++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #20,911 of 29,490
I'm looking to upgrade my HD25-1 II's. I'm looking to spend no more than, (maybe a tiny bit more) $350. I listen to bands such as Rise Against and Breaking Benjamin, but also listen to a lot of acoustic songs. I like punchy bass for drums, but I don't want a ton of bass. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #20,912 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnenntae

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new headphones. I'm willing to pay anywhere between 150 and 300 usd.

I listen to mostly 320kbps MP3 files on my laptop, since flac and all those other super high quality file types are confusing and too much of a hassle imo. And I spend a lot of my time in my bedroom chatting with friends on skype, so comfortable headphones are a must. Since I use the computer in my room sound leakage isn't an issue.
I listen to Dubstep (And i'm talking Skream, Benga, Mala and the like, not the brostep stuff) and Liquid Funk (pretty much Drum and Bass for those of you who have no clue what i'm talking about) mostly, though I do listen to Indie Rock, Hip-Hop, Grime, UK Garage and Trap as well.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the Sennheiser HD598s but I'm sort of worried, because I remember getting the HD 429s a few years ago, and not being satisfied with them, mostly the bass.

Check out the Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Ultrasone 750 Pro. Ultrasones have nice bass response and do very well with your primary listening genres.

Maybe not the pro 750. Dubstep wasn't very enjoyable with them. They have such a spiked treble that every high pitched sound literally felt painful. I can wholly recommend the hfi-2400 though. It has a more subdued treble and detailed bass, quite punchy for an open can, and the most godlike imaging I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #20,913 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi PurpleAngel,
Thank you for your response (as well as the others who responded to my recommendation question)  I have a question for you, or anyone else who may know the answers:
Originally I was set on the Phoebus for a few reasons: a) headphone amp, b) headphone & mic controller found on USB headsets.
I've heard its crap due to the drivers--is there a unified version for that too?  If not, do you or anyone else know of a breakout device, usb or whatever, that may control the volume and the ability to mute the microphone?  Or at least quickly mute the microphone?  It seems there isn't an easy way to quickly mute the microphone in windows 7 like there is in XP (short of yanking the cord out)....

Seems like DT880 make be a great fit.  I'm thinking heavily of grabbing those then, but before I do, any opinions on the DT880 vs. something like the Hifiman line up, any reason to not consider those, as in, they would require more amps than what the STX has to offer, poor soundstage, etc.?

Have you tried this thread to check the statis of the Phoebus drivers?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?136-Xonar-Phoebus-and-ROG-ThunderFX

The Essence STX should be able to drive any headphones from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm you like.

You could try to find an extension cable with a mic shut off switch.
Maybe be on eBay.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #20,914 of 29,490
anyone knows highend headphones stores in AUSTIN TEXAS y look for very detailed in catalog few very few audio stores but if someone can read this please contact or tell me if there is a store its easy for me a locale or near austin a store to  buy a 

Brainwavz in or on-ear any directions will be great thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #20,915 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you tried this thread to check the statis of the Phoebus drivers?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?136-Xonar-Phoebus-and-ROG-ThunderFX

The Essence STX should be able to drive any headphones from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm you like.

You could try to find an extension cable with a mic shut off switch.
Maybe be on eBay.

Ok, Just wondering if you had heard of any info regarding it--I'm still thinking all the negative things I've read to stay away, just figured I'd ask before I write off completely :)  Any case, I appreciate your recommendations, thanks again for your help PurpleAngel.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #20,916 of 29,490
So after going through the Battle Of The Flagships (50+ Headphones Compared) thread...

(in order of what I think will fit, but I could be wrong)
  1. ATH-AD900x
  2. ATH-AD900
  3. Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
  4. Beyer DT770 (250 ohm)
  5. Shure SRH840
  6. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Anniversary Edition)

Again, this is for my brother and he listens to:
(in order of preference from what I've heard him play)
  1. J-pop (especially female vocals)
  1. Anime soundtrack (J-pop?)
  1. piano/instrumental
  2. some non-mainstream hip hop (Shing02 or Nujabes)
  3. some J-rock (The Pillows)

My budget is around $200 USD and I don't want to buy used items, nor items sold through eBay.

These headphones, whichever one I end up getting, will be run with no dedicated amp, through an iPod Touch 2G and/or MacBook with some "meh" quality music files (< 320kbps).

Since this will be his first headphone, I probably don't need to get him the best of headphones, but something that will sound decent will all of the above music preferences. This will be an "upgrade" from his iFrog Ear Pollution in-ear earphones.

...or do you think a new pair of IEM's would be better? He likes the portability of his current earphones. In that case I was either thinking of the Vsonic GR/R07, HiFiMan RE-0 (except for the build quality problems...), Klipsch IMAGE S4, or Shure SE215. (I know this part is off-topic)

Thanks again. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #20,917 of 29,490
Quote:
So after going through the Battle Of The Flagships (50+ Headphones Compared) thread...

(in order of what I think will fit, but I could be wrong)
  1. ATH-AD900x
  2. ATH-AD900
  3. Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
  4. Beyer DT770 (250 ohm)
  5. Shure SRH840
  6. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Anniversary Edition)

Again, this is for my brother and he listens to:
(in order of preference from what I've heard him play)
  1. J-pop (especially female vocals)
  1. Anime soundtrack (J-pop?)
  1. piano/instrumental
  2. some non-mainstream hip hop (Shing02 or Nujabes)
  3. some J-rock (The Pillows)
My budget is around $200 USD and I don't want to buy used items, nor items sold through eBay.
These headphones, whichever one I end up getting, will be run with no dedicated amp, through an iPod Touch 2G and/or MacBook with some "meh" quality music files (< 320kbps).
Since this will be his first headphone, I probably don't need to get him the best of headphones, but something that will sound decent will all of the above music preferences. This will be an "upgrade" from his iFrog Ear Pollution in-ear earphones.
...or do you think a new pair of IEM's would be better? He likes the portability of his current earphones. In that case I was either thinking of the Vsonic GR/R07, HiFiMan RE-0 (except for the build quality problems...), Klipsch IMAGE S4, or Shure SE215. (I know this part is off-topic)

The Audio Technica ATH-A900X should sound good connected to the iPod or Macbook.

The JVC HA-S500-Z have a nice sound and are folding headphones, $77, ships from Japan only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300788413563
You can get several different kind of ear pads for the HA-S500 at $15 a pair (uses same ear pads as some Audio Technica models).

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #20,918 of 29,490
Quote:
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X should sound good connected to the iPod or Macbook.

The JVC HA-S500-Z have a nice sound and are folding headphones, $77, ships from Japan only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300788413563
You can get several different kind of ear pads for the HA-S500 at $15 a pair (uses same ear pads as some Audio Technica models).

Oh-ho! So the JVC HA-S500 is part of the new "carbon nanotube" family of headphones? I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'll have to do some research on them now. :wink:  Thanks for the suggestion!

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #20,919 of 29,490
Quote:
Oh-ho! So the JVC HA-S500 is part of the new "carbon nanotube" family of headphones? I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'll have to do some research on them now. :wink:  Thanks for the suggestion!

I've been using my HA-S500-Z (Gun metal gray) with a Sony E465 player, down at the local Starbucks, sipping on a "Skinny" Vanilla Latte, while reading up on Thorium.

Here is a link to the HA-S500 thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #20,920 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been using my HA-S500-Z (Gun metal gray) with a Sony E465 player, down at the local Starbucks, sipping on a "Skinny" Vanilla Latte, while reading up on Thorium.

Here is a link to the HA-S500 thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

Actually I see that you have the KRK KNS 8400 as well. How would those (or the KNS 6400) fare for the aforementioned genres? I've heard a lot of good reviews for those too. XD

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #20,921 of 29,490
Quote:
Actually I see that you have the KRK KNS 8400 as well. How would those (or the KNS 6400) fare for the aforementioned genres? I've heard a lot of good reviews for those too. XD

Can't find my KRK8400s right now, I do want to compare the headphones.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #20,922 of 29,490
Hello guys, read about hd 588, hd 380 pro, dt770pro80 or a700. Right now i have standart pc audio, i always listen to music and playing to FPS or MMORPG. About pricing lower-better. Got about 200$. I listen to most of genres of music, but mostly its metall,rock, dubstep, so i need some bass. About hd 588 or hd 380 pro for that price i`d also buy a good sound card, but if i buy dt770 or a700 i wont have money to get the card. Also i`d like to know what sound card should i get.Ah forgot one thing, i spend A lot of time in headphones. Thanks in advice!

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #20,923 of 29,490
Looking for something for my HD600's...

Sennheiser HD600's and FiiO E9 amp for a year now... I love this combo, and the sounds I've heard go into my ears since last Christmas have been amazing. However, I've been thinking back about something: should I have gotten the E7 with them? How much of a difference would the E7 make at this point? HOW would the E7 make a difference?

I'm just wondering if I should order it once I get a little extra cash saved up, or if it's kinda a moot thing to do at this point.

(EDIT: I use the HD600 + E9 getup to listen to music on my ASUS A53SV-XE1 notebook.)

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #20,924 of 29,490
Hi all. I have a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-II which i'm happy with for day to day use.

Going to be doing some air travel in a few days (so quick recommendations would be much appreciated!) and wanted something which are comfortable for very long durations and have excellent sound naturally. Noise cancelling might be a plus, but not that fussed about it (unless people here highly recommend the feature for air travel).

Only other time they would be used is for lounging around the house/hotel, but this use will be severly limited - maybe 1 month out of the year (essentially if I go on holiday somewhere).

Unsure about budget, but I think a max of £200. That will roughly work out to about $300. Cheaper would be better obviously without sacrificing too much sound quality.

Any recommendations would be most welcome!

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #20,925 of 29,490
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80's that I LOVE and a Fiio E10 connected to my Mac Mini. Just out of curiosity I'm wondering what would be the next noticeable step up. At times I feel the mids on my Beyers are a hair recessed. I'm looking for something neutral with more pronounced mids and detailed highs for metal / singer-songwriter genres. Perhaps k701s? I once did a direct side by side comparison between my Beyers and a pair of broken-in Sennheiser HD650's, and I preferred my Beyers if that helps at all. As for the Fiio E10, anything I upgrade to would have to be a USB amp/dac combo compatible with OSX. I also hear the k701s need a beastly amp, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back