Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #65,161 of 75,149
I have to admit that this forum (and threads like this) has helped me rediscover the joy of earbuds from my early Sony cassette walkman days. I'm 59 years old and of course these earbuds today are on another level.
I join with similar thanks. Thanks to this thread I have come to know good quality and cheap earbuds in my 52 years. It's been almost a year and I'm still in mild shock about it.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #65,164 of 75,149
Hey guys, I can't really stick around right now, but my Cypherus Audio Zoom Fred Pro and Cypherus Audio Black (with some custom tuning tweaks for me by H) showed up at my house today! I'm not home and I'm not sure when I will get there, but I am super excited to finally have these after hearing for months about Cypherus being some of the best there is. I'll post something about them here when I have had time to listen and have time to post!

Cheers and happy listening!

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #65,165 of 75,149
Hey guys, I can't really stick around right now, but my Cypherus Audio Zoom Fred Pro and Cypherus Audio Black (with some custom tuning tweaks for me by H) showed up at my house today! I'm not home and I'm not sure when I will get there, but I am super excited to finally have these after hearing for months about Cypherus being some of the best there is. I'll post something about them here when I have had time to listen and have time to post!

Cool! I used to be (and perhaps still am?) the resident Cypherus fan boy here, but I haven't heard Zoomfred pro. I bought Zoomfred from Herry personally when we met in Tokyo in 2018 (I think?) and soon after that he released the pro version. Sort of felt happy with the vanilla version so I never got the pro version. He still makes Black edition?
Let us know how you like them!

Personally I'm waiting for my pair of TRN EMX to arrive. When it does, I plan to first let it burn for 2 days or around 50 hours. Then try different foams to see which one works best.

Have started to become curious about DQSM PD21, but besides one seller on Aliexpress I cannot find it anywhere except on DQSM:s store on Taobao.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #65,166 of 75,149
Cool! I used to be (and perhaps still am?) the resident Cypherus fan boy here, but I haven't heard Zoomfred pro. I bought Zoomfred from Herry personally when we met in Tokyo in 2018 (I think?) and soon after that he released the pro version. Sort of felt happy with the vanilla version so I never got the pro version. He still makes Black edition?
Let us know how you like them!

Personally I'm waiting for my pair of TRN EMX to arrive. When it does, I plan to first let it burn for 2 days or around 50 hours. Then try different foams to see which one works best.

Have started to become curious about DQSM PD21, but besides one seller on Aliexpress I cannot find it anywhere except on DQSM:s store on Taobao.

I bought the Blacks used and they weren't working so I sent them back to him to be fixed and sent back when my ZF Pros were done. After talking to him about my musical preferences he recommended the ZF Pro and offered to make some tuning changes he thought I would like to the Blacks so I told him to go nuts!

BTW, I should mention, he was kind enough to offer to fix the Blacks when I explained that I bought a used pair and that I was having problems with them. Great customer support even for a secondhand buyer.

P.S. This package sat in customs at LA for over a month. i have never had that happen before. Anyone have any idea why customs would hang on to a package that long? It didn't even appear to have been opened.

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #65,167 of 75,149

9C19A8B4-B8C9-4CC6-B650-29790BBA67F9.gif

I have no idea what they are, but I’m happy for you :dt880smile:

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #65,168 of 75,149
9C19A8B4-B8C9-4CC6-B650-29790BBA67F9.gif
I have no idea what they are, but I’m happy for you :dt880smile:
LOL 😂

They're buds made by a guy named Herry in Indonesia. His company's name is Cypherus Audio. They still have a facebook page up, but his regular website appears to have been taken down. Either way, when I first started looking into buying premium earbuds Cypherus buds were mentioned to me as being some of the best you can get.

I found a use pair of Cypherus Black and contacted Herry about some questions and ended up ordering the Zoom Fred Pro, which were his recommendation for my sound sig preferences, and sending the Blacks to him to fix and apply some updated tuning voodoo to. I can't wait to try them out!

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #65,169 of 75,149
LOL 😂

They're buds made by a guy named Herry in Indonesia. His company's name is Cypherus Audio. They still have a facebook page up, but his regular website appears to have been taken down. Either way, when I first started looking into buying premium earbuds Cypherus buds were mentioned to me as being some of the best you can get.

I found a use pair of Cypherus Black and contacted Herry about some questions and ended up ordering the Zoom Fred Pro, which were his recommendation for my sound sig preferences, and sending the Blacks to him to fix and apply some updated tuning voodoo to. I can't wait to try them out!

Interesting. Please do share some photos, especially at the back if there are some new form of venting. I'm always curious to see how far people can push the MX500 shells.

Sep 22, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #65,170 of 75,149
I bought the Blacks used and they weren't working so I sent them back to him to be fixed and sent back when my ZF Pros were done. After talking to him about my musical preferences he recommended the ZF Pro and offered to make some tuning changes he thought I would like to the Blacks so I told him to go nuts!

BTW, I should mention, he was kind enough to offer to fix the Blacks when I explained that I bought a used pair and that I was having problems with them. Great customer support even for a secondhand buyer.

P.S. This package sat in customs at LA for over a month. i have never had that happen before. Anyone have any idea why customs would hang on to a package that long? It didn't even appear to have been opened.
It is usually due to taxes paid (or not) or the declared value of the item if they haven't opened it. Or even sometimes if there is a mistake in the declaration papers signed by the shipper. Or it could have simply gotten lost for a while. :) I had the same issue when sending something to @FranQL and it was held up for a very long time.

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #65,172 of 75,149
Are there any good PK shell buds these days?

Kind of regretting giving away my Yuins a few years ago. 😅
Blur PK32: they are a bit dark as in they have very little pinna gain, but have great extension on both ends and a detailed sound quality. Not a lot of soundstage however.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #65,174 of 75,149
Are there any good PK shell buds these days?

Kind of regretting giving away my Yuins a few years ago. 😅

My favorite is Simphonio Dragon 2+. There's a high impedance successor, Simphonio Dragon 3, that is supposed to be better but also more expensive. I think SWD2+ is still around $300 and SWD3 is $100 more.
Shozy BK was great a few years ago and must still be good. It should be around $150.
DQSM Turandot uses a PK type shell but in a metal alloy, so it's much heavier than plastic shells. Turandot can be a bit limited with which genres it works with. For me it works great with pop and rock, but not as great with metal. Turandot should be around $200.

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #65,175 of 75,149
I posted this in the RU6 thread and just wanted to also share here.

I have been listening to the Longyao Yinman 龙谣音曼 2.0 600Ω Limited Edition>RU6 (NOS High gain Vol 60)>PC (Win 11)>Roon. Just sublime! The analogue nature of the RU6 really brings to life the Yinman 600. The music is so lifelike and engaging. The star of the show is the bass of course. So textured and deep. Can't imagine this is sound coming from an earbud! I am in love!

If you have a RU6 and the Yinman and have not tried them as a pairing, please do. To me it has great synergy. The bass is lovely and textured and the mids are just sweetened up! It really reminds me of the bird! Just amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back