Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #57,812 of 75,269
Being newby in this 'hole', I decided to listen some historic model, Monk Plus arrived :smile_phones:
I like them quite a lot, especially the comfort, small and very light. But not so easy to drive how I'd preferred.

For start get the RY4S plus. Anything bellow it is not worth the spend if you dont want to collect stuff. Ancestors are the best bang uo to the RY4S Plus i would say.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #57,813 of 75,269
As an aside, what is the LBBS equivalent in the headphone world ( without eq)?
I don’t know, but the SMABAT Super One driver in the M2s Pro with the type 1 filter and Venture Electronic foams is the HD650 In truth. It’s remarkable how close they are.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #57,814 of 75,269
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #57,815 of 75,269
For start get the RY4S plus. Anything bellow it is not worth the spend if you dont want to collect stuff. Ancestors are the best bang uo to the RY4S Plus i would say.
I can try, not much stuff come in Europe easily.
Are the RY4S plus 300 ohm?

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #57,817 of 75,269
I don’t know, but the SMABAT Super One driver in the M2s Pro with the type 1 filter and Venture Electronic foams is the HD650 In truth. It’s remarkable how close they are.
Is the Type 1 filter the standard filter hte M2s Pro shells come with? I switched the Super One into my old M2s Pro shells where I didn't remove the filter and it has grown on me. I gave it the new Fiio LC-RC cable as well. Because the fit is so good when worn over ear with the new cable, I find myself listening to it more than even the Bell Ti Plus. It definitely doesn't beat it in any regard, but it has grown on me. It's really enjoyable. I think the brighter response just makes things sound a bit more lively and detailed. Bass is just as good as the other drivers. One interesting thing is vocal presentation: I thought the mids were 'recessed' in terms of volume but I think it's more about their spatial positioning. The vocals on M2s Pro Super One sound like they're in my head, which may or may not be your cup of tea. LBBS they sound in front of me, and 150 ohm golden driver M2S Pro sound laid back, like almost behind me.

Maybe I was too quick to write off the Super One, maybe it just takes some time to get used to, maybe people need to experiment rolling filters and foams and cables and wear positions.. but overall I would recommend them. Just note the value isn't quite as good as stock m2s pro or LBBS. But it's a hell of a lot better than the actual Super One model at $300.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #57,820 of 75,269
Perhaps some new variant of the Faaeal Snow Lotus 1.0 Plus (64Ω; aka 1.0+) or literally a new model called Faaeal 64 Heavy Bass???
I think it's the same SL just a different colorway.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #57,821 of 75,269
Is the Type 1 filter the standard filter hte M2s Pro shells come with? I switched the Super One into my old M2s Pro shells where I didn't remove the filter and it has grown on me. I gave it the new Fiio LC-RC cable as well. Because the fit is so good when worn over ear with the new cable, I find myself listening to it more than even the Bell Ti Plus. It definitely doesn't beat it in any regard, but it has grown on me. It's really enjoyable. I think the brighter response just makes things sound a bit more lively and detailed. Bass is just as good as the other drivers. One interesting thing is vocal presentation: I thought the mids were 'recessed' in terms of volume but I think it's more about their spatial positioning. The vocals on M2s Pro Super One sound like they're in my head, which may or may not be your cup of tea. LBBS they sound in front of me, and 150 ohm golden driver M2S Pro sound laid back, like almost behind me.

Maybe I was too quick to write off the Super One, maybe it just takes some time to get used to, maybe people need to experiment rolling filters and foams and cables and wear positions.. but overall I would recommend them. Just note the value isn't quite as good as stock m2s pro or LBBS. But it's a hell of a lot better than the actual Super One model at $300.
I think it is the type 1 filter that comes in it but I'm not sure. In my experience, that filter sounds the best with all the drivers and shells I've tried. I'm not sure which driver I really prefer because I only have one M2s pro shell and it takes too much time to switch it all around to be really sure. In truth I probably could do it fast enough, but I'm afraid of breaking something. The M2s Pro shell is all sold out at the moment. I should add that the SMABAT do have deeper bass than the 650.

Does anyone know what effect on the filtering double stacking the filters would have? @furyossa might be the best source for this.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #57,823 of 75,269
Looking for my first pair of earbuds since the apple ones I had years ago.

Something cheapish ($10-30/50)

Headphones I like:
- Soundmagic E10 (prefer the tips with the wider opening/hole)
- Creative Aurvana Live

Based on graphs I've looked at it, it seems like I want around +5db bass with recessed upper-mids/lower-treble (2-5k)

Like, but not as much as the above:
- Koss Porta Pro

Don't like:
- Audio Technica M40x (piercing upper treble)
- Sennheiser HD598 (too little bass / too much upper mids + treble / too spaced-out)

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #57,824 of 75,269

Headphones I like:
- Creative Aurvana Live

Based on graphs I've looked at it, it seems like I want around +5db bass with recessed upper-mids/lower-treble (2-5k)

- Koss Porta Pro

Don't like:
- Sennheiser HD598 (too little bass / too much upper mids + treble / too spaced-out)
Yincrow X6

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #57,825 of 75,269

Headphones I like:
- Creative Aurvana Live

- Koss Porta Pro

Don't like:
Yincrow X6
A great recommendation.

If you desire more in depth earbud recommendations the following data is extremely helpful:
  • source (using a DAC/AMP/DAP/PC/smartphone/streamer; audio file type including bit & sample rate)
  • preferred connection (termination type e.g. 3.5SE/4.4TRRS/2.5mm; single-end vs balanced; mic/no mic)
  • listening level & time (volume, and for how long?)
  • listening environment (mobile/office desk/home desktop/listening room)
  • preferred sound signature (bright; flat/neutral; balanced/natural/smooth; dark/warm; extra bass/bassy; L/U/V-shaped)
  • preferred genre (rock, heavy metal, pop, classical, OST, hip-hop, R&B, Korean-Pop, EDM, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.)
  • preferred shell type (depends on your ears and personal comfort; please see here)
  • preferred brand (applicable if asking for a specific model recommendation within a single brand family)
  • price range (probably the most important; what are you willing/looking to spend?)
  • any special need, consideration, and/or request

Users who are viewing this thread

Back