++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,221 of 29,490
Hi there and thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I am looking for a set of headphones with the following attributes:

-price up to US$300, but cheaper is good too
-must be comfortable with wire frame reading glasses on  *this is most critical*
-neutral tonal balance, erring on warmer side if necessary (mostly classical rock with some jazz and classical as well)
-adjustable to fit my big head
-sorry I think open or closed are ok.  Primarily listening in man cave while my wife is sleeping in room next door and she has a fan on.  I don't hear the fan but if I run my stereo in the same man cave she can hear it unless her fan is on.  Don't mind closed if cool and comfortable
-I will be purchasing a decent headphone amplifier before using them (not sure which one yet)
-rugged; manufacturer should have spare parts available and not have a history of shipping out products that have issues

Made up a quick list of possibilities based on reading a few forum's recommendations re comfort with reading glasses (Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990; Audio-Technica AD700, Denon D2000).  Are these what you would recommend and any others?

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8,223 of 29,490
I'm looking for headphones for music. I listen to rap and hip hop, and my budget is 150 dollars. I want good sound quality, good comfortability , and noise cancellation. I also want them to look cool haha. They will be for the ipod touch 4

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #8,224 of 29,490
I actually prefer the 598 to the AD700 for gaming. Wasn't sure how much you wanted to spend. The 598 gives you immersion and positioning, where as the AD700 is only for positioning. 

You hear explosions and what not with the 598 unlike the AD700. It just feels more real to play games on. MixAmp and 598 is a killer combo for gaming.

Quote:
thanks for the answer! Im gonna look into those. How about Sennheiser HD598 then, would they suffice?

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #8,225 of 29,490
I'm looking to purchase the RP-HTF600S headphones of the Sony XB-500.

Ignoring the sound signature because I think both would work fine for me but its come down to pricing and portability. 

The XB-500 is more expensive but the cable is suitable.  The Panasonic is cheaper (by a decent margin) but has a 10ft cable.  Any ways of dealing with the 10ft.  I am mainly looking to use these headphones during the winter on the subway/bus rides just to keep my ears warm.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #8,226 of 29,490
The D2000 popped into my head pretty quickly while reading your post. I'd also look at the DT880, and maybe the 770. All three of these headphones have amazing comfort (D2000 series is my favorite headphone ever for comfort). 

The Beyers are a step up durability wise from the Denons. The Denons are quite fragile which may mean you should avoid them. The Beyers are pretty rugged.

I'd also look into the HD598...Comfort is good, and it's my go to for your genre choices. Though it's not rugged.

tl;dr - DT880 [600 Ohm] (With a tube amp. You'd get the rugged headphone, comfort factor, and the tubes would warm up the neutral sound quite a bit.)

I'd say go for the DT880...

Quote:

-must be comfortable with wire frame reading glasses on  *this is most critical*
-neutral tonal balance, erring on warmer side if necessary (mostly classical rock with some jazz and classical as well)
-sorry I think open or closed are ok.  Primarily listening in man cave while my wife is sleeping in room next door and she has a fan on.  I don't hear the fan but if I run my stereo in the same man cave she can hear it unless her fan is on.  Don't mind closed if cool and comfortable
-I will be purchasing a decent headphone amplifier before using them (not sure which one yet)
-rugged; manufacturer should have spare parts available and not have a history of shipping out products that have issues

Made up a quick list of possibilities based on reading a few forum's recommendations re comfort with reading glasses (Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990; Audio-Technica AD700, Denon D2000).  Are these what you would recommend and any others?

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8,227 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase the RP-HTF600S headphones of the Sony XB-500.Ignoring the sound signature because I think both would work fine for me but its come down to pricing and portability. 
The XB-500 is more expensive but the cable is suitable.  The Panasonic is cheaper (by a decent margin) but has a 10ft cable.  Any ways of dealing with the 10ft.  I am mainly looking to use these headphones during the winter on the subway/bus rides just to keep my ears warm.

The Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is a semi-open headphone.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #8,228 of 29,490
They're both fairly cheap, and the XB500/700 are my go to ear muffs for cold weather so they've got my vote.

I hate dealing with longer cables on portables (ie. HD 25-13) 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Ignoring the sound signature because I think both would work fine for me but its come down to pricing and portability. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #8,229 of 29,490
I'm not starting a new thread, and I hope this is an appropriate place to ask what I have to ask. My basic situation is that I have used headphones for years to listen to music on my iPod (earlier it was cassette players) while bicycling. Most convenient and adequate enough for me were Sennheiser PMX neck models - first the PMX 60, and then when it wore out the PMX 100, which was noticeably better than the 60 and perfectly fine for me. When the 100 went out, however, the 100 didn't appear to be available anymore, I've had real trouble replacing it and am still not very happy with where I've gotten.

Not succeeding in other stores, I wound up buying the Bose AE2 recommended at my Apple store. The sound is okay but the cable is too long for bicycling. I found a Bose replacement cable tonight at http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/accessories/ae2_audio_cable.jsp&color=bl, but it's apparently available only in the same too-long length I already have and don't like. This is galling because the Bose OE does have a shorter cable available (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/accessories/oe_replacement_cable_short_acc.jsp). I found a shorter 0.8m cable in a store that I could use with an adapter, but the sound kept falling out on me, perhaps because of the unique form of the Bose headphone jack/plug, so I went back to the awkwardly long original Bose cable (awkwardly bunched up with a rubber band). I figure a stereo-to-mini (3.5mm to 2.5mm? not sure about the terminology) cable without an adapter might work better - can anyone help me find one?

A second question I will add, though it isn't about full-sized headphones, is about the progression of the Sennheiser PMX neck model series. As I said, the 100 was better than the 60, but the 90 I finally took a chance on and bought recently is LOUSY, with a remarkably weak sound. I tried to return it while still in the store immediately after buying it but couldn't, so I sent it back to Sennheiser Netherlands with the receipt and a letter expressing my dissatisfaction. They sent me another PMX 90, which I don't want because I suppose it's as lousy as the first one. The package is unopened so I figure the store should now take it back, only they're jacking me around because I don't have the receipt, having sent it to Sennheiser and not gotten it back with the replacement unit. A guy at the store said he would contact Sennheiser, but I haven't heard from him and so the unopened PMX 90 is still sitting here. So... Can anyone tell me what happened with the Sennheiser PMX series? I saw a new PMX 60 for sale somewhere recently and I couldn't figure that out at all. Why did they discontinue the 100 if it's better than the 90? Where did the 60 reappear from?

Thanks,

Roy McCoy
Rotterdam, NL

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #8,230 of 29,490
Help.....
Please recommend a headphone in price range $200-500 USD.
I want something that allows me to listen to harsh compressed MP3 files (like most of the stuff on iTunes) and modern harsh compressed CDs without making my ears bleed. LOL!
I have AKG Q701s which I love using for old jazz and classical music but they don't work for MP3 files and other poorly mastered recordings.

For example, will Grados do it for me?
or Senns?
Beyer DT770  or 880 or 990?

I have a Matrix M Stage and will have a La Figaro 336C in a few days.

Thanks
C

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #8,231 of 29,490

Quote:

That's a good list and they do reasonably well with my glasses. For overall durability and availability of parts, along with neutral warmish sound, I think the DT880 would be the perfect fit. 

Quote:
I'm looking for headphones for music. I listen to rap and hip hop, and my budget is 150 dollars. I want good sound quality, good comfortability , and noise cancellation. I also want them to look cool haha. They will be for the ipod touch 4

AKG K181

Quote:

If you're able to use a soldering iron, you can just snip a long cable and reterminate them with a plug. Can't be more than $2 from radioshack, maybe $20 total if you include the soldering iron.

Quote:
I'm not starting a new thread, and I hope this is an appropriate place to ask what I have to ask. My basic situation is that I have used headphones for years to listen to music on my iPod (earlier it was cassette players) while bicycling. Most convenient and adequate enough for me were Sennheiser PMX neck models - first the PMX 60, and then when it wore out the PMX 100, which was noticeably better than the 60 and perfectly fine for me. When the 100 went out, however, the 100 didn't appear to be available anymore, I've had real trouble replacing it and am still not very happy with where I've gotten.

Not succeeding in other stores, I wound up buying the Bose AE2 recommended at my Apple store. The sound is okay but the cable is too long for bicycling. I found a Bose replacement cable tonight at http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/accessories/ae2_audio_cable.jsp&color=bl, but it's apparently available only in the same too-long length I already have and don't like. This is galling because the Bose OE does have a shorter cable available (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/accessories/oe_replacement_cable_short_acc.jsp). I found a shorter 0.8m cable in a store that I could use with an adapter, but the sound kept falling out on me, perhaps because of the unique form of the Bose headphone jack/plug, so I went back to the awkwardly long original Bose cable (awkwardly bunched up with a rubber band). I figure a stereo-to-mini (3.5mm to 2.5mm? not sure about the terminology) cable without an adapter might work better - can anyone help me find one?

Thanks,

Roy McCoy
Rotterdam, NL

You could just ask at your local electronics store if they have a suitable cable that you need. Maybe check around the cell phone section?

If you're brave enough with a soldering iron, you could also shorten the cables yourself. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #8,232 of 29,490
Grados will do the opposite...The 880s are very revealing as well. I'm honestly not sure what to recommend here. Why such a high budget for low quality listening?

EDIT: Maybe a Denon? 

Quote:
Help.....
Please recommend a headphone in price range $200-500 USD.
I want something that allows me to listen to harsh compressed MP3 files and modern harsh compressed CDs without making my ears bleed. LOL.
For example, will Grados do it for me?
Beyer DT770  or 880 or 990?
Thanks
C

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #8,233 of 29,490

Quote:
Grados will do the opposite...The 880s are very revealing as well. I'm honestly not sure what to recommend here. Why such a high budget for low quality listening?

TMA-1: its slow and plodding nature should mask over any harsh recordings/compressions

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #8,234 of 29,490

Quote:

Maybe I'm just being overly critical and pessimistic and fed up with the overcompressed stuff the majors are releasing these days..........but some kind of alternatvie to the Q701s, something a bit warm but still shows detail and some neutrality.
The Denons I've heard were too bass heavy for me.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #8,235 of 29,490
TMA-1 would've been my recommendation until the Denons were too bassy. lol

Yeah, the Q701s are pretty brutal and revealing... Pro 750 might be a good choice now that I think about it.

Quote:
TMA-1: its slow and plodding nature should mask over any harsh recordings/compressions

Quote:
Maybe I'm just being overly critical and pessimistic and fed up with the overcompressed stuff the majors are releasing these days..........but some kind of alternatvie to the Q701s, something a bit warm but still shows detail and some neutrality.
The Denons I've heard were too bass heavy for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back