Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 9, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #71,116 of 75,671
IMO earbuds needs foams. I always wear foams on them, sometimes two on each side to warm the sound or improve the fit.
Seriously, how can you get decent bass without foams? Also, the upper mids and treble should be peaky and piercing as hell.
Unless a specific earbud is tuned to be used without foams, I just don't see the point.
There was a time foam was not widely used, prior to earbud quality not able to perform low and high end musicaly. Earbud were then sold for purpose of communication or low def music. Therefore foam wasn't that necessary. But today earbuds are capable for music, that's why foam is necessary too. Hence , manufacturer are tuning it more high frequency out of the box.

Oh crap my imagination answer my own question.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #71,118 of 75,671
Has anyone heard anything (new) about the new metal shelled Yinmans coming out? I am interested to hear whether these will be great buds, or a dud that died in the engineering phase. :)

Wow was there such a news? Any links?

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #71,119 of 75,671
Aug 11, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #71,120 of 75,671
There was a time foam was not widely used, prior to earbud quality not able to perform low and high end musicaly. Earbud were then sold for purpose of communication or low def music. Therefore foam wasn't that necessary. But today earbuds are capable for music, that's why foam is necessary too. Hence , manufacturer are tuning it more high frequency out of the box.

Oh crap my imagination answer my own question.
I assure you that foam ear cushions have been bundled with the majority of flathead earbuds, the target transducer medium being discussed in this thread, since their inception in December 1981. Yes, there have been a few brands and specific models, here and there over the past 40 years, that were designed, packaged, and/or sold without foam cushions as an accessory but those are/were the outlier exceptions and not the norm. Generally, it has been a matter of taste and preference if people use them or not and has had nothing to do with driver performance until only recently, in the last 5-6 years, when foam-rolling has increased in practice and popularity.

Case in point, the Trio-Kenwood KH-0.5 Petitphones; 32Ω, the world's first flathead earbud, was sold in December 1981 with black/gray foam ear pad cushions. The majority of early flathead producers (1982-1983) like Audio-Technica, Marantz, Nagaoka, Onkyo, Piezo (Azden-Atsuden), Teac, Technics by Panasonic, and Victor also sold all their models with ear cushions (some of which were quite colorful) and heavily encouraged people to use them. Whereas, a few companies like Denon and Pioneer, as well as Sony and Aiwa initially marketed and sold their first models without foam ear cushions. However, they all soon rectified this due to market demand as the other brands were offering foam cushions with their flatheads. Sony created the EP-P1 Spare Ear Pad Package for their "MDR-E Series" and Aiwa for their "V Series" the Aiwa Spare Ear Pad Cushion Accessory Set which both debuted sometime in early 1984. By end of 1984 almost all models offered by Sony and Aiwa were packaged/sold with foam cushions.

I believe you are confusing flathead earbuds with the broader family of earphones which included monaural side earplugs/ear pieces and other early type ear receivers that were generally not used with foam cushions before the 1980s.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #71,124 of 75,671
Interesting shell design but I wonder how the fit will be, especially for small ears. Overear bud wearing never fit properly with normal MX shell, would be interesting to try this on.
Here's my earbud shell vs iem P_20230812_161339.jpg

Aug 12, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #71,125 of 75,671
Мені подобається звучання vido blue і nicechk B70. Допоможіть мені вирішити, що вибрати чи fiio ff5 чи yincrow rw2000? Джерело телефон... Музика щасливий хардкор, psytrance, rnb

PS Мені також дуже подобається звук sennheiser mx170, EB2S, t-music ep1, але менше, ніж vido і B70.
I also asked such a question here and in the soundcheck in the group and in the plumber. everyone came to the conclusion that the fiio ff5 plus is to pick up nozzles of your choice and a cable if necessary NiceHCK GreenJelly. or you can ask the plumber on the stream your question. he will give a more detailed answer.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #71,126 of 75,671
Hi. What is the English term to designate the form-factor which, say, BGVP DX6 or Ksearphone DB1 have got? That is to filter out
- all earbuds with silicon tips (IEMs)
- and sport oriented open ear ones (as, say, Cleer Arc II),
- as well as similar to AirPods.

I mean using in sesrch. Just "earbuds" results in mostly IEMs unfortunately...

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #71,127 of 75,671
Hi. What is the English term to designate the form-factor which, say, BGVP DX6 or Ksearphone DB1 have got? That is to filter out

This is unfortunate that most of the rest of the world refers to IEMs as earbuds. To me there are several classifications in this area. True earbuds are referred to as flathead earbuds because EVERYONE calls TWS (true wireless) IEMs earbuds nowadays.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #71,128 of 75,671

This is unfortunate that most of the rest of the world refers to IEMs as earbuds. To me there are several classifications in this area. True earbuds are referred to as flathead earbuds because EVERYONE calls TWS (true wireless) IEMs earbuds nowadays.
Earphones. Ear Receivers. Ear Pieces. Ear Plugs.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #71,129 of 75,671
Great, thanks - "flathead earbuds" is the best filter among all ones I have tried.

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #71,130 of 75,671
20230812_111415.jpg

The demo tour unit for TGXear Desolation Sound came in, my first look at TGX buds, and any earbud at this price.

They're pretty good! Fantastic, even. Best resolution on an earbud I've heard so far. Tonally though it's not entirely my cup of tea– a touch too bright and a little shouty. The tonal unevenness that comes from non-in-ears is present and gives cymbals a bit of raspiness to them that just doesn't sit with me. I can definitely see someone going for them if they like bright-neutral though. Like I said, their resolution is superb, bass quality is pretty solid, and instrument separation is top-notch.

The cable is real nice as well, no microphonics whatsoever, light as a feather and very pretty.

For an earbud at this price point basically any flaw is going to be a deal-breaker, so even "good, but not my cup of tea" is enough for me to pass on it, but I'm sold on TGXear as a maker and on the idea of a top of the line earbud in general, which is something I've been skeptical about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back