Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #74,941 of 75,273

Since you guys were talking about the Lrey buds, i'd like to show you my Lrey Aurora and Rika
I think you guys are in for a surprise with the Aurora :)))))))
Ooooo till us more. I've ordered it blind so any impressions would be most welcome 🙏

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #74,942 of 75,273
that is true, IEMs cause some wax buildup problems for me (even had a nasty case of earache caused by it a few years ago) and my doctor actually recommended I don't use them too much during the day. Maybe I'll enter the flat head market after I get my next headphones.
Forgot to say welcome to head-fi and enjoy the journey of discovering the head gear you like whether it's IEMs, full size cans or even flat head buds. When you're ready for buds, come back and ask questions. Someone here is bound to answer your questions and help with a recommendation based on your sound preferences.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #74,944 of 75,273
Ooooo till us more. I've ordered it blind so any impressions would be most welcome 🙏
LREY said sparkly treble yet warm when I last asked him. Eager to hear what Ace Bee thinks!

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #74,946 of 75,273
Hi, everyone. I recently received two new pairs of buds, the Ucotech ES-P2, which I know some people here have been curious about, and the Nobunaga Uguisu, which have been mentioned a couple of times, but about which I couldn’t find a lot of info. I’m not ready to share impressions about the ES-P2 yet (my feelings about them so far are… complicated and I’m giving them more time), but the Nobunaga is an awesome set of buds and instantly became my sub-$150 recommendation, ahead of the Fiio sets or even the RW-2000. I would even recommend it over the RW-3000, but that’s more of a tuning preference.

I ordered mine on eBay for around $95 shipped via FedEx from Japan and for that price, you get a great set of earbuds that are, for me, the most comfortable I’ve worn and that feel really well-made. The cable is meh, but replaceable. The tuning is right up my alley: warmish neutral, with good, but not offensive, extension and no unpleasantness in the upper mids to irritate my ears. Totally non-fatiguing. The techs are very good: soundstage is relatively narrow, but with good height and depth, and imaging is very good - if I focus, I can identify instrument placement and the notes have a good texture to them, but I can just as easily enjoy the music and listen to then for extended sessions. 32 ohms, so very easily driven. I’ve been listening to these (single-ended, with the included foams) mainly from my RU7 and the two have lovely synergy. I’ll replace the cable at some point, but for now, I’m quite content to just enjoy these. Long story short, don’t sleep on the Uguisu! They’re out of stock on Amazon.co.jp, but can still be found on eBay.
Have you ever compared the Nobunaga Uguisu to the FF3S or PAC, assuming you still have them? Currently exploring some different earbud options and I wanted to get a feel for how they sound compared to two earbuds I already own.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #74,947 of 75,273
Something landed at my door today... Nobunaga Labs' Uguisu. I'm listening to these guys right now, straight out of the box (with foams on) and I am truly impressed.

From the few posts I've read about the Uguisu in this thread, they are well liked and for the extremely short time I've been listening to them, now I know why.

@jogawag posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17309423
@WoodyLuvr posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17765707
@gylyf posted this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17832887

Purchased through Amazon Japan with direct shipping to the US. Since everyone is so used to cheap or free shipping from AE, don't freak at the shipping cost. I'm just glad to be able to order from Amazon Japan without having to use a 3rd party shipping / forwarding company.

Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 01.jpg's Uguisu 01.jpgNobunaga Lab's Uguisu 02.jpg's Uguisu 02.jpg
Nobunaga Lab's Uguisu 03.jpg's Uguisu 03.jpgNobunaga Lab's Uguisu 04.jpg's Uguisu 04.jpg
Have you ever compared the Nobunaga Uguisu with the RW-2000 or the Rhino? I haven't seen a lot about this earbud other than Woody placing it on his list under the stageheads category so I'm trying to get a fell for what it sounds like. I'm trying to narrow down my options of what I want to try after listening to the Nightingale and re-evaluating what I want in an earbud. I thought I had what I liked narrowed down and then this damn thing comes along out of nowhere lol.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #74,948 of 75,273
Have you ever compared the Nobunaga Uguisu with the RW-2000 or the Rhino? I haven't seen a lot about this earbud other than Woody placing it on his list under the stageheads category so I'm trying to get a fell for what it sounds like. I'm trying to narrow down my options of what I want to try after listening to the Nightingale and re-evaluating what I want in an earbud. I thought I had what I liked narrowed down and then this damn thing comes along out of nowhere lol.
I just did a brief comparison listen to the Nobunaga Uguisu (aka Nightingale) vs RW2k, Rhino, FF3S and PAC buds.

The Uguisu have a mid-focus clarity and their bass doesn't go deep, that is why they stand out as buds for stageheads. They do sound great when you first listen to them, almost wow you in a sense but as you listen more you start to notice things like high hat and cymbals stand out unnaturally sometimes. Of the four comparison buds the RW2k is the only one that presents with the same type of mids clarity, though not as edgy as the Uguisu. To me the RW2k stand out with its more balanced sound signature. The Rhino, FF3S and PAC buds are warmer buds compared to the Uguisu with their stronger bass presence which also clouds some of their mids and treble details.

I bought the Uguisu because I was curious about some buds from a Japanese headphone cable company and they are good buds so I don't want to discourage you from buying them, but I prefer the RW2k over them.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #74,949 of 75,273
Hello, your respected comparisons of flat-heads and your much appreciated insight in this category has led me here, after passively reading and following for some time. Maybe you have a recommendation on how to navigate this niche with so many nice products coming from small and "DIY" manufacturers; love the enthusiasm.

When looking for an "open-back headphone sound" with a good amount of detail in the mid to high range - thinking of my DT 880 - and a bit (not necessarily excessive) of bass, where would you start?

Maybe the VE Asura 3.0 FE would be a good choice? There are two reviews on head-fi and I found a youtube review (in Spanish, with auto-translated subtitles) emphasizing characteristics similar to open-back headphones: I also found budget-friendly recommendations for the Faaeal Snow Lotus and Rosemary.

At this point, I have and I much appreciate the DT 880 and HD58X with the FiiO BTR15. The only flat-head I got many years ago is the Monk plus, which has increadible value and I often use it for convenience. Thank you for any comments.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #74,950 of 75,273
Hello, your respected comparisons of flat-heads and your much appreciated insight in this category has led me here, after passively reading and following for some time. Maybe you have a recommendation on how to navigate this niche with so many nice products coming from small and "DIY" manufacturers; love the enthusiasm.

When looking for an "open-back headphone sound" with a good amount of detail in the mid to high range - thinking of my DT 880 - and a bit (not necessarily excessive) of bass, where would you start?

Maybe the VE Asura 3.0 FE would be a good choice? There are two reviews on head-fi and I found a youtube review (in Spanish, with audo-translated subtitles) emphasizing characteristics similar to open-back headphones: I also found budget-friendly recommendations for the Faaeal Snow Lotus and Rosemary.

At this point, I have and I much appreciate the DT 880 and HD58X with the FiiO BTR15. The only flat-head I bought many years ago is the Monk plus, which has increadible value and I often use it for convenience. Thank you for any comments.

I'd recommend TGXEAR Red Serratus:)

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #74,952 of 75,273
Are these good earbuds?

I found PAC quite underwhelming. Warm, slighty boxy midrange with a tight soundstage for an earbud. I haven't listened to them in a while though...

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #74,953 of 75,273
Have you ever compared the Nobunaga Uguisu to the FF3S or PAC, assuming you still have them? Currently exploring some different earbud options and I wanted to get a feel for how they sound compared to two earbuds I already own.
Just to echo what @mt877 said, the Uguisu are a little thin-sounding. I was pretty high on them initially, but the tuning doesn’t quite work for me, although putting some denser foams on them does help. They’re also very comfortable and well-made. Both FF3S and RW2000 offer a thicker sound, though with less width. Uguisu is a little more extended in the treble, but there’s a slight grain to the treble. I usually use them with my Mojo 2 and EQ a little bass, while dialing down the treble a bit. Hope that helps (and if you’re curious about them, let me know and I’ll give you a good price on my set).

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #74,954 of 75,273
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #74,955 of 75,273
1000012694.jpg

1000012697.jpg

Tiandirenhe TD21.
unfortunately, they look better than they sound, they are worse than a $5 Vido very sad :frowning2: they are also a little plump, which is why they sit worse with ear pads. The strange thing is that the stage is NOT wide, although these are inserts. The midrange frequencies are good, but there is a bit of a lack of resolution. The bass is empty, the treble is also very bad. To buy or not is your choice, but i cant believe...

p.s. in no case do I want to scold them, it's just my opinion as it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back