Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 28, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #65,461 of 75,288
@o0genesis0o has ordered the 2.5mm tip from Fiio through AliExpress IIRC. He should be able to help you out.
Oh, I did not know that, and would also be interested. I guess I never bothered to ask because I didn't think they made them (else why wouldn't they include them???). Interesting!

Is it the same method used for ordering extra foams, I wonder?

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #65,463 of 75,288
I am not sure why the need for you to show up here (from nowhere) and pick apart what I have to say, and (seemingly and or possibly purposely) misunderstand what it is I'm trying to say. Saying that masters are usually kept in .wav being one of those. That is an irrelevant statement, because it is still PCM not DSD (in which case there ARE some artists that DO indeed record to DSD). My OG post was not inaccurate (other than the one item I apologized for) and we could argue day in and day out, citing opposing information until "the cows come home" (of which I am sure there is an abundant amount on either side, just like the argument whether cables make the difference in sound or not, for instance), and it would solve nothing.

Why would you bother to ask me for a repost of a link that you are only determined to refute to begin with? Maybe you should have this argument with the creator of the Neutron app (which is where I pulled the information from). https://neutroncode.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6143

Another "for instance", I could be passive aggressive and tell you that DSD is actually NOT a transmission/playback format (which appears to be the sort of thing you are doing with all that I say). It was created as a storage format for archived recordings, in which case I would be correct. Then you would say "it may have begun its life as such, but is no longer used in that manner", in which case you would also be right. There are "unmeasurable" characteristics about sound that can neither be qualified nor quantified whether you spout quotes from others or are an engineer yourself. Sometimes math DOES indeed get in the way of being correct where sound is concerned.

I am not going to continue this (pointless) conversation with you (especially parts where you try and "school" me about what a lossless file is and such, as an example). If you feel the need to correct (with your version of whatever it is that you are arguing) feel free to hop on over to the "Sound Science" threads. I hear they love arguing with each other over there. I don't need to spend all day/every day doing a write-up just to apply added knowledge to back up @JAnonymous5150's post, which was in reply to @o0genesis0o's query.

I came to this thread to get away from elitists that think they are better or like to "flex" or show off by trying to discredit others with three-page write-ups. So please don't come in here and try and "talk down" to me as if I were a child that doesn't know any better and cite whatever statistics that make you seem 100% right. You're not, and (as mentioned earlier) I could find opposing citations that would oppose some of what you say. I'm not saying you are totally wrong, you're not. But you are focusing on something that is actually irrelevant (not pertinent) the the actual conversation.

You have yourself a great day sir/madam!

Code:
@samanadhi presses the ignore button for @Kenyon

the dsd is better because it occupies more megabytes, what do you think? It is an objective and measurable data! As I continue with this level I will have to make an account where the people who know!

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #65,464 of 75,288
Haha completely understand have had that experience myself as well and it drove me crazy…

If you don’t mind me asking what sources are/were you using?

I primarily use Fiio KA3 because it sounds the best. It also drains battery fast, though. I also use AP80 Pro X DAP, which sounds less impactful but equally clean. And then there are BTR5, some Shanling stuffs. And of course I use Apple dongle for measuring frequency response.

Anyone knows why Crinacle "hates" earbuds? I was looking for some measurements on the Chaconne on his ranking lists but nothing.
I mean he literally said its not a good technology in one of his videos, but no further explanation.

To be fair, earbuds are indeed inferior as portable gears, you know, their intended purpose. As soon as there is any noise, your whole listening experience is ruined. You are not reducing noise to the ears, you are adding, which might not be healthy in long term.

For most people, they don’t hear soundstage and even if they do, they don’t care (personal experience letting casual listeners audition my stuffs). They want bass, real thick midbass. We rarely have good bass on buds (I said rarely, not never)

Before I go trying to ask @FiiO, does anybody here know anything about getting additional terminations to their modular cables?
I'm quite enjoying my new FF3 and I'd really like a 2.5mm balanced termination to snap on to it.

I am finding the little 1V dongles (3.5mm SE) not really powering them sufficiently, so I'd like to us a more powerful TempoTec dongle that's 2.5mm.

Hi folks, answer from Fiio below:

Dear friend,

If you need two, the cost is 16USD in total.

Pls open this Aliexpress link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004279948615.html, then to input "16" in the option of Quantity and click "Buy now" to complete the payment. After receiving your payment, we will arrange to send the item to you as soon as possible.
Kindly remember to leave a message of the ticket number and the item you need, for example ' Ticket id({{ticket.id}}) M5 display,' along with the payment, then I can handle it effectively.
asynccode

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #65,465 of 75,288
Btw, audio hobby is dramatic. Chill, my fellow audio geeks :dt880smile:

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #65,466 of 75,288
I consider myself a lurker in this thread, largely because I don't get much time to post, but I enjoy reading the regular exchanges that happen here and while this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I feel we need to inject some positivity!

What are we enjoying this week? Any new buds or bud-related paraphernalia?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #65,467 of 75,288
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #65,468 of 75,288
To be fair, earbuds are indeed inferior as portable gears, you know, their intended purpose. As soon as there is any noise, your whole listening experience is ruined. You are not reducing noise to the ears, you are adding, which might not be healthy in long term.

For most people, they don’t hear soundstage and even if they do, they don’t care (personal experience letting casual listeners audition my stuffs). They want bass, real thick midbass. We rarely have good bass on buds (I said rarely, not never)
Very interesting analysis! And I think you are absolutely right about what "most" people care for (and don't) in head gear.

Dear friend,

Pls open this Aliexpress link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004279948615.html, then to input "16" in the option of Quantity and click "Buy now" to complete the payment. After receiving your payment, we will arrange to send the item to you as soon as possible.
Kindly remember to leave a message of the ticket number and the item you need, for example ' Ticket id({{ticket.id}}) M5 display,' along with the payment, then I can handle it effectively.
asynccode
Fantastic! Thank you for looking into this for us. I will have to order a 2.5mm for myself then. :wink:

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #65,469 of 75,288
I consider myself a lurker in this thread, largely because I don't get much time to post, but I enjoy reading the regular exchanges that happen here and while this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I feel we need to inject some positivity!

I daily drive a DIY Frankenstein buds based on the drivers of YD30, stuffed in a metal shell. I particularly enjoy the feeling of lying on the bed with lights off, listening to a large orchestral piece with earbuds. I feel like floating in the space music around and in-front of me.

I'm enjoying the "Score" album by 2CELLOS. I practice violin but I like to listen to 2CELLOS and learn their bowing. Their tone is so strong and stable yet sensible. When I try the "strong" part, I tense up and sound like a robot. When I try the "sensible" part, my teacher (in the past, no more teacher nowadays) politely but firmly told me to stand still and play properly :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #65,470 of 75,288

And thank you for that sir! :)

Today I decided to try (again) the FF3 with the "crisp" foams (upon recommendations from a few of you on here). And I still find them a bit hot for me. But.... since I am burning in (or getting my brain used to) the M4 being hot, I thought I might try the same with the FiiO and see what happens.

And I am still stuck on Umphrey's Mcgee per @JAnonymous5150 rec (thanks again for a wonderful find). How about u?
I've been enjoying this album on my Alter Rider 1: https://tidal.com/album/2044465
Nice! I will give that a listen later tonight.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #65,471 of 75,288
I'm enjoying the "Score" album by 2CELLOS. I practice violin I like to listen to 2CELLOS and listen for their bowing.

I need to check these out. I don't know where my obsession for string texture came from but that's all I've been chasing for in my drivers over the past year. That woody, warm, expressive texture where you can imply the bowing technique and movement of the person playing.

I feel like floating in the space music around and in-front of me.

Lying on the bed and winding down with an earbud is great. I tend to go for some Robert Rich and his Somnium album or Harold Budd' 'The Pearl'. It really relaxes me!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #65,472 of 75,288
I daily drive a DIY Frankenstein buds based on the drivers of YD30, stuffed in a metal shell. I particularly enjoy the feeling of lying on the bed with lights off, listening to a large orchestral piece with earbuds. I feel like floating in the space music around and in-front of me.

I'm enjoying the "Score" album by 2CELLOS. I practice violin but I like to listen to 2CELLOS and learn their bowing. Their tone is so strong and stable yet sensible. When I try the "strong" part, I tense up and sound like a robot. When I try the "sensible" part, my teacher (in the past, no more teacher nowadays) politely but firmly told me to stand still and play properly :dt880smile:
LOL is that their name?

This BTW is also one of the things that SO attracted me to buds to begin with. I just couldn't imagine something sounding so out of my head; more even than open back headphones because those you KNOW are on your head (most times lol), but earbuds give you that same sense, and you sometimes forget they are there, which in turn tricks your brain and you seem to feel that even more.

Oh 2Cellos are great IMO! How long have you played?

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #65,473 of 75,288

Dear friend,

asynccode
I'm interested in this too. So for a single 2.5 mm balanced termination, the cost is 8USD?

What do they mean by Ticket ID? I am guessing they want to reference the support incident you opened to ask about it?

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #65,474 of 75,288
I'm interested in this too. So for a single 2.5 mm balanced termination, the cost is 8USD?

What do they mean by Ticket ID? I am guessing they want to reference the support incident you opened to ask about it?

Yes, I do think so. It took me a while to understand that the example they gave is about someone who needs a replacement screen for M5 DAP.

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #65,475 of 75,288
I have been busy all day at the studio and whatnot, but as per @ian91 post about what were are enjoying I've got one. As most of you guys know, I got two pairs of Cypherus Audio buds recently, the ZoomFred Pros and the Black Edition with a custom retune job by Herry. Both are awesome and I'm stoked to own them.

I'm really surprised by one thing in particular though. The ZF Pros are a better technical bud and a newer model that I like better than the way the Black Editions sounded before the retune. However, these retuned Black Editions are a whole different beast! They have this powerful attack with thick meaty decay and this overall punchy, funky style to them that has me addicted to listening to music with killer baselines especially if the bass guitar is being played slap style. I don't even know exactly how to describe it, but I don't think I've ever heard it before and I've been absolutely stuck on hunting through my music collection for albums specifically to play on these. So much fun! 🤘😎

Don't you just love it when you buy, make, or acquire something that adds happiness to your life and exceeds all expectations? I do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back