Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 18, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #68,476 of 75,858
Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks, the confusion happens more often. I think it is probably because of @twister6's good looks and iconic kitchen counter that people overlook the other contributors at Tw6. 😜

You're very welcome! And thanks for the clarification :beerchug:

Feb 19, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #68,478 of 75,858
Hello !
Looking for some earbuds with the smallest diameter for my daughter (10yo). Any specific ideas ?
I understood that I need to look a Yuin shell ? Mayble any other option with specifi shape making fit easier for a small ear ?
Thank you very much
I made these for my daughter.... and it worked, then I upgraded to this other one, they are very polite that the cable is good for their sound

(32 Ohm BG metal shell)

IMG_20220213_003731.jpg

JLABs mod

20230219_114614.jpg

Yeeeeep, Im crazy.... but.... Hearing my kids say, oh my god, dad, that sounds great, and seeing them use it day after day, is something that makes me feel proud in a way that is very hard to beat....

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #68,479 of 75,858
Hello !
Looking for some earbuds with the smallest diameter for my daughter (10yo). Any specific ideas ?
I understood that I need to look a Yuin shell ? Mayble any other option with specifi shape making fit easier for a small ear ?
Thank you very much
You could refer to this post that has some options for a smaller diameter earbud:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17384699
I made these for my daughter.... and it worked, then I upgraded to this other one, they are very polite that the cable is good for their sound

(32 Ohm BG metal shell)

IMG_20220213_003731.jpg

JLABs mod

20230219_114614.jpg

Yeeeeep, Im crazy.... but.... Hearing my kids say, oh my god, dad, that sounds great, and seeing them use it day after day, is something that makes me feel proud in a way that is very hard to beat....
WOW! Those are SO cool! I'm thinking I need a pair of those... :)

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #68,480 of 75,858
Hello !
Thank you very much
Maybe these would work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233983913760
s-l400.jpg

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #68,481 of 75,858
Just got mine in too. Unfortunately the left side cable is DOA. I don't feel like returning them though, after listening for an hour using FF5's cables.
First impression is a whole lot of detail. More than anything else I own. Piano sounds fantastic. More impressions after I listen for a few weeks :p
Wow, that's too bad. It's a nice cable, I hope you can get a replacement from Yincrow. If not I'd replace the connectors to get some use from the cable.

Edit: My guess is that there was a poor soldering job at either the left mmcx or at the 3.5mm / 4.4mm plug end.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #68,482 of 75,858

(32 Ohm BG metal shell)

IMG_20220213_003731.jpg

JLABs mod

20230219_114614.jpg

Hermano those are the shells from uncle JJ ? 🥰

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #68,483 of 75,858
Wow, that's too bad. It's a nice cable, I hope you can get a replacement from Yincrow. If not I'd replace the connectors to get some use from the cable.

Edit: My guess is that there was a poor soldering job at either the left mmcx or at the 3.5mm / 4.4mm plug end.
It is a nice cable :frowning2: When I first plugged them in, the left side didn't click into place like mmcx normally does, it felt smooshy, which makes me think the actual connector is at fault instead, although when I compare the left and right side I don't see anything that looks strange. It's really small though, so hard to see anything without magnification.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #68,484 of 75,858
When I first plugged them in, the left side didn't click into place like mmcx normally does, it felt smooshy, which makes me think the actual connector is at fault instead, although when I compare the left and right side I don't see anything that looks strange. It's really small though, so hard to see anything without magnification.
There IS a tool that can help you fix this issue (if it is indeed the connector). After all most of the MMCX connectors (male and female alike) have sort of a flute design that can be bent out of whack, or back into place if one is careful. You could do it with a simple pair of needle-nose pliars, but there is a tool that makes it a bit more precise.

That is assuming it isn't bent TOO far out of shape...

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #68,485 of 75,858
There IS a tool that can help you fix this issue (if it is indeed the connector). After all most of the MMCX connectors (male and female alike) have sort of a flute design that can be bent out of whack, or back into place if one is careful. You could do it with a simple pair of needle-nose pliars, but there is a tool that makes it a bit more precise.

That is assuming it isn't bent TOO far out of shape...
I tried using my smartphone zoom to look at it a bit closer. There is a center pin on the right side connector right in the middle that is completely missing on the left side. I'm not a very capable DIY'er, but I think maybe I found the problem.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #68,486 of 75,858
I tried using my smartphone zoom to look at it a bit closer. There is a center pin on the right side connector right in the middle that is completely missing on the left side. I'm not a very capable DIY'er, but I think maybe I found the problem.
Yep, that center pin is the positive connection, won't work without it. That is definitely a manufacturing defect. There's no way to fix that except to replace the mmcx connector. I would recommend replacing both left and right sides at the same time. If only one side is replaced, the cable on that side will be shorter than the other side.

Basically the old mmcx connector is cut off where the cable enters the mmcx. Then the wire insulation is stripped back to expose a small amount of the conductors. Many cables have an outer jacket and the multi-strand wire inside has an ultra thin plastic jacket as well which can't be stripped off. You'll know if the inner wires have an ultra thin plastic insulation if the multi-strand wires don't splay out, that means they're held together with some insulating jacket like plastic or even varnish. The individual wires need to be prepped before soldering, a process called "tinning" which the multi-strand wire would have a small amount of solder applied. The best way to do that is to apply a very small amount of flux to the wire, touch some solder to the soldering iron to form a small blob of molten solder. Then you touch the wire with flux applied to the molten solder blob on the soldering iron tip. That will melt the ultra thin insulation and apply a small amount of solder to the end of the wire and the tinning process is complete.

Here's a little secret, for flux you could use everyday vaseline as the flux. Just poke the very end of the wire into the vaseline to coat it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #68,487 of 75,858
Good work detective! :)

Though I am sorry this happened to you.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #68,488 of 75,858
Take a photo and send it to Yincrow. It may convince them to send you a replacement cable.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #68,489 of 75,858
I contacted the Aliexpress store that I purchased from. VS Audio Store they are called. Their automated response in case of cable failure asked me to provide a video showing one side working and one side not working. I did so, and they just responded saying that they will replace the cable, no need for me to return the product. So here is looking forward to that. I will let you know how it goes.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #68,490 of 75,858
I contacted the Aliexpress store that I purchased from. VS Audio Store they are called. Their automated response in case of cable failure asked me to provide a video showing one side working and one side not working. I did so, and they just responded saying that they will replace the cable, no need for me to return the product. So here is looking forward to that. I will let you know how it goes.
Update. They asked me to "click this link" and pay USD 0.10 for a new purchase order for only the cable. I was wondering if I was going to be taken to a shady website and asked to enter my credit card details. But no it was just a 0.10 random item page on their Aliexpress store, where they already have my credit card details. Kinda like the FiiO $1 item page where we buy our foams.
I guess it is just the easiest way, since Aliexpress will provide the tracking, etc. And they said they will refund my 0.10 after I receive it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back