++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #14,776 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I have a pair of Koss Portapros and they were the first headphones that 'wowed' me. But, I've been interested in a serious upgrade. This time I want something with a closed back. I've looked at the ATH-M50, MVR-V6, Denon D1100 and a few others. I hear great things about the M50s, but a friend told me the D1100 were far superior and in a similar price range. But, I've heard the 1100s are really bass heavy?

I'll be running these primarily from my iPod or computer. I won't be using a headphone amp and I'd like them to be of good build quality. Anything with isolate better than the PortaPro, so I'm not too worried about heavy isolation, as long as they do a half decent job.

I'm open to comments on the headphones I've mentioned and other suggestions as well. Price range is around $150 give or take.

Are you looking for something bright and mid-centric like the Porta-Pro or something bright and bass heavy with recessed mids like the M50?

May 16, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #14,777 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd grab the d5000 ehile theyre still availale (check the deals thread) and then do some modding
smily_headphones1.gif
or actually, take apart the earcups and see if you just need to resolder the wire. Saves you money
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise the dt990 is probably your best bet .

Those d5000s out of my price range, I'm considering buying d2000s again before the price spikes even more from the discontinuation.  The driver is definitely dead, no continuity through the pcb.  How do the hd598s compare to d2000s?

May 16, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #14,778 of 29,490
Quote:
 How do the hd598s compare to d2000s?

They are very different.  The D2000 has recessed mids, while the 598 has the luscious Senn mids.  The D2000 has the bass/sub bass that the HD 598 can't match.  The soundstage is the 598 is vastly superior.  Both are very comfortable, but the 598 a bit more so.

May 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #14,779 of 29,490
Hello i want to buy good headphones,but not too much expensive. I am listening to different kinds of music,the most old rock,grunge,pop,blues, songs from 70s,80s,90s. First,i wanted to buy skullcandy hesh but i read that they aren't good. so what do you recomend to me? please tell me becouse i need good headphones.. 

May 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #14,781 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello i want to buy good headphones,but not too much expensive. I am listening to different kinds of music,the most old rock,grunge,pop,blues, songs from 70s,80s,90s. First,i wanted to buy skullcandy hesh but i read that they aren't good. so what do you recomend to me? please tell me becouse i need good headphones.. 

Well, your best bet is probably the grado sr60 of sr80. If you need closed headphones though, I think you should go with the shure srh440

May 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #14,782 of 29,490
Quote:

Do you want open (leaks sound to outside world) or closed?  From what do you play your music?  What is your budget?

May 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #14,783 of 29,490
Looking for a Closed Headphone that looks good for outdoor/indoor use that also has a great Bass and it all round good at everything. I play games a lot and listen to mostly rock/sometimes classic. Price Required 300 USD at max.

May 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #14,784 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a Closed Headphone that looks good for outdoor/indoor use that also has a great Bass and it all round good at everything. I play games a lot and listen to mostly rock/sometimes classic. Price Required 300 USD at max.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50s is the best one easily.

Lots of bass for you, and its ~$140USD @ amazon I think.

So now you have some money left over to upgrade GPU (Pick a 7850), buy diablo 3 etc.

May 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #14,785 of 29,490
Now im using ath es 7. For me the soundquality is very2 good. But my ears become red after using it for only 1 hour. Even after i did the modification, its better but still have discomfort.

So im looking for another headphones. I tried my friends bose quietcomfort 15, it really2 nice. But too expensive for me.

My budget is from 150-250 max.

Im looking at ath m50s or ANC7b currently
based on internet, ive found some headphones that are under my budget:
Shure SRH440, SRH840
Koss TBSE1
Brainwavz HM5
Beyerdynamic DT440
ATH-TAD5-, AD700,
AKG k540

but i dont know, too many choices out there,i need sound that match my es 7 or better than that.
Recommendation please :)

Btw im listening to pop n rnb songs.

May 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #14,786 of 29,490
Didn't notice this thread until after I posted a request one, oops.

Looking for some circumaural headphones, closed or open. I prefer larger soundstages, but I might have to lean towards some closed cans since I'm moving in with a new roommate, but either works. 

My music tastes are very eclectic and I listen to a large variety of genres. Looking for something preferably neutral sounding, but a small emphasis on bass or a slight v shaped sound is fine too.

I was looking at Fischer Audio fa-011s but I'm not sure sure, help?

May 17, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #14,787 of 29,490
Quote:
Didn't notice this thread until after I posted a request one, oops.

Looking for some circumaural headphones, closed or open. I prefer larger soundstages, but I might have to lean towards some closed cans since I'm moving in with a new roommate, but either works. 

My music tastes are very eclectic and I listen to a large variety of genres. Looking for something preferably neutral sounding, but a small emphasis on bass or a slight v shaped sound is fine too.

I was looking at Fischer Audio fa-011s but I'm not sure sure, help?

What is your budget and sources from which you play your music?

May 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #14,788 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade my home heaphones,  Currently using ultrasone pro550 with a Fiio 10 connected to my desktop.  The sound quality is not bad and the 10 drives them adequately.  However, I find myself looking for more clarity in my headphones.  Ive heard the akg q701s, Beyer Teslas, Senn 650s and Grado 225 are all great cans but which to get is the question.  Im by no means an experienced headphile.  Suggestions please?  The music lgenres listend to most are hiphop (tribe called quest), classic rock(zepplin,boston,queen etc), classic metal (Iron maiden), Hair (white snake) and a bit of intrumental jazz (miles, dave brubeck  etc).  

Additionally Im trying to put together a potable rig with high sound quality on a budget, I ride the train here in tokyo daily and would like spend the 2 hours a day listening to hgiher quality tracks.  I run through my ipod or through my htc phone , with a e-11 attached.  Current headphones are vmoda lp2s.  Have been looking at phiatone (carbon fiber ones) B&W p5 and Grado Sr 80.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

May 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #14,789 of 29,490
Quote:
Now im using ath es 7. For me the soundquality is very2 good. But my ears become red after using it for only 1 hour. Even after i did the modification, its better but still have discomfort.
So im looking for another headphones. I tried my friends bose quietcomfort 15, it really2 nice. But too expensive for me.
My budget is from 150-250 max.
Im looking at ath m50s or ANC7b currently
based on internet, ive found some headphones that are under my budget:
Shure SRH440, SRH840
Koss TBSE1
Brainwavz HM5
Beyerdynamic DT440
ATH-TAD5-, AD700,
AKG k540
but i dont know, too many choices out there,i need sound that match my es 7 or better than that.
Recommendation please
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw im listening to pop n rnb songs.

for now i might go with ath m50 (coiled),
the second one that i still think of is shure srh840
but if anyone can give recommendation. it would be really nice

May 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #14,790 of 29,490
I have a 200$ budget. I often listen to punk rock, and some acoustic songs. Bands would include Third Eye  Blind, Blink 182, Seether, Bowling for soup, Simple Plan, ect. I would prefer decent isolation, and closed back. I currently own Audio Technica ES7's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back