++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #8,251 of 29,490
If you want lots of bass the Shure would be the way to go. The ProDJ100 is my favorite under 100 phone but it's not really Bass heavy. It's actually mid focused.

Quote:
I'm really not sure what to get now. The XB700 seems very nice for my use, but it's something with them i don't like. I'd like something a bit more portable as well. Would the DJ100 or SRH750DJ do a good job?

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #8,254 of 29,490
Hey Everyone,  I'm doing some research for a friend of mine for Over ear headphones,  She likes to listen to Bass heavy music,  She won't be using any Amp with them,  She's looking for headphones that are around $120 and Below and She'll probably be listening to them using either a Laptop or her Mp3.

I just found out today That she was looking for a pair so I haven't been able to do a whole lot of research on which headphones would be a good choice,  So any help would be appreciated :D 

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #8,255 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Everyone,  I'm doing some research for a friend of mine for Over ear headphones,  She likes to listen to Bass heavy music,  She won't be using any Amp with them,  She's looking for headphones that are around $120 and Below and She'll probably be listening to them using either a Laptop or her Mp3.
I just found out today That she was looking for a pair so I haven't been able to do a whole lot of research on which headphones would be a good choice,  So any help would be appreciated :D 

Save a few dollars.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S headphones
Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour Padded Ear Cushions.
Nice sound, comfortable to wear, total under $60.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #8,256 of 29,490
The 598 would be great out of our soundcard. Easy to drive.

Quote:
would i need a proper amp for hd598 or would asus xonar DG be enough? Its for pc gaming mostly, and i really want the dolby headphones the soundcard provides.

XB 500 or 700 would be my go to in he range for bass.

Quote:

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #8,258 of 29,490

Quote:
im sorry, maybe im slow , but i didnt catch the message in the first sentance, "out of our (?) soundcard"? :)

He missed the "Y"

Out of your soundcard ......

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #8,262 of 29,490
Can anyone reccomend a cheap mp3 player?
I lost my ipod touch 64 gb an my classic 32 gb has a broke screen.
So at the moment I'm using a walkman 2gig.
Its fine but the memory is awful
I want something cheap with good memory.
I obviously want excellent sound
I only need it for music.( no movies, photos wifi or shizz like that)
I need some sort of screen to see what I'm playing
The cowon j3 has been suggested but its kinda out of my budget.

I'm getting the sony mdr-XB500 and I want something with an equalizer because I hear you need some tuning with these headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #8,263 of 29,490
So I was about to get the hd25s like two weeks ago but then I hesitated because I'm kinda questioning how much better/ different will they be to a pair of hd280s? Or would I be better off with a pair of like ultrasones? If they are different/ better for vocal based music, I can easily justify paying the $180 or less for them.

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8,264 of 29,490

How about a Clip+ with Rockbox and an SD card? Head-fi favorite.
Quote:
Can anyone reccomend a cheap mp3 player?
I lost my ipod touch 64 gb an my classic 32 gb has a broke screen.
So at the moment I'm using a walkman 2gig.
Its fine but the memory is awful
I want something cheap with good memory.
I obviously want excellent sound
I only need it for music.( no movies, photos wifi or shizz like that)
I need some sort of screen to see what I'm playing
The cowon j3 has been suggested but its kinda out of my budget.

I'm getting the sony mdr-XB500 and I want something with an equalizer because I hear you need some tuning with these headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #8,265 of 29,490

Interesting thread, hopefully I can get some helpful responses!

I currently own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's that which I use for pretty much everything. I'm a student so I spend a fair amount of time at my desk studying and listening to music, I also play competitive FPS and other games when time permits. 

While I really enjoy the overall sound of the 900's I can't keep them on for long periods of time. I find that my ears get really warm and I get a slight headache. 

So now I'm either looking to upgrade, or perhaps look for another pair of headphones to work with the 900's. 

Intended use: Long term listening at my PC, used regularly for gaming.
Music GenresA little bit of everything, mostly electronic (Drum and bass, house, trance, ambient) just for the background music while working. I also listen to a lot of rock (Classic, indie, instrumental) and hip hop. 
Current sources: Asus Essence STX with Flac files whenever possible, otherwise MP3 320. 
Amplifier: Currently using the built in amp with the STX. It seems to be adequate for the 900's.

What I'm looking for:
Comfort: Definitely my biggest gripe with the 900's is that I can't actually enjoy them after a while. My brother wears his AD700's ALL day and I could probably do the same. Unfortunately they just don't sound good to me at all. 
Soundstage: I've tried dozens of "gaming headsets" as well as the regularly recommended headphones for gamers (AD700, HD595, DT770) and *imo* none provide the combination of detail and immersion in game that the 900's do. 
Sound characteristics: I like bass, but it does not need to be exaggerated. The 900's, especially when new, really tested my limits with *bright?* headphones but they got better over time or my ears adjusted. 
Open vs. Closed: If they are comfortable and provide the sound characteristics that I'm looking for then I have no real preference. 

Budget: < $2000 I put this as my budget because I can justify spending that much right now. I spend enough time wearing headphones and listen to enough music that I don't see any reason to really compromise. I also realize that spending that amount on headphones to plug into a $200 sound card might be ridiculous. For now I'm just looking at headphone suggestions. When I make a decision I'll look into upgrading the rest of my audio gear. Also, if there is some DAC, amp, headphone combo that you feel works well feel free to suggest it.

What I'm currently considering:

Beyerdynamic T1 -> Most comments seem to indicate that these are up there in terms of comfort. Possibly not as comfortable as the DT 770/880/990 but still very good.
Denon D7000 -> Haven't read as much on these, seem to be comfortable.
Ultrasone Edition 8 -> Should appeal to people who enjoy the ultrasone sound. People who have owned both the 900's and Ed.8 seem to agree that the Ed.8 are more comfortable and sound better overall.

Open to other suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back