Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 12, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #64,696 of 75,270
It's all good bro, we gotcha'. :)

To make it easier, and you don't have to actually type it the long way, the button allows you to do the same thing that I typed, but just by clicking a button, and filling in the text you want show as the title. Then you simply need to type your message, or insert the picture. There is also a "preview" button at the top right to check to make sure it works right.

Here is a picture of the spoiler button:

HeadFiReplyBox.jpg
HeadFiReplyBox2.PNG

I was right about which button it was, but it didn't do anything when I tried to use it. I'm on mobile right now. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #64,697 of 75,270
I was right about which button it was, but it didn't do anything when I tried to use it. I'm on mobile right now. Maybe that has something to do with it?
It might be the browser you are using (or rather a setting). I use it on mobile once in a while, and it works fine for me.

If you cannot get it to work, and have to type the tags out, then this guide should work for you. BB Code is super simple to use and there are things you can do with it, that DON'T have buttons on here (most people probably don't realize). It does appear that some BB Code has been disabled on this site though.

It really is just a matter of putting the command in between [command] and then a [/command] to close the code command.

Like this to make text bold:
Code:
Here is some [b]Bold text[/b].

which looks like this live:

Here is some Bold text.

Hopefully that is helpful?!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #64,698 of 75,270
I have a new favourite TGXEar earbud.. the Alpha.
We had a recent mini-meet with 4 headfi’ers including @tgx78 and he brought over an Alpha for me to try out. It was too loud at the meet up to listen but when I got home it wasn’t but a ,after of minutes before I pm’ed “sold”.

I‘ve been away from iems for a few months now listening to my headphones but mostly the Serratus and Tantalus…. At the meet I was surprised to discover that I don’t really like iems as much anymore. Timbre is the most important element to me, having instruments sound realistic. I’ve been playing instruments all my life as has @tgx78 so I think his tuning matches my ear perfectly.
I got to hear again some totl iems including the Jewel, XE6, EXT, Supermoon, among others.. some did some amazing things, better technically than my earbuds but on the whole even the $5k Jewel did not sound as natural. Maybe it’s due to isolation, or the lack of it in earbuds.. Also very much due to my preferences as the Supermoon had the tightest cleanest bass I’ve heard but with more impact than any BA bass. All other bass sounded wooly and slow.. But the rest of the freqs. didn’t sound as natural as my earbuds.

Anyway, onto the Alpha. To my ears it’s a warmish iem with an underlying sparkle or treble definition that keeps it clean sounding. It has more depth of stage than the Serratus which is in part to what I hear as a maybe more recessed midrange.

On a song like this, it’s a tough call which I prefer as each seems to have a different focus. The Serratus is a bit cleaner, maybe quicker with more emphasis on the attack of the tones.

On this song though is where the Alpha pulls ahead. There is more air around the violin that gives a full sense of the instrument. Piano overtones don’t ring as sharply and hang in the air a bit longer.

This more “hardened“ character of the Serratus translates across the board for me with a cleaner bass and mid bass, a sharper treble and more forward mids. The Alpha is a bit softer but has amazing air and staging along with a more realistic timbre.
I think music library choices would dictate preference. For solo instruments that I listen to, like piano and lute and baroque music where I like to hear the instruments, I’d reach for the Alpha every time. The Serratus though sounds great with more electronic, ambient music and some of my classical crossover.

Overall, two extremely capable earbuds. Looking forward to the next models..

Great impressions, thanks! I'm also loving "Thrown", so thanks for the new music :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #64,699 of 75,270
551F9D07-D198-4D45-ACE9-B4E2631EC1F5.jpeg

Routine: practice, compare to recording of Perlman, cry, repeat :dt880smile:

What buds do you use today, folks?

I caught Perlman in recital just before the pandemic. One of the highlights of my concert / recital attending. Ranked right up there with my attendance of Nathan Milstein's last (or second to last?) performance before he passed on. Fantastic picture, by the way!

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #64,700 of 75,270
It might be the browser you are using (or rather a setting). I use it on mobile once in a while, and it works fine for me.

If you cannot get it to work, and have to type the tags out, then this guide should work for you. BB Code is super simple to use and there are things you can do with it, that DON'T have buttons on here (most people probably don't realize). It does appear that some BB Code has been disabled on this site though.

It really is just a matter of putting the command in between [command] and then a [/command] to close the code command.

Like this to make text bold:
Code:
Here is some [b]Bold text[/b].

which looks like this live:

Here is some Bold text.

Hopefully that is helpful?!

Awesome! Thanks for the info and the link. I didn't know about the BB code stuff.

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #64,701 of 75,270
I caught Perlman in recital just before the pandemic. One of the highlights of my concert / recital attending. Ranked right up there with my attendance of Nathan Milstein's last (or second to last?) performance before he passed on. Fantastic picture, by the way!
@o0genesis0o Yes, I meant to also comment on this as being great picture!

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #64,702 of 75,270
Awesome! Thanks for the info and the link. I didn't know about the BB code stuff.
Your welcome! :)

Yeah, normally I just type it out unless it is something pretty complicated. It is actually easier for me so I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse.
“You get used to it. I dont even see the code anymore, all I see is blonde, redhead, brunette,..”
- Cipher, The Matrix

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #64,703 of 75,270
My new pink dot builds, one with metal mesh + wood shell and one with plastic faceplates + mmcx MX500 shell.
20220912_210937.jpg

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #64,706 of 75,270
My Tantalus arrived today from Jim. 😀

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #64,707 of 75,270
My Tantalus are arriving this week. Quite excited
Very soon...
My Tantalus arrived today from Jim. 😀
Me too!

I am honestly god smacked at the moment about how good these buds sound! I have been really quite surprised by what @tgx78, @RikudouGoku, and @FranQL have accomplished both tuning and quality building wise. We need to come up with a new term as "DIY" simply doesn't work for these gents at all! Doesn't even come close!

This 500ΩBery driver scales like mad! Quite remarkably I am finding that the Tantalus is ever so slightly harder to drive than my Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω which I believe has a sensitivity around 90-91dB/mW! So the combined driver sensitivity and acoustic damping rating of the Tantalus is probably around 89-90dB/mW, incredible! Well it has been confirmed by @drewbadour that the Yinman driver has a sensitivity of 87dB/mW so my Tantalus MMCX are probably 85-86dB/mW, damn...

I will report more soon.

Earbuds: tgxear Tantalus MMCX; 500Ω
Adapter: tgxear 4-PIN XLR to 4.4TRRRS (4.4MM PENTACONN)
TGXEAR TANTALUS MMCX 500 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #64,708 of 75,270
Very soon...

Me too!

I am honestly god smacked at the moment about how good these buds sound! I have been really quite surprised by what @tgx78, @RikudouGoku, and @FranQL have accomplished tuning and building wise. We need to come up with a new term as "DIY" simply doesn't work for these gents at all! Doesn't even come close!

This 500ΩBery driver scales like mad! Quite remarkably I am finding that the Tantalus is ever so slightly harder to drive than my Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω which I believe has a sensitivity around 90-91dB/mW! So the combined driver sensitivity and acoustic damping rating of the Tantalus is probably around 89-90dB/mW, incredible!

I will report more soon.

Beautiful buds for a beautiful amp! Bet its great to watch them scale :D.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #64,709 of 75,270
Very soon...

Me too!

I am honestly god smacked at the moment about how good these buds sound! I have been really quite surprised by what @tgx78, @RikudouGoku, and @FranQL have accomplished both tuning and quality building wise. We need to come up with a new term as "DIY" simply doesn't work for these gents at all! Doesn't even come close!

This 500ΩBery driver scales like mad! Quite remarkably I am finding that the Tantalus is ever so slightly harder to drive than my Longyao-Yinman 2.0 600 LE; 600Ω which I believe has a sensitivity around 90-91dB/mW! So the combined driver sensitivity and acoustic damping rating of the Tantalus is probably around 89-90dB/mW, incredible!

I will report more soon.

Thos ARE indeed very nice looking!

The word "Custom" fits well for motorcycles when there is a very competent bike maker that does DIY stuff.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #64,710 of 75,270
Very soon...

Me too!

I will report more soon.

I only listened briefly but these have a fantastic timbre and soundstage. They are way harder to drive than my PXVV, probably I will need drive them with Amp12 from the DX320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back