Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 27, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #63,961 of 75,235
Funny that you mentioned, I'm listening to OLA again before tearing it down later when my filters arrive. Let's see if I squeeze some more bass out of that driver. I found that the amount of bass is no different between OLA and FF3, but the punch and slam sensation is way better on FF3.

The EarPods sound like broken IEMs to me :dt880smile: They have low treble extension, low bass, and because of how they fit, their soundstage is not larger than IEM either. I'll grab an EarPods shell with MMCX after completing the first two buds that I ordered. Let's see if we can squeeze anything good out of the good old EarPods shell.
I liked Earpods shell as well, for the comfort. In fact I did transplant a set of 2pin + drivers to this shell, but resulting a lackluster experience. I'd suggest using rather warm sounding drivers with plenty of isolation materials inside the shell.

Aug 27, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #63,962 of 75,235
I liked Earpods shell as well, for the comfort. In fact I did transplant a set of 2pin + drivers to this shell, but resulting a lackluster experience. I'd suggest using rather warm sounding drivers with plenty of isolation materials inside the shell.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. What are the benefits of adding isolation materials inside the shell? I was planning to get drivers with the most high frequency energy and resolution that I can find (counter the treble loss of the shell design), and perhaps drill holes to increase the back venting (counter the lack of bass of the driver). Again, everything I say is still theoretical at this moment, as I have not built any ear buds yet :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #63,963 of 75,235
I listened to my wife’s EarPods just 2 days ago for a sanity check. My conclusion is that they sound fairly okay on pretty much everything, but no bass, treble, or soundstage. Comfort is fantastic, but sound is just inoffensive.

Aug 27, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #63,964 of 75,235
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. What are the benefits of adding isolation materials inside the shell? I was planning to get drivers with the most high frequency energy and resolution that I can find (counter the treble loss of the shell design), and perhaps drill holes to increase the back venting (counter the lack of bass of the driver). Again, everything I say is still theoretical at this moment, as I have not built any ear buds yet :ksc75smile:
Well, for one adding isolation materials will change the technicalities, but more importantly, it helps tackle resonance. Keep in mind I am by no means an expert here, and others like all the DIYers will be able to answer more fully I would imagine. This is just my take on the matter. :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #63,965 of 75,235
LOL

I didn't know your nickname was "Fortune Cookie!" That's a cute one!

@christianfps Part of the reason the IEMs sound off is that after you spend a solid length of time (the length is different from person to person) listening to a particular transducer your brain adjusts what it expects to hear as it's normal or preferred presentation of the sonic spectrum. When you change back to a previously used setup it will often sound off because of the differences in it's presentation versus the setup you just acclimated to. This is the principal that the idea of "brain burn in" is based around and it's why you'll often see people say that you need to spend at least a few days with a new transducer before you decide whether or not you like it to allow your brain to adjust.

I have found that if you change the transducers you use often (think daily or more often) this will impact you less, but, in my experience, it never goes away completely. If you've read my "first impressions" posts you'll notice that i mention that I plan on doing several more sessions with a given pair of buds before I make up my mind about them. This is part of the reason why. It's crazy how far our brains' perspectives on normal/preferred sounds can change without us even knowing it's happening, right?

Ah yes that's a common problem when doing A/B testing with different transducers in a short span of time. The brain gets confused and uses the last IEM/earbud you just heard as a "reference point".

I realized a good way to "reset" the brain, is to use a neutralish transducer as a "palette cleanser" to go back to a sort of baseline in between comparisons. Other option is to let the ears rest for a few days, don't listen to anything, and then do the review with a fresh set of ears, so to speak.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #63,966 of 75,235
You guys want to hear an album that sounds absolutely sick on the FF3s? Deloused in the Crematorium by The Mars Volta is just ridiculous with that huge presentation they provide. If the idea of hardcore combine with prog rock with some afrobeat, avante garde jazz, and other craziness thrown in appeals to you, you'll find it all on this album. It's an intense album for sure. Enjoy!

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #63,967 of 75,235
Ah yes that's a common problem when doing A/B testing with different transducers in a short span of time. The brain gets confused and uses the last IEM/earbud you just heard as a "reference point".

I realized a good way to "reset" the brain, is to use a neutralish transducer as a "palette cleanser" to go back to a sort of baseline in between comparisons. Other option is to let the ears rest for a few days, don't listen to anything, and then do the review with a fresh set of ears, so to speak.
I have also given up the manic rapid switching of IEM in 30 second intervals to A/B tests because of this reason. I think it is better to let the IEM settle for at least one song, and the switch, and let the other IEM settle. If one IEM is truely more resolving, for example, it would always be more resolving. If they are too close to compare, then perhaps the difference is insignificant.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #63,968 of 75,235
I have also given up the manic rapid switching of IEM in 30 second intervals to A/B tests because of this reason. I think it is better to let the IEM settle for at least one song, and the switch, and let the other IEM settle. If one IEM is truely more resolving, for example, it would always be more resolving. If they are too close to compare, then perhaps the difference is insignificant.
It is my thought that unless you are switching between known (or already owned) head gear, you should really give them a good couple of weeks of exclusive use to get all there is to get out of a set. Just my $.02 though. :)

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #63,969 of 75,235
It is my thought that unless you are switching between known (or already owned) head gear, you should really give them a good couple of weeks of exclusive use to get all there is to get out of a set. Just my $.02 though. :)
Of course, my routine is using the gear as usual, just casually listening for a while, before starting the critical listening for ranking. During the casual listening, I am usually able to form an opinion about the ranking already, but A/B tests sometime surprise me. I am usually more generous in rating without A/B testing. Of course, all of these “reviews” are just subjective rambling, but if I can ensure the consistency between my scores, it would be better.

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #63,970 of 75,235
I listened to my wife’s EarPods just 2 days ago for a sanity check. My conclusion is that they sound fairly okay on pretty much everything, but no bass, treble, or soundstage. Comfort is fantastic, but sound is just inoffensive.
I use my EarPods with full foams (thinner is better) from normal flathead earbuds and imaging, bass and mids get much better, but need some EQ to add treble extension, IMHO. This way I almost always prefer them to my other similarly priced buds.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #63,971 of 75,235
I use my EarPods with full foams (thinner is better) from normal flathead earbuds and imaging, bass and mids get much better, but need some EQ to add treble extension, IMHO. This way I almost always prefer them to my other similarly priced buds.
Do they get more bass that way? I’ve never heard EarPods with foams. I know the Google buds released on 2017 do! It also makes their pinna gain more neutral.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #63,972 of 75,235
I use half in ear with full foams too. Without them it sounds thin and a bit bright for podcast.

I wish they will make an earbuds shaped tws that sounds at least as good as qian39 for podcast and audiobook.

No company seems interested to experiment with other form than airpods except maybe the interestingly shaped Sony original linkbuds

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #63,974 of 75,235
Do they get more bass that way? I’ve never heard EarPods with foams. I know the Google buds released on 2017 do! It also makes their pinna gain more neutral.
Mostly mid-bass I have to say, maybe even a bit too much, but they sounds thin and lifeless without foams as I can't get a decent fit.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #63,975 of 75,235
You guys want to hear an album that sounds absolutely sick on the FF3s? Deloused in the Crematorium by The Mars Volta is just ridiculous with that huge presentation they provide. If the idea of hardcore combine with prog rock with some afrobeat, avante garde jazz, and other craziness thrown in appeals to you, you'll find it all on this album. It's an intense album for sure. Enjoy!
I love that album!! Does that mean the FF3’s sound great with their album Frances The Mute as well? 😃

I’m waiting for the FF5’s for now as to what that earbud would sound like but yeah, the FF3’s have got me intrigued.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back