Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 6, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #57,706 of 75,216
Interesting, but looking their shape, are those buds stable in ears, no issue?

it depends on the ear shape too, if the ears have enough "sitting space" for earphones on the concha behind the antitragus, it will be stable. i have few friends that can't wear the X12 stable enough.
images.jpeg

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #57,707 of 75,216
it depends on the ear shape too, if the ears have enough "sitting space" for earphones on the concha behind the antitragus, it will be stable. i have few friends that can't wear the X12 stable enough.
images.jpeg
Interesting seeing that picture. My ear canal sits right behind the Tragus, and the Tragus and Anti Tragus are much closer together, giving me a great "flap" that will hold earbuds in place... My wife on the other hand has like 0 space from the Tragus/Anti Tragus to the Concha which means her ears won't support buds at all of really any kind. She has to use in ear phones, or at least something that will artificially hold them in place like the Bose Stay Here wings or over ear holders. Even then, they aren't very steady in there...

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #57,708 of 75,216
Maybe it is that, or maybe you just "cleansed your pallet" so to speak. Different earbuds/IEMs/headphones will sound different to you on different days. Maybe you inserted them differently, or the hairs in your ears are coated with wax (or clean for a change LOL), or etc... Give them a good listen that way for a few days and see if you still feel that way?!

For instance, my iBasso IT07 IEMs. They are my absolute favorite sounding... [insert type of phone here], but now and again I put them in and think to myself, what happened to these? They sound like crap! But, after a few days they are back to being fantastic again.

Just some food for thought, and nothing more than theorizing on my part. :)

yes, ears are highly adaptive, just like the eyes, skin, and other parts of human body. it's similar like that experiment where we dunk our left hand in ice water and the right hand in warm water, and after a few moments we put both of them in a room temperature water.. both hands will feel the temperature differently.

that's why i still keep some different sounding earphones : even if it sounds unexciting today, it will surprise me some other day (and vice versa)

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #57,709 of 75,216
Maybe it is that, or maybe you just "cleansed your pallet" so to speak. Different earbuds/IEMs/headphones will sound different to you on different days. Maybe you inserted them differently, or the hairs in your ears are coated with wax (or clean for a change LOL), or etc... Give them a good listen that way for a few days and see if you still feel that way?!

For instance, my iBasso IT07 IEMs. They are my absolute favorite sounding... [insert type of phone here], but now and again I put them in and think to myself, what happened to these? They sound like crap! But, after a few days they are back to being fantastic again.

Just some food for thought, and nothing more than theorizing on my part. :)
I definitely will listen to these for a few. They were my EDC for 2 weeks with the foams that didn't work for them. I just EQed them into submission.

This type of thing has happened to me with my SMABAT several times. It's just a certain way they sit in my ears. Just a particular position makes that 3k region way too high. Then I take it out and place it again and voila, it's good (though still not perfect--there's a bit too much energy there for me that can be made horrible with a bad seating). The mx500 shell is the same and the EA earbuds do it slightly in my right ear. The LBBs, DP100, and the Zen Lite fit so lock and key that it hasn't been much of a problem though when I go completely naked with the Lite, it gets boxy (too much energy from 400-900Hz-ish).

Even at different times of the day, music sounds different to me live or recorded and no doubt that's possibly part of the story. It seems to happen more dramatically with IEMs and buds due to seating issues than any other listening method and buds have the highest variability for me though generally more subtle. When an IEM isn't sitting right, it's obvious. Buds can be not perfect and yet not horrible. That said, side-by-side with the competition from the previous day which sounded as I remembered, and switching various foams, it was just that: the tuning is dramatically different. Switching them back to how they were the day before, and they sounded that way. Confirmation bias may not be out of the question, but my ear isn't particularly dishonest. Time will tell.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #57,710 of 75,216
This doesn't surprise me. Out of the 3 VE earbuds I own, only the Monk Lite 120ohm works with foams. Both the Monk+ and VE ZOE lose tons of detail with foams and become muddy messes (in my opinion). Naked, the buds really open up and still deliver good bass response, which is astonishing to me. I haven't observed such a drastic change in sound from foamed vs naked in any of my earbuds.
Although I use all my buds with foams as a rule (without foams most are just apt to fall out of my ears), I'm looking forward to trying this with the Zen 2.0 (4.4 balanced) that is on its way to me now.

These Zen Lite have been blowing my mind tonight. Wow did I misrepresent them! They should come with instructions Or something like: try them once in every configuration that comes in the box. Not a single annoying sound coming out of these drivers. In fact, they are beautiful. I think any buds I get from this point forward I’m going to do a lot more experimentation Before I pass any judgement.
If you like the Zen Lite, perhaps also give the Zen LL a try. I've used mine for going on a week straight and they're very good, imho. I particularly like the note weight, my music sounds richer and more 'substantial' with the Zen LL.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #57,711 of 75,216
Although I use all my buds with foams as a rule (without foams most are just apt to fall out of my ears), I'm looking forward to trying this with the Zen 2.0 (4.4 balanced) that is on its way to me now.

If you like the Zen Lite, perhaps also give the Zen LL a try. I've used mine for going on a week straight and they're very good, imho. I particularly like the note weight, my music sounds richer and more 'substantial' with the Zen LL.
I would be interested in hearing your experience. I too wear foams on every earbud, but with the Monk+ and ZOE, the SQ difference is too drastic for me to justify using with foams. Other reviewers of the Zen 2.0 note this discrepancy to varying degrees.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #57,712 of 75,216
Earbuds Sabbat X12 Ultra
x12ultra.jpg

A very competent and balanced setting.

APTX enabled: sound a little brighter and more detailed (the sound with APTX from memory reminds sound similar to Shozy BK)
APTX disabled: sound more massive, bassier, and slightly less detailed

in total, we have 2 different sound modes

A good alternative so as not to carry a DAP with you, they sound for 50 bucks somewhere, in some nuances, it is even more expensive, in some it is cheaper.

It turns out more profitable than buying some kind of DAP for streaming like Shanling M3X and budget inserts like RY4S, etc. All the same, in transport and on the street, the sound loses a lot of detail.

PS. I'll write about Huawei Freebuds 3 later and compare it with these.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #57,713 of 75,216

I deliberated a long time about LL and Lite. After a discussion with a VE Rep (I believe it was Wild Lee himself), I went with the Lite which I thought was a mistake initially. Now I’m totally happy with it Though I bet I’d feel the same way about the LL. I think my only mistake was using foams that were too dense for it. I just used HeiGi because I’ve had great luck with them in the past. HeiGi are incredibly comfortable

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #57,715 of 75,216
I just made a new purchase and it arrived two days ago. It is the Lumigon H2. It was the free buds that came with the Lumigon T2 HD. Both phone speakers and buds are claimed to be tuned by Bang & Olufsen. I think you guys who have access to taobao should absolutely try this because it is a total steal for USD4 (shipping cost excluded)!!! Just get it and let it burn-in for a few hours and it sings! Of course, there is no perfect buds in this world and there are only two cons for me: 1. the size is somewhat a little bigger than the usual Apple Earpod style earbuds, my ears hurt after sometime, putting a foam fixes that somehow but the sound signature is altered, 2. the sub-bass is none existent but which bud has sub-bass anyway, at least not the ones I own.

here is the link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.da312e8dqEA2Gg&id=643514198925&_u=820aemkbskfd7f

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #57,716 of 75,216
Initial Super One driver in M2S Pro shell impressions compared to golden driver (I am waiting on another cable and it'll be easier to do comparisons with stock 40ohm, gold, and super together. I only have 2 shells and 1 cable at the moment). worn with full foams

- Bigger subbass quality and rumble
- Brighter treble -- this is probably the biggest difference because it changes from the golden driver what I would consider a balanced/neutral and sort of laid back presentation. My initial impression was the super one driver is almost V-shaped because of its sub-bass quantity and a perceived higher clarity, sparkle, and air in the treble
- Treble seems to be 'sharp' in certain sounds, like a snare drum or clap, but it also seems to add more texture to the sounds
- Soundstage and imaging seems to be most technically proficient on the super one driver
- Female vocals seem airy, but sometimes potentially sharp, metallic. Against bass-heavy tracks, they seem a little distant. This might be 'veiled vocals' in reviewer speak
- Male vocals, seems similar to female vocals. A little dry
- Instrument separation seems clearer and distinct
- edit: I think this has bass bleed or something. some bass starts to sound 'wonky', like a fuzzy horn honking instead of a tighter low frequency tone.

As a result of fuller subbass, sparklier/airer treble, solid imaging and soundstage, and clearer instrument separation, it seems to leave the vocals behind. I mean that in the sense that doesn't immediately strike me as a 'ooh, forward vocals' type of bud. I can clearly hear the vocals, they just don't have the same kind of impact and emphasis as the surrounding instrumentation or beat.

I'm curious to hear other impressions as well. I think as an option for an M2s Pro Shell, this could be a sidegrade depending on what kind of music you listen to. I think the gold driver (from memory) is an upgrade over stock. Between gold and Super, since the price isnt too far off I think you can justify trying either. If the Super One shell/package at $200+ sounds like this then it wouldn't make sense to do over building your own Smabat bud.

edit: currently leaning towards gold driver over super one driver :\. just seems more balanced tonality wise. its possible that super one has an edge on technicalities but i guess it doesnt matter if you dont like the tonality.

edit2: omg this almost feels like.. if you are into IEMs..

super one driver = ikko oh10
gold driver = blessing2 dusk

in the sense that the super one driver is a more 'fun' sound that's decently technical, good stage, but lots of sub bass and air but vocals feel lacking. more about the music/production/instrumentation than the vocals

gold driver is more balanced overall with a more neutral tonality and a touch of warmth to sound full and lush. also decently technical but maybe soundstage is a little narrower and some microdynamics/texture/detail is missing (or rather, maybe super one driver artificially increases it with the boosted treble from 2k-5k)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #57,717 of 75,216
received_3066678696984970.jpeg
newbsound X on the way to my house, excited to try a relatively new maker based in the US
Good for you sir. Unfortunately, the maker does not ship to my country. Looking forward to your impressions and maybe comparison to what you have already. Those cable looks stiff though in the picture.

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #57,718 of 75,216
Just put together my smabat M0 shells with the white driver (described on smabat site as having the most treble) and a nicehck cable. The shell of the m0 doesn’t fit me so well, the “tragus“ part of my ear pushes them out.
i usually don’t use foams since it introduces too much mid bass.
i still think they lack the sparkle at the top end (I’m a grado fan so always looking for a brighter sound), and they probably need a bit more sub bass.

I prefer them to Vidos which I find a too boomy (mid bassy), but compared to faaeal snow lotus it’s a more difficult choice.

btw. The fit of the drivers in the shell is not great. I removed the red rubber band and added a thin bead of hot glue to get the drivers to stay on.

Attachments

• 645F43A4-4BF8-462D-B11E-E00261644A6A.png
    645F43A4-4BF8-462D-B11E-E00261644A6A.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #57,719 of 75,216
Good for you sir. Unfortunately, the maker does not ship to my country. Looking forward to your impressions and maybe comparison to what you have already. Those cable looks stiff though in the picture.
That's too bad. Cable looks fine to me, just a looser braid than I'm used to seeing. I'll be sure to post my impressions here when I receive them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back