++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #14,791 of 29,490
I currently have a $60 budget but i can save up a little more.

I'm currently looking for a headphone with a decent or good soundstage for games/movies and that's good for all sort of genres of music, but mostly recently Liquid DnB, Soundtracks from Games and movies and various rock/classical.

I don't really care for isolation and i don't have an amp currently. I've looked at many headphones but i can't decide, this list includes: JVC HA-RX700, Sony MDR-V6, Grado SR60i, CAL!, Panasonic HTF, Superlux 668b, Samson SR850, Koss ProDJ100.

Thanks in advance.

May 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #14,793 of 29,490
Quote:
I currently have a $60 budget but i can save up a little more.
I'm currently looking for a headphone with a decent or good soundstage for games/movies and that's good for all sort of genres of music, but mostly recently Liquid DnB, Soundtracks from Games and movies and various rock/classical.
I don't really care for isolation and i don't have an amp currently. I've looked at many headphones but i can't decide, this list includes: JVC HA-RX700, Sony MDR-V6, Grado SR60i, CAL!, Panasonic HTF, Superlux 668b, Samson SR850, Koss ProDJ100.

Samson SR850 (Made by Superlux) or Superlux HD668B

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, it's only $20 for Velour ear pads for the panny,
but not the kind of headphone that can take a lot of wear & tear.

May 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #14,794 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm a complete novice at anything audio related so bear with me!

I'm looking to buy my first set of decent headphones, budget is $150 - $230. Will be used 90% of the time for listening to music and gaming on my PC (Asus Xonar DG soundcard). The rest with iPod or hi-fi (no separate amp). Needs to be comfortable for long usage (don't want anything that's going to squeeze the sides of my glasses into my head for hours on end!).

Looking for something with overall good range, bass needs to be crisp and precise but doesn't need to be massively over the top. Good treble etc etc. I listen to most music so anything from rock to jazz to dance/trance to classical.

They'll only be used at home so I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with open rather than closed.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

May 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #14,795 of 29,490
Quote:

A little off topic here, but is it safe to buy from another vendor that isn't amazon? I'm on a really tight budget here and i don't want to buy something and have it be a fake/not work at all.

May 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #14,796 of 29,490
Quote:
A little off topic here, but is it safe to buy from another vendor that isn't amazon? I'm on a really tight budget here and i don't want to buy something and have it be a fake/not work at all.

Yes but generally you want to check if they are a authorized dealer first.  Usually you can do this by going to the headphones manufacturer website and checking if the store is listed under their authorized dealers webpage.  Technically with a lot of headphones on amazon, it's just listed on amazon through a different website such as Beach Camera, Audio-Topia, etc... If your still unsure you can always post on the forums what vendor you want to buy from and someone here will generally tell you if they are trustable or not.

May 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #14,797 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes but generally you want to check if they are a authorized dealer first.  Usually you can do this by going to the headphones manufacturer website and checking if the store is listed under their authorized dealers webpage.  Technically with a lot of headphones on amazon, it's just listed on amazon through a different website such as Beach Camera, Audio-Topia, etc... If your still unsure you can always post on the forums what vendor you want to buy from and someone here will generally tell you if they are trustable or not.

Even on that note, you can probably search the forum to see if a dealer is shady or untrustworthy.

May 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #14,799 of 29,490
Quote:

+1 to Superlux; especially after modding. Nothing but praises from what I've heard.

May 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #14,800 of 29,490
I'm looking for an over the ear headphone that has detail retrieval that meets or exceeds the brainwavz B2/DBA-02 in over the ear form.
I listen to classic rock mainly, and I'll soon have an objective 2 so that will be the amp that will be used.
I don't care about open/closed, I just want the best sound quality. Also, I've tried the Q701, and I really didn't like it at all. But the fiio e7 I had probably didn't do it justice.

May 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #14,801 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for my ideal pair of headphones.

Here are the main points:
  1. Around $150, less than $200
  2. Circumaural
  3. Closed or semi-closed design. (The goal is noise isolation for the dorm I'll be moving into.)
  4. I listen primarily to classical, jazz, blues, reggae, and rock.
  5. Neutral-ish sound
  6. I currently have a Sennheiser HD 555 and a Fiio E7.
  7. I'm open to used headphones in good condition.

Thanks.

EDIT: Right now I'm leaning towards the FA-003. I guess the question is why shouldn't I buy it? Thanks for any advice.

May 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #14,802 of 29,490
Quote:
Are there any headphones that can match the general sound quality, recessed mids, good bass, comfort, and price of the d2000s?

Yes.
The D2000s.

May 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #14,803 of 29,490
I found two headphones that I want to decide on: the vmoda m80/v80 and the Sennheiser HD 25-1-ii. Both are in my price range and are basically the same price. Which one should I get? I listen to basically everything that isn't country, hardcore rock/screamo, or rap/hop-hop. My head isn't big, but it isn't extremely small. Is there a different type of headphones that would be more suitable for me under $200? Thanks!

May 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #14,804 of 29,490
'ello,

I'm looking for a good beginner "setup" (Headphones, amp if it'll help).  My previous experience is limited to Bose on-ear headphones, which were a dramatic improvement on the ***** that I listened to before that.  I'd like a setup that will help bring my level of "audio awareness" up a few notches, and maybe help me fall in love with high quality audio.

I'll be using them at home, in a relatively quiet environment.  I love a wide variety of music - classic rock, rock, classical (vocal and instrumental), alternative, etc - and would like a setup that plays well across the spectrum.  I live in Canada and would like to spend less than $500.  I don't "need" an amp, if you tell me that it's not necessary, but I'm prepared to buy one if required, though that would reduce my budget for the headphones.

I was planning on visiting some stores that allow you to try on headphones tomorrow, to see if I can get a feel for what works for me, but I know that I won't be able to listen to such a broad spectrum of music in-store.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back