Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #60,136 of 75,282
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #60,140 of 75,282
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #60,141 of 75,282
Feb 15, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #60,142 of 75,282
I suspect most of these tech reviewers are used to iems, so its not a surprise they find the bass lacking.
IEMs or TWS. There is only two pairs of TWS that I have ever tried that don't have boosted bass (Nuarl N6 Pro and Hifiman TWS600), and even though they are a nuetral bass, they are still more quantity than most buds. I suppose these new ones would fall into the category of TWS. True wireless earbuds rather than IEMs albeit.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #60,143 of 75,282
IEMs or TWS. There is only two pairs of TWS that I have ever tried that don't have boosted bass (Nuarl N6 Pro and Hifiman TWS600), and even though they are a nuetral bass, they are still more quantity than most buds. I suppose these new ones would fall into the category of TWS. True wireless earbuds rather than IEMs albeit.
Tws have boosted bass to compensate for outdoor environment.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #60,145 of 75,282
I suspect most of these tech reviewers are used to iems, so its not a surprise they find the bass lacking.
Agreed.

Just listened to Linus give his take on the linkbuds. Sounded convincing to me. Now the waiting begins...

4B2B1600-C861-4A4F-B893-7E04DCB1EB02.jpeg

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #60,146 of 75,282
I really interested. They remind me of a more open AirPod. 5.5 hour battery life is a bit of a bummer but the ring design is quite intriguing. Seems like it’d be a nice compliment with ANC headphones.
The design seemed familiar.
You guys remember these? From a few years ago I think... Xperia Ear Duo?

Screenshot_20220216-095509_Chrome.jpg

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #60,147 of 75,282
I noticed that in the specs section he says they support AptX. They do not, only SBC and AAC for these. That said, I decided I will be a Guinee pig for this one. If they sound decent, they would work perfectly for my work.

I work in mechanical/boiler rooms, and need to hear ambient sounds, and voices. This is more of a timing thing to me, because if the Fiio UTWS5 had been available on Amazon, I would probably not have bought the Sony Linkbuds. I was planning on getting the UTWS5 so that I can use with both earbuds and IEMs. They have ambient mode, so I would have openness for both. So, we'll see how it goes?! :sweat_smile:

SonyLinkBuds.png

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #60,148 of 75,282
Agreed.

Just listened to Linus give his take on the linkbuds. Sounded convincing to me. Now the waiting begins...

I noticed that in the specs section he says they support AptX. They do not, only SBC and AAC for these. That said, I decided I will be a Guinee pig for this one. If they sound decent, they would work perfectly for my work.

I work in mechanical/boiler rooms, and need to hear ambient sounds, and voices. This is more of a timing thing to me, because if the Fiio UTWS5 had been available on Amazon, I would probably not have bought the Sony Linkbuds. I was planning on getting the UTWS5 so that I can use with both earbuds and IEMs. They have ambient mode, so I would have openness for both. So, we'll see how it goes?! :sweat_smile:

Either of you have the Buds Live to compare with?

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #60,149 of 75,282
Even more surprising to me is that in these situations such reviewers tend to only take into consideration bass impact (slam and punch) and/or depth (sub-bass) which is greatly affected by "fitting seal" but say nothing at all about bass resolution (the resolving detail and natural timbre of the bass) which is less affected by "fitting seal" and more so by driver design, quality, and tuning. Although earbuds, more often than not, are indeed very lacking in both bass impact and depth, their open-air design offers excellent natural sounding timbre and quite superb resolution which in-turn provides excellently accurate bass resolution. And with very little "fitting seal" required; less so than what is required by an IEM. Often times earbuds may and do trump IEMs in this regards (bass resolution). Case in point... with the bass/timpani drum, double bass, and cello their timbre and detail in the lower frequencies is not always quite right with IEMs although the impact and depth is indeed most definitely there (and wondrously at that!) they are often not accurate (natural sounding) in the bass registers. Even synth bass sounds through certain IEMS can exhibit wonky bass registers (to the point of distortion) and/or muddying timbre (the mixing and complete loss of separation between different bass sounds that are supposed to be distinct and apart). Every transducer type has it's cons but also has it's pros... it just is conveniently and often forgotten when it comes to earbuds.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #60,150 of 75,282
Either of you have the Buds Live to compare with?

Yep I have the buds live as well. I'll post up some quick impressions as soon as I get the linkbuds. I've been waiting for the utws5 as well, but didn't know they had ambient mode (makes me want them even more, especially to use with a certain DIY 120ohm bery that a well known buds tinkerer assembled for me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back