++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #14,762 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have the AD700 - which I have really enjoyed.  However, I've been looking to upgrade a bit.  I originally got the AD700 because of it's highly extolled virtue in gaming (positional sound) coupled with it's relatively high quality compared to most "gaming" headsets.  To those ends, it has treated me very well.  I really enjoy the wide open feel of them, and the comfort levels is great (after the rubber band trick - these things are huge).

I'm looking to in the range of $150-250, considering the following:

K702
HD598
AD900

For sound on my PC (where it is most often used), I either use an X-fi card or my FiiO e10.

I've been reading up on the forums and the like trying to get a handle on the differences between the three I'm considering.  From what I can tell, it sounds like K702 requires amping.  Would the e10 accomplish this well enough?

I'm looking to have a large, accurate sound stage to, at the minimum, maintain the gaming prowess - but of course this is also a boon for music.  Essentially looking to move up to a fuller sound.  Do you guys have any suggestions on a good all rounder, considering I'm upgrading from AD700 with about a 50/50 mix of music and gaming?

Feel free to drop some alternatives as well, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I'd recommend the Q 701 if you amp or the HD 598 if you don't.  Both are excellent cans but with very different sound signatures.

May 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #14,763 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,
My first message on head-fi :) Not quite a newbie in headphone world, but not an expert.
I need a little advice. For years i used (not so often) Grado SR60, very pleased by the sound but the confort is ruinning my pleasure. After 30-40-60 min i cannot use them, my head and years hurt too much. i also have Sennheiser PX100, very light, but still, after one hour i feel pressure. The glasses might have something to do with it. So i have pretty sensitive ears and head :)

Recently i bought Fiio E7 and now i'm looking for a good comfortable around the ear headphones. After searching pretty much, there are 3 models i chose but i don't have the chance to listen to them so i'm asking you about: Sennheiser HD439, HD449 and HD518. I don't need booming bass, but i know all of them have enough. So main concern is confort, reviews claim that all of them are very comfortable. About the sound quality, 439 and 449 are in about the same price range so i would chose the one with more detailed, musical sound, 449 seems to be like this, 439 being bass oriented. Any other big difference between those 2?

What about HD518, is it worth the extra 30 euros? They have the lowest price in hi-end area, i'm sure they're good. But are they noticeable better then the other 2? Portability might be also in discussion, from all, 439 seems most portable having 2 detachable cables. Fiio E7 is also portable amp so i think all heapphones might be carried around.

Other choices might be AKG, Koss PortaPro so i'm open for suggestions. Price range: max 100 euros, but i'd prefer around 60-70 euros and one of 3 Senns.

Thanx in advance.

Unless the AKG is the Q 701, I would go with the highest in Senn 5x8 series you can afford.  While they are all comfortable, but comfort and (unmodded) sound quality increases as you go up the line from the HD 518 to the HD 598.   This series is Senn's gateway to audiophile level cans.

May 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #14,764 of 29,490
Quote:

K702 really needs a good amp to sound good. AD900 would not offer a much fuller sound than 700's. HD598's would probably be the best choice.

Thanks!  Currently the most I'd be amping would be from the e10 - and I'm not even sure if that would handle the AKG well enough.  I've heard good things about the HD598 being a good all rounder and not amp picky.  I think I just needed some confirmation of where I was leaning, hah.  Thanks again.

May 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #14,765 of 29,490
Hi,

I have a pair of Koss Portapros and they were the first headphones that 'wowed' me. But, I've been interested in a serious upgrade. This time I want something with a closed back. I've looked at the ATH-M50, MVR-V6, Denon D1100 and a few others. I hear great things about the M50s, but a friend told me the D1100 were far superior and in a similar price range. But, I've heard the 1100s are really bass heavy?

I'll be running these primarily from my iPod or computer. I won't be using a headphone amp and I'd like them to be of good build quality. Anything with isolate better than the PortaPro, so I'm not too worried about heavy isolation, as long as they do a half decent job.

I'm open to comments on the headphones I've mentioned and other suggestions as well. Price range is around $150 give or take.

May 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #14,766 of 29,490
V sonic gr07 or shure 215 or v moda m80 or for hip hop out of Samsung galaxy s2 or iPod touch. Which of theses is the best sounding with 320Kb og vorbis from MOG this is my first audiophile headphone. Personally which would be best to take to school if I have to worry about th
em being stolen.

May 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #14,768 of 29,490
I wanted advice on what types of headphones I should get. My head isn't too big, and I'd like headphones that won't clasp onto the head, but aren't to... loose either. I listen to a lot of types of music as long as it isn't hip-hop/rap, country, or hardcore rock (I'll listen to a little bit but not much). I have like 200 to spend, and I can stretch like 25 dollars or so if needed. I've seen a lot of conflicting views between headphones like the Sennheiser Hd-25-1 ii and other headphones from them and lots of headphones in general, so I need some good reasons as to why one headphone would be better than another. My general wants is at least decent sound quality, comfortable, portable (including something that doesn't look really ugly, but it doesn't have to look really cool), and I don't really need an amp or whatever since I'll use it mostly for an ipod, my computer, or something of that sort. Pretty much open between open and closed headphones, whichever one is better for portability and comfort... noise-cancellign isn't needed, but sometimes I may be on a school bus or something, so it should have at least decent noise-cancelling. I am willing to compromise to lose something if essentially all my other wants are there.

May 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #14,769 of 29,490
Hi, I know I've been on this thread several times about several different headphones, but I want to make the right choice when spending this much on headphones.

So my question now is: are the alessandro headphones as good at rock as the grados? I understand that they are more neutral and have a slightly wider soundstage, and that the grados are "funner", but I was interested in the MS2's and I was wondering, do these also fare well with rock? Thanks!

P.S. Keep in mind that I have no method or location of trying out any headphones prior to purchase.

May 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #14,770 of 29,490
Quote:
I wanted advice on what types of headphones I should get. My head isn't too big, and I'd like headphones that won't clasp onto the head, but aren't to... loose either. I listen to a lot of types of music as long as it isn't hip-hop/rap, country, or hardcore rock (I'll listen to a little bit but not much). I have like 200 to spend, and I can stretch like 25 dollars or so if needed. I've seen a lot of conflicting views between headphones like the Sennheiser Hd-25-1 ii and other headphones from them and lots of headphones in general, so I need some good reasons as to why one headphone would be better than another. My general wants is at least decent sound quality, comfortable, portable (including something that doesn't look really ugly, but it doesn't have to look really cool), and I don't really need an amp or whatever since I'll use it mostly for an ipod, my computer, or something of that sort. Pretty much open between open and closed headphones, whichever one is better for portability and comfort... noise-cancellign isn't needed, but sometimes I may be on a school bus or something, so it should have at least decent noise-cancelling. I am willing to compromise to lose something if essentially all my other wants are there.

Well, whoever reccomended you the hd25 knows what their doing obviously. Another great choice though is the v moda m80. It has foward mids  and deep bass. The highs are just flat, and v moda did that on purpose so you can you them for long listening sessions. Best of luck!!

May 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #14,771 of 29,490
One of the drivers on my d2000s just died, so I'm in the market for some new headphones.  I decided they were what I was looking for about 4 years ago, but I haven't followed the headphone market since.  What are some good headphones that are of equal or better quality in the same price range that have since come out? I'd prefer something that doesn't have to be amped.  I listen to metal mostly.  It sadly appears that d2000s have gone up in price since I last bought them at $240.  They're still an option, but I would probably rather spend the money on headphones I know will last me longer.

May 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #14,772 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, whoever reccomended you the hd25 knows what their doing obviously. Another great choice though is the v moda m80. It has foward mids  and deep bass. The highs are just flat, and v moda did that on purpose so you can you them for long listening sessions. Best of luck!!

No one recommended it; I just saw how some people liked the hd25, and I was wondering whether it was actually legit or not considering that I have seen a thread where a few people did not like it.

May 15, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #14,773 of 29,490
@SatiSuicune The sennheiser hd25 is one of the best portable headphones, if not the best. The way I look at it there are only 3 great protable headphones; the sennheiser hd 25-II, the v moda m80/v80, and the beyerdt1350. You really can't go wrong with either one for all kinds of music. Oh, if you're a basshead, the aiaiai tma-1 is a great headphone.

May 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #14,774 of 29,490
One of the drivers on my d2000s just died, so I'm in the market for some new headphones.  I decided they were what I was looking for about 4 years ago, but I haven't followed the headphone market since.  What are some good headphones that are of equal or better quality in the same price range that have since come out? I'd prefer something that doesn't have to be amped.  I listen to metal mostly.  It sadly appears that d2000s have gone up in price since I last bought them at $240.  They're still an option, but I would probably rather spend the money on headphones I know will last me longer.

I'd grab the d5000 ehile theyre still availale (check the deals thread) and then do some modding :) or actually, take apart the earcups and see if you just need to resolder the wire. Saves you money :)

Otherwise the dt990 is probably your best bet .

May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #14,775 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I know I've been on this thread several times about several different headphones, but I want to make the right choice when spending this much on headphones.

So my question now is: are the alessandro headphones as good at rock as the grados? I understand that they are more neutral and have a slightly wider soundstage, and that the grados are "funner", but I was interested in the MS2's and I was wondering, do these also fare well with rock? Thanks!

P.S. Keep in mind that I have no method or location of trying out any headphones prior to purchase.

In a word--yes.  They are excellent with rock, blues and (real) country.

As they are based on Grados, they are quite similar.  They (the MS1 & 2 at least)  tend to have the brightness of the Grado toned down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back