Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 25, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #60,287 of 75,254
hello there bud experts!
i'm trying to get back into the bud game (been away for a while) and was wondering what some of the endgame buds might be right now?
my preferred signature is neutral with a little bass boost, and i listen to mostly instrumental and pop.
right now i have the rose masya (which i like), and tried the em5 (which i didn't like).
thanks!

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #60,288 of 75,254
hello there bud experts!
i'm trying to get back into the bud game (been away for a while) and was wondering what some of the endgame buds might be right now?
my preferred signature is neutral with a little bass boost, and i listen to mostly instrumental and pop.
right now i have the rose masya (which i like), and tried the em5 (which i didn't like).
thanks!
consider yincrow-rw3000. good musical tuning, will definitely have the bass you're looking for. feels fairly balanced and engaging. the titanium shell and MMCX replaceable cable makes it more durable theoretically than the similar TOTL at the $300+ range. chaconne and bell ti/plus are also titanium but the wires are fixed and mine have failed on the bell ti plus already. i listen to mostly pop (kpop with female vocals) and the rw3000 are keepers. ive bought and returned the fiio em5 twice to make sure i didnt like them.

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #60,289 of 75,254
consider yincrow-rw3000. good musical tuning, will definitely have the bass you're looking for. feels fairly balanced and engaging. the titanium shell and MMCX replaceable cable makes it more durable theoretically than the similar TOTL at the $300+ range. chaconne and bell ti/plus are also titanium but the wires are fixed and mine have failed on the bell ti plus already. i listen to mostly pop (kpop with female vocals) and the rw3000 are keepers. ive bought and returned the fiio em5 twice to make sure i didnt like them.
thanks for the rec. i will have to check them out ^^

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #60,290 of 75,254
How deep is the bass in rw3000?

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #60,292 of 75,254
So I’m a bit ashamed to admit it, but I’m loving the ST20 pro with my EQ settings. I took off the 1 dB bass boost and it could be tweaked a little further, but it’s as balanced as any bud I’ve heard barring maybe 1. It does run out of gas on 2v, so 4v is a necessity. of course it does get loud enough on 2v, but only “just” loud enough. Now I need a cable solution and softer shark fins….

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #60,293 of 75,254
So I’m a bit ashamed to admit it, but I’m loving the ST20 pro with my EQ settings. I took off the 1 dB bass boost and it could be tweaked a little further, but it’s as balanced as any bud I’ve heard barring maybe 1. It does run out of gas on 2v, so 4v is a necessity. of course it does get loud enough on 2v, but only “just” loud enough. Now I need a cable solution and softer shark fins….

Actually if smabat came out with a V2 of the ST20 Pro which fixes the horrendous fit (but keeping the same sound), I think this set will be up there with some of the TOTL earbuds.

The fit is the achilles heel of this set. Small movements will make the earbud misalign in the ear and this warps the sound signature tremendously. I have to use this set while stationary, can't even move around the house to do housework as the buds will invariably move around in the ear.

Also, some not well versed in rolling foams and using silicone rings/fins will just give up and sell it away.

I have a feeling though that the huge shell is intentional in terms of affecting the sound (smabat's labyrinth design, which affects the subbass).

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #60,294 of 75,254
Ok...Here goes:

• source - iPad, phone, mp3 player etc. Strictly un-amped.
  • preferred connection - Single 3.5mm. Has to be straight as L-shaped likely won't work with my tank-like iPad case.
  • listening level & session length - Volume? As low as I can get away with. Session length? Depends on how good they are :wink:
  • listening environment - Anywhere/Everywhere.
  • preferred sound signature - Neutral/balanced on the whole, but with a soupçon of a smile...for fun.
  • preferred music genre - Eclectic. Mainly for music production, but if they sound good and are comfortable, they could be used for everything incl. podcasts
  • preferred shell type - My only preference would be to avoid earpod-shaped, as they give me a lot of pain in my right-ear, within ten minutes of use.
  • preferred brand - None, although it'd be really nice if it was something that could be obtained from Amazon, in Spain (I know this is unlikely)
  • budget - As little as I can get away with, at the moment. Would consider waiting-and-saving, and would certainly consider 2nd-hand
  • special need and/or consideration - With mic and remote would make it a possible all-rounder, though I'm certain this will rule-out a lot of cheaper giant-killer options. I'll take a hit on the mic/remote in deference to other more important factors. But wouldn't mind being made aware of some with in-line controls.

Ultimately, my main use-case will be for iPad music-production. Specifically, I want something balanced enough that I can trust to make destructive audio edits, while out-and-about. An example of this will be combining different sounds, then (re)sampling them into a cohesive whole, after which the original sound sources will likely be discarded. It's all done purely as a hobby (At least for the moment), and so I'm not looking for pro-level gear. Even if the budget were there (And it really isn't), I need something that can be thrown into and dragged out of a rucksack, at various points throughout a day.

I'd like to try my hand at some Hip-Hop production, at some point, but other than that I'll mainly be concentrating on Ambient music, with electronic and acoustic elements.

In terms of Ambient production, a lot of the material e.g drones, will sit at the upper bass, lower-mid/mid range, so I'd like something that isn't bloated in the upper-bass/lower-mids, so as to avoid congestion in that area. I mentioned Hip-Hop as I also want some measure of punch, if possible. But again, as long as it isn't bloated/congested.

The reason i no longer want to use iems is partly because I don't want to be putting anything that deep into my ear, anymore. But also, I want a more zoomed-out, objective perspective on what's going on. Not sure if that makes sense, at all. When I use iems, I'm right inside the sound/music (Though, maybe it's more accurate to say it's right inside me...literally), where the bass is dominant and obscuring the rest of the panorama. But when I listen to ear-buds (at least with my minimal experience), it feels like I'm 'standing' outside the music, 'looking' in. Perhaps a better analogy (or not :wink: ) would be the difference between watching a film in 2D or 3D. 3D might be more engaging/enveloping; enjoyable, perhaps. But it's hard to know where the edges are. 2D is flatter, in comparison, but much easier to get an overall perspective on what's happening.

As much nonsense as that description likely is, it's how I felt last night, plugging in my lightning-cabled earpods, after years of being in iems.

On one hand, it was clearly much less immersive. But on the other, the bass was no longer drilling directly into my head, and that left the mid-range singing...which I found to be much more engaging. Of course, being stock Apple earbuds, the experience was slightly lacking. However, not as much as I'd have imagined, and certainly in the ball-park of where I'm looking. If they had slightly better isolation, a bit more bass and less veiled/more detailed, I could imagine using them...

...except for the comfort issue. I used to wear these types of earpods years ago, as I was able to listen while doing my job, and still maintaining complete awareness of my surroundings. Back then, I wore then with sleeves and this meant I could listen for hours. The sleeves also helped with isolation and bass, but at the expense of clarity. Now, without the sleeves, I cant wear them for more than 15 minutes without pain in right ear where the pod tapers down to the speaker grill :frowning2:

tl;dr: I'm looking for a more comfortable, more revealing, non-fatiguing, slightly-bassier ear-pod...I think.

Two other times I've been wowed by in-ear sound. 1) KEF M200 (My current iem) and 2) Yuin G2A. These blew me away, and made me listen to more and more music just so I could listen to them more - an end in itself, as it were.

Too much rambling, f'sure. Any ideas? :wink:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #60,295 of 75,254
I noticed that you rotate the 300ohm version. I haven't tried these yet. Do you like them? How does the sound differ from the other ones. Thanks.
Sound is much more balanced compared to the typical warm, mid bass bloated earbud sound. I don't have the low impedance version to compare with. Another excellent value, as most buds are. Lol

Be warned they need lots of power to drive. My only tiny gripe is that the stems are a bit long since a mmcx cable adds some length.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #60,296 of 75,254
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #60,297 of 75,254
Ok...Here goes:

• source - iPad, phone, mp3 player etc. Strictly un-amped.
  • preferred connection - Single 3.5mm. Has to be straight as L-shaped likely won't work with my tank-like iPad case.
  • listening level & session length - Volume? As low as I can get away with. Session length? Depends on how good they are :wink:
  • listening environment - Anywhere/Everywhere.
  • preferred sound signature - Neutral/balanced on the whole, but with a soupçon of a smile...for fun.
  • preferred music genre - Eclectic. Mainly for music production, but if they sound good and are comfortable, they could be used for everything incl. podcasts
  • preferred shell type - My only preference would be to avoid earpod-shaped, as they give me a lot of pain in my right-ear, within ten minutes of use.
  • preferred brand - None, although it'd be really nice if it was something that could be obtained from Amazon, in Spain (I know this is unlikely)
  • budget - As little as I can get away with, at the moment. Would consider waiting-and-saving, and would certainly consider 2nd-hand
  • special need and/or consideration - With mic and remote would make it a possible all-rounder, though I'm certain this will rule-out a lot of cheaper giant-killer options. I'll take a hit on the mic/remote in deference to other more important factors. But wouldn't mind being made aware of some with in-line controls.

Ultimately, my main use-case will be for iPad music-production. Specifically, I want something balanced enough that I can trust to make destructive audio edits, while out-and-about. An example of this will be combining different sounds, then (re)sampling them into a cohesive whole, after which the original sound sources will likely be discarded. It's all done purely as a hobby (At least for the moment), and so I'm not looking for pro-level gear. Even if the budget were there (And it really isn't), I need something that can be thrown into and dragged out of a rucksack, at various points throughout a day.

I'd like to try my hand at some Hip-Hop production, at some point, but other than that I'll mainly be concentrating on Ambient music, with electronic and acoustic elements.

In terms of Ambient production, a lot of the material e.g drones, will sit at the upper bass, lower-mid/mid range, so I'd like something that isn't bloated in the upper-bass/lower-mids, so as to avoid congestion in that area. I mentioned Hip-Hop as I also want some measure of punch, if possible. But again, as long as it isn't bloated/congested.

The reason i no longer want to use iems is partly because I don't want to be putting anything that deep into my ear, anymore. But also, I want a more zoomed-out, objective perspective on what's going on. Not sure if that makes sense, at all. When I use iems, I'm right inside the sound/music (Though, maybe it's more accurate to say it's right inside me...literally), where the bass is dominant and obscuring the rest of the panorama. But when I listen to ear-buds (at least with my minimal experience), it feels like I'm 'standing' outside the music, 'looking' in. Perhaps a better analogy (or not :wink: ) would be the difference between watching a film in 2D or 3D. 3D might be more engaging/enveloping; enjoyable, perhaps. But it's hard to know where the edges are. 2D is flatter, in comparison, but much easier to get an overall perspective on what's happening.

As much nonsense as that description likely is, it's how I felt last night, plugging in my lightning-cabled earpods, after years of being in iems.

On one hand, it was clearly much less immersive. But on the other, the bass was no longer drilling directly into my head, and that left the mid-range singing...which I found to be much more engaging. Of course, being stock Apple earbuds, the experience was slightly lacking. However, not as much as I'd have imagined, and certainly in the ball-park of where I'm looking. If they had slightly better isolation, a bit more bass and less veiled/more detailed, I could imagine using them...

...except for the comfort issue. I used to wear these types of earpods years ago, as I was able to listen while doing my job, and still maintaining complete awareness of my surroundings. Back then, I wore then with sleeves and this meant I could listen for hours. The sleeves also helped with isolation and bass, but at the expense of clarity. Now, without the sleeves, I cant wear them for more than 15 minutes without pain in right ear where the pod tapers down to the speaker grill :frowning2:

tl;dr: I'm looking for a more comfortable, more revealing, non-fatiguing, slightly-bassier ear-pod...I think.

Two other times I've been wowed by in-ear sound. 1) KEF M200 (My current iem) and 2) Yuin G2A. These blew me away, and made me listen to more and more music just so I could listen to them more - an end in itself, as it were.

Too much rambling, f'sure. Any ideas? :wink:

Thanks!

Well, being Spanish I think I'm going to read your answer in detail, to see if I can help you get a great bud, or at least meet your expectations. If you want to, of course.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #60,300 of 75,254

Users who are viewing this thread

Back