Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #62,491 of 75,272

Trying out the SMABAT 150ohm driver and it sounds quite interesting on mx500. A bit warmer sounding than I anticipated.

That shell looks cool. Is that a custom back vent?

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #62,493 of 75,272
budget: ~ $500
source: AMP/DAC
preferred connection: any
listening level & session length: low and around 4h ~ 8h day
listening environment: home office
preferred music genre: indie, rock, folk, classic
preferred shell and foam-cushion type: standard mx500
preferred sound signature: flat like HD600
preferred sound signature: a bit v like Arya
preferred brand: any
any special need and/or consideration: I prefer mmcx, but it's not imperative

I forgot to mention that sound stage is really important. My Zoomfred is awesome in terms of sound stage.
In that case, none of the ones I suggested will do for you. The Yincrow RW2000 and Yinman 2.0 600 fit most categories except the shell type and V signature but are fairly flat across the board like the HD600 (though the Yinman are better than the Yincrow at low volume listening). The rest will not do well for your preferred genre because of the boosted pina gain and shell type (those are more W shaped anyhow).

Not having owned a set that uses the MX500 shell, I'm afraid I can't make any suggestions beyond those I have already. Apologies! Someone here will come up with a great one, I am sure. The people here are super helpful... :)

On the other hand, you could take a look at @WoodyLuvr's (no longer updated) god-tier level earbuds list to get you started on jumping back down the rabbit hole.... :thumbsup:

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #62,494 of 75,272
Hi again everyone. Could EM5 compete with FF3?

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #62,495 of 75,272
I don't think there are a ton of people here that have heard both, but you could check out this post from @mt877 regarding the FF3 and the EM5.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #62,496 of 75,272
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #62,498 of 75,272
In that case, none of the ones I suggested will do for you. The Yincrow RW2000 and Yinman 2.0 600 fit most categories except the shell type and V signature but are fairly flat across the board like the HD600 (though the Yinman are better than the Yincrow at low volume listening). The rest will not do well for your preferred genre because of the boosted pina gain and shell type (those are more W shaped anyhow).

Not having owned a set that uses the MX500 shell, I'm afraid I can't make any suggestions beyond those I have already. Apologies! Someone here will come up with a great one, I am sure. The people here are super helpful... :)

On the other hand, you could take a look at @WoodyLuvr's (no longer updated) god-tier level earbuds list to get you started on jumping back down the rabbit hole.... :thumbsup:
A bit strange how cypherus audio was not mentioned in any list. Henry makes awesome earbus. He tunes each one, with the signature that you want. Thank you very much. I already have the Yinman and Yincrow but my zoomfred is in another level.

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #62,500 of 75,272
budget: ~ $500
source: AMP/DAC
preferred connection: any
listening level & session length: low and around 4h ~ 8h day
listening environment: home office
preferred music genre: indie, rock, folk, classic
preferred shell and foam-cushion type: standard mx500
preferred sound signature: flat like HD600
preferred sound signature: a bit v like Arya
preferred brand: any
any special need and/or consideration: I prefer mmcx, but it's not imperative

I forgot to mention that sound stage is really important. My Zoomfred is awesome in terms of sound stage.

Welcome back
Your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back
To that same old place that you laughed about

Well, the names have (not) all changed
Since you hung around
But those dreams have remained
And they've turned around

For those who have no idea what I am on about...

Welcome back @Marcos Fontana! Besides the excellent recommendations that @samandhi gave you these days if you are after a god-tier in MX500 shell you should seriously consider a model from one of the following custom makers that are all very well regarded... I adore my RikuBuds Berserker 1 and I am waiting for my highly regarded tgxear Tantalus MMCX to arrive.

TGXEAR made by @tgx78

And Blur (more info here) is still around as well and now on 4th Generation tuning.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #62,501 of 75,272
A bit strange how cypherus audio was not mentioned in any list. Henry makes awesome earbus. He tunes each one, with the signature that you want. Thank you very much. I already have the Yinman and Yincrow but my zoomfred is in another level.
A lot of our lists and rankings are really about what was/is available... especially currently. My earbud god-tier list, when I maintained it, was always reflective of what was available and could be purchased in a reasonable time period. So many models appeared and disappeared on that particular list as time went by.

Cypherus Audio (CAX)

Herry at Cypherus Audio has been rather inactive the past few years, besides the few mods he made during the pandemic, he has been busy with other business and family life. I am currently working with him; commissioning a special custom earbud project. Very excited to say the least. Will keep all posted once it starts to move along which will take some time... again due to his busy life at the moment.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #62,502 of 75,272
Since objective measurements seem extremely unreliable when it comes to flatheads, I'd like to gather people's subjective impressions to get a better idea of how technical their earbuds sound.

• So my simple go-to treble detail/microdynamics test is the percussion playing at 1:14-1:26 of Night Club Junkie by YUC'e. On TOTL-fi like the Sennheiser HD800S or Hifiman HEKv2, you get a distinct, crisp, well-articulated TSK! with a tiny bit of outwards-expanding reverb at the end. The less technical gear is, the further it tends to deviate from this.
Budget or consumer stuff like the Koss KSC75 or the Razer Opus typically goes T! or K! Midrange gear with flawed upper treble such as the Shure SRH840 often exhibits blunted attack, going TK! or TsK!

Tribrid IEMs suffering from soft, wispy treble such as the ThieAudio Clairvoyance or Moondrop Variations go Tskh. with overextended, slightly smeared-together transients. IEMs with poor treble extension such as the JVC HA-FDX1 lack the trail-off, with the strikes both starting and stopping at the center of the stage.​
  • Also, on gear with excellent bass like the Hifiman HEKv2, the bassline at 0:41-1:12 both has tactility and a distinct sine-wavey quality to it, as if you were listening to a tone generator, instead of sounding smeared and/or limp. There's also audible frequency variation, with the bassline playing at a higher frequency at 0:41-0:56 than at 0:58-1:12.

• As for imaging, I mainly use this sound test. On something like the HD800S, the piano key crossover at 0:33 is very distinct with no smearing at the center. Also, the percussion from 0:36 onward doesn't sound blobby, blurry, or smeared. Staging-wise, the piano starts playing from slightly beyond my ears horizontally, and the percussion extends slightly forward beyond my face.

I'm curious about what people are hearing in these respects with their earbud + foam pairings at their ideal position + angle.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #62,503 of 75,272
For micro details and treble resolution stuffs:

I would focus on Visiting Hours (from 14:20). For treble details, I would pay attention to the chimes. Can you hear distinct sound or a blob of high-pitched sound? Now focus on the backup vocals. Can you hear what they sing? Can you hear with nuanced or just some slightly fuzzy vocal line? Most 64 Audio IEMs have a tuning trick (TIA treble) that dips 10k and boost 15k significantly, effectively pushing the background vocal further away and sharpening them up, giving 64 Audio that unique stereo image.

Anyhow, for midrange resolution, you can pay special attention to Ed's voice. Is there nuances? There is slight fluctuation in loudness (micro-dynamic)? Do you hear more texture and detail, or just a generic vocal line? Revealing those tiny texture and details make something 4/5 in resolution to me.

Finally, pay attention to the entire mix. Can you hear all the instruments being played? With some "well-tuned" IEMs, it's nearly impossible to hear the bass played by Adam Blackstone. Can you hear the guitars on the far right of the stage?

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #62,504 of 75,272
If you already have the EM5 continue to use them, they are still a worthy set of buds. To me the main difference in the EM5 sound signature vs the FF3 is that the EM5 has an overall bass emphasis while the FF3 is much more balanced and cleaner sound profile. I'm not saying the EM5 bass bleeds into the midrange or treble, just that the bass is ever present. The FF3 does not have that constant bass veil, rather the bass extension is subtle, there is enough bass fullness so that whatever you're listening to sounds rich with good body. Having said that, the FF3 is very capable in the bass department as well. If the music track has bass slam, the FF3 won't disappoint you. FiiO did an extraordinary job in what they term their drum bass design and the tuning of the FF3 is top notch.

I'm glad I have both EM5 and FF3. If I could only keep one of them it would be the FF3. With the excellent job FiiO has done with the FF3, when the FF5 get released I'll be right there with a blind buy.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #62,505 of 75,272
For micro details and treble resolution stuffs:

I would focus on Visiting Hours (from 14:20). For treble details, I would pay attention to the chimes. Can you hear distinct sound or a blob of high-pitched sound? Now focus on the backup vocals. Can you hear what they sing? Can you hear with nuanced or just some slightly fuzzy vocal line? Most 64 Audio IEMs have a tuning trick (TIA treble) that dips 10k and boost 15k significantly, effectively pushing the background vocal further away and sharpening them up, giving 64 Audio that unique stereo image.

I wouldn’t call that a tuning trick in a sense. It’s actually just proper tuning. The Harman curve has some problems that I’ll demonstrate. That dip in most cases should be at 9kHz. you can see how the microphone measurements change hanging in the sweet spot in the stereo triangle and how that changes when in ear in this graph. 10kHz would likely suffice :wink:

003EBC56-FA0E-4621-A8F4-94C8B0F2E364.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back