Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #72,061 of 75,275
The EM5 always sounded fairly muddy to me, with a bass emphasis that's too loud and too high in frequency. The mids and treble are good, but masked by the mess in the bass. The build quality is good, though, with comfortable shells and a nice cable.

At the time, I thought it would be nice to see some of the R&D from the EM5 trickle down into newer models with some tweaks and improvements. I believe that's what happened with the FF3 and FF5 and I would choose either of them over the EM5.
At first I had the same impression of the EM5 as well, but after I had them for a while, I found they sounded best with the crisp (donut) foams and a neutral sounding source. I actually like all three of the FiiO top tier buds (EM5, FF3 and FF5) for their different sound signatures.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #72,062 of 75,275
Fiio EM5 - "When it's good, it's very very good, but when it's bad it's awful." This bud is difficult to fit and is very dependent on having the correct position in the ear, hence the range of views here. It took me a long time to work this out. Personally, I find it technically one of the most capable buds in my collection for my library. The FF3 is a fit and forget bud. Not fussy at all for positioning and works well with anything. The bass is substantial for a bud and good quality. Also suits my library well.

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #72,063 of 75,275
Lunson YE-02 has arrived.
IMG20231023154040.jpg

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #72,066 of 75,275
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #72,068 of 75,275
Hi,

Where to go?

Ok, few words before... My ears forced me to leave IEM world, and after some research I'm here - probably a couple of month use flathead earbuds.

That old IEM world gave me some knowledge about my ears: I don't like Harman hill (as well 1/3-1/4 of music listeners do). I mean +10-12db rise somewehre around 2-4 KHz. +5-6db is acceptable.

Also I'm not a basshead, but prefer subbass presence as far as listen to very different genres (classical from solo violin to symphonies, jazz of 50-60, electronic music from Steyoyoke and around...).

Now, few words about my first impressions from flathead buds I have got during these months.

Ksearphone DB1. Just a magic. Not sure but will try to explain (English isn't my native language, but you definitely already noticed this fact).

So, when we perceive audio or visual stream, tremendous part of information recognition takes place unconsciously: we don't try to understand black symbols on white paper, but we see words, we don't try to analyze individual phonemes, we hear words, we aren't able to analyze the extra-complicated sequence of sounds, we just listen to sax phrase...

Those unconscious brain subprocessors demands energy. With DB1 the energy is minimal. It is very easy to accept music. Yes, this word is used very often, but really - natural.

I guess the reason is an absence of steep peaks/dips on the buds' FR. Just a speculation. That is overall FR is even.

I don't understand common terms used during audio discussions. Say, "separation" and "resolution". The first seems to be a special case of the last. In turn, resolution can be supplied by, say, timbres exaggeration and by low distortions (any combination of these two).

Returning to even FR. On reviews we read about male or female voices, guitars and so on - you know. But real evenness can be checked with something more complicated, I think. For me symphonies listening is a king to understand how an audio chain is good for me.

And this king test results in king buds, DB1.

Overall tonality: some subbass lack (but subbass presents, and it is easy listenable). The only drawback.

Yincrow RW-3000. Taking into account my relationships with Harman hill these buds result in fatiguing, in unnatural - yes, symphonies - listening. It is sad, as far as I know many music lovers like the buds. Unfortunately, I'm out of the boat. While having expected tonality at low part of FR, the HF part contains some sufficiently not-even to be noticed peak. I guess around 5KHz.

About (sub)bass. My ears are used to the perfect bass: significant part of music listening takes place with "loud" audio chain (that is with DAC, amp, loudspeakers). LF section of loudspeakers is a sealed box having volume 200l (and 18" woofer). The main advantage is low-steepness of bass level reducing on moving to lower frequency. And this is the reason why the whole audio frequency range sounds as a single source.

Any attempts to cheat the laws of physics (vented boxes and so on) result in "separation" of subbass range from the remaining part: (sub)bass sounds as "another source", "another way"... Well, you know.

If I'm not wrong, flathead buds also contain some acoustics tricks to rise LF. The aim is achieved, but that source separation is audible. RW-3000, as well the next buds I will mention below, has got more bass (in comparison with DB1), and it is separated bass. You see? Of course, degree of the separation varies from buds to buds.

Yincorw RW-2000. Overall tonality is close to be ideal for me. I don't hear steep unevenness, bass quantity is sufficient (but it's separation results in lost magic which DB1 buds have). Great buds. Ordered the second pair (are not as costly for me as DB1 or RW-3000).

FiiO FF5. Very comfortable, cozy buds. Bass becomes blurred with normal density foams. So, for my ears low density foams are most suitable for FF5. Another problem - frequency range around LF and mids border (say, 150-250Hz - speculation) is elevated. It is possible to adapt ears to this FiiO manner during a day or two (the same takes place with some FiiO IEMs) having FF5 as the only buds pair. But when you switch between many buds (and loudspeakers), this detail... well, disturbs a little.

Yincrow Calf. In fact for it's price very, very good pair. Yes, orchestral tutti isn't as clean as with senior brothers. Tonality is also almost even for my ears (sometimes some metallic taste is noticed (probably, 5-6KHz - speculation also), but it isn't often case.

So, where to go?

P.S. My ears and preferences are beyond average majority, please, don't use above impressions for decisions. Also, don't forget I'm absolute neophyte with flathead earbuds.
For English not being your native language, you have penned it very well, and described (your idea of) sound very well.

Having said that, and if I am reading it right, I don't know that the FiiO FF3 would be a natural or logical choice (though it COULD be still). These DO have some pretty deep bass, but I find them to actually have MORE emphasis on the upper bass than do the Yincrow you mentioned. They also have a boosted presence region that can definitely become fatiguing after a time. This tuning in the upper mids/lower treble was used in place of a tuned treble region, so these can sound a bit dark overall (boosted bass + lack of treble and air). That said, they are fantastic for electronic, rock, rap, etc.. but not so much for anything symphony or classical (IMO).

A set that has no real sharp dips and peaks would be the Yinman 2.0 600. I suspect that the tuning would be different overall, but there is nothing offensive or too aggressive about these. You would need an amplifier that could deliver a lot of power to drive these correctly, or you might hear things in a different way with these (and not in a good way in most cases IMO).

These have a lifted bass, but not just in mid bass, and not in a bad way at all IMO (I am no basshead just to clarify). Sub bass is all there when called for, though not over exaggerated. Treble is a bit rolled off in the most upper frequencies of the treble, but everything is clear and easily hearable without having to increase volume to get that part of the spectrum to "show up". Part of the reason that these are so popular among the most discerning ears is because it starts with a 600ohm driver, which gives spectacular natural separation (as well as other technicalities) to the mix. The tuning goes very well with the quality of the driver being used. Separation being defined as being able to separate the different musical sounds (or instruments), and even hearing the space in between. There are a ton of factors that help (or hurt) this, but it starts with the quality of the driver and how well it is able to stabilize from its peak, as well as lack of distortion and driver harmonics. Of course, there are a LOT of other factors (causes AND effects) that come into play, but the aforementioned is for definition and understanding purposes only.

On the other hand, if you want another set that has no major dips and peaks, the Moondrop Chaconne are one of a kind. These have some of the best mids and treble I have ever heard on any set (whether that be IEM, headphone, or earbuds). There are a lot of people that don't like them simply because the bass (while very fast and textured and present) is pretty deemphasized. If you are sensitive to treble these might not be for you though. When I say that, I don't mean that the treble is aggressive at all. In fact, I believe that even though there is an emphasis on treble, these are buttery smooth. These are absolutely perfect for anything that need a natural sound to instruments (such as violins, cello, piano, etc...). Their major downfall is that they are not very good with music such as hip-hop, rap, pop, etc... They might not give your fix for electronic music, but for jazz, and symphony music there is really not much better out there (IMHO).

There are a LOT of other great buds to be had out there, but these two have the least dips and peaks in their frequency curves, that I have found.
Thanks very much for sharing that. I am not sure if this is the one or not, but I will keep it bookmarked to be able to look at from time to time. Hopefully I will see the release of their new line soon?! :)

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #72,070 of 75,275
I think the long stems on the Chaconnes will also give some people fit problems. I agree that they're best suited for the same genres as you named, and that within their limitations they really are the smoothest listening experience I've had with flathead earbuds.
This is a good point, but I suppose I was thinking that if the FF3 were to be considered, then these definitely would also need to be in the mix. The FF3 have a shorter stem (by a little bit), but are thicker and therefore offer pretty much the same weight as the Chaconne. Some people DO have fitment issues with both of these, but I find them to work very well. Having said that, the FF3 probably fit me better than any other buds I have, while the Chaconne aren't quite on the top of that list; though also not at the bottom either.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #72,071 of 75,275
I wonder - would you say fitting is more subjective among open buds, or among (universal) IEMs?

After all, customs are meant to be the most perfect fit, assuming everyone in the manufacturing chain is competent.

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #72,072 of 75,275
I wonder - would you say fitting is more subjective among open buds, or among (universal) IEMs?

After all, customs are meant to be the most perfect fit, assuming everyone in the manufacturing chain is competent.
I would say that not only is it more subjective, but it is also more objective even, with earbuds. The reason for this is that unlike headphones and IEMs, earbuds rely wholly on fitment and ear shape overall for proper sound. They use your ears for their acoustic properties, not just the driver and whether you have a good seal or not. With IEMs, tips can be changed to gain better fitment, but even so, it doesn't rely on your ears shape for its acoustic properties (only the ear canal), but more on whether you obtain a proper seal. There is no seal gained with earbuds, but the shape of your ears denotes how good/bad they might sound; just like the shape of the IEM decides this.

Bottom line is that with IEMs and headphones, they are potentially much more consistent on getting similar sound among many different people. With earbuds, you might have a completely different sound among many different people simply because of ear shape.

P.S. This is also one of the reasons that graphs are wholly not to be believed where earbuds are concerned, unless you know you have the same ear shape as the rig being used for those readings. :)

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #72,073 of 75,275
Cypherus Audio Susvara Black Dragon and Venture Electronics Zen SU should both be arriving within a week or so. I cant wait to put ears on them!!

I am interested in the Moondrop Chaconne, Ksearphones DB1.....seems there is little info about this one out there.

I am also getting a TGX Alpha and Soon a FQL- Blue Moon.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #72,074 of 75,275
Cypherus Audio Susvara Black Dragon and Venture Electronics Zen SU should both be arriving within a week or so. I cant wait to put ears on them!!

I am interested in the Moondrop Chaconne, Ksearphones DB1.....seems there is little info about this one out there.

I am also getting a TGX Alpha and Soon a FQL- Blue Moon.
Looking fwd to your impressions, esp the Susvara Black Dragon.

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #72,075 of 75,275

Maybe of interest to you and others, Riku has an earbud which he calls a "Chaconne Killer", his description below. Not seen any actual reviews though but significantly cheaper.

Grand Archer 1
Bright-neutral; very low bass quantity, very upper mids/treble focused with lots of treble sparkle and thus leans a lot towards brightness and is extremely airy, not the safest tonality be aware, (Chaconne Killer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back