Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #62,596 of 75,342
I'll bet they do?! It has been much the same with me, going from lesser power to more power. I think, now that I am used to them, I might do some foam "rolling". Gonna' try the Heigi foams next and see how that goes. I think the stock foams are thin, unless I miss my guess.

I really didn't think much of the cable in the beginning, but I have to say it has grown on me. That's not to say I like it any better, but it has just never gotten in the way or drawn adverse attention (like tangling, and etc...). It stays in the background (which makes it pretty good after all). :)

I'm certainly surprised at just HOW good they still sound out of very little power. That's not to say that I won't be feeding these monsters some power, they just crave it... LOL

Edit: BTW! Off topic a bit, but looking at your gear, you have the CRA. You really SHOULD try the CRA+. They are just that much different than the CRA, while still having the CRA DNA (though I still like the OG CRA in a lot of situations). /end off topic :thumbsup:
+1 on the cable. At first my feeling was "meh" but it is not too bad. It is a little microphonic though so wish I could cable roll. The other thing is that my right ear aches a little with it after a few hours of use but nothing too bad.

Thanks for the rec on the CRA+. Have just purchased!
Thanks again for the rec @samandhi. These have just landed!

IMG_1677.jpg

These do share some of the CCA OG signature but these are certainly much more fun! Still can't believe how much these cost!

Anyway, back to the regular programming!

Edit: Someone once described these as a guilty pleasure. I now know what he means!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #62,597 of 75,342
A lot of our lists and rankings are really about what was/is available... especially currently. My earbud god-tier list, when I maintained it, was always reflective of what was available and could be purchased in a reasonable time period. So many models appeared and disappeared on that particular list as time went by.

Cypherus Audio (CAX)

Herry at Cypherus Audio has been rather inactive the past few years, besides the few mods he made during the pandemic, he has been busy with other business and family life. I am currently working with him; commissioning a special custom earbud project. Very excited to say the least. Will keep all posted once it starts to move along which will take some time... again due to his busy life at the moment.
A lot of our lists and rankings are really about what was/is available... especially currently. My earbud god-tier list, when I maintained it, was always reflective of what was available and could be purchased in a reasonable time period. So many models appeared and disappeared on that particular list as time went by.

Cypherus Audio (CAX)

Herry at Cypherus Audio has been rather inactive the past few years, besides the few mods he made during the pandemic, he has been busy with other business and family life. I am currently working with him; commissioning a special custom earbud project. Very excited to say the least. Will keep all posted once it starts to move along which will take some time... again due to his busy life at the moment.
Hi woody i got some of herry earbuds: Cf1 one of the few prototype with slight tuning difference. Cf2 one of the earliest batch that i order with more detail. Mochi is a one of model that is the replacement for Qfred. Zf the one i got is a slight variation that become the zf pro. I have tried before the original red dragon that ends up with danneq and a few red dragon with all diff tuning.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #62,598 of 75,342
Thanks again for the rec @samandhi. These have just landed!

These do share some of the CCA OG signature but these are certainly much more fun! Still can't believe how much these cost!

Anyway, back to the regular programming!

Edit: Someone once described these as a guilty pleasure. I now know what he means!
Irony = I just slept in mine last night; they really are perfect for wearing at night (even for side sleeping).

Yeah, when I'm in the mood, I no longer feel guilty for being a "part-time" bass-head. :)

Still, these should make some companies feel ashamed of themselves for charging as much as they do. Which isn't to say that they are better than everything out there (by no means), but for the price you simply can't beat them. Congratz on your new shiny! :)

Edit: Love the cable btw!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #62,599 of 75,342
@o0genesis0o this is what I’m talking about. FiiO’s graphing conditions state without foams so I knew that with foams it would look much better—more bass, less pinna gain. When you’ve been into buds for a while, this is intuitively obvious, but one visual might be needed to break that barrier. Hopefully this graph will be an “aha! Eureka!” moment for the bud people. Earbuds are far less mysterious than people think. It’s just so much easier to do IEM measurements because the rig is far more available and the folks who have rigs capable of measuring buds are primarily interested in cans. There’s just not a lot of interest in buds and thus anyone who wants a lot of traffic to their site doesn’t waste their time and space with buds.
I’m glad that FiiO is still doing this work in spite of the fact that it won’t be a big money make for them. Hopefully it’s at least profitable so they don’t decide to scrap it. It’s definitely not going to compete with the IEMs. I personally see the FF3 and FF5 as restitution for discontinuing the e12 MB and A5.

82E6DA0E-B6CB-4477-93F1-9EDB23E83AE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #62,600 of 75,342
@o0genesis0o this is what I’m talking about. FiiO’s graphing conditions state without foams so I knew that with foams it would look much better—more bass, less pinna gain. When you’ve been into buds for a while, this is intuitively obvious, but one visual might be needed to break that barrier. Hopefully this graph will be an “aha! Eureka!” moment for the bud people. Earbuds are far less mysterious than people think. It’s just so much easier to do IEM measurements because the rig is far more available and the folks who have rigs capable of measuring buds are primarily interested in cans. There’s just not a lot of interest in buds and thus anyone who wants a lot of traffic to their site doesn’t waste their time and space with buds.
I’m glad that FiiO is still doing this work in spite of the fact that it won’t be a big money make for them. Hopefully it’s at least profitable so they don’t decide to scrap it. It’s definitely not going to compete with the IEMs. I personally see the FF3 and FF5 as restitution for discontinuing the e12 MB and A5.

82E6DA0E-B6CB-4477-93F1-9EDB23E83AE3.jpeg
That is a pretty sizable difference than without foams...

P.S. You REALLY miss your MB don't you? hehe Why don't you have it anymore?

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #62,601 of 75,342

FF3 will be discontinued as well :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #62,605 of 75,342
Hi, I am looking for an upgrade for my k's LBBS

• budget less than 250 usd
  • source Questyle M15 & Apogee Groove
  • preferred connection Balanced
  • listening level & session length 1 hours or more, with 10 break in between
  • listening environment anywhere
  • preferred sound signature i (neutral like lbbs, chaconne)
  • preferred sound signature ii neutral like lbbs or chaconne
  • any special need and/or consideration must be mmcx connection. I have the chaconne before, while it pains me to have sold it before due to money issue, I would like earbuds that have mmcx connection to ensure longevity of my earbuds.
My initial recommendation is EBX21 and DQSM PD21, but happy to listen for other recommendation. Thanks, appreciate in advance!

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #62,606 of 75,342
That is a pretty sizable difference than without foams...

P.S. You REALLY miss your MB don't you? hehe Why don't you have it anymore?
I still have it, I just dread the day I can’t buy a new battery for it. It’s my favorite portable amp ever made. I just wish they would bring it back or the A5. They are rock solid, powerful, great sounding amps and small. The e12 is just a bit more powerful and colorful and seems to handle high impedance cans better. The A5 is one of the most neutral, black background, quietest amps ever built, portable or otherwise.
FF3 will be discontinued as well :wink:

Maybe it already is? I got it (this week) for $10 cheaper than I have seen it recently $99.
you guys are just trying to give me a coronary. LOL. In all seriousness, it will be continued some day, but I don’t think it’s going to be replaced by something less potent. With the way portable transducers have been going, the future looks bright.

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #62,607 of 75,342
I still have it, I just dread the day I can’t buy a new battery for it. It’s my favorite portable amp ever made. I just wish they would bring it back or the A5. They are rock solid, powerful, great sounding amps and small. The e12 is just a bit more powerful and colorful and seems to handle high impedance cans better. The A5 is one of the most neutral, black background, quietest amps ever built, portable or otherwise.

you guys are just trying to give me a coronary. LOL. In all seriousness, it will be continued some day, but I don’t think it’s going to be replaced by something less potent. With the way portable transducers have been going, the future looks bright.
Well, I never got the chance to listen to it, but always heard good things about it. The two that I have (E17, and E17K) are great as long as you don't need too much power. E17 being the warmer of the two. Though they DO sound amazing for what they are/cost.

No, it probably won't be replaced by crap, I agree. I have never known FiiO to (purposely) discontinue something for something that isn't at least little step up, if not bigger. Though they HAVE been known to discontinue something before it is done baking (if you will). The OG X5 and X3II for example (the two that I bought).

In the meantime, I have a lot of stuff to evaluate. I just got the Focal Elegia a couple weeks ago, I just ordered the Raptgo Hook-X (been on the fence with these for a long time, but now that the wife is out of town, she can't say no lol), a set of FiiO FF3 buds, and our good friend @FranQL has made me a(n) (absolutely gorgeous) set of custom earbuds (I'm so excited about these that I could almost p*** myself like a lil' puppy :)).

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #62,608 of 75,342
Well, I never got the chance to listen to it, but always heard good things about it. The two that I have (E17, and E17K) are great as long as you don't need too much power. E17 being the warmer of the two. Though they DO sound amazing for what they are/cost.

No, it probably won't be replaced by crap, I agree. I have never known FiiO to (purposely) discontinue something for something that isn't at least little step up, if not bigger. Though they HAVE been known to discontinue something before it is done baking (if you will). The OG X5 and X3II for example (the two that I bought).

In the meantime, I have a lot of stuff to evaluate. I just got the Focal Elegia a couple weeks ago, I just ordered the Raptgo Hook-X (been on the fence with these for a long time, but now that the wife is out of town, she can't say no lol), a set of FiiO FF3 buds, and our good friend @FranQL has made me a(n) (absolutely gorgeous) set of custom earbuds (I'm so excited about these that I could almost p*** myself like a lil' puppy :)).
Lucky man brother! Your going to have a great week.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #62,609 of 75,342
just ordered the Raptgo Hook-X

Looking forward for your impressions. The S12 (planar) has been outstanding in terms of technical performance, but the tuning was quite poor (too aggressive, fixable by taping the nozzle and closing the back vents). If Shuoer tunes this IEM milder, puts it in a fancier shell, and slap a kilobuck price tag on it, I believe that audiophile folks would talk about it like “endgame”.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #62,610 of 75,342
Lucky man brother! Your going to have a great week.
Thank you, brother! I believe you are right, though just not THIS week... :thumbsup:

The FF3 should be here Sept 5th (according to tracking). The Hook-X will be here this Friday, and I don't really know when the custom buds will be here (though, those are the ones I am wanting to hear the most). Though I have been burning in my Focals (OMG how awesome they are BTW). Bought some custom Dekoni Stelia lambskin pads for them, and (almost literally) they are two different sets between the stock pads and those.

I will be sure to post some pics of @FranQL's artwork when they arrive (and they ARE indeed fantastic looking). I can't thank him enough! What a wonderful human being he is (OK, enough sappy crap)... :yum:
Looking forward for your impressions. The S12 (planar) has been outstanding in terms of technical performance, but the tuning was quite poor (too aggressive, fixable by taping the nozzle and closing the back vents). If Shuoer tunes this IEM milder, puts it in a fancier shell, and slap a kilobuck price tag on it, I believe that audiophile folks would talk about it like “endgame”.
If this one is as good as they say it is, then I may be at end game for planar IEMs. I currently have the Tinhifi P1, which I DO love but are not end game, and the 7Hz Timeless which are great, but again, not quite there.

I almost went for the S12 right after it came out, but I decided to wait a while and see if there was anything new around the corner. And sure enough there were (and quite a few too), but then is when I saw the Tinhifi P1 Max and the Hook-X. Both looked like really great fits for me but since I already have the P1 (OG), I thought I would go with the more unique of the two. We shall see.. :smile:

In case you can't tell I am an ortho DD nut (I also have two sets of planar headphones). This is why I went googoo when @ValSuki talked about wanting to do planar earbuds (the idea STILL makes me smile BTW). And although I know it will be difficult, I still hold out hope that he can do it someday. :)

Edit: If the Hook-X are indeed great, I may sell off my Timeless (though I would never part with my P1s).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back