Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #72,001 of 75,250
Greetings to all!
Need advice from experienced people. Now I have an RW3000 and, in principle, I am satisfied with everything about them. Except that I think they’re trebles are a little compressed, compared to LCD X (yes, I understand that this is not exactly a corrective comparison) Now there are great discounts on AE for Temperament (Ksearphone) DB1 and TONEKING Dendroaspis Viridis.
Does it make sense to buy, will I get a qualitative increase?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #72,002 of 75,250
What's the best $5-10 earbud available right now? The last ones I heard were the Vido and thought they were pretty good for the money. The TRN EMA look like great value (detachable cable?!) but reviews don't seem very good compared to the more expensive EMX.
Hey ext23! There isn't really a single best allrounder cheap earbuds thats better than all the rest budget earbuds out there in that price range there's always going to be some sound quality aspects that's lacking it's mostly tuning differences and personal preferences, but the old 2012 Vidos are one of the best value for money earbuds still since they cost only around 3-4€ (used to be 0.50-2€ before) so they have good sound quality per $ value.

I would recommend only the blue or black coloured ones since they have the most consistent QC / sound quality out of all the different coloured variants in my experience of buying and using many different coloured Vidos over a few years.

I've maybe had bad luck with QC and different manufacturing batches before but the red and red&blue Vidos had worse sound quality sometimes and normal good sound other times (sounding muffled with less bass or less trebles and even smaller soundstage and worse details or channel imbalance etc.) the white Vidos sold nowadays though are a newer revision all together and not as good since it uses thinner plastics shell than before with a silver logo instead of the old black text logo they used to have, sound is still the same but with less bass than the old version white Vidos.

The 10-15€ costing Yincrow X6 Rackhour mentioned are also pretty good ones to get and I agree that they are slightly bassier and darker sounding and less harsh than the blue Vidos which have bit more mids/treble and less subbass, but the sound quality is still the same since it's a retuned / rebranded 2012 Vidos drivers that they use, it's just a bit different tuning like the other coloured Vidos though they all have a very similar frequency response so the differences are small, but the X6 comes with more accesories and a bit stronger build quality than the Vidos which have a weaker cable.

I got the black coloured TRN EMA on sale before for 6€ and it sounds okay but not very good it lacks both sub and midbass and it has a very lightweight noteweight / impact so it sounds too polite / relaxed, timbre is a bit metallic sounding sometimes and the imaging isn't that accurate, but the sound is sibilance / fatigue free at least which is nice despite the brighter sound it has.

The TRN EMA makes up for its lack of sound quality in its build and comfort which is excellent and very good for its cheap price, I was surprised at the EMAs good build for something costing only 6€, also the smaller sized shells are really comfortable and ergonomic as good as the QianYun Qian39, I would recommend them if you can find them on sale for less than 10€ and you want smaller sized comfy earbuds.

There are many good budget earbuds in the 5-30€ price range but as far as under 10€ and less costing earbuds go the old Vidos are still the best value for money, though if you want cheap and smooth relaxed / fatigue free sounding earbuds then the 10€ TRN EMA and even the 10€ FAAEAL Iris 2.0 (relaxed sounding earbuds like the EMA but with a warmer / darker tuning and better timbre) are good options.

I would recommend the Qian39 as well but it's more expensive nowadays it used to cost 4-10€ but now it's 15-20€ its sound quality is good and on similar level to the Vidos/X6 and Iris 2.0 but it lacks imaging, still it sounds better than the EMA especially in timbre but the best aspects of the Qian39 is the small size and comfort which the EMA does just as well but for cheaper.

XinYue Transparent MMCX MX500 6€ earbuds are also good for their price as well but not that new user friendly like the Vidos, X6, EMA, Iris 2.0 and not the safest sound tuning since they are very bright and have sibilance without EQ (reduce all trebles 4k-18k by -5db or more) or using thick full foams (either single thick dense foams like FiiO Bass or Hiegi ones and add 1 layer of teabag paper inside / under the foam, or just use double full foams instead).

The XinYue Transparent MMCX has pretty good imaging and soundstage while sounding airy, it has more bass than the EMA or Iris 2.0 but not as much as Vidos / X6 but the basses on those can even be too much sometimes, though a bit light in noteweight / impact but after EQ and full foams and a strong seal / deep fit its impact is better than the EMA and Iris 2.0 at least which sound too smooth. I use it for listening to orchestral or live music recordings, game/movie soundtracks etc. or any songs with good mixing / mastering, it's maybe not the best allrounder earbuds but for its cheap price it has decent details and after reducing the sibilance with EQ and thick foams I like it. AliExpress links to the earbuds:

Vido 2012 (blue colour):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...order_list.order_list_main.201.21ef18027fZDpc
or another store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...order_list.order_list_main.146.21ef18027fZDpc

Yincrow X6:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...09384545316e8ccf!64763606706!sh!FI!2161405736

TRN EMA:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...order_list.order_list_main.116.21ef18027fZDpc

FAAEAL Iris 2.0:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/326...order_list.order_list_main.241.21ef18027fZDpc

QianYun Qian39:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002275229979.html

XinYue Transparent MMCX MX500:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.36.21ef18027fZDpc

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #72,003 of 75,250
Greetings to all!
Need advice from experienced people. Now I have an RW3000 and, in principle, I am satisfied with everything about them. Except that I think they’re trebles are a little compressed, compared to LSD X (yes, I understand that this is not exactly a corrective comparison) Now there are great discounts on AE for Temperament (Ksearphone) DB1 and TONEKING Dendroaspis Viridis.
Does it make sense to buy, will I get a qualitative increase?
Hey Nivalof! I think the Yincrow RW-3000 are one of the best if not even the best commercial (non DIY) allrounder balanced sounding earbuds that does everything really well in both sound and build quality and comfort and are good value for money when they go on sale often on AliExpress for around 225€. The RW-3000 treble is already pretty bright for me, have you tried using it with donut foamcovers or with thin foams or with no foam / silicone rings or using EQ to boosts the treble by couple of dB?

I haven't heard the Ksearphone DB1 or the cheaper DB1E, but I've read mixed opinions about the DB1 before saying it has good but bright sound that is similar to the Ksearphones LBBS but a bit better in everyway, I got the KLBBS when it released for 55€ and while I liked it and it sounded pretty good the sound was sometimes bit fatiguing in both uppermids/treble and the build quality was flimsy and weak. If the DB1 is a similar sounding but improved higher quality KLBBS then it might be a good earbud but it's not worth the sale price of 280€ let alone the non discounted price at least not for me.

I've had the Toneking Viridis (Green Mamba) and they are bright though sometimes sibilant sounding earbuds with a nice open sound to them, but if you want more treble than the RW-3000 then the Viridis are a good option, but the overall sound quality is not as good as the RW-3000 so it would be a sidegrade at best, they are also larger and bulkier and not very comfortable for smaller to average sized ear canals, though on sale they cost around 65€ so they are good value for money, but I wouldn't consider the Viridis or DB1 as upgrades over the RW-3000.

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #72,004 of 75,250
Just joined the club...
I could not even imagine that I miss a very significant niche.
I started with NiceNCK B70 just to try and see if it makes sense to look further.
And yes, I liked it a lot. For the first time I hear my DAP (SE300) sounding that wide.
RW-3000 was ordered yesterday...

DSC_0008.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #72,005 of 75,250
Just joined the club...
I could not even imagine that I miss a very significant niche.
I started with NiceNCK B70 just to try and see if it makes sense to look further.
And yes, I liked it a lot. For the first time I hear my DAP (SE300) playing that wide.
RW-3000 was ordered yesterday...

DSC_0008.jpg
Hi qsk78 and welcome to the club! Yeah Flathead earbuds are a bit of a niche in the audiophile market when compared to other gear like IEMs, headphones, speakers, Amps / DACs etc. but surprisingly there have been thousand of different model of earbuds made already since the 1980s.

Nice! Haven't heard the B70 but I've bought many other earbuds and stuff from NiceHCK before, they make usually pretty nice products. Gongrats on your new RW-3000! It's a really nice balanced allrounder earbuds and one of the best ones in my opinion, I wonder how well the B70 holds up to the RW-3000 maybe you can compare them later?

I wish I had the same upgrade path as you going straight from nice NiceHCK earbuds to a TOTL buds like the RW-3K, instead I bought way too many sidegrade budget earbuds instead of a couple high end ones LOL oh well...

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #72,006 of 75,250
Hey Nivalof! I think the Yincrow RW-3000 are one of the best if not even the best commercial (non DIY) allrounder balanced sounding earbuds that does everything really well in both sound and build quality and comfort and are good value for money when they go on sale often on AliExpress for around 225€. The RW-3000 treble is already pretty bright for me, have you tried using it with donut foamcovers or with thin foams or with no foam / silicone rings or using EQ to boosts the treble by couple of dB?

I haven't heard the Ksearphone DB1 or the cheaper DB1E, but I've read mixed opinions about the DB1 before saying it has good but bright sound that is similar to the Ksearphones LBBS but a bit better in everyway, I got the KLBBS when it released for 55€ and while I liked it and it sounded pretty good the sound was sometimes bit fatiguing in both uppermids/treble and the build quality was flimsy and weak. If the DB1 is a similar sounding but improved higher quality KLBBS then it might be a good earbud but it's not worth the sale price of 280€ let alone the non discounted price at least not for me.

I've had the Toneking Viridis (Green Mamba) and they are bright though sometimes sibilant sounding earbuds with a nice open sound to them, but if you want more treble than the RW-3000 then the Viridis are a good option, but the overall sound quality is not as good as the RW-3000 so it would be a sidegrade at best, they are also larger and bulkier and not very comfortable for smaller to average sized ear canals, though on sale they cost around 65€ so they are good value for money, but I wouldn't consider the Viridis or DB1 as upgrades over the RW-3000.
Thanks for such a detailed reply!
A bit of background - I bought the RW 3000 blindly, focusing solely on the FR charts. I prefer flat FRs as I find them the most versatile. The RW 3000 have a flat FR according to the manufacturer and have a premium price. I did not know about this forum at the time of purchase. When I came here, I was pleased to find out that my choice is shared by a large number of users. I am completely satisfied with the RW 3000, I could not believe that such a shape factor is able to produce such a sound. They are almost as good as the LCD X. And the difference is in the upper frequencies, not in their level, but in their envelope. I'm happy with the level of the upper frequencies of the RW 3000, but the envelope is not. I hope I got the point across - I'm using a translator.
As for the models above - I just came across a discount this morning and decided to see if it made sense to buy. The original plan was to buy something that would take a step up from the RW 3000, if there are any such options at all. So far I have started reading this thread since the beginning of this year. And there are a couple in mind - bell ti plus and symphony dragon 3. But targeting them so far only because of their cost - haven't searched/read comparisons and reviews yet.

Oct 18, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #72,007 of 75,250
I wish I had the same upgrade path as you going straight from nice NiceHCK earbuds to a TOTL buds like the RW-3K, instead I bought way too many sidegrade budget earbuds instead of a couple high end ones LOL oh well...
Well, the money you can potentially spend here is not comparable with what you usually spend on full size headphones or IEM:relaxed: .
I decided to skip that sidegrade journey, thanks to this thread!
BTW, RW-3000 is on sale on ali now.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #72,008 of 75,250
Oct 18, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #72,009 of 75,250
Well, the money you can potentially spend here are not comparable with what you usually spend on full size headphones or IEM:relaxed: .
I decided to skip that sidegrade journey, thanks to this thread!
BTW, RW-3000 is on sale on ali now.
oooh, so it is. I've been thinking of getting a spare because I like mine so much. One for desktop, one for mobile... Well probably not. It's expensive even on sale.

BTW, someone a few weeks ago was asking about right angle connector cables on Aliexpress. I asked the maker of a previous cable I bought, and they made it in right angle and also 65cm. This is my use case. I like hanging the Qudelix on my collar, since its out of the way and the mic is close enough for calls. These ones are attached to my rw3000s.

PXL_20231018_112810952_exported_2194_1697630926859.jpg

Here is the cable. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.10.21ef1802boCYem

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #72,010 of 75,250
Damn it! Susvara Black Dragon soundstage is amazing. Deep and wide. Fantastic imaging as well. I'm listening to Tears For Fears greatest hits and I'm getting goosebumps. Also the su-bass is excellent. For example, Addicted from Riverside sounds sublime.

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #72,011 of 75,250
Damn it! Susvara Black Dragon soundstage is amazing. Deep and wide. Fantastic imaging as well. I'm listening to Tears For Fears greatest hits and I'm getting goosebumps. Also the su-bass is excellent. For example, Addicted from Riverside sounds sublime.
This is GREAT NEWS!!! So excited to get mine!

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #72,012 of 75,250
This is GREAT NEWS!!! So excited to get mine!
You will love it. Vocals also sound really good, especially female vocals, very emotional. The sub-bass has great texture and it rumbles!

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #72,014 of 75,250
You won't find lots of sub bass from the Zen SU. It's predominantly mid bass with an intimate presentation to make it exciting. In my opinion, very few earbuds I've heard reach deep enough to sound complete in the low end, including DS and Zen SU. As for warmth in the midrange, you will also have a similar warmth with the Zen SU as you do in Copper, especially if you underpower it. I can't give you accurate comparisons with Copper since I don't own it (as you know).

Desolation Sound and Zen SU couldn't be further apart. Desolation Sound sounds limp compared to the dynamic, closed back-esque sound of Zen SU. DS is more balanced across the three bands and Zen SU has a very forward midrange. Desolation Sound is much more transparent, textured and open. Zen SU has less note definition and much greater note weight.

Zen SU is an upgrade from Sun Copper but I don't think it's going to correct what you feel is deficient in the latter. My advice would be to enjoy the Sun Copper for a while longer before moving on to the next purchase.
Have another question - With bell shells, especially the SS Bell Serratus, I felt that the fit was a bit loose. However, the Sun Copper bell shells fit very well and stay secure in my ears. I believe I read somewhere the APWS and Zen SU bell shells are smaller in size. Does they fit less securely than Sun Copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back