Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #73,531 of 75,210
VERY different buds. The ES-P2s are laid back, warm, and fairly reserved in the treble. The stage on them is wide and tall and timbre is a little warmer and more lush than what's absolutely accurate. They're also reasonably detailed, but they aren't technical monsters by any means and probably not a go to pair of buds for any critical listening. They're fantastic for jazz, blues/blues rock, and acoustic stuff in particular.

The RW-3000s, on the other hand, are well extended at both ends. The treble isn't sibilant, fatiguing, or harsh (quite the opposite in fact), but it makes it's presence known and contributed to their overall clarity. I find the RW-3000s to be musical with a kiss of warmth, but not near the warmth of the ES-P2s. The bass on the RW-3000s goes low and has good punch and articulation, but doesn't reach the boosted quantity, heft, or weighty presence of the bass on the ES-P2s. The soundstage isn't as wide as the stage on the Ucotechs, but it extends well in all three directions (width, depth, and height) and the timbre is damned near dead on accurate. They're also considerable more resolving than the ES-P2s.

In short, the ES-P2s are a very colored pair of buds that has to be right for the mood and the music and when they are the right pick, they're really something special. The RW-3000s are the consummate all-rounder: natural, balanced, technically proficient, and accurate. They give you back a very exact representation of what you feed them without coloring, boosting, or adding much of anything and they do it as well as just about any pair of buds and better than any pair I have heard for a similar price. Both are fantastic and I love having them in my collection, but they serve completely different purposes for me.
Great impressions, oh Great Sage!

(BTW, I considered numerous other people on this thread great sages also! This is truly a collection of very perceptive and helpful people.)

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #73,532 of 75,210
Great impressions, oh Great Sage!

(BTW, I considered numerous other people on this thread great sages also! This is truly a collection of very perceptive and helpful people.)

Thank you, but you should know that I'm definitely still a rookie compared to some of the fellas around here. @samandhi @mt877 @WoodyLuvr @Ronion @FranQL @baskingshark and a bunch of others I'm sure I forgot to add all have years on me when it comes to the earbuds side of this hobby. That said, Great Sage does have a certain ring to it so I'll take it! 😉

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #73,533 of 75,210
Thank you, but you should know that I'm definitely still a rookie compared to some of the fellas around here. @samandhi @mt877 @WoodyLuvr @Ronion @FranQL @baskingshark and a bunch of others I'm sure I forgot to add all have years on me when it comes to the earbuds side of this hobby. That said, Great Sage does have a certain ring to it so I'll take it! 😉
Yes, those and others are who I was referring to -- and we have all gained a lot from their input!

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #73,534 of 75,210
I recently purchased the FF5s not really expecting anything and didn't really like them at first. After EQing them though, I've fallen in love with them. Still, I wonder, as we all do, is the more expensive stuff that's out there really worth it? I like warm, neutral sound signatures so I was looking into the RW3000s, but they're even pricier than the HD650s, and it's kind of difficult to drop that kind of money on a pair of earbuds from a relatively unknown manufacturer or to find reviews.

If you like a warmish tone, check out the Fiio FF3 or the newer FF3S (the S is a bit less bassy).

Also, the Yinman 600 ohm, which a lot of us on this forum love, warm and thick in note weight, but needs amplification due to a sick 87 dB/mW sensitivity and 600 ohm impedance!

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #73,535 of 75,210
As for the RW-3000, I criticized them for tuning of the mid frequencies the other day but lately, either due to burning in, or my hearing has adapted to the sound, but now I find them sounding quite good. So, no more criticism from my side. )
I do like them a lot and looking forward to RW-4000 reviews.
I did some comparisons with DB1E...DB1E is not a bad earbud, actually this is a very good earbud but RW-3000 is in a different league.

DSC_0954_filtered (2).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #73,536 of 75,210
Technically, even the db1 is lagging a little behind the RW3000. The RW3000 has more extended highs that renders cymbals delicately and effortlessly with great detail and air while the Db1's highs are relatively rolled off. Db1's focuses more on the bass impact, more body and forward mids making it suitable for pop and hiphop while RW3000 excels in instrumentals, atmospheric, and classical type of music. Both are great to have in anyone's collection along with the DQSM PD21, which is more balanced across the spectrum.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #73,540 of 75,210
My fav pair of headphones would be the LCD2Cs or the R70xs. I find myself using the R70xs more because of comfort. My current source is the iFi Zen DAC v2 / Zen Can combo. As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of overly analytical sound. The R70xs, to me, are pretty much perfect without any EQ. LCD2Cs I need to tone the darkness down a little. FF5s are a tad too sibilant/sparkly for me without EQ. I'd certainly appreciate some recommendations.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the RW-4000s as well!
I'd recommend reaching out to @RikudouGoku for his gen3 Rikubuds. His house signature sounds like a good fit for you

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #73,541 of 75,210
VERY different buds. The ES-P2s are laid back, warm, and fairly reserved in the treble. The stage on them is wide and tall and timbre is a little warmer and more lush than what's absolutely accurate. They're also reasonably detailed, but they aren't technical monsters by any means and probably not a go to pair of buds for any critical listening. They're fantastic for jazz, blues/blues rock, and acoustic stuff in particular.

The RW-3000s, on the other hand, are well extended at both ends. The treble isn't sibilant, fatiguing, or harsh (quite the opposite in fact), but it makes it's presence known and contributed to their overall clarity. I find the RW-3000s to be musical with a kiss of warmth, but not near the warmth of the ES-P2s. The bass on the RW-3000s goes low and has good punch and articulation, but doesn't reach the boosted quantity, heft, or weighty presence of the bass on the ES-P2s. The soundstage isn't as wide as the stage on the Ucotechs, but it extends well in all three directions (width, depth, and height) and the timbre is damned near dead on accurate. They're also considerable more resolving than the ES-P2s.

In short, the ES-P2s are a very colored pair of buds that has to be right for the mood and the music and when they are the right pick, they're really something special. The RW-3000s are the consummate all-rounder: natural, balanced, technically proficient, and accurate. They give you back a very exact representation of what you feed them without coloring, boosting, or adding much of anything and they do it as well as just about any pair of buds and better than any pair I have heard for a similar price. Both are fantastic and I love having them in my collection, but they serve completely different purposes for me.
Can't add much more to what J's already said about these two sets. I just want to mention that what makes the ES-P2 addictive for me is the texture of the notes. They have weight and body, almost a kind of three-dimensionality, that I really dig, especially with acoustic guitar. The plucks and strums are to die for with this set.

I'll also add that it took me a long time to come around on these. For a long time, I found them really fatiguing. In part, I think that was because of ergonomics: they're pretty heavy, and the stock is also pretty heavy, so I couldn't wear them for extended periods of time. But there was also something about the tuning that my ears just didn't mesh with over extended listens (I'd day it's the amount of bass, but the FF3 never had that effect on me - could also be something about the mids). I switched to a lightweight Onso cable and have put more than 100 hours through them and whether the driver had evolved or my brain has, I don't find them nearly as fatiguing as I used to. I listen to these out of the Amp14 card on my DX320 and the synergy is pretty great.

IMG_3043.jpeg

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #73,542 of 75,210
Hi. Does anyone know if the small shell of the VE Monk Lite and Qian39 has been used in a detachable-cable bud?

My ear canal is small. I have the smallish Smabat M1 that works pretty well, but there's just no beating the two i mentioned for my fit and comfort.

My 39 is in need of a recabling and I've half a mind to attach MMCX in-line. I'm not good enough to try and fit the adapter into the stem. But maybe someone has, or done away with the stem?

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #73,544 of 75,210
Hi. Does anyone know if the small shell of the VE Monk Lite and Qian39 has been used in a detachable-cable bud?

My ear canal is small. I have the smallish Smabat M1 that works pretty well, but there's just no beating the two i mentioned for my fit and comfort.

My 39 is in need of a recabling and I've half a mind to attach MMCX in-line. I'm not good enough to try and fit the adapter into the stem. But maybe someone has, or done away with the stem?
I think rikubud is using a custom printed version and is offering mmcx

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #73,545 of 75,210
Here, a Marvel, especially with FQL Blue Moon !

Great picture mate! Colours are especially coordinated.

I'm listening to Bach & Abel: Solo by Lucile Boulanger on the bass viol this evening. Incredibly revealing and transparent on the Blue Moon via RU7. Not the heftiest note but there's a deftness and magic to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back