++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #27,856 of 29,490
Haha i know its a tall order for 80$, but 100$ is worth it to me and i think im gonna get the ad700... I put 80$ so people would go anywhere under 100 while if i did 100 people would have suggested things for 120$.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #27,858 of 29,490
Hello, I am looking for a headphone that delivers the best sound quality for the money i am willing to pay.

I prefer an open back can (dont care if they leak) but a closed back will be fine too.

i am willing to buy an amp if needed

my budget is under 250$

all my music is in 320kbps or flac

I will be listening to electronic music (dubstep,electro,techno,dnb) and hip-hop.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #27,861 of 29,490
hello head-fi community, i have been asking a lot of people here about what headphones i should get, looked at about 20 different models from many different brands (sennheiser, akg, grado, sony and more) and i think i have found the headphone that appeals most to me.

i was thinking about getting the sennheiser momentum for around £250. there i just one thing i want to know. i listen to pop/r&b and dance music only and some EDM about 5% of the time, will these cans be good for my music genres? i don't know if bass or what is good for these choices and just to be a bit more clearer on my music tastes i listen to will.i.am/example/cheryl cole/girls aloud/rita ora/calvin harris+david guetta and quite a few more i can't think of right now. if sennheiser momentum do not suit my music genres, which headphones suit them the most?

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #27,862 of 29,490
I think the momentum is an excellent choice. Buy it and start your hifi journey. :)

hello head-fi community, i have been asking a lot of people here about what headphones i should get, looked at about 20 different models from many different brands (sennheiser, akg, grado, sony and more) and i think i have found the headphone that appeals most to me.

i was thinking about getting the sennheiser momentum for around £250. there i just one thing i want to know. i listen to pop/r&b and dance music only and some EDM about 5% of the time, will these cans be good for my music genres? i don't know if bass or what is good for these choices and just to be a bit more clearer on my music tastes i listen to will.i.am/example/cheryl cole/girls aloud/rita ora/calvin harris+david guetta and quite a few more i can't think of right now. if sennheiser momentum do not suit my music genres, which headphones suit them the most?

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #27,863 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I am looking for a headphone that delivers the best sound quality for the money i am willing to pay.

I prefer an open back can (dont care if they leak) but a closed back will be fine too.

my budget is under 250$

I will be listening to electronic music (dubstep,electro,techno,dnb) and hip-hop.

1. M-Audio Q40
2. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Those would be my recommendations in order.

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #27,864 of 29,490
Can anyone recommend closed, circumaural headphones that work well unamped of a laptop (hp dv6)?
Looking for a warm but fairly balanced pair that sound good for rap+hip hop+rnb (I think the term is HiFi, not sure)
The CAL! looked good but not very durable, so I looked at the Philips Citiscape Uptown as well
Budget is 100$ at a stretch, ~70 is perfect,  buying of amazon :p
Thanks!

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #27,865 of 29,490

my budget is under 250$

If you want a heavier bass emphasis, the DT990 Pro.

For lighter bass emphasis, the DT880 Pro.

Both headphones would benefit from an amp.

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #27,866 of 29,490
Can anyone recommend closed, circumaural headphones that work well unamped of a laptop (hp dv6)?
Looking for a warm but fairly balanced pair that sound good for rap+hip hop+rnb (I think the term is HiFi, not sure)
The CAL! looked good but not very durable, so I looked at the Philips Citiscape Uptown as well
Budget is 100$ at a stretch, ~70 is perfect,  buying of amazon :p
Thanks!

I wouldn't call them warm, but the Sony MDR-V6's might be a good choice for you. They are considered studio monitors that have a little bass emphasis and a little treble. And they are built like tanks!

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #27,867 of 29,490
Hello all.  I am posting here so as to not start yet another thread for headphone suggestions.  I have been looking for a decent set of sealed cans for a year or so research wise.  I have finally gotten to where I am ready to make a purchase however I am a bit undecided about what headphones I should buy and was hoping you might have some advice for me.

Before I tell you what I am looking for in the headphones I feel I should give you an idea of what they will be connected to most of the time.

My source is a self built mini-itx computer running Windows 7 with XBMC as my player.  I re-ripped all my existing CD's as FLAC but also have a mix of MP3's of varying bitrates from back when the number of songs you could put on a MP3 player was king.  I am sending the audio out over USB using the WASAPI driver to a Audio GD NFB-5 headphone DAC/Amp which is what I will connect these headphones too.

I also should probably give you an idea of the type of music I listen to as well.  I listen to a bunch of different types of music, however most are more bass heavy such as techno, dubstep, rap, rock, metal.  On occasion I listen to pop and acoustic music and/or county.  I rarely listen to jazz or classical.

I will be using these headphones primarily at work where I work in a cubicle and don't want to disturb others nearby.  As a result I am looking exclusively at sealed headphones. 

I am a pretty big audiophile and sound quality is important to me, however my budget is limited enough that I realize I cannot attain the "highest" quality of sound, and since I will be doing mostly background listening with these I am ok with that. 

I am looking mostly for a decently accurate headphone with good bass and that's not super harsh, and comfortable to listen to for extended periods of time without too much sweaty ear syndrome.  I do wear glasses so clamping force is an issue as well.

I am NOT looking for noise cancelling headphones as the noise cancelling feature on most headphones I have used leaves me feeling weird after (I had a set of Polk UltraFocus 8000's and liked the sound, but the noise cancelling was too much for me).

I dont anticipate listening to these headphones often from my iPhone, but may on occasion so the ability to be able to do so would be nice, but is not a requirement.

My budget is around 200 - 250 max.  I dont mind buying new or refurbished models, however I want to purchase from a store (online or otherwise) with a decent return policy so if I dont like the sound I have options.

Like many here there are not any stores nearby I am aware of that have these models to demo so I have to rely strictly on opinions until I make a purchase.

Some headphones I have looked at and had suggested to me are below:

Beyerdynamic DT-770's (all different ohm models)
AKG K550
Sony MDR-1R
Audio Technica ATH-50m

I am curious as to what folks think of these models compared to each other and if there are others I should be looking at (in that price range only)

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #27,868 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all.  I am posting here so as to not start yet another thread for headphone suggestions.  I have been looking for a decent set of sealed cans for a year or so research wise.  I have finally gotten to where I am ready to make a purchase however I am a bit undecided about what headphones I should buy and was hoping you might have some advice for me.

Before I tell you what I am looking for in the headphones I feel I should give you an idea of what they will be connected to most of the time.

My source is a self built mini-itx computer running Windows 7 with XBMC as my player.  I re-ripped all my existing CD's as FLAC but also have a mix of MP3's of varying bitrates from back when the number of songs you could put on a MP3 player was king.  I am sending the audio out over USB using the WASAPI driver to a Audio GD NFB-5 headphone DAC/Amp which is what I will connect these headphones too.

I also should probably give you an idea of the type of music I listen to as well.  I listen to a bunch of different types of music, however most are more bass heavy such as techno, dubstep, rap, rock, metal.  On occasion I listen to pop and acoustic music and/or county.  I rarely listen to jazz or classical.

I will be using these headphones primarily at work where I work in a cubicle and don't want to disturb others nearby.  As a result I am looking exclusively at sealed headphones. 

I am a pretty big audiophile and sound quality is important to me, however my budget is limited enough that I realize I cannot attain the "highest" quality of sound, and since I will be doing mostly background listening with these I am ok with that. 

I am looking mostly for a decently accurate headphone with good bass and that's not super harsh, and comfortable to listen to for extended periods of time without too much sweaty ear syndrome.  I do wear glasses so clamping force is an issue as well.

I am NOT looking for noise cancelling headphones as the noise cancelling feature on most headphones I have used leaves me feeling weird after (I had a set of Polk UltraFocus 8000's and liked the sound, but the noise cancelling was too much for me).

I dont anticipate listening to these headphones often from my iPhone, but may on occasion so the ability to be able to do so would be nice, but is not a requirement.

My budget is around 200 - 250 max.  I dont mind buying new or refurbished models, however I want to purchase from a store (online or otherwise) with a decent return policy so if I dont like the sound I have options.

Like many here there are not any stores nearby I am aware of that have these models to demo so I have to rely strictly on opinions until I make a purchase.

Some headphones I have looked at and had suggested to me are below:

AKG K550
Sony MDR-1R
Audio Technica ATH-50m

I am curious as to what folks think of these models compared to each other and if there are others I should be looking at (in that price range only)

Audio Technica ESW9 seem to fit your criteria. They are on ear though. Some people have a fit about that.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #27,869 of 29,490
Quote:

Audio Technica ESW9 seem to fit your criteria. They are on ear though. Some people have a fit about that.

They were on my list, but I dont know if I want on ear as they tend to not really provide tons of isolation  which is important both for me and those around me.

How do you feel they compare to the others on my list?

AKG K550
Sony MDR-1R
Audio Technica ATH-50m

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #27,870 of 29,490
The DT770s, at least the 80 Ohm version, is bass heavy (though it responds well to EQ), and I didn't like the K550s when I auditioned them.

I did prefer the DT770s to the M50, which I listened to on the same day (before the 770s, actually). The velour pads on the Beyers are the most comfortable and least sweaty pads I've ever worn (I wear glasses too). I've owned them for about 2 years now and still love them, though I prefer the sound from my Grados these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back