Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #59,041 of 75,272
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #59,042 of 75,272
L & R confused me too.
Even when earbuds are marked, they are often hard to see. I usually put on different color foams for L & R.
What? Earbuds have a "left" and a "right"? Wow - learn something every day! :upside_down:
Especially for classical orchestral recordings, it can be disorienting when the channels are reversed and the standard orchestra layout is flipped around. Of course you also want the channels correct when watching a video.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #59,043 of 75,272
Even when earbuds are marked, they are often hard to see. I usually put on different color foams for L & R.

Especially for classical orchestral recordings, it can be disorienting when the channels are reversed and the standard orchestra layout is flipped around. Of course you also want the channels correct when watching a video.
Stereo recording get out of phase fast if you reverse the channels which can lower the bass. On further listening I've noticed a little sibilance on more complex music, like on Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head track, but nothing too bad; hopefully that will even out as they burn in. Simpler tracks like AiC Rotten Apple sound great, even the bass was solid. Mids remind me of my old Ety ER4P or course not as good, but similar tone. Just put on Bowie's Let's Dance. Where is that bass coming from lol?

Edit: these do come with a case! It was hidden in the packaging. A nice draw pouch.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #59,044 of 75,272
I have boosted a slope starting at 500hz down for the EBX. I tried double foams but it made them too big to fit in my ears.

Another option other than double foams is perhaps to use a silicone ring of sorts.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #59,045 of 75,272
Tried the silicon rings out the box and the treble was still too hot. Going to give them a good couple of days listening. One thing I am not a huge fan of is the weight of the cable. It's a nice cable but the weight and material makes it awkward for fit and makes a lot of cable noise.

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #59,046 of 75,272
em5x6.jpg

EM5 (balanced foam covers) vs X6

em5blur.jpg

EM5 vs Blur

fourte.jpg

Fiio EM5 arrived and it has this weird midrange dip akin to the Tia Fourte making soundstage quite wide, oval-shaped and airy. Using supplied donut foam cuts through lower mids warmth to make it more balanced sound. Pretty good so far..

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #59,047 of 75,272
em5x6.jpg
EM5 (balanced foam covers) vs X6

em5blur.jpg
EM5 vs Blur

fourte.jpg

Fiio EM5 arrived and it has this weird midrange dip akin to the Tia Fourte making soundstage quite wide, oval-shaped and airy. Using supplied donut foam cuts through lower mids warmth to make it more balanced sound. Pretty good so far..
How are the mids on the Blur?

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #59,048 of 75,272
Last edited:
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Nov 25, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #59,049 of 75,272
Hi all, i'm new here. Just want to ask which brand/product do you prefer as having mid-centric sound signature. Something like HD600.
I mostly listen to classical music so bass tight, fast and less quantity than mid, treble do not harsh, mid-centric is what i'm looking for.
Budget is about up to 400$.
Thanks for your recommend.

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #59,050 of 75,272
Hi all, i'm new here. Just want to ask which brand/product do you prefer as having mid-centric sound signature. Something like HD600.
I mostly listen to classical music so bass tight, fast and less quantity than mid, treble do not harsh, mid-centric is what i'm looking for.
Budget is about up to 400$.
Thanks for your recommend.

Possibly Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs (64ohm) or the Blur 189 Hybrid MX150 aPs (150ohm) that should be slightly brighter but not harsh :k701smile:. Check the model chart here. These models sit very closely in terms of tonality to the HD600.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #59,051 of 75,272
Possibly Blur 189 Hybrid MX64 aPs (64ohm) or the Blur 189 Hybrid MX150 aPs (150ohm) that should be slightly brighter but not harsh :k701smile:. Check the model chart here. These models sit very closely in terms of tonality to the HD600.
Sorry for late reply but my place where i live only have Ve, Shozy, Moondrop, Yuin, Symphonio/Sunrise, Rose brand and need to buy blind because they don't have demo. So may you tell me which brand/product on this list follow mid centric sound signature like HD600.
I prefer tonality over than technical. Thanks you so much.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #59,052 of 75,272
Sorry for late reply but my place where i live only have Ve, Shozy, Moondrop, Yuin, Symphonio/Sunrise, Rose brand and need to buy blind because they don't have demo. So may you tell me which brand/product on this list follow mid centric sound signature like HD600.
I prefer tonality over than technical. Thanks you so much.
Blur earbuds can be shipped just about anywhere, they are made by Wong Kuan Wae on facebook or instagram (https://instagram.com/blurearbuds_boleh7?utm_medium=copy_link).

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #59,054 of 75,272
Ok so - had some actual time to listen to my EM5s. A bit of a delay but stuff got in the way etc. It's my first proper bud experience, so was looking forward to this! Note I definitely need to burn in more but can give a few quick impressions. All off on the DX300MAX SS -

Main driver to try buds was for the openess of stage. It's definitely there, but something is not satisfying - I put that down to timbre being a bit off. It's not bad for $200 by any means, but it's noticeable. I agree with @tgx78 notes on the mid recess, not a huge issue for me; I am getting some peakiness in the treble which is a little annoying - hoping something which smooths with burn in? Interesting tuning and probably one that'll work better for electronic if the peakiness subsides.

Other technicalities are lacking compared to what I am used to. But again totally different price points. Comfort is good though, so they'll stay and be used as a work headphones as I appreciate the stage when working!

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #59,055 of 75,272
Ok so - had some actual time to listen to my EM5s. A bit of a delay but stuff got in the way etc. It's my first proper bud experience, so was looking forward to this! Note I definitely need to burn in more but can give a few quick impressions. All off on the DX300MAX SS -

Main driver to try buds was for the openess of stage. It's definitely there, but something is not satisfying - I put that down to timbre being a bit off. It's not bad for $200 by any means, but it's noticeable. I agree with @tgx78 notes on the mid recess, not a huge issue for me; I am getting some peakiness in the treble which is a little annoying - hoping something which smooths with burn in? Interesting tuning and probably one that'll work better for electronic if the peakiness subsides.

Other technicalities are lacking compared to what I am used to. But again totally different price points. Comfort is good though, so they'll stay and be used as a work headphones as I appreciate the stage when working!
Are you using them with foam? Try them naked, I'm using mine with NiceHCK o-ring, tighter bass response, less mid bass emphasis and better technicalities. Even with Crisp Foam the sound is a little too "congested" to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back