Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 30, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #62,236 of 75,463
They will after a time errode/fall apart, so yes you will have to replace them from time to time. They are also a necessity for tuning just like tips on IEMs, but also for comfort too. They do add some friction (like you mentioned earlier) to help hold them in your ears better. Think of them as filters. The thicker the foams (or more dense), the less amount of treble energy that will be able to pass through, essentially making them sound more bassy with less treble.... @WoodyLuvr has a nice write-up about such things, I just can't seem to locate it again atm.

BTW! People used to jog with earbuds in, believe it or not. If you get a good fit, they tend to stay put pretty well (not as good as some good IEMs, but still pretty solid) unless you tug on the cable at all; in those cases it is probably best to use a shirt clip to keep the cable from yanking them out of your ears. Or you could wear them over-ear like an IEM and that will also help, but some buds don't sound very good like this, or won't stay at all like this.

Thanks for the explanation!

I can’t stop listening to this pair of FF3. So good.

Now I want to moar :ksc75smile:

Edit: FF3 sounds wrong when I wear it over ear. I guess it is strictly for indoor, leisure listening for now. I think I’ll use it for zoom as well. Talking with fully sealed ear canals still feels weird to me after all the years

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #62,237 of 75,463

I just brought Zen Sun Copper , Asura 3.0 Fe , FF3. Let’s see which one is the best!

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #62,238 of 75,463
Hi all,

New here! What is Zen SU? I can’t see on VE website!

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #62,239 of 75,463

Edit: FF3 sounds wrong when I wear it over ear. I guess it is strictly for indoor, leisure listening for now. I think I’ll use it for zoom as well. Talking with fully sealed ear canals still feels weird to me after all the years
bro how does ff3 sounds like

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #62,240 of 75,463
bro how does ff3 sounds like

More or less like how it graphs. Impressions with the treble foam below:

Lower midrange sounds flat. The ear gain sounds very Harman (it can be shouty on some tracks, but generally correct in terms of tonality). It’s certainly not 15db ear gain like the graph, but there is a correct ear gain for sure.

Now the bass is unexpected. I expected something like ER2SE, because the graph shows flat midbass and significantly rolled off subbass. However, I hear punchy kick drum with some physical sensation in my throat, which only comes from IEMs with strong subbass. I have been jamming to some electronic music. FF3 is no E5000 in terms of bass for sure, but I am surprised at how competent it is.

Soundstage is wider and deeper than usual IEM. It’s kind of reminiscent to FD5 or E5000: upfront center image, but the rest spread out widely. I don’t hear any tuning trick to push the image back like Andromeda and U12t / Trio.

Resolution is surprisingly good. I hear resolving treble, though treble is not loud.

Again, coming from IEMs, I’m shocked by what I am hearing. I think I need more time to nitpick be critical.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #62,241 of 75,463
More or less like how it graphs. Impressions with the treble foam below:

Lower midrange sounds flat. The ear gain sounds very Harman (it can be shouty on some tracks, but generally correct in terms of tonality). It’s certainly not 15db ear gain like the graph, but there is a correct ear gain for sure.

Now the bass is unexpected. I expected something like ER2SE, because the graph shows flat midbass and significantly rolled off subbass. However, I hear punchy kick drum with some physical sensation in my throat, which only comes from IEMs with strong subbass. I have been jamming to some electronic music. FF3 is no E5000 in terms of bass for sure, but I am surprised at how competent it is.

Soundstage is wider and deeper than usual IEM. It’s kind of reminiscent to FD5 or E5000: upfront center image, but the rest spread out widely. I don’t hear any tuning trick to push the image back like Andromeda and U12t / Trio.

Resolution is surprisingly good. I hear resolving treble, though treble is not loud.

Again, coming from IEMs, I’m shocked by what I am hearing. I think I need more time to nitpick be critical.
+1

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #62,242 of 75,463
In DIY Workroom we done some nice stuff that was develop last times.
Thanks to @robar who design shells with close cooperation and prototyping of @Rary and me.
Best mods from our friends in advanced shell acoustic system.
AGC_20220729_221816989-01.jpeg
First test are very pleasing and better than MX500 shells now.
They are prototypes still under develop.
Outstanding work gents! Truly inspiring. Between your new prototype shells, @ValSuki's Valphonics Val39 shells, and the hybrid driver prototyping that @tgx78 is doing with dual-DD and planar + DD designs I think we may enter another renaissance and enlightenment period! Well done all!

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #62,243 of 75,463
@WoodyLuvr has a nice write-up about such things, I just can't seem to locate it again atm.
All About Flathead Earbud Cushions

All my links are at the very end of my F⅃ATHƎAD TIMƎ⅃INƎ under the MISCELLANEOUS section:

1659179607836.png

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #62,244 of 75,463
Hi all,

There are several special models aka editions that are available "upon request" only... so you need to ask via email (support@veclan.com) or facebook (f.veclan.com ~ facebook.com/groups/52vecn).
  • Venture Electronics 微翼音频 (VE) Zen Shining Ultra Edition; 320Ω (aka Zen SU; ~US$3K)
@FranQL just posted a pic of the VE Zen SU here

Full VE Flathead Earbuds Timeline

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #62,245 of 75,463
Jul 30, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #62,246 of 75,463
Hi all,

Zen Su is not sold on Ve Web, is mandatory to buy as combo with Defiant or being an SVIP.

Cheers.

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #62,248 of 75,463
Jul 30, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #62,249 of 75,463
On another note.. Using @tgx78 ‘s Tantalus model after about a week and a half listening to my headphones only and once again I’m amazed how perfectly they suit my tastes. It’s a bit disconcerting how good I find these as I honestly think I could sell my headphones and be perfectly happy with these. I did try the Serratus again as well and these two models trade off strengths over each other but for my music tastes it’s the Tantalus that wins out. I just can’t get over how great these sound.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #62,250 of 75,463
Update after listening to FF3 non-stop for many hours yesterday: I think I will not pursue U12t as my summit-fi to round off my IEM collection anymore.

For lounging around, the sound quality of this FF3 is suffice. Perhaps I will look at a DIY by a reviewer or the upcoming FF5 if I itch for upgrading my flat head ear phones.

Instead of U12t, I think I will get Symphonium Helios and a pair of Hifiman Arya to round off the collection.

And then I perhaps I can stop looking for the next upgrade to my collection and start reviewing in peace :ksc75smile:

I have been thinking about putting one of those new IEM planar driver into a flat head shell. Has anyone tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back