++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #14,806 of 29,490
Quote:
I found two headphones that I want to decide on: the vmoda m80/v80 and the Sennheiser HD 25-1-ii. Both are in my price range and are basically the same price. Which one should I get? I listen to basically everything that isn't country, hardcore rock/screamo, or rap/hop-hop. My head isn't big, but it isn't extremely small. Is there a different type of headphones that would be more suitable for me under $200? Thanks!

These are two headphones that get a lot of attention and kudos around here for their build quality and sound. Before I begin I will mention that I have a V-80 and have never listened to a HD-25. Here are some things to consider.

-Will you be wearing them in noisy environments? HD-25
-Do you plan to exercise in them? HD-25
-Do you need a microphone or iDevice/Android controls? M-80
-Is style a concern? M-80

The sound from these two, from what I've heard, are pretty similar with the HD-25 having a bit tighter bass and more brightness and detail in the treble while the M-80 has a better soundstage with a less analytical, more "fun" darker sound that is less fatiguing.

You can't go wrong either way, though.

May 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #14,807 of 29,490
Quote:
  I'd like a setup that will help bring my level of "audio awareness" up a few notches, and maybe help me fall in love with high quality audio.

I think that is a really bad idea. Ignorance is bliss, and audio awareness is expensive 
wink.gif

May 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #14,808 of 29,490
Hey guys,
hope you can give me some advice based on your experience.

I need some semi-pro allaround headphones in the range of around $150.
I want to use them at home and at work on a work, where I need some quality since I work in motion graphics which involves cutting/working with sound.
They should be semi-closed or closed so I don't get disturbed every time someone enters the room.
But I also use them outside on my way to the next shopping mal or whatsoever, so they should work with a standart mp3 player without amp, too.
And, most import, I'm looking for a removable/replaceable cable, since I broke the cables of all my headphones so far.

So far the AKG K240 has catched my eye but I'm not sure if they'll work outdoors.
Appreciate your help

May 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #14,810 of 29,490
Hello, everyone sorry for posting again in a short time period but my current headphones broke and i'm wondering what i can get that's good for $60-$70.

The last post i made i heard the Samson SR850 was a good investment, but i'm worried about third party sellers so i'm open to other reccomendations.

My music tastes vary alot (Liquid DnB, Soundtrack, Orchestral, Folk, Rock, Metal, Pop and Trance) and i want a decent soundstage for movies/gaming.
Isolation doesn't matter all that much since i'm gonna be using my computer to drive them and i'm running unamped.

My current decision is the Samson SR850 or the Superlux 668B but i'm worried about the external sellers. If it's a good investment i'm also looking at the Grado too.

Thanks in advance.

May 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #14,811 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, everyone sorry for posting again in a short time period but my current headphones broke and i'm wondering what i can get that's good for $60-$70.

The last post i made i heard the Samson SR850 was a good investment, but i'm worried about third party sellers so i'm open to other reccomendations.

My music tastes vary alot (Liquid DnB, Soundtrack, Orchestral, Folk, Rock, Metal, Pop and Trance) and i want a decent soundstage for movies/gaming.
Isolation doesn't matter all that much since i'm gonna be using my computer to drive them and i'm running unamped.

My current decision is the Samson SR850 or the Superlux 668B but i'm worried about the external sellers. If it's a good investment i'm also looking at the Grado too.

Thanks in advance.

If you are at all okay with supra-aural phones, (ones that rest on the ear,) you should try the Sennheiser HD238, or the Koss Portapro. I have owned both, and they both have a great sound-stage, and satisfying bass. The Sennheisers are more comfortable, and the Koss is more portable, and seems to have less of a 'V' shaped frequency response.

May 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #14,812 of 29,490
Hiya, so I'm looking for some midrange open headphones. 

I've been looking at mainly the Q701s and HD598. I was hoping someone might be able to comment/compare the sound quality between these two, more specifically on:
Bass: I'm not looking for pure amount of bass, rather I would like the bass to be rich where it exists (ie, I don't want to hear it when the music doesn't have much bass)
Mids: I have the shure 535 earphones, and am generally happy with the mids. I suppose I'm looking for something a little warm and forward here then
Highs: I would prefer it if the headphones aren't fatiguing, and also as little sibilance as possible

I understand there's the recent philips fidelio headphone which is in this price range as well, any comments on it are also welcome.

Lastly, suggestions for amping would be greatly appreciated - I haven't had any amps before, and will be playing music from my computer with a xonar dx card. 

May 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #14,815 of 29,490
Quote:
Howdy, I've begun thinking about returning to a workout schedule and need a pair of clip-ons or IEMs to help motivate me. I don't really work out to classical music or jazz, so I am looking for something that can play electronic music, hip-hop and a bit of rock decently. A big factor I am looking for is isolation (gym I go to has some loud, obnoxious music) and durability - it'd be nice to have it last. Budget is ~50 USD, thanks fellas.

This is a question better directed here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

May 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #14,818 of 29,490
Hey everybody. This is my first post. I've been wandering around and appreciating the site for some time and now I realize that in this vast ocean of knowledge, I need to ask specific questions. I don't know a lot about these stuff, though i like listening to music and seek a better experience. I listen to rock and metal, mostly black, death and trash. I also listen to classical music a bit but not as much as metal. I currently own an iPod touch, I've been using it since 5 years now and thinking about buying a new mp3 player with better sound quality and support for FLAC. I use my iTouch with Sennheiser CX500. I have a small budget and thinking about a buying another pair of IEMs. Considering the length of my text i feel an urge to cut to the chase. Here are some earphones I thought about. I am also open to recommendations in similar price range. Thanks.

Klipsich Image S4
Shure SE115
NuForce NE-770X
Ultimate Ears 400 or Metro.fi 220
tJays three or aJays four
AKG Q350 or K390
Some Xears models in range

Edit: Hmm I guess I'm in wrong place. Sorry about that.

May 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #14,819 of 29,490
Grado SR-60i's, Superlux HD 681's, or the Koss KSC-75's (or Portapro's)?

Would you say the Superlux cans have a Grado sound signature? Both flavors are fairly bright.. and measurements (albeit CSD/waterfall charts) suggest a eerily similar sound.... At least in my noobie eyes.

I'd lbe curious to know if the soundstage/imaging of the Superluxes are comparable to that of the Grados.

Tyll (Hertsens)'s measurements of the Grados and Superluxes on Innerfidelity:

Grado SR-60i : http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR60i.pdf
Grado RS-2 : http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS2.pdf
Superlux HD 681 : http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD681.pdf

Goldenear's CSD/waterfall charts on the same headphones :

Grado SR-60i : http://goldenears.net/board/files/attach/images/783981/218/947/001/64ff578736598de487ae1ebe175f0365.png
S
uperlux HD 681 : http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/251/004/1979638c4934b4da2345a0978f8e1fe3.png

May 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #14,820 of 29,490
I've been researching myself into a coma. That said I keep coming back to the AKG-550 the most. My hold-backs are that even though they'll lay flat, they're not really suited to travel. Granted I'll be using them at home mostly, but would like to take them on vacation, long car rides and occasional business travel. The cord is sooooo long but I hear that can be shortened. And lastly, the cups look like they are huge. I don't have a watermelon sized head and even though it's superficial, I'd prefer not to look like Princess Leah grooving to tunes.

Other cans considered have been Ultrasone pro900, Denon D2000

I hear mixed things about the 900's and the Denon are definitely a home bound can.

I have no way of listening to any of these other than ordering from Amazon and returning what I don't want but I'd prefer not to go through that if possible. Do you think these choices will be a world of difference from the IEM I have (Jays-qJays and Klipsch S4) or the AT M-50?

Your input is welcome and if you feel like stirring up my brain with new selections.... go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back