++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #14,716 of 29,490
Hi there! I seek some advice, buying new headphones. :)

Well, I got screwed over with a brand new Denon d7000, so i'm sort of afraid paying so much on a pair of headphones that incase of a problem occurring nobody will help me, so first of all.. costumer service is really important to me (so please add a good online shop\site\dealer or whatever, I live in the middle east and you can't find good stores around).
Beside that, I'm looking for an open back phones, with a portable amp (i've heard Ray Samuels has some good quality amps).

I like listening mostly to Metal (power, prog, death, hard rock etc).

As for money, i guess i can set a hard budget of.. 1200+- dollars for the phones, and maybe 200+- for the amp, considering the fact that I will get butchered for the shipping prices, thats the best i can spend on these phones.

Thanks for the replies. :)

May 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #14,717 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey Guys, Since I will be going to college in about a year. I want a set of headphones that are either semi open or closed back but I want the feel of a open can. I have a budget of 500 USD for an amp + headphone. My original thoughts were of getting a E17 + Hd598 but sincve E17 are not readily available it is difficult.
I have about 400 USD amazon credit so I prefer from buying from amazon.
I play videogames on my computer, I enjoy listening to music and I would like to have some type of bass that give is noticeable. I listen to a lot of Rock, Classic, sometimes Pop music. I also prefer the headphones to not be ugly like the Beyerdynamics thanks!

Where are you going to be using these headphones? Also, will you be rooming with other people? If you're thinking about using them out and about, an open back headphone is a poor idea because they leak a lot of sound.

May 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #14,718 of 29,490
Quote:
hello. i would like to get a recommendation for some headphones. i own a pair of swan MKIII speakers and while i love them, i also love my music loud sometimes and where i'm living doesn't really play fair with that. so while i may sell the speakers, i at least would like a headphone setup that can match or out do the speakers until i am able to get some when i am able to listen to whatever volume i please.

i would prefer a headphone that has bass in it but not a lot. just enough. a punch and some feeling to it but not bloated or crazy. it's there when it needs to be and gone when it's not necessary. i'm a bit fond on treble and midrange. so i suppose i'm looking for a "neutral" headphone. i would also prefer it to have some isloation but not completely. open is not a deal breaker, but completely closed is. i have a DAC (HRT Streamer II), but if there is one i could use as an upgrade i am willing to make the change. 

my budget is $800. i'm looking forward to your suggestions.

May 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #14,723 of 29,490
Quote:
I am aware that open backs will be bad. That is why I prefer semi-open or closed 

So, closed back for sure then. I just wondering since you mentioned getting the HD598, which is an open can. In your price range there a lot of suggestions for the ATH-M50, HD25-1 II, M80, and SRH840. I have no experience with any of these, but I'm sure some more experienced members will second these. This will also leave with a nice budget for an amp left-over. As for finding an amp read up on the previously mention headphones, choose one, and learn what would be the best to be paired with each.

May 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #14,726 of 29,490
Can someone help me decide on a soundcard for my HD598?

Will they sound better with the Asus Xonar ST or the Creative X-FI Titanium HD? Which one do you guys reccomend for gaming?

Asus Xonar ST, creative will give you numerous headaches; plus the xonar has better spe s overall. The wideness of your soundstage will make more difference than either of the two soundcards.

May 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #14,728 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm wondering if I should get the DT 770 Pro LE... I can get my hands on it for $80 which seems like a fantastic price.
Or the Pro700mk2ANV for $300.
Both are almost brand new.

GET THE DT 770 PRO NOW! That price is really good!

May 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #14,729 of 29,490
So I already ordered a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 which will be for my home use, but currently I'm looking for something that I can use on the go.  Portability and noise isolation would be nice, though honestly I'd consider anything under 100.  Also they must be pretty durable and can work with an ipod nano.  Currently the ones I'm looking at are:

AKG Acoustics K240 - $80
Koss PortaPro - $33 
Sony MDR-V6 - $77
Grado SR-60i - $79
Fostex T50RP - $84
Shure SRH-440 - $78

Music I listen to is pretty much all genres, but quite a bit have female vocals.  Reasons I'm considering the bigger headphones is because I might consider trying out modding later on.  Also I currently have no portable amp.  My preference is toward over ear rather then on ear, but the price tag of $33 vs everything else is kind of hard to just let slip by.  Also I live in Hawaii, so it limits a lot of online retailers, most of these prices are based off of Amazon.  Thanks for any input!

Right now I'm really leaning towards the KossPortaPro or the AKG K240.  

May 14, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #14,730 of 29,490
Quote:
So I already ordered a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 which will be for my home use, but currently I'm looking for something that I can use on the go.  Portability and noise isolation would be nice, though honestly I'd consider anything under 100.  Also they must be pretty durable and can work with an ipod nano.  Currently the ones I'm looking at are:

AKG Acoustics K240 - $80
Koss PortaPro - $33 
Sony MDR-V6 - $77
Grado SR-60i - $79
Fostex T50RP - $84
Shure SRH-440 - $78

Music I listen to is pretty much all genres, but quite a bit have female vocals.  Reasons I'm considering the bigger headphones is because I might consider trying out modding later on.  Also I currently have no portable amp.  My preference is toward over ear rather then on ear, but the price tag of $33 vs everything else is kind of hard to just let slip by.  Also I live in Hawaii, so it limits a lot of online retailers, most of these prices are based off of Amazon.  Thanks for any input!

Right now I'm really leaning towards the KossPortaPro or the AKG K240.  

The Porta Pro sounds great for the price, but isn't very sturdy and will leak.  The AKG has an OK build and will leak a bit--if that will work for you it's a good choice.  The Shure is a good can in this class (at least as good as the Sony) that is very solidly built and is closed.  The Grado leaks a great deal and has comfort issues for many.

You may also want to take a look at the KRK KNS6400, is its available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back