Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #65,401 of 75,282
I must have come along (here) right after you exited, because @ RikudouGoku wasn't here long before I came over here (and for pretty much the same reasons).

Yeah, perhaps. You have been on Head fi for a long time and have a lot of posts.
Except for perhaps 100 posts on other threads, I have only been on this thread all of these years.
I also used to spend a lot of time on the forums of Anythingbutipod. Too bad that place is gone now.

This place is great for info. I almost decided to buy the 7HZ Beatles and was close to add the Smabat S20pro to my "to buy" list but the impressions from you people here made me cross them from the list. However, I did buy a bunch of MMCX cables before I crossed them off the list. Well, I can always use them for future earbud purchases that use MMCX...

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #65,402 of 75,282
I do not want to speculate about other people here. Have not had any problems at all during 12 years (well, 10 if you exclude the last 2 or so years when I hardly even came to Head fi and didn't write in this thread).

The only names I remember clearly are yours and digititus. RikudouGoku had just joined before I drifted away and he made a big impression on me because of his enthusiasm from just having discovered earbuds. All the other old timers are gone. Probably happy with the gear they've got...

I have ClieOs old earbud ranking saved on my hard drive. Someone made a copy and posted it on Google docs and I downloaded it. But it is pretty old. The top bud on it is MX985, second is Blox TM7 (released in 2012!). All of those earbuds are almost vintage by now...
Edit: no 3 is Shozy BK, 4 is VE Zen 1, 5 is Rose Mojito. The list was last updated in October 2016.
For those that don't know what @Danneq and I are referring to here is the great earbud ranking list. This was originally posted at the front (first post) of this thread but it had to be removed when everyone went bananas and couldn't agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #65,403 of 75,282
For those that don't know what @Danneq and I are referring to here is the great earbud ranking list. This was originally posted at the front (first post) of this thread but it had to be removed when everyone went bananas and couldn't agree to disagree.
I can see that as being a (potential) problem. Rarely do people agree on anything, let alone something as subjective as head gear.

I remember making more than a few people angry on the Timeless thread simply because they thought they were the best thing they had ever heard, and even were talking about selling all of their other head gear, and not only did I not agree, but listed some of shortcomings that kept them from being giant killers (while still maintaining that they were still very good).

The point is that people will defend their purchases to their dying breath (over exaggeration of course) regardless of rationality, or sometimes even facts. :)

Don't get me wrong, I have been a tad guilty of this also, though usually on the forums I try and (at least appear to) keep an open mind about subjectivity. I don't always get it right, but most times I am forgiven anyhow.

But thanks for sharing that, I don't think I was aware of that list.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #65,404 of 75,282
I did buy a bunch of MMCX cables before I crossed them off the list. Well, I can always use them for future earbud purchases that use MMCX...
With the way things are going, I am not even sure you need those for future purchases or not (depending on the buds you purchase of course) because the cables that have started coming with the buds as stock are pretty top notch nowadays.

But I get it, and those backups are always great to have (I wish I had a few more really good ones to have as fallbacks).

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #65,405 of 75,282
The point is that people will defend their purchases to their dying breath (over exaggeration of course) regardless of rationality, or sometimes even facts. :)

Now, imagine it’s not just your purchase decision on the line, but your whole music taste and experience and tuning skill (with DIY stuffs) :dt880smile:

I have read on this thread recently that a DIYer can custom tune earbuds to individual listener’s taste. I can’t even fathom their skill. I’m struggling to reach the sound that I like, and from testing with colleagues, I am pretty sure that even when I reach there, my buds would not work for them. At the same time, I don’t think my signature works with folks like Crinacle and his fans either. Being able to hit different targets so nicely that delights listeners is a skill that should be rewarded.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #65,406 of 75,282
I managed to download the version with ClieOS' comments on each earbud. I remember he removed that after people gave him a hard time about it ("I don't think the x earbuds sound warm!!!")

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #65,407 of 75,282
dang.. i haven't checked this thread for a few days :sweat_smile:

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #65,408 of 75,282
I have read on this thread recently that a DIYer can custom tune earbuds to individual listener’s taste.
I worked quite a bit with @FranQL so that he could figure out how to tune the ones he made for me, and I can say that he nailed it and tuned them exactly like I wanted them for the music I wanted to use them for. You are right, that takes talent/skill for sure.

Edit: Or rather, he worked with me... :)

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #65,409 of 75,282
I have not followed you at all. In the old days there used to be earbud DIY threads and people were adviced to keep DIY discussions there. Don't know if there still are any such threads, though.
Do people have to read all your comments before addressing you?

Why do I feel like I wound up in this old sketch?

No, but people would be wise to know what their talking about before speaking.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #65,410 of 75,282
No, but people would be wise to know what their talking about before speaking.

Point taken. Before I interact with anyone here I read all of their posts in this thread and create a complete profile that can be cross referenced with their activity on other Head fi threads and other forums.

It used to be a lot simpler here. And it was mainly in the sound science forum that there were arguments.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #65,411 of 75,282
Trn emx -
Fiio in trn's skin or the story that once a year and a b-brand shoots up.
Since their appearance at ali emh have attracted my attention with their great design and overall idea, conquered by the democratic price, introduced a share of doubts about the reputation of the manufacturer and the mediocre debut of the emh model.While flying and driving the most popular thought was - how long will I sell them)) The fuel to the fire of doubt added reviews on the head-fi, which then did not sit, then tinkle, no body, no bass ...
So the coveted box was taken in the delivery department and unpacking pleasantly surprised - the presence of instructions (so that in false phase not included people like me), excellent thick suede bag for headphones, soft and lightweight cable with changeable plugs, The headphones themselves executed qualitatively and accurately, ear cushions included catastrophically little (4 pcs) are dense and thin on the driver, as a gift threw a pair of ear cushions for large-sized ear plugs why the mystery. ..
Let's start with the fit - in my ears they are placed in a perfect behind-the-ear way - tight without shifts with good adherence to the canal, what actually level out the main drawback of earmolds - shift in the ear when moving; the right step was to make the transition to the sound chamber from the driver long enough.Pressure to the ear brings no usual bonuses since the fit is tight.
The sound is universal and without peaks - bass is tight as a sub as well as a midrange. No humming, attacks are fast, fades have body and volume (this is the third shells with good bass from those that I have heard - go in close company with fio EM5 and yinman600), the emphasis is on the middle, but to call them midcentrics language can not turn because the other ranges are not cut and are not unprofitable; The positioning is as if you are standing on the stage and Dolores O'Dorian (now playing Cranberries) sings into your ear, the width of the stage is average, but the depth and positioning of the stage in depth is really good. I have no complaints about the separation of instruments and detail, but in my opinion it is difficult to make headphones with beryllium dusting, which will not have a good bass and resolution.)
optimal for them will be a dark source with good power - on the other impressions may differ :) for example on the aune m1 they do not sound as amazing as the cayin n3pro.recommend to anyone who loves soulful vocals, guitars in the face, drive and immersion into your favorite songs! And yes,in the end,they are tight - that is, there is not 45ohm 120db, and 45om 105db as in the fio ff3, but consumers will be superfluous to know that the drivers are the same - so you'll stop buying expensive headphones, so 120db and lose your way in the guesses where so 14.2mm berillium)))

0927221724.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #65,412 of 75,282
Well, it wasn't meant to be. It was given as an endearing salutation in hopes of reminding you that we are all brothers and sister here and not your enemies (thus the Don Quixote reference). You are much younger than I so thus the usage of "little"; not everything in life has to be taken as a negative connotation or slight. Yes, I am most likely more than twice your age, so yep I would be an old man to you. No foul there as I am indeed old as dirt! I do readily admit that I am probably "silly" too especially as I am still engaging with you at all about anything at this point as you fail to see the error of your ways (your recent odd and unpleasant behavior). You have become increasingly overly defensive and arrogant which really is getting the better of you... so does incessantly tooting one's own horn in every post. Pride is one thing but damn you are laying it on too thick now. Yes, we have indeed learned a great deal from you. And yes, we do sincerely appreciate your expertise which has been very informative but less and less helpful when given in such a high-handed manner. We totally get it, you are an acoustics genius and have all the books to prove it... have we now all become complete idiots in your eyes? Which would then beg the question why you even waste your time with the likes of us on this thread then? Food for thought.
I think you just got a taste of your own medicine. If it doesn’t taste pleasant, you should take a minute to reflect and you could show your age by acting wise now. You chose not to. We can go at this forever and statistically speaking…. Anyway, I’m not the one who got it going or butted in when it didn’t involve me. If you behave respectfully, so do I. If I don’t and what I said came off wrong, I immediately apologize. That’s what wisdom gives you. You can probably get there too. You just have to work on it.

I’ve literally only had issues with 2 people in this thread. You twice and @Danneq once. First time with you was the same as the second. You condescend and then say you are just playing nice. Danneq did the same and perhaps “birds Of a feather” is true. It’s your pattern. You are the only 2 that do it and I don’t take kindly to it. You do seem like an idiot in my eyes. Not because of your lack of knowledge on acoustics or psychoacoustics, it’s your lack of tact and decency that I don’t respect. This is exactly why I haven’t given you my ‘secrets’.

I’m sure none of this would happen if it was in person is the saddest part about it—and the internet in general. You’re not a horrible human or anything in the grand scheme of this. We all have our flaws. just don’t expect to punish me with impunity if you haven’t gotten that yet.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #65,413 of 75,282
Point taken. Before I interact with anyone here I read all of their posts in this thread and create a complete profile that can be cross referenced with their activity on other Head fi threads and other forums.

It used to be a lot simpler here. And it was mainly in the sound science forum that there were arguments.
Aw, did you get hurt. Get out of here with that. If you had treated me with respect from the start, nothing like this would have happened. Just respect people first.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #65,415 of 75,282
Aw, did you get hurt. Get out of here with that. If you had treated me with respect from the start, nothing like this would have happened. Just respect people first.

Nah. I just do not expect people to have knowledge of my activity on Head fi. Didn't even expect that back when I was more active. That's why I repeat myself all the time.

I said I was sorry for the way that comment was phrased. But it was not ill intentioned. It was just a passing comment.

You seriously expect people to know your post history here on Head fi before they adress you? Because that is how you act.

I have just briefly seen your name here since I returned. I don't read all posts and mainly look for ones that are about earbuds I'm interested in.
You did help me save money by crossing Smabat S20pro off my list, so I thank you for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back