s be an improvement over my SR-80s?  Of course I plan to eventually buy an amp and dac, but it would likely be a while before I could afford them.  An alternative answer that I've been considering is to buy Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs for portable/metro use.

What do you all think?

I would recommend the HD25-1-ii. It's sturdy and rugged and it's always nice to have the option for portability.

The SR325 is generally considered the "brightest" of the Grado family. Consider it if you really like the SR80 and want more bite to your music. In the same vein is the Alessandro MS2. Both also have a potential Magnum upgrade in the future. Another possibility is to buy another 60 or 80 and mod them (there's a huge Grado modding thread on the forums that's well worth looking into). I've modded two myself quite easily and the changes are noticeable.

I would put the HD600 plans on the shelf for now unless you plan to plug them into a home receiver or something for power. They're ok out of an ipod or similar device, but will feel a bit sluggish and won't go terribly loud.

Quote:
Yeah, what I like about the Ultrasone is the S-Logic.  I listen to my music quite loud and absolutely no fatigue after a long session.  Also, am in a similar situation concerning amps/dac.  I am so satisfied with my headphone now I can't imagine how much better it can get since it is already so good.  Not sure whether I should buy the amp/dac.

If you are happy with what you have... stop spending money and be satisfied. To wonder about "what's next" can only lead to madness and poor wallets and broken souls
tongue.gif

Quote:
My goldring NS1000 have finally cracked looking to replace them what would be a good upgrade please bear in mind these headphones are considered giant killers when paired with an E5 amp.

I'll just say HD25-1-ii for the third time today since you didn't give us any other requirements or budget.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #2,749 of 29,490
Ok got a question for you guys.  I have been looking through the forums for about a week now but would like to ask you you guys.

So my wife goes to bed ealier then I do on the weekends, so I have time to myself at night.  The problem is I can't turn the volume up.  I am looking for a gaming/movies headset.  I have my eyes set right now on the Senn HD 558 but would like to know if anyone has any other advice.   I was planning to use the TB DSS or the astro mixamp, but (i also need to update my receiver) I think i might get a yamaha receiver and use the silent cinema. 

I am looking to spend up to a max 250 ( but lower is better ).  Again gaming/movies and for gaming it will be mostly single player games. 

Thanks in advance.   

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,750 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok got a question for you guys.  I have been looking through the forums for about a week now but would like to ask you you guys.

So my wife goes to bed ealier then I do on the weekends, so I have time to myself at night.  The problem is I can't turn the volume up.  I am looking for a gaming/movies headset.  I have my eyes set right now on the Senn HD 558 but would like to know if anyone has any other advice.   I was planning to use the TB DSS or the astro mixamp, but (i also need to update my receiver) I think i might get a yamaha receiver and use the silent cinema. 

I am looking to spend up to a max 250 ( but lower is better ).  Again gaming/movies and for gaming it will be mostly single player games. 

Thanks in advance.   

You might want to look at this guide and put more weight on the fun factor rather than the competitive rating.

EDIT:  Crap! Forgot the link!

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2,751 of 29,490

Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 900. If you love Ultrasone sound...Oh man.

errr... I just bought my Ultrasone DJ1s recently to upgrade again... lol.  I tried the Pro 900 the other day and loved it but I think I am going to build up my headphone collections for my other genre of music before upgrade upwards.  I use to listen to 70% pop and 30% hard dance but now I am listening to about 80% hard dance because of the headphone.  Oh unexpectedly jazz is good on it as well.  But deffo when the times come to upgrade, will look at Pro 900 or the open Ultrasones.

Quote:
If you are happy with what you have... stop spending money and be satisfied. To wonder about "what's next" can only lead to madness and poor wallets and broken souls 
tongue.gif

Yeah, I am just curious how the e7/e9 will improve my headphones.  I can't think of how much better it can get so want to buy one just to see lmao.  Probably put it on the back burner for now until I get more headphones.  
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #2,752 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks in advance.   

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2,754 of 29,490
I asked a question like this a few days ago. Sorry for the repetition and thanks for the responses! I've refined what I'm looking for and repeated for anyone who didn't read the original:

I'm using a ipod classic w/ almost all lossless (some 320, though now I only buy cds) and have no amp now. I find the music I listen to most depends on the earphone I'm currently in love with, but mostly consistently its classical and jazz w/ smattering of others. W/ something analytical, I love baroque; something warmer, I love symphonies and jazz.

I'm looking to get in at $400-500 dollars for open earphones and amp total. I'm open to get an amp/dac, if you think the improvement at that price range will clearly beat an ipod classic w/line out, and still drive the headphones. I'd probably prefer to use the ipod if you think its worth it and get into a dac in the future. I'm looking at all the usual suspects.Depending on your suggestions, obvious possibilities are the E9 (w/ or w/o E7), Asgard, Audinst, HD600, HD650 or DT880 (600)? I don't need super analytical because I have the ER4P/S to satisfy that craving...

I guess the question is what's the best combo for that price.  I'm torn between the HD600 and HD650, especially because of the difficulty amping the HD650 at my price range, though the E9 might. I find the DT880 600 the other major contender.

So...
Should I stick w/ the ipod and get an amp and headphones? Which ones would you vote for?
OR
Should I get an amp/dac and headphones? Which ones would you vote for?

Tell me the set up I should buy! (please)

I would probably buy new, and would be open to adding/upgrading components in the future, but would probably need to wait a year or so.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #2,755 of 29,490

Quote:
Go with the K240 or 271 depending if you want open or closed (the closed will give you a better feel for the bass, the open will be slightly more resolving but you have to contend with outside noise). The A700 has a bit too much resonance for proper production work, and the M50 does not present a balanced spectrum.

Thanks for this Armaegis, I was leaning towards the K271.  anything else I should consider or just go for it?  

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2,756 of 29,490

Quote:
Have you owned ns1000's ?

No, but I have owned and/or heard many around the same price bracket. And we still need to know what you're looking for in a headphone as well as budget before we can offer any sort of suggestions that won't simply be random favourites.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2,757 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for this Armaegis, I was leaning towards the K271.  anything else I should consider or just go for it?  

Both the K240 and 271 like to have a little more power behind them. What will be your source? Any mixing board or recording interface should have a decent headphone out.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2,758 of 29,490

Quote:
I asked a question like this a few days ago. Sorry for the repetition and thanks for the responses! I've refined what I'm looking for and repeated for anyone who didn't read the original:

I'm using a ipod classic w/ almost all lossless (some 320, though now I only buy cds) and have no amp now. I find the music I listen to most depends on the earphone I'm currently in love with, but mostly consistently its classical and jazz w/ smattering of others. W/ something analytical, I love baroque; something warmer, I love symphonies and jazz.

I'm looking to get in at $400-500 dollars for open earphones and amp total. I'm open to get an amp/dac, if you think the improvement at that price range will clearly beat an ipod classic w/line out, and still drive the headphones. I'd probably prefer to use the ipod if you think its worth it and get into a dac in the future. I'm looking at all the usual suspects.Depending on your suggestions, obvious possibilities are the E9 (w/ or w/o E7), Asgard, Audinst, HD600, HD650 or DT880 (600)? I don't need super analytical because I have the ER4P/S to satisfy that craving...

I guess the question is what's the best combo for that price.  I'm torn between the HD600 and HD650, especially because of the difficulty amping the HD650 at my price range, though the E9 might. I find the DT880 600 the other major contender.

So...
Should I stick w/ the ipod and get an amp and headphones? Which ones would you vote for?
OR

I would probably buy new, and would be open to adding/upgrading components in the future, but would probably need to wait a year or so.

My favourite though completely non-portable setup is a vintage AKG K240 Sextett with the Bottlehead Crack amp. If you don't mind building it yourself, the whole thing can be had within your budget.

You could also get a K701 with the e7+e9 combo within budget (barely) which I've heard very good things about. The K701 is quite nice for jazz and classical.

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2,759 of 29,490

Quote:

So...
OR

I would get a DAC/amp. It leaves you with room to expand your setup in the future, and the iPod's DAC is pretty shabby.
The HD650 and HD600 are known for sounding warm, albeit the HD600s less so. I wouldn't really consider the DT880s for your type of music because they have a smaller soundstage and a trebly, 'analytical' sound. For the $200 or so you have left, you could get a Yulong U100, FUBAR III, Audinst MX1 or that new Uber Muzik Tiny Tube.

Try searching '200 amp dac' in the search bar. I guarantee you'll find some worthy choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back