++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #14,746 of 29,490
I'm getting really pissed off with all the threads outside this thread asking about headphones to be recommended and I hope they get a warn or something. Sorry that sounded mean.

Well, I'd like to ask for advice about a gift I want to give. I just need a headphone that does well unamped, semi-portable, and can be good as a starter headphone. This will probably be paired often times with a phone or a laptop. It doesn't have to be open or closed.

Budget is $120 at most.

Also, NO audio-technica M50. :frowning2: so sick of everyone recommending those headphones, I get it they sound good but I don't feel justified for $156.

Thanks.

May 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #14,747 of 29,490
I'm getting really pissed off with all the threads outside this thread asking about headphones to be recommended and I hope they get a warn or something. Sorry that sounded mean.

Well, I'd like to ask for advice about a gift I want to give. I just need a headphone that does well unamped, semi-portable, and can be good as a starter headphone. This will probably be paired often times with a phone or a laptop. It doesn't have to be open or closed.

Budget is $120 at most.

Also, NO audio-technica M50. :frowning2: so sick of everyone recommending those headphones, I get it they sound good but I don't feel justified for $156.

Thanks.

This thread has some good suggestions in it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/606725/best-100-headphone

May 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #14,748 of 29,490
Quote:

Budget is $120 at most.

Thanks.

The best one I can think of is the Alessandro MS-1.  Admittedly a bit risky on sound signature and comfort for some, but it has that great Grado sound with just a little of the brightness toned down.  It's a great value.

May 15, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #14,749 of 29,490

Yeah, didn't even know this existed until now, would help a lot of it was stickied or something. Hard to find something you didn't know you were looking for or existed.

I don't like making new threads and I did earlier. When I get a little closer to my purchase date I'll probably look here again, looking at the AD-700 currently.

May 15, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #14,750 of 29,490
How are the Audio Technica ES7?  I'm mainly trying to find a reasonably priced online retailer, but they seem a tad expensive for their price range.  Currently I'm seeing them for 130~140, and am wondering if their quality are worth the jump vs the other ones I've listed.  

May 15, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #14,751 of 29,490
Hi,
My first message on head-fi :) Not quite a newbie in headphone world, but not an expert.
I need a little advice. For years i used (not so often) Grado SR60, very pleased by the sound but the confort is ruinning my pleasure. After 30-40-60 min i cannot use them, my head and years hurt too much. i also have Sennheiser PX100, very light, but still, after one hour i feel pressure. The glasses might have something to do with it. So i have pretty sensitive ears and head :)

Recently i bought Fiio E7 and now i'm looking for a good comfortable around the ear headphones. After searching pretty much, there are 3 models i chose but i don't have the chance to listen to them so i'm asking you about: Sennheiser HD439, HD449 and HD518. I don't need booming bass, but i know all of them have enough. So main concern is confort, reviews claim that all of them are very comfortable. About the sound quality, 439 and 449 are in about the same price range so i would chose the one with more detailed, musical sound, 449 seems to be like this, 439 being bass oriented. Any other big difference between those 2?

What about HD518, is it worth the extra 30 euros? They have the lowest price in hi-end area, i'm sure they're good. But are they noticeable better then the other 2? Portability might be also in discussion, from all, 439 seems most portable having 2 detachable cables. Fiio E7 is also portable amp so i think all heapphones might be carried around.

Other choices might be AKG, Koss PortaPro so i'm open for suggestions. Price range: max 100 euros, but i'd prefer around 60-70 euros and one of 3 Senns.

Thanx in advance.

May 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #14,752 of 29,490
Quote:

Budget is $120 at most.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=pd_cp_e_0 $131GOGOGO!

May 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #14,753 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
My first message on head-fi :) Not quite a newbie in headphone world, but not an expert.
I need a little advice. For years i used (not so often) Grado SR60, very pleased by the sound but the confort is ruinning my pleasure. After 30-40-60 min i cannot use them, my head and years hurt too much.

Bowl pads + anti-aging cream + padding for headband + different glasses frame.

Problem solved, plus keeping those headphones. The bowls will probably improve your hearing experience (the anti-aging was a joke BTW, see how you spelled ears in the quote).

Quote:

Budget is $120 at most.

Thanks.

Umm... Audio-technica M50 :p

What country OP? Those amazon M50s are pretty tempting. Otherwise Alessandro MS-1s with a wooden cup look (If you DIY could get it done) looks really impressive. If the gift is for non-enthusiast however; then get a brand name (Sennheiser, Shure or Sony) since assuming you're young, Brand name > Sound Quality.

May 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #14,754 of 29,490
Quote:
Bowl pads + anti-aging cream + padding for headband + different glasses frame.
Problem solved, plus keeping those headphones. The bowls will probably improve your hearing experience (the anti-aging was a joke BTW, see how you spelled ears in the quote).

Yeah :) i'm not native english speaker so i think i often do such mistakes 
tongue_smile.gif
 You're right, the best would be to keep Grado, there are 2 options then:
1. listen 3-4 songs then rest a while
2. do what you said :) Bowl pads, you mean pads that go around the ear, right? Are these for sale or i should somehow make some on my own? Do pads for other types of headphones fit?
BTW, what cream do you prefer? :p

May 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #14,755 of 29,490
Hi all,

Sorry for the noob post, I've been going through posts to find the headphones that suit me. I decided on Ultrasone Pro 900 earlier, but there's none left in my country, and buying from abroad is kinda painful here.

So if you guys can suggest some other options for me I'll be glad. I listen to electronic music mostly deep house, progressive house, electro stuff so bass is very important. Price range should be around Ultrasone Pro 900.

Thanks in advance !

May 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #14,756 of 29,490
how much do ultrasone pro 900 cost in your country?
Then we can gather some suitable headphones...

May 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #14,757 of 29,490
Quote:
Yeah :) i'm not native english speaker so i think i often do such mistakes 
tongue_smile.gif
 You're right, the best would be to keep Grado, there are 2 options then:
1. listen 3-4 songs then rest a while
2. do what you said :) Bowl pads, you mean pads that go around the ear, right? Are these for sale or i should somehow make some on my own? Do pads for other types of headphones fit?
BTW, what cream do you prefer? :p

Don't know what brand my one is - covers up all those hours staying up listening to music :)

The bowl pads are made by grade and are available everywhere - they are the L-Cush ones: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-L-Cush-Large-Replacement-Cushions/dp/B0006GCCO0/ - $20USD  (DONT GRAB THE G-CUSH UNLESS YOU HAVE A PAIR OF DIVIDERS FOR THEM). Amazon UK sells them as well; albeit for a more princely sum.

May 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #14,758 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the noob post, I've been going through posts to find the headphones that suit me. I decided on Ultrasone Pro 900 earlier, but there's none left in my country, and buying from abroad is kinda painful here.

So if you guys can suggest some other options for me I'll be glad. I listen to electronic music mostly deep house, progressive house, electro stuff so bass is very important. Price range should be around Ultrasone Pro 900.

Thanks in advance !

Consider HFi2400's from Ultrasone. And other headphones of similar sound signature would be Beyerdynamic DT990 probably.

May 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #14,759 of 29,490
I currently have the AD700 - which I have really enjoyed.  However, I've been looking to upgrade a bit.  I originally got the AD700 because of it's highly extolled virtue in gaming (positional sound) coupled with it's relatively high quality compared to most "gaming" headsets.  To those ends, it has treated me very well.  I really enjoy the wide open feel of them, and the comfort levels is great (after the rubber band trick - these things are huge).

I'm looking to in the range of $150-250, considering the following:

K702
HD598
AD900

For sound on my PC (where it is most often used), I either use an X-fi card or my FiiO e10.

I've been reading up on the forums and the like trying to get a handle on the differences between the three I'm considering.  From what I can tell, it sounds like K702 requires amping.  Would the e10 accomplish this well enough?

I'm looking to have a large, accurate sound stage to, at the minimum, maintain the gaming prowess - but of course this is also a boon for music.  Essentially looking to move up to a fuller sound.  Do you guys have any suggestions on a good all rounder, considering I'm upgrading from AD700 with about a 50/50 mix of music and gaming?

Feel free to drop some alternatives as well, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

May 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #14,760 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have the AD700 - which I have really enjoyed.  However, I've been looking to upgrade a bit.  I originally got the AD700 because of it's highly extolled virtue in gaming (positional sound) coupled with it's relatively high quality compared to most "gaming" headsets.  To those ends, it has treated me very well.  I really enjoy the wide open feel of them, and the comfort levels is great (after the rubber band trick - these things are huge).

I'm looking to in the range of $150-250, considering the following:

K702
HD598
AD900

For sound on my PC (where it is most often used), I either use an X-fi card or my FiiO e10.

I've been reading up on the forums and the like trying to get a handle on the differences between the three I'm considering.  From what I can tell, it sounds like K702 requires amping.  Would the e10 accomplish this well enough?

I'm looking to have a large, accurate sound stage to, at the minimum, maintain the gaming prowess - but of course this is also a boon for music.  Essentially looking to move up to a fuller sound.  Do you guys have any suggestions on a good all rounder, considering I'm upgrading from AD700 with about a 50/50 mix of music and gaming?

Feel free to drop some alternatives as well, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

K702 really needs a good amp to sound good. AD900 would not offer a much fuller sound than 700's. HD598's would probably be the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back