++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #8,236 of 29,490

Quote:
Help.....
Please recommend a headphone in price range $200-500 USD.
I want something that allows me to listen to harsh compressed MP3 files (like most of the stuff on iTunes) and modern harsh compressed CDs without making my ears bleed. LOL!
I have AKG Q701s which I love using for old jazz and classical music but they don't work for MP3 files and other poorly mastered recordings.

For example, will Grados do it for me?
or Senns?
Beyer DT770  or 880 or 990?

I have a Matrix M Stage and will have a La Figaro 336C in a few days.

Thanks
C

Less expensive headphones are better for lower quality files, not the other way around. I think you might like the Denon D1001/D1000. It sounds great with just about any genre and the timbre quality/imaging is pretty good. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #8,237 of 29,490
So I have the W4 now. No amp, nothing else. I'm incredibly happy with their sound, having auditioned numerous other top-tier IEMs  - I'm convinced I've found the best IEM for me.

But I'm curious as to my next stage in the audiophile journey, and therefore started thinking about headphones.

This is a very very vague post, but does anyone have any suggestions on the next step? Potential headphones to try and audition? I'm looking for the next step up in sound, from the W4.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #8,238 of 29,490

Quote:
Less expensive headphones are better for lower quality files, not the other way around. I think you might like the Denon D1001/D1000. It sounds great with just about any genre and the timbre quality/imaging is pretty good. 

Thanks,
Cheap headphones for crappy iTunes makes sense.  I hadn't thought of that! I'll check out the Denons.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I see two new headphones in my future:
a cheaper pair for MP3 and an alternative headphone to the AKG Q701s,  frankly I find it hard to enjoy DSOTM or the Beatles or Hendrix on the Q701s.
They don't like music with distortion.

any further thoughts from anyone?

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #8,239 of 29,490

Quote:
Klipsch S4 if you like bass. Great low priced universal. 

I already bought Creative Aurvana Live! from this thread and so far am enjoying them. I am looking for a slightly bass-heavy IEMs but Joker isn't too much of a fan of him. Would you recommend them still if I wanted comfort, above average isolation, and slightly bass-heavy IEMs in that price range?

Edit:Bonus points if it syncs up well w/the Sansa Clip+

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #8,240 of 29,490

Quote:
The Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is a semi-open headphone.

how much sound leakage am I looking at?  I know the XB-500 also suffers from sound leakage but based on seeing people in the subway, I was unable to hear what they were listening too.  

someone also mentioned the XB-500 as being cheap, any links to deals.  I live in Canada but have a US dropbox if needed.  The cheapest that I've seen in Canada (but unable to find) was $40

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #8,241 of 29,490

Quote:
how much sound leakage am I looking at?  I know the XB-500 also suffers from sound leakage but based on seeing people in the subway, I was unable to hear what they were listening too.  
someone also mentioned the XB-500 as being cheap, any links to deals.  I live in Canada but have a US dropbox if needed.  The cheapest that I've seen in Canada (but unable to find) was $40

I once tried the Sony XB500, did not really like anything about the sound.
I would assume the HTF600-S leak very little sound for a semi-open headphone.
But my HTF600-S will not arrive until Tuesday.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #8,242 of 29,490

What are the best cans that can range from Skrillex(dubstep/electro)-------Classical 
Budget 350>x
I'm looking for a cans that are a lil of a mixture of use about mobile and home, like i want to use them while walking around campus but most of the time i'm going to be sitting down/chilling. I'm more of in the middle about being a basshead and an audiophile balance. Fit is generally not a problem, avg sized head.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #8,243 of 29,490

Quote:
So I have the W4 now. No amp, nothing else. I'm incredibly happy with their sound, having auditioned numerous other top-tier IEMs  - I'm convinced I've found the best IEM for me.

But I'm curious as to my next stage in the audiophile journey, and therefore started thinking about headphones.

This is a very very vague post, but does anyone have any suggestions on the next step? Potential headphones to try and audition? I'm looking for the next step up in sound, from the W4.

My favourite combo is an AKG K240 Sextett powered by a Bottlehead Crack + Speedball.

Quote:

Thanks,
Cheap headphones for crappy iTunes makes sense.  I hadn't thought of that! I'll check out the Denons.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I see two new headphones in my future:
a cheaper pair for MP3 and an alternative headphone to the AKG Q701s,  frankly I find it hard to enjoy DSOTM or the Beatles or Hendrix on the Q701s.
They don't like music with distortion.

any further thoughts from anyone?

Even with all the higher end gear I've gone through, one of my favourites to this day remains the humble little Sennheiser PX100 (and PX100-ii). The PX200-ii is also excellent if you need some isolation.

Quote:

What are the best cans that can range from Skrillex(dubstep/electro)-------Classical 
Budget 350>x
I'm looking for a cans that are a lil of a mixture of use about mobile and home, like i want to use them while walking around campus but most of the time i'm going to be sitting down/chilling. I'm more of in the middle about being a basshead and an audiophile balance. Fit is generally not a problem, avg sized head.

The Pioneer HDJ-2000 serves me well as an all-purpose and portable headphone.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #8,245 of 29,490

Quote:

Well how would Beyerdynamic DT770/880 as well as Denon AHD2000 compare to them?

The 770 isolates well and is durable, but is big and doesn't collapse in any way for transport. The 880 is semi open and doesn't really isolate at all. The D2000 is technically closed but sucks at isolation and leakage, and is not very durable either.

The 880 and D2000 have good all-purpose sounds, and both have very strong bass extension. The 770 is very bassy overall.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #8,246 of 29,490
Hi!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 which I am happy with for most parts. They work great for classical music and stuff like David Bowie - however, when listening to up tempo metal like Ministry I feel that the drums and bass often get messy and not quite enjoyable.

And tips for a pair of cans around the same price range as my Senns?

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #8,247 of 29,490
Are you using an amp with them?  If not, that will fix the problem.

Quote:
Hi!I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 which I am happy with for most parts. They work great for classical music and stuff like David Bowie - however, when listening to up tempo metal like Ministry I feel that the drums and bass often get messy and not quite enjoyable.And tips for a pair of cans around the same price range as my Senns?

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #8,250 of 29,490
A receiver should be more than adequate power... though I suppose it could depend on the output impedance as well. In general I say that an amp will not really change the sonic characteristics of a headphone. However, the Senns have an impedance spike in the lows (around the drums actually), so it could be due to inadequate electrical/driver damping that results in loose base. Do you have any opportunity to try a headphone amp before buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back