Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #60,391 of 75,296
I have a couple different set i am using. I posted a picture of the ones I am using on my Maria II a page or so back. These two are both obtainable from Aliexpress:

When I get home from work, I will try and dig up my order to send a link.
Thank you in advance :)
Maybe the right one is tight enough for the narrowest part ?
About the left one : do you think an earbud could fit inside covered with thin foam ?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #60,392 of 75,296
Scrounged through my 'junk' drawer and found various old earbuds. Only 2 of them have decent sound, one from Sony and the other one is not branded but is in a pk shell. The Sony's are more mids and treble focused while the un-branded pk ones seem balanced with nice bass, mids, treble. The foams are deteriorated, so I did my test listening with no foams.

Anyway my question is, is 18mm diameter the standard size for replacement foams for most earbuds? I got a small generic pack of 18mm foams from Amazon, but they feel like they're too thick and the fit is loose. The measured earbud diameter was 16mm (both Sony and un-branded pk). Any suggestions for properly fitting replacement foams?

EDIT: Answering my own question... I found a post in this thread about getting foams from Trig Rain store at AliExpress.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #60,393 of 75,296
I still can't drop the idea of earbuds, but for the moment I'm likely to get some iems (possibly the Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd), or the Koss KSC75, and just get on with things.

Everyone should have at least one pair of the Koss KSC75's.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #60,394 of 75,296
oops... thanks for the reminder. just ordered:

Amazon_com_Thanks_You-2.png

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #60,395 of 75,296
Thank you in advance :)
Maybe the right one is tight enough for the narrowest part ?
About the left one : do you think an earbud could fit inside covered with thin foam ?
Probably not. The idea is to put them around the bud itself (the part that fits into your concha). Both of those will do that. One is stiffer (left) and doesn't need to be stretched as much to fit, while the second one (right) is much more pliable and needs to be stretched to fit the diameter (but it does fit).

Yes, you can get both of those over foams (of course if you are careful). I have had them set up that way. Here is the link to the one on the right. The other set (left) came with these, but I have seen them on Aliexpress before.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #60,396 of 75,296
Those look like they’ll do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion @samandhi
Not sure the voltage of the iPad outpu

Thanks! Not a bass-head, either. But I'm getting the impression that I want more than I'm likely to be able to get from earbuds.
The older iPads are mostly 1v. Likely stays true with the new ones that still have a jack. Most IEMs and Buds with do just fine with it.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #60,397 of 75,296
Probably not. The idea is to put them around the bud itself (the part that fits into your concha). Both of those will do that. One is stiffer (left) and doesn't need to be stretched as much to fit, while the second one (right) is much more pliable and needs to be stretched to fit the diameter (but it does fit).

Yes, you can get both of those over foams (of course if you are careful). I have had them set up that way. Here is the link to the one on the right. The other set (left) came with these, but I have seen them on Aliexpress before.
Thank you !

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #60,398 of 75,296
@samandhi , I ordered the ear hooks you got for the Rose Maria, but they sent some crappy version of them that cannot flex at all and they are all too small to fit on the neck of the ST20.

That said, when I put my shark fins back on, the little variation from where I had them placed before has now made them better. The fit is great again. I’m going to make a ball 🧢 about it.

here is the EQ I’m sticking with and I have to say these are a new benchmark for me. It’s derived for cable over ear and a tight but comfortable fit.

Attachments

• 8DFC3AE6-9AA1-4540-82FA-F519CB4319A8.png
    8DFC3AE6-9AA1-4540-82FA-F519CB4319A8.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #60,400 of 75,296
@samandhi , I ordered the ear hooks you got for the Rose Maria, but they sent some crappy version of them that cannot flex at all and they are all too small to fit on the neck of the ST20.

That said, when I put my shark fins back on, the little variation from where I had them placed before has now made them better. The fit is great again. I’m going to make a ball 🧢 about it.

here is the EQ I’m sticking with and I have to say these are a new benchmark for me. It’s derived for cable over ear and a tight but comfortable fit.
Are these the ones you ordered? If so, it would be good to know if they have changed the product, as they fit just fine on the Maria II (unless the ST20 has a much bigger neck, I would assume they should also fit those).

Glad you got them squared away to your liking! Enjoy the music friend! :smile_cat:

On another note, I contacted Moodrop about the imbalance on my Chaconne and they told me to contact the seller I bought them from for after-sales service. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with that, but since they are located in China, I am going to have to pay a tidy sum to have them shipped, I would assume (as opposed to shipping them to the US branch of Moondrop). While I DO want them fixed, I really don't want to pay more for a situation that isn't/wasn't my responsibility to begin with (I guess I'm kinda' bull-headed in that way :)). I suppose I have until July (1 year warranty) to make the decision. Plus, I hate to be without them for so long (will probably be more than 2 months gone all said and done).

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #60,401 of 75,296
Are these the ones you ordered? If so, it would be good to know if they have changed the product, as they fit just fine on the Maria II (unless the ST20 has a much bigger neck, I would assume they should also fit those).

Glad you got them squared away to your liking! Enjoy the music friend! :smile_cat:

On another note, I contacted Moodrop about the imbalance on my Chaconne and they told me to contact the seller I bought them from for after-sales service. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with that, but since they are located in China, I am going to have to pay a tidy sum to have them shipped, I would assume (as opposed to shipping them to the US branch of Moondrop). While I DO want them fixed, I really don't want to pay more for a situation that isn't/wasn't my responsibility to begin with (I guess I'm kinda' bull-headed in that way :)). I suppose I have until July (1 year warranty) to make the decision. Plus, I hate to be without them for so long (will probably be more than 2 months gone all said and done).
I use to thought my Chaconne have a channel imbalance. Turns out I misplaced the earbuss. The ring one ia on the left while the non ring one is on the right. Weird configuration by the Moondrop

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #60,402 of 75,296

Ah, I order the wrong set. They looked similar and had a strange name, but they’re junk.

Attachments

• F9F5AE26-56E4-4183-BCA2-D0DAF36E72EF.jpeg
    F9F5AE26-56E4-4183-BCA2-D0DAF36E72EF.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #60,403 of 75,296
For pure home enjoyment, I want them. For outside stuff, hmmm...not so much :wink:

Will get 'em one day, though

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #60,404 of 75,296
Those look like they’ll do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion @samandhi

The older iPads are mostly 1v. Likely stays true with the new ones that still have a jack. Most IEMs and Buds with do just fine with it.
Thanks! I have the 9th Gen i.e basic model.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #60,405 of 75,296
Anyone has NiceHCK EB2S? How is the sound quality? Also, Does it has open back and leak sound means if I am listening something, someone can else also hear that clearly? And overall good clear sound with lots of details but not harsh? Decent bass?
Does NicehHCK EB2S leak sound from back of the earbuds or it is just design and no real hole on the back of the earphone which leaks sound? Also, how is the sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back