Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #74,251 of 75,272
Quoted your phrase from the story) So, are they (Viridis) still good earbuds today?
I ordered them, tempted by the low price. I understand that they will be bright, but that's what I want to try)

I was just listening to my Viridis last week and I certainly still find them to be good buds. They have one of the biggest stages I've heard in pair of buds. Combine that with very good detail retrieval and a driver that is quick and agile and I think the Virdis are still a darn good example of a brightly tuned pair of buds. One of my favorites in fact.

I still understand why some folks don't like them though. They make tracks sound fantastic or terrible and not much in between so they aren't great all-rounders, but when you find a track/album/artist/genre they mesh with, you can end up with a pretty magical experience on your hands.

Edit: When you get them let me/us know what you think of them. 👍😎

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #74,252 of 75,272
I would like to thank my newfound friend in here, @jeejack, for helping me make these earbuds. He's been very nice and helpful all throughout.

IMG_20240303_145934.jpg
(Also, I've started making my own cables. So I decided that I'm going to use them for this build.)

This is actually my first time following someone's build, and personally, it got me by surprise, as I didn’t expect them to turn out to be this good. I don't know if I can do them justice through words like others here can. But I will try.

The sub-bass presence can truly be felt, especially with Fiio bass foams or thicker foams. The mid-bass is very prominent, well-textured, and it packs quite a punch.

The mid-range has a warm and full-bodied presentation with impressive tonality and timbre.

The treble is well-extended with well defined clarity and resolution. Tbh I didn't expect this level of detail.

I've been listening to them all the time after making them, and have fallen asleep while wearing them multiple times already because of how immersed I got from listening to them. They're really that good lol.
It is a pleasure that I could help you. Enjoy them! 🍻
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Not only have you done a bang-up job in creating something that pleases you a lot, but even though short, your words convey the meaning you were intending very well. Or at the very least, it drew a well finished thought in my mind's eye. :)

On top of all of that, they look nice as well. :) Yes, @jeejack has been one of the most friendly and helpful people I have known on this thread (even when I first came here IIRC).
The same thoughts from me to you hermano 🍻

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #74,253 of 75,272
progalicious
Thanks for the great review! Leant a new word today and if that describes the 4k then I am all for it!

Love your growing iem collection too! Storm and Perpetua! My my!

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #74,254 of 75,272
Thanks for the great review! Leant a new word today and if that describes the 4k then I am all for it!

Love your growing iem collection too! Storm and Perpetua! My my!

You and both learned that one today! I did indeed find the 4Ks to be great when it came to music that incorporates drums as more than a background element in the mix, like prog/prog-metal. They just make the note attack, impulse, and decay sound so damn realistic! 🤘

The Perpetua is hands down the best single DD IEM I have ever had the pleasure of listening to/with and I'm not a Dita fanboy by any stretch. If I hadn't happened to try a pair at a friend's house, I don't think I would've looked twice at a single DD in that price range, especially considering how impressive the SoftEars Twilights already are.

And what Subtonic accomplished with the Storms is really impressive. They are the closest to a studio monitor/speaker-like presentation as I have heard on an IEM.

I promise that's it for the IEM talk guys. Back to the buds...😉

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #74,255 of 75,272
I think @ValSuki is talking about the upcoming CanJam NYC and asking if anyone in the earbuds community will be going to see if more buds will be present.
Correct!

I really do hop we see more impressions and people listening to buds more!

I've always had the idea of an earbud being as insensitive as a planar driver and taking or needing a lot of power. Not like a crazy amount for a speaker, but just enough power most amps could driver but still needs good amounts of juice. My drive to make buds comes and goes, so I'll leave it on the drawing board for now! But I do want to get a custom speaker design made under Valphonics for earbuds. Headphones just take so much time :v

What is considered the "hype" or the new thing in buds at the moment for higher end sound. I can see the rw-4k is getting some attention and so is Cypherus' work.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #74,256 of 75,272
When you get them let me/us know what you think of them.
Yes, of course)
I plan to close my needs with three pairs of earbuds: bass relaxation, neutral universal and bright detailed.
I have already identified two pairs. These are the Fiio FF5 (which I have had for several months) and the Viridis (which are still on their way to me).
As for bass, I am currently choosing between Fiio FF3 and Yinman 600. Are the cheaper Fiio FF3 also good earbuds with TOTL sound?
I'm worried about the high power that the Yinman need...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #74,257 of 75,272
Correct!

I really do hop we see more impressions and people listening to buds more!

I've always had the idea of an earbud being as insensitive as a planar driver and taking or needing a lot of power. Not like a crazy amount for a speaker, but just enough power most amps could driver but still needs good amounts of juice. My drive to make buds comes and goes, so I'll leave it on the drawing board for now! But I do want to get a custom speaker design made under Valphonics for earbuds. Headphones just take so much time :v

What is considered the "hype" or the new thing in buds at the moment for higher end sound. I can see the rw-4k is getting some attention and so is Cypherus' work.
You my not be able to say, but is Nightjar still releasing an earbud?

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #74,258 of 75,272
I would like to thank my newfound friend in here, @jeejack, for helping me make these earbuds. He's been very nice and helpful all throughout.

@jeejack and @mt877 have both been kind enough to help me with my DIYs, and I can't thank them enough!

(Also, I've started making my own cables. So I decided that I'm going to use them for this build.)

I have been planning to do this for a while, but I am unsure of what types of wires I should be buying, and also how to properly secure a plug or MMCX connector. I might be pestering you about this at some point. Well, in the DIY thread!

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #74,259 of 75,272
Alrighty folks, here are my impressions from three days with the Yincrow RW-4000s. As with any preliminary impressions, they can and often do change somewhat over time, though I have put these through a pretty thorough test-drive so I don't anticipate anything dramatic as far as possible changes in my evaluation. Also, I purchased these with my own money, as always. Disclaimers done, I hope you guys find these useful:

Okay, so last night I posted a teaser saying the RW-4000s (referred to as 4Ks from here on) are not just a revamped RW-3000 (3Ks from here on). What I meant by that, is that Yincrow didn't fall into the obvious temptation of bumping the price for a few minor tweaks and an accessory change. Much like the 3Ks are very much their own beast compared to their predecessors, the 2Ks, the 4Ks have their own identity. In that same teaser I referred to the 3Ks as "comfortably excellent," meaning they provide excellent performance as top tier buds should, but they have a relatively safe and balanced tuning paired with a detailed, but overall pretty relaxed presentation. To me their strong suit is being almost indefinitely listenable without the compromise in technical performance and clarity that you often find in buds that can be described similarly.

The 4Ks, on the other hand, take a more energetic and forward approach that makes you sit up and listen. Their tuning is still quite balanced, but the low end has more impact and energy (without being elevated much more than the 3Ks) and the treble gives you a significantly more incisive presentation with some additional detail and sparkle without being fatiguing or sibilant. If the 2Ks are lush, warm, and a bit veiled like the Sennheiser HD650s and the 3Ks are clearer, less warm timbral masterpieces, then the 4Ks are what Sennheiser was shooting for with the HD800s: A technical power with with impressive dynamics (macro and micro), detail retrieval that outstrips previous models, staging that provides the kind of height that gives you more layers, and an overall more intense and insightful transducer. However, Yincrow managed to do this and keep that same excellent timbral and tonal accuracy and without treble peaks that can feel like icepicks to your frontal lobes. Something Senn has been unable to accomplish. (Source: I have owned the HD800 and currently own the HD650 and HD800s)

All of that profusive gushing aside, I do have some nit-picks. I feel comfortable recommending the 3Ks to just about anyone with the cash because they're a great performer with an inviting, relaxing, and wholly innofensive presentation. I won't be doing that with the 4Ks for a couple reasons: A) The 4Ks are significantly more expensive and, while they do offer some significant audible advantages over the 3Ks, those advantages are relatively small for the price jump (AKA diminishing returns territory). B) The more forward and energetic nature of the 4Ks makes them awesome in my book, but I can see that making them appeal less as a daily driver to some folks who want a bud that works for casual listening. As I mentioned before, the presentation on the 4Ks requires your full attention. They aren't a casual listening earbud, but I'm betting that's not what Yincrow was going for. They already have the 3Ks for that. So this isn't a criticism for me, but it's something those of you considering a purchase should keep in mind.

Now let me highlight the under the radar star of the show for the 4Ks: the mids. In a pair of technical buds with articulate, impactful bass and crisp, insightful, well extended treble, the mids can be overlooked and, believe it or not, that's perfect. See, the mids on these buds are clean and clear, providing great tonal/timbral accuracy to vocals and instruments in their domain. They do absolutely nothing wrong as they simply do their job and get out of the way so the more exciting extremes can do their thing. To me, the mids are like a great bassist in a band: They sit back, stay in the pocket, and, in doing so, they make everything work. The mids are the unnoticed hero of the 4Ks and they deserve to be acknowledged as such.

The soundstage is a tough nut to crack on the 4Ks. On some tracks it sounded wider and taller than the 3Ks to my ears, but on others it seemed to be similar if not a touch smaller. I was unable to pinpoint what it was about specific tracks that caused this phenomenon, but I noticed it during multiple sessions so I don't think it was a difference in placement, but rather an inherent quality. I have to do more listening and analysis to figure it out, but I took notice and in doing so felt it needed to be mentioned here.

When it comes down to it, who would I recommend the 4Ks to? Those users who listen to the 3Ks and think they'd like to hear that kind of balance with more dynamic swing, more energy, and a 10 to 15% increase in technical performance. I'd also say the 4Ks deserve consideration by anyone looking for a TOTL pair of buds for fully engaged critical listening sessions. Folks who dig bass punch, impact, and articulation paired with detail and sparkle in the treble in a tuning that doesn't overly boost those areas to achieve those characteristics, like myself, are bound to appreciate the 4Ks. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and pretty impressed by the 4Ks. I expect them to remain in my collection for the foreseeable future.

I hope this was helpful. If anybody has any questions they'd like to ask feel free to post here or PM me and I'll be happy to answer them when I get a chance. Thanks for reading! 🤘😎

Bonus info: For now I have settled on some silicone rings and Fiio Crisp Donuts as my favorite setup on these buds. My favorite portable pairing was with my Cayin N8ii because it can do ultra clean and detailed or dirty things up a bit with the NuTube channel which the 4Ks take very well to. My favorite desktop signal chain was running the 4Ks off of a Schiit Magnius with a Soekris 2541 DAC. Something about this chain added a certain liquid smooth, effortless quality to the presentation that put them over the top. I'm yet to try them on my main rig though as I tend to do most of my bud based sessions when I'm kickin' it in my lounge chair.

Thank you so much for this! I want it. I really want it. I probably won't get it! But I'm thinking about it a lot!

I have a feeling I know what you mean about the mids. I have noticed that some buds with not a huge bass presence, like the 3Ks, make the bass that exists sound all the more beautiful. I've noticed this on DIY buds as well, when I've tuned the driver to have less bass (I'm looking at you, Yinman!).

Last, but not least, my favorite album that I listened to with the 4Ks so far was a 2019 release from Izz entitled Don't Panic. The recording style employed on the drums on that album made it an absolutely killer experience. I ended up listening to it twice, back to back. It was just progalicious! 🤘😎

What do you mean by the recording style employed on the drums? I love music with a drum focus, but what are they doing differently?

Fooltoque is current listening to Izz - Don't Panic

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #74,260 of 75,272
EB2S is currently $12 on Ali. I'm tempted myself. However I have read a couple times now that the pro version is not as good. Once my absent minded self remembers where I read it I'll link it.
I have to admit, this is what made me think the EB2S Pro might be more to my liking:
https://i.imgur.com/neAjFGk.png

but it's just from a random comment reply on the a subreddit called "Inearfidelity" so I don't know how reliable it is. but it does look like it is less forward in the upper mid-range which I tend to be sensitive to. I found it when looking up EB2S Pro reviews.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #74,261 of 75,272
It is a pleasure that I could help you. Enjoy them! 🍻
I will! I'm looking forward to what comes next haha.:beerchug:
@jeejack and @mt877 have both been kind enough to help me with my DIYs, and I can't thank them enough!
I feel the same, and that's why I feel compelled to do this post to show my appreciation.
I have been planning to do this for a while, but I am unsure of what types of wires I should be buying, and also how to properly secure a plug or MMCX connector. I might be pestering you about this at some point. Well, in the DIY thread!
I just bought different types of wires with just enough length to make a complete cable so that I can practice. They have different thicknesses, so I used the thinnest I have with this one so that the driver can properly vent through it. As for holding it in place, I just use heat shrink to wrap it tightly around the headphone jack after soldering it. I'm thinking of using engineering plastic and getting pricier wires, connectors, and hardware in the future when I get enough practice and confidence doing it. The hardest part for me is braiding them and not forgetting which wire goes where lol. IMG_20240306_210251.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #74,262 of 75,272
I will! I'm looking forward to what comes next haha.:beerchug:

I feel the same, and that's why I feel compelled to do this post to show my appreciation.

I just bought different types of wires with just enough length to make a complete cable so that I can practice. They have different thicknesses, so I used the thinnest I have with this one so that the driver can properly vent through it. As for holding it in place, I just use heat shrink to wrap it tightly around the headphone jack after soldering it. I'm thinking of using engineering plastic and getting pricier wires, connectors, and hardware in the future when I get enough practice and confidence doing it. The hardest part for me is braiding them and not forgetting which wire goes where lol.IMG_20240306_210251.jpg
Congratulations, you work very cleanly. The cable came out great

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #74,263 of 75,272
Alrighty folks, here are my impressions from three days with the Yincrow RW-4000s. As with any preliminary impressions, they can and often do change somewhat over time, though I have put these through a pretty thorough test-drive so I don't anticipate anything dramatic as far as possible changes in my evaluation. Also, I purchased these with my own money, as always. Disclaimers done, I hope you guys find these useful:

PXL-20240306-182309779.jpg

Hi guys,

I got my Yincrow RW-4000 just yesterday and I can confirm JAnonymous impression. Unfortunately, I'm new to the headphones and can't make such a professional review as he does. I don't have his experience to compare or advise :)

I own Tangzu Fudu, Truthear HEXA and HD555, listening on Fiio BTR7. As a natural sound earbuds, RW-4000 are a different class than HEXA, with more easy to listen treble and mids, without the HEXA's treble harshness... For my taste the bass could be deeper, but it's something that always differ IEMs and earbuds.

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #74,264 of 75,272
PXL-20240306-182309779.jpg

Hi guys,

I got my Yincrow RW-4000 just yesterday and I can confirm JAnonymous impression. Unfortunately, I'm new to the headphones and can't make such a professional review as he does. I don't have his experience to compare or advise :)

I own Tangzu Fudu, Truthear HEXA and HD555, listening on Fiio BTR7. As a natural sound earbuds, RW-4000 are a different class than HEXA, with more easy to listen treble and mids, without the HEXA's treble harshness... For my taste the bass could be deeper, but it's something that always differ IEMs and earbuds.

Thanks for sharing and for the support/kind words! I don't post reviews because I'm definitely not a reviewer and don't have the time to dedicate to doing it properly, but it's always nice to know my impressions posts are appreciated.

For me, the 4Ks really are a quintessential reference quality high end IEM. The detail and sparkle that Yincrow managed in the treble without introducing any fatigue, sibilance, or grain is pretty impressive and was definitely one of the first things I noticed.

I'm stoked to see someone else enjoying the 4Ks. It lets me know that I'm not a total madman when it comes to sound quality at least. 🤪😉

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #74,265 of 75,272
Yes, of course)
I plan to close my needs with three pairs of earbuds: bass relaxation, neutral universal and bright detailed.
I have already identified two pairs. These are the Fiio FF5 (which I have had for several months) and the Viridis (which are still on their way to me).
As for bass, I am currently choosing between Fiio FF3 and Yinman 600. Are the cheaper Fiio FF3 also good earbuds with TOTL sound?
I'm worried about the high power that the Yinman need...
I have both the FF3 and the yinman 600s. The FF3 has a very impressive powerful presentation. If you search you will find posts about this, particularly from our esteemed @JAnonymous5150. But choosing between the two buds, the yinman 600 is a clear choice for me. They are deliciously musical and much more versatile for different musical styles. As to the power requirements, I trust our friend @samandhi greatly, but I will say that I use only my VE Megatron, and my PC as a source, and I am very satisfied with the sound this way, especially when I use the PC app FX Sound to enhance the sound a little more. This app gives me a truly satisfying sound with the Yinman 600s, and has the added plus of being able to change the sound at will to give me different “flavors.“

Users who are viewing this thread

Back