++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #20,941 of 29,490
Hi so im between the UE 9000 or the Sennheiser MM 450.

I like electronic music (mostly) and alternative.

I currently have the Bose AE2i so i want better sound that these ones...

Please help me decide.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #20,942 of 29,490
Hi so im between the UE 9000 or the Sennheiser MM 450.

I like electronic music (mostly) and alternative.

I currently have the Bose AE2i so i want better sound that these ones...

Please help me decide.

I take it you checked the innerfidelity review?

I would say UE9000 but that is only based on my expierience with the MM550 closed version and reading/watching reviews on the 9000. Based on what I am reading I don't think they are even close in overall sound. One thing I CAN tell you is the Senny NC technology takes away almost all bass when you turn it on. Both will sound better than the bose.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #20,943 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all. I have a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-II which i'm happy with for day to day use.

Going to be doing some air travel in a few days (so quick recommendations would be much appreciated!) and wanted something which are comfortable for very long durations and have excellent sound naturally. Noise cancelling might be a plus, but not that fussed about it (unless people here highly recommend the feature for air travel).

Only other time they would be used is for lounging around the house/hotel, but this use will be severly limited - maybe 1 month out of the year (essentially if I go on holiday somewhere).

Unsure about budget, but I think a max of £200. That will roughly work out to about $300. Cheaper would be better obviously without sacrificing too much sound quality.

Any recommendations would be most welcome!

Right up until I read your budget, I was going to highly reccomend the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. Bose (next to Beats and Sony) are unfortunately some of the world's most counterfieted headphones, so I'd reccomend going to into a store to buy them. Just looking on the Apple UK store unfortunately the budget is a little out of your range at 280 pounds.

If you can stretch your budget that far I do highly reccomend them. They are often criticised for not having enough bass, but I spent 2 hours wearing them on the weekend connected to a HTC One X and the bass is definitely there, it's just not prominent and boomy - some EQ in a music player can help you get there though if that's what you'd really prefer. Excellent midrange and treble, which is what I prefer on a plane as i'm usually watching tv shows or movies or listening to podcasts rather than music.

The next best thing though, and arguably much better value than the QC15's for what you get is the Audio Technica ATH-ANC9. These are available for 169 pounds on ebay UK - but that's coming from Hong Kong and it sounds like you don't have that kind of time to wait. These have several modes that block out various freuqencies of outside noise based on airplanes, office/crowd noise and a "library" mode which is a place I thought was quiet enough, but aparently not.

I have the Audio Technica ATH-ANC27 and whilst they were just OK at blocking out noise and not great on comfort, the bass was almost too heavy where i found myself changing phone sound settings as a result. I don't own a pair of ANC9's myself so i can't tell you how good they sound, but there are plenty of reviews on youtube, plus there is also this:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/09/battlemodo-the-best-noise-cancelling-headphones/
They are just rating the ANC9's so highly because of price though - they only put the Bose in 4th place because of the cost of them.

In trying to get any of these headphones quickly, you might also consider airport and duty free stores selling headphones. Sometimes they can be a bit more pricey, but to have them straight away it might not be such a crazy idea to go to the airport a day or two before your flight and shop around a bit.

Hope that helps a bit, and good luck.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #20,944 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for some closed headphones that are over the ear, VERY comfy and dont leak too much sound. Dont mind if they let sound in, but as long as i can listen to them at a decent volume and people dont get too irritated around me, its fine. 

I listen to mostly electro house and female vocals, and I'm looking for nice bass extension, not too boomy, and really nice/slightly forward mids, along with smooth, slightly rolled off highs as I don't like bright headphones.

Don't mind the styling, removable cable is preferred although if it's solid and won't break I don't mind.

Don't mind a little bit of clamp.

Budget is max 200GBP (about 250-300$) 

Might be able to factor in a headphone amp if necessary. I have a Galaxy s3 that I will use with an E7 on the go.

Thanks!

Have you considered the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro's? They fit all of your criteria and will work well with your E7. I use an E11 with them myself and the bass output is terrific and doesn't go over the top of everything else. When i'm wearing them I listen to drum and bass, hip hop, UK garage, and even some top40 occaisonally and this combination works really well with all of them.

Just make sure you get the 80 ohm model, or else the Fiio range would be too underpowered to drive the big 250 ohm model. The 80 ohm model is what I have, and sounds terrific (with an amp - without one it sounds tinny and distorted connected to my HTC One X)

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #20,945 of 29,490
Hey Guys,

Currently I'm using some Grado 225is with my MacBook and iPod as sources. I'll be getting gifts for Christmas and cannot decide on upgrading to GS1000is and sticking with my sources for a bit, or upgrading my sources to something like the Shanling H1.1 or Schiit Audio products.

Any thoughts?

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #20,947 of 29,490
Hey guys, I was thinking about asking for some akg k550 for Christmas. I've read a lot of good reviews, and I think that they'll suit my purposes quite well (folk, indie rock, contemporary christian, and Christian Rock). I don't want a complete absence of bass, just enough bass to balance out the spectrum, as I have Sony mdr-xb500 for my Christian Rap and EDM music. I'm looking for some headphones that focus more on treble. How is the soundstage of the 550s, and the mids and highs? Also, do they benefit from an amp like the Fiio E11? I'm a newb, and I'd appreciate you guys help. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #20,948 of 29,490
k550...u need to put it ON your head to get an answer. 
"the seal the seal the seal ..."
On mine, it sounded like tat is what u need. :p

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #20,949 of 29,490
Hey guys, I was thinking about asking for some akg k550 for Christmas. I've read a lot of good reviews, and I think that they'll suit my purposes quite well (folk, indie rock, contemporary christian, and Christian Rock). I don't want a complete absence of bass, just enough bass to balance out the spectrum, as I have Sony mdr-xb500 for my Christian Rap and EDM music. I'm looking for some headphones that focus more on treble. How is the soundstage of the 550s, and the mids and highs? Also, do they benefit from an amp like the Fiio E11? I'm a newb, and I'd appreciate you guys help. Thanks.

The K550 works well with the E11 IMO because I like to use the bass boost function on that amp to fill out when a little more bass is required. They are fairly sensitive and I also run them direct from my portable Sansa player.

I would not consider them a sparkly or a headphone with treble emphasis. The mids are quite natural to my ears and have an overall nice neutral presentation but not to the point of boringness. One of my favorites.

If you are looking for more sparkle you might try the DT880 beyerdynamic. The E11 will also be a suitable amp for the 80 or 250 ohm version. I'm told even the 600 ohm version is sensitive enough to run off that amp. I run my DT770 250 ohm on the E11 all the time with plenty of headroom to spare on low gain (volume at 4 to 5 out of 10)

Edit: Two more things on the 550. One people with smallish heads or glasses wearers have trouble getting a good seal. With a bad seal they sound very thin.

Also the K551 is coming out this month. It is a more portable version if you are interested in that kind of thing. 4 foot cable, ipod control etc. Just letting you know.

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #20,950 of 29,490
Quote:
The K550 works well with the E11 IMO because I like to use the bass boost function on that amp to fill out when a little more bass is required. They are fairly sensitive and I also run them direct from my portable Sansa player.
I would not consider them a sparkly or a headphone with treble emphasis. The mids are quite natural to my ears and have an overall nice neutral presentation but not to the point of boringness. One of my favorites.
If you are looking for more sparkle you might try the DT880 beyerdynamic. The E11 will also be a suitable amp for the 80 or 250 ohm version. I'm told even the 600 ohm version is sensitive enough to run off that amp. I run my DT770 250 ohm on the E11 all the time with plenty of headroom to spare on low gain (volume at 4 to 5 out of 10)
Edit: Two more things on the 550. One people with smallish heads or glasses wearers have trouble getting a good seal. With a bad seal they sound very thin.
Also the K551 is coming out this month. It is a more portable version if you are interested in that kind of thing. 4 foot cable, ipod control etc. Just letting you know

Thanks I appreciate it. I wasn't looking for a particularly "sparkly" headphone, so the 550s sound about right. Just a little more treble than the thumpin' mdr-xb500s. I also have quite a large noggin. I wear a 7 3/4 fitted hat, and I don't wear glasses, so the seal should be good. I'm also interested in a very spacious soundstage, and I've heard that these are great for a closed headphone. I've also heard that the isolation on the 550s is good, and that's important to me also.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #20,951 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for:

best mids for under $300, Open, over-the-ear full size headphone - to use at basement home office.

I have not yet experienced bass detail - curious about it.

I thought I had wanted treble detail, but the KRK 8400's hurt (even after burn-in)

> many years ago, I owned Grado 125, and enjoyed them.... but, that was before I got into portable amps, I forget their sound..
> AKG's seem interesting, I recall thinking they had refined power, maybe less raw punch, maybe less of a monitor than I have been accustomed to, I don't know enough...
> Classic rock, (Zep), Jazz, Zappa, Steely Dan, Vocalists (Lambert Hendricks Ross, Ella, Tony Bennet) and some stupid disco.  I like separation and soundstage.

I own:
DT 770 Pro 80s - recessed mids
KRK KNS 8400 - treble is piercing, hurts my ears, harsh monitor.
ATH-50m - out at Jay's to be re-cabled for the past month...so, I kinda forget what they sound like.
JVC-S500 - my portable commuter cans.

At home I use either:

MBP > Schiit BiFrost > Denon CD Receiver UD-M31 > headphone
or
iPhone or iPad or iTouch  > HRT iStreamer > iBasso Warbler P4 > Headphone 

Any recommendations?  I received only one reply.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #20,952 of 29,490
Hi folks,

I'm here to ask the opinion about my first over/on-ear headphone, to listen music at home. Consider that I'm completely newbie on the "high-quality audio world" and my ears isn't adapted to hear "little music details" yet.
My situation and what i'm looking for:

1) I use to listen Folk, Indie and Classic Rock, Latin Jazz, Bossa.
2) Headphones that works well without amps.
3) My budget is about 50-80 USD.

Also, please consider that I'm living outside North America/Europe, so the shipping may be a problem. Because of that, I would really appreciate more than 1 model recomendation, so I can search over a lot of online stores/ebay until find where they will send me overseas and charge with reasonable shipping price.

Early in the morning, I was searching on ebay and found this Sony MDR-V6 at a nice price, but the seller refurbished condition scares me, despite the vendor reputation. Anyone have any experience with refurbished headphones or heard about fake MDR-V6s? eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJ-Headphone-Monitor-Professional-Studio-Earphone-Ear-For-Sony-MDR-V6-V6-M-AY7-D-/181015693878?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item2a25604a36

Thanks[size=small] in advance for any help[/size][size=small] you can provide![/size]

PS: Sorry about my bad english

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #20,953 of 29,490
Quote:
Mm, i'm really not a fan of foldable headphones, they feel too flimsy and unstable imo. But, i'll definitely take them into consideration.

The Ultrasones definitely don't feel flimsy or unstable 
smile.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #20,954 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I have 2 main questions, very nearly posted in a new thread but decided to try here before cluttering up the forum yet more.

I've had a pair of AD900's for some 8 years now, which I have enjoyed very much, driven by a Asus Xonar STX, however they get used all day every day and are starting to show their age. I've been keen on picking up a pair of closed headphones for a while.

Every now and then I have a burst of energetic reading and usually end up deciding on a pair of DT250s - I listen to a wide range of music, mostly older rock and softer groove/dance music, so good clean bass is important with good extension, as well as mid detail. I'm not so fussed on treble, especially as my hearing range has dropped of markedly as I've gotten older, so the roll off with the DT250s doesn't bother me. Early on the soundstage with my AD900s was a big selling point, but either through the 'phones age or my own I don't get the feeling anymore so I'm not going to let that sway me too much.

So, question 1: Can anyone give approximate dimensions for the inner space of the DT250 cups? I utterly detest having my ears pressed by headphones, and while I don't have radar dishes my ears are probably a bit on the large side. One of the deciding factors for the AD900's was the large cups. I sadly don't have any stores within a few hours drive which have DT250s to try on, and I want to make sure my ears will fit inside before purchase.

Question 2: Will my Asus STX be up to driving the 250ohm version? From what I've read the 250ohm is a marginally superior version, in terms of extension and detail, but it would be a downgrade if I wasn't able to properly drive it. I picked up the card originally because of the shoddy quality of on-board sound and the time (also not having digital out), and because of the low noise floor (AD900s having quite low impedance). From what I have read elsewhere it should be able to, but I wouldn't mind making certain.

Thanks for your time, appreciate it!

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #20,955 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi folks,

I'm here to ask the opinion about my first over/on-ear headphone, to listen music at home. Consider that I'm completely newbie on the "high-quality audio world" and my ears isn't adapted to hear "little music details" yet.
My situation and what i'm looking for:

1) I use to listen Folk, Indie and Classic Rock, Latin Jazz, Bossa.
2) Headphones that works well without amps.
3) My budget is about 50-80 USD.

Also, please consider that I'm living outside North America/Europe, so the shipping may be a problem. Because of that, I would really appreciate more than 1 model recomendation, so I can search over a lot of online stores/ebay until find where they will send me overseas and charge with reasonable shipping price.

Early in the morning, I was searching on ebay and found this Sony MDR-V6 at a nice price, but the seller refurbished condition scares me, despite the vendor reputation. Anyone have any experience with refurbished headphones or heard about fake MDR-V6s? eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJ-Headphone-Monitor-Professional-Studio-Earphone-Ear-For-Sony-MDR-V6-V6-M-AY7-D-/181015693878?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item2a25604a36

Thanks[size=small] in advance for any help[/size][size=small] you can provide![/size]

PS: Sorry about my bad english

Can you add another $20 for the Alessandro MS1? It ships anywhere in the world for $100 and sounds like it was made for your first three genres. It's also above average for Latin Jazz and Bossa. 

If not, you should look at some Superlux headphones. I've heard their HD 660 and like it plus the rest of their lineup also reviews well.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-superluxes-are-good-the-hd330-hd440-and-the-hd660/

http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

While that MDR-V6 seller has lots of positive feedback, the fact that he's based out of Hong Kong and is selling them for less than any used pair I've seen in the US makes me think twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back