++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #27,871 of 29,490
Hey guys.  So, I'm looking for an upgrade from my HD555s.  I bought these a few years ago without really knowing much about headphones and have decided that it's finally time for an upgrade.  I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, which has a built in headphone amp.  Mainly I've never been a big fan of the extreme lack of bass that they have. I have a large bass boost EQ setting right now on the soundcard to give them some actual bass, but I feel like I should just get some headphones that can naturally produce it.  These are for home use only and are always connected to my PC.   I do like the open air design of my Sennheisers though.  I was looking at something like the beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm. I mainly listen to electronic music (lots of trance, some dubstep, Daft Punk) and alternative rock (Radiohead and the like).  I also do a lot of PC gaming.

For reference I also have some Audio Technica ATH M50s I got for a sweet deal a while ago. I use these for work.  I like the bass those deliver, but I like everything else better from the HD555s.  That and the M50s like hurt my ears or something.  They're too tight or something.  Can't keep them on for large periods of time, where as the HD555s I don't even notice they're there.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #27,872 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys.  So, I'm looking for an upgrade from my HD555s.  I bought these a few years ago without really knowing much about headphones and have decided that it's finally time for an upgrade.  I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, which has a built in headphone amp.  Mainly I've never been a big fan of the extreme lack of bass that they have. I have a large bass boost EQ setting right now on the soundcard to give them some actual bass, but I feel like I should just get some headphones that can naturally produce it.  These are for home use only and are always connected to my PC.   I do like the open air design of my Sennheisers though.  I was looking at something like the beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm. I mainly listen to electronic music (lots of trance, some dubstep, Daft Punk) and alternative rock (Radiohead and the like).  I also do a lot of PC gaming.

For reference I also have some Audio Technica ATH M50s I got for a sweet deal a while ago. I use these for work.  I like the bass those deliver, but I like everything else better from the HD555s.  That and the M50s like hurt my ears or something.  They're too tight or something.  Can't keep them on for large periods of time, where as the HD555s I don't even notice they're there.

So if I am understanding you, you want something that sounds very much like your HD555's but with better bass...sounds like an HD650 to me.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #27,877 of 29,490
i just have one small question. for the sennheiser momentum do they require an amp? i wont be able to get one until august

No, they don't.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #27,878 of 29,490
Ok, so i have narrowed it down to those two:

1. M-Audio Q40 (closed back)

2. Sony MDR MA900 (Open Back)

Which is better in terms of clarity and detail? I know that the MA900's have a very good bass and smooth mids with enormous soundstage, while the Q40's have good detail, but how do they compare in terms of detail and clarity?

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #27,879 of 29,490
Hello all.  I am seeking some advice regarding buying a new set of headphones.  I have been using a Grado SR60i for a few years now, and I am still very happy with the sound I am getting.  I'm just curious to know if there are even better headphones out there suited to the type of music that I listen to.  I listen to most forms of metal eg. black metal, death metal, doom metal, progressive metal etc.  I have found the SR60's to be really suited to metal to my ears anyway.  I'm not looking for a new/used headphone that is smooth and relaxed, as I want to preserve the harshness that listening to black metal brings.  I find the SR60'S bass good overall but I am looking for a can with a bit more punch.  I like the SR60'S as I find them quite "forward" and "attacking", so I'm looking for something along those lines.

My budget would be 300-400 pounds.  I am tempted to stick with Grado as a brand, as I am very happy with the sound I am getting, so if there are other other Grado cans suited to metal then I would be interested.  If there are other brands you guys would suggest then I would also be interested.

Below is a list of the gear I have.  I only use my headphones at home and listen through my amplifier.

Amplifier - Sansui AU-G30X
Preamp - Cambridge 551P MM
Turntable - Technics SL1210
Cartdridge - Music Maker MK3

If there is more information you need then I would be happy to reply.  I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #27,882 of 29,490
Hi, new member here.

I am planning on working up the price scale, beginning at the bottom. Last month was the SuperLux 668b and after a month of burn in it sounds very good for $27USD.

What would you recommend as my next purchase?

This is my wishlist in order:

Superlux HD-668 B, CHECK
Logitech Ultimate Ears 500 [earbuds]
Creative Aurvana Live!
Alessandro MS1i
Phiaton MS 300
Grado SR80i
Fostex T50RP
Shure SRH840
Sony MDR-V6
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
M-AUDIO - Studiophile Q40
V-MODA Crossfade M-80
Hifiman HE-300
Fischer Audio FA-003
Ultrasone PRO 900

All the major German brands are off the list as I have previously owned AKG and Beyer and want to try new cans that I have never heard or had.

Suggest, please!

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #27,884 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all.  I am seeking some advice regarding buying a new set of headphones.  I have been using a Grado SR60i for a few years now, and I am still very happy with the sound I am getting.  I'm just curious to know if there are even better headphones out there suited to the type of music that I listen to.  I listen to most forms of metal eg. black metal, death metal, doom metal, progressive metal etc.  I have found the SR60's to be really suited to metal to my ears anyway.  I'm not looking for a new/used headphone that is smooth and relaxed, as I want to preserve the harshness that listening to black metal brings.  I find the SR60'S bass good overall but I am looking for a can with a bit more punch.  I like the SR60'S as I find them quite "forward" and "attacking", so I'm looking for something along those lines.

My budget would be 300-400 pounds.  I am tempted to stick with Grado as a brand, as I am very happy with the sound I am getting, so if there are other other Grado cans suited to metal then I would be interested.  If there are other brands you guys would suggest then I would also be interested.

Below is a list of the gear I have.  I only use my headphones at home and listen through my amplifier.

Amplifier - Sansui AU-G30X
Preamp - Cambridge 551P MM
Turntable - Technics SL1210
Cartdridge - Music Maker MK3

If there is more information you need then I would be happy to reply.  I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

If you want to stick with Grado, try out the SR225i or SR325is, there seem to be plenty of places in the UK that carry the full line of Grado headphones for you to demo:

http://www.grado.co.uk/where-to-buy-grado-headphones.htm

Otherwise, similar to the Grados, you might consider the Alessandro MS-2i.  I'm not sure what the comparable Grado would be (I think that the MS-1i is somewhere between the SR80i and SR125i in sound quality).

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #27,885 of 29,490
Hi guys I recently am suffering a case of recurring upgraditis and feel like going to the next level. Currently I am using my AD900 paired with a DAC/Amp in the Ordnance .25 (clear sounding). I think I'm pretty set on getting the iFi iDAC and iUSB as my DAC/Amp combo and I was wondering which headphones should I pair with it. I do love my AD900 sound and enjoy the Audio Technica sound so something similar would be nice. From my experience the AD1000 and AD2000 was more refined but I actually prefered my AD900 (in my set up of course). I have no experience with the new AD series with the additional X though. I listen to most genre's (rock,pop,jazz,classical,electronic,acoustic) probably with metal as my only exception. I also use a Fostex HP-P1 which I currently use with my HD25 as my portable rig so if it pairs well with the Fostex that'll be a plus as well. But it'll mainly be part of my desktop rig with the iDAC. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back