Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #68,956 of 75,861
Found something '90s retro in one of my desk drawers. The foams were sticky and falling apart, but came off without any issues. I put on some new foams and these buds sound pretty good with decent bass. They were in the Jensen digital audio case. I'm not sure if I just put them in there way back then for storage or if Jensen supplied Goldyip buds with any of their cassette players back in the day. Anyway, here's my retro find, fully revived and playing music again after a long time in drawer purgatory.

Edit: Measured them, 32Ω.

Goldyip buds 01.jpg
Goldyip buds 02.jpg

Goldyip buds 03.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #68,957 of 75,861
Found something '90s retro in one of my desk drawers. The foams were sticky and falling apart, but came off without any issues. I put on some new foams and these buds sound pretty good with decent bass. They were in the Jensen digital audio case. I'm not sure if I just put them in there way back then for storage or if Jensen supplied Goldyip buds with any of their cassette players back in the day. Anyway, here's my retro find, fully revived and playing music again after a long time in drawer purgatory.

Goldyip buds 01.jpgGoldyip buds 02.jpg
Goldyip buds 03.jpg

I had some Sony buds long ago that had that same style cord roller case. Very cool!

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #68,959 of 75,861

Edit: Measured them, 32Ω.

Goldyip buds 01.jpgGoldyip buds 02.jpg
Goldyip buds 03.jpg

Yeah, they look cool, but the real question is how do they sound? I'm genuinely interested to know. I have run across a few pairs of buds from old Walkmen, CD/casette players, etc and some of them have actually been pretty solid. Cool find! 😎

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #68,960 of 75,861
Set It Off, Shadow on the Sun - Audioslave (Chris Cornell and the FF3s were freakin'made for each other! 🤘)

True Love Way, Four Kicks, and Day Old Blues - Kings of Leon

Crawling Kingsnake - The Black Keys

New Levels, New Devils - Polyphia (an album not a song, but the FF3s and this album sound so sick together)

Calm Like a Bomb, Down Rodeo - RATM

I could keep going all night, but those are a few from my last session with the FF3s that really got me going.

Edit: Also, you haven't done your FF3s justice if you haven't listened to Saxophone Colossus, Sonny Rollins' 1957 album, through them. They nail Rollins' liquid smooth riffing. 😎 When I was learning how to play jazz sax Coltrane (obviously), Rollins, and Wayne Shorter (RIP) were my sax gods.
Can I add Beth Gibbons and the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra performing Henryk Górecki's Symphony Number Three to the list. I'm not a big classical music guy but the FF3s make this recording shine (as much as a Symphony of Sorrowful Songs can ever 'shine'). It's dark and moody and sounds absolutely stunning through these little marvels. Stage and separation are incredible.

Mar 28, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #68,961 of 75,861
Can I add Beth Gibbons and the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra performing Henryk Górecki's Symphony Number Three to the list. I'm not a big classical music guy but the FF3s make this recording shine (as much as a Symphony of Sorrowful Songs can ever 'shine'). It's dark and moody and sounds absolutely stunning through these little marvels. Stage and separation are incredible.

Absolutely and thanks for the rec. I'm always down to check out more music, especially if it sounds epic with my FF3s. 👍😎 I will definitely be looking this one up when I throw on my FF3s in a bit.

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #68,962 of 75,861
Yeah, they look cool, but the real question is how do they sound? I'm genuinely interested to know. I have run across a few pairs of buds from old Walkmen, CD/casette players, etc and some of them have actually been pretty solid. Cool find! 😎
These old buds can't stand up to the likes of our modern well tuned buds connected to our modern DAPs. When connected to my Sony NW-ZX707, the buds lack lower bass, more mid-bass focus, while the mids/treble are forward. Doesn't sound bad, but not something I would listen to normally. But connecting them to something they were meant to be heard through and they shine. Synergy of these old buds with my old Aiwa cassette player is tons better than compared to being connected a modern DAP. Unbelievably the buds sound well balance with some bass boost. That Kraftwerk cassette sounds killer. Threw in a TDK Metal bias tape of one of those Classical Relaxation tapes and I can't believe the sound I'm getting from these old buds.

Goldyip buds and Aiwa cassette player.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #68,963 of 75,861
These old buds can't stand up to the likes of our modern well tuned buds connected to our modern DAPs. When connected to my Sony NW-ZX707, the buds lack lower bass, more mid-bass focus, while the mids/treble are forward. Doesn't sound bad, but not something I would listen to normally. But connecting them to something they were meant to be heard through and they shine. Synergy of these old buds with my old Aiwa cassette player is tons better than compared to being connected a modern DAP. Unbelievably the buds sound well balance with some bass boost. That Kraftwerk cassette sounds killer. Threw in a TDK Metal bias tape of one of those Classical Relaxation tapes and I can't believe the sound I'm getting from these old buds.

Goldyip buds and Aiwa cassette player.jpg

I dig the fact that you rock the cassettes and minidiscs. Thanks for the rundown. It's always nice to make listening an experience like that. 🤘😎

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #68,964 of 75,861
I dig the fact that you rock the cassettes and minidiscs. Thanks for the rundown. It's always nice to make listening an experience like that. 🤘😎
I always liked making mixed tapes for road trips. Taking the time to record vinyl to tape with select tracks to fit different moods. My fun to drive '86 Honda Prelude Si is still rockin' the cassettes, although these days I have a bluetooth cassette I throw in and link up a modern DAP. It's fun with the old gear.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #68,965 of 75,861
I always liked making mixed tapes for road trips. Taking the time to record vinyl to tape with select tracks to fit different moods. My fun to drive '86 Honda Prelude Si is still rockin' the cassettes, although these days I have a bluetooth cassette I throw in and link up a modern DAP. It's fun with the old gear.

My uncle and I picked up a 1974 Dodge Charger we're restoring that came with a functioning 8 track deck and a box of cartridges that are all classic rock. We've decided to leave the deck in for just that reason. 👍

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #68,966 of 75,861
My uncle and I picked up a 1974 Dodge Charger we're restoring that came with a functioning 8 track deck and a box of cartridges that are all classic rock. We've decided to leave the deck in for just that reason. 👍
That's beautiful!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #68,967 of 75,861
FiiO posted this pic in a new thread they created in Portable Source Gear about their new M15S DAP.

So what do you see? Avert your eyes from the beautiful young lady... That's right a set of FF5 in their M15S promo pic. Nice!

12017869.jpeg
My thought process when reading this post.

"Oooh is that a new color variation of FF5? ...no it's just the lighting. Haha, it's cute that you're calling them a 'beautiful young lady' XD. To the right of...? but they are on the far right of the picture. There is nothing to the right of them... <eyes finally register the whole picture> wait a second, oh THAT's the lady."

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #68,968 of 75,861
My thought process when reading this post.

"Oooh is that a new color variation of FF5? ...no it's just the lighting. Haha, it's cute that you're calling them a 'beautiful young lady' XD. To the right of...? but they are on the far right of the picture. There is nothing to the right of them... <eyes finally register the whole picture> wait a second, oh THAT's the lady."

LOL 😂 you're not alone. I did basically the same thing. I looked at the picture for a good 15 to 20 seconds before I saw the lady. 🤦‍♂️

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #68,969 of 75,861
LOL 😂 you're not alone. I did basically the same thing. I looked at the picture for a good 15 to 20 seconds before I saw the lady. 🤦‍♂️

I suspect with many audiophiles, that if a young lady suggested "that it 's very hot, and it might be more comfortable with less clothes on". The reaction is most likely to be a comment on the tonality of her voice!:rolling_eyes:

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #68,970 of 75,861
BTW, I've been trying to put my thoughts in order regarding my recent purchase of the RW-3000. I have less experience in listening and reviewing than many of you, so I can't really put it into perspective without talking about previous purchases. I'll try to keep it brief (Haha).

First (modern) earbud purchase: FiiO EM5. I bought them because, after numerous IEM purchases, I despaired of ever finding an inner-ear solution that I could be comfortable enough with to enjoy. I loved the EM5s especially because of the form factor, but they sounded 'dirty' somehow compared to my Moondrop Blessing 2's which were my best comparison at the time. EM5s I couldn't listen to for extended periods of time.

Second earbud purchase: Rikubuds Berzerker 1. They lacked the 'dirty' sound of the EM5s, and were totally non-fatiguing. However, the mids and highs feel muted on the Berzerker 1s to my taste. I think this is by design, as they were made to emphasize base as much as possible, which is exactly what they do!

Third earbud purchase: FiiO FF3. These were a great step forward. Tuning much more to my liking than anything I previously had. They were the first earbuds which made me want a better tuned pair of over-ears than the HD560s that I have. However, they still retained some of the 'dirty' sound, again as compared to my Blessing 2s. They weren't as bad as the EM5s, but I could not wear them all day.

4th earbud purchase: FiiO FF5. Another great step forward for me, purely because they were entirely non-fatiguing but still retained great mids and high end sparkle. Finally a lively earbud that didn't sound dirty! However, sometimes I would A-B them against another bud like the EM5 and find that the FF5 were de-emphasizing parts of the music I really enjoyed.

5th earbud purchase: RW-3000. Tuning - amazing. Detail - amazing. Completely non-fatiguing. Absolutely none of the 'dirty' sound I found in the FF3 or the EM5. For me these are again a huge step up from anything else I have. Detail not only in the highs or in percussion, but even bringing out the texture of lower frequency instruments. These allowed me to enjoy gritty guitar lines that I would previously avoid because they would make my ears 'cringe'. I A-B'd them against the Blessing 2s, and they are much more impactful and at the same time more detailed and better tuned. They are easily the best sounding transducers I have now.

My current theory is that there is a frequency range that I find fatiguing and is emphasized in both the FF3 and EM5, and missing in the FF5, RW-3000, and Blessing2, and that my mind somehow interprets this frequency emphasis as 'dirty'. I'd like to hear some opinions from you all on this. I'm hoping that many of you will be like, "oh yeah, that's because of <blah blah blah>", and I'll be able to express my preferences and difficulties better in the future :p

Anyways I absolutely love the RW-3000s. I did not ever plan on gathering earbuds for the sake of having a bunch of different earbuds for different occasions. In that respect I feel like I found a bud that suits me perfectly enough that any other bud I try would at best be a minor upgrade or sidegrade. I could stop here!

...However, rabbit holes do not work that way. It's your all's fault, but despite finding a TOTL that suits me, I still find myself wanting to try all the new stuff: Yinman 600 ohm, Txgear Ripples, yes those super expensive Pislo piezoelectric buds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back