Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #73,592 of 75,340
Was on AliExpress ordering a HiBy FC6 (on sale) to use at work, and decided to get a set of FiiO FF3S, since they were also on sale.
I may be able to round-over the corners on the connectors of a couple of my 2.5mm TRRS VE cables, that currently fit the ZOE & AOE, so they'll fit the FF3S.
Otherwise, I think I ordered an extra FiiO 2.5mm TRRS plug for the modular cable on my FF3.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #73,595 of 75,340
Where is link for langyao dr09
You have to use Xianyu app (iphone or android). It's in Chinese language since it's part of Taobao, but buying and selling used / 2nd hand items. There are no returns and you buy as is, which = no buyer protections.

You can read more about Xianyu here and here.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #73,596 of 75,340

I just found the longyao(yinmen) dr09 for pretty cheap on taobao ebay site(xianyu) for around 75$,have anyone try this earbud could you give an impression of yours to me,thanks.
Here is some information on the DR09 (32 Ohm (2021)) by @WoodyLuvr. Here, here and here. He does not give any sound impressions. He did consider the DR09 worthy of being included in his God-tier list of earbuds at one time, but has been superseded by the latest Yinman 600 Ohm.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #73,597 of 75,340
Not really. When I buy something, I try to determine what's best, or what's the point of diminishing returns, or what marries up to my other gear and won't be limited, and I let those factors decide what price I should pay.

I've been reading the Rikubuds thread with interest... I'm just having trouble differentiating the different buds, because some say the Saber 3 is warmer than the AR3, and others say vice versa. I would easily spring for one of his grand models if they are endgame quality. My DAP is 1399USD RRP, and I want something of corresponding quality.
I'd also reach out to TGXEar on Instagram or here as @tgx78. He makes TOTL earbuds.

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #73,598 of 75,340
IMG_1453.jpeg

Finally got the Dunu Alpha 3, my second high quality earbuds. My other set is the Fiio FF3 which I’ve had for over a year. Build quality is very good, I think it looks classier than the FF3. Overall sound presentation is more neutral and balanced than the warmer FF3, but it can’t match the FF3’s bass which is fuller, more impactful and actually has some sub bass rumble. Need more time with the Alpha 3 though but so far there’s not much to complain.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #73,599 of 75,340
IMG_1453.jpeg

Finally got the Dunu Alpha 3, my second high quality earbuds. My other set is the Fiio FF3 which I’ve had for over a year. Build quality is very good, I think it looks classier than the FF3. Overall sound presentation is more neutral and balanced than the warmer FF3, but it can’t match the FF3’s bass which is fuller, more impactful and actually has some sub bass rumble. Need more time with the Alpha 3 though but so far there’s not much to complain.
Congrats on getiing the Alpha 3's. After setting my set aside for a while, I've been using them more lately. When I first got them I liked the way they sounded but was critical about their bass or lack thereof. Since I've been listening to music with them again, it's like revisiting an old friend and I can now appreciate their overall timbre anew and I'm really appreciating their tuning now.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #73,600 of 75,340
Congrats on getiing the Alpha 3's. After setting my set aside for a while, I've been using them more lately. When I first got them I liked the way they sounded but was critical about their bass or lack thereof. Since I've been listening to music with them again, it's like revisiting an old friend and I can now appreciate their overall timbre anew and I'm really appreciating their tuning now.
Yeah I didn't expect the Alpha 3 to come close to FF3's bass anyway, was just looking for a neutral and musical pair of earbuds, and the Alpha 3 do just that. It's only been a few days though.

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #73,601 of 75,340
As for staging, I have not focused on this difference especially. As for tonality - for my ears FF5 has got slightly exaggerated mid-bass (and bass-mid area), and RW-2000 has got a little more bright with timbres. I avoid shouting timbres (described by some as "resolution", and fatiguing for me on long listening), but on selecting the only pair I would select RW-2000. It's more universal to my taste.
Resolution != shout

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #73,602 of 75,340
Yeah I didn't expect the Alpha 3 to come close to FF3's bass anyway, was just looking for a neutral and musical pair of earbuds, and the Alpha 3 do just that. It's only been a few days though.
Yeah, there aren't too many buds that can resemble the bass on the FF3. Those cannons they built just makes them sing in that region IMO. Having said that, if you wanted VERY neutral (with lots of air up top), you chose right with the Alpha 3 IMHO. Like the FF5 there are no offensive regions to speak of. I have, in the past, put the FF5, RW3000, and Alpha 3 as being more akin than being different; though they all are certainly different in their own ways.

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #73,604 of 75,340
Perceptions are really different.
Nope. I can show you bright and low res IEM/buds, and warm but high res IEM/buds. So, resolution != pierce != bright != shout.

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #73,605 of 75,340
Hey all, just wondering about driver reccs!
Is there a liked speaker that is warm and tonally balanced? I really do not care about techs, but I am looking to make a fun earbud using the mx500 shell but a custom splitter made by me for a friend! No intention on selling this to anyone haha, it's going to be a gift!

Preferrably not the huayunxin driver or the blue sapphire as that has gained a large amount of popularity for DIYers, since we aren't a huge fan of it :v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back