Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #55,456 of 75,544
My rule is very stupid (or I am it directly), since I like it a lot and I want that sound forever, I buy another (and it stays in a drawer) then when I have another one that I don't like more ... original and duplicate they stay in a drawer....
So you probably have those big and deep drawers :wink: Some for duplicates and some for spare cables :joy:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #55,457 of 75,544
So you probably have those big and deep drawers :wink: Some for duplicates and some for spare cables :joy:

...and for an MP3 player of "nothing more and nothing less than 8GB" !!!!!! I don't know what to do with such a wonder!

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #55,458 of 75,544
...and for an MP3 player of "nothing more and nothing less than 8GB" !!!!!! I don't know what to do with such a wonder!
U can fill it with MIDI songs and Ringtones :)

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #55,459 of 75,544
My rule is very stupid (or I am it directly), since I really like a bud and I want that sound forever, I buy another one like it (and it stays in a drawer) later when I have another one that I like better .... original and duplicate are left in a drawer ...
wow fellow stupid rule follower here.. I realize I do this and it's very wasteful and expensive LOL. I actually wrote down some rules to help curb my spending this month (lol) and here they are:
  • No more than $300 (so far, so good, since I got the chaconne and EM5 on sales)
  • No multiples
  • Not all-black
  • Must offer some upgrade to existing collection (which is why I went for the Yincrow X6 with a mic, since none of my other buds have mics, and otherwise should technically outrank the X6)
  • Must stay in without silicone (I think it's a lost cause if you need to use wings to keep your buds in place, since those ruin the comfort for me)
  • Must have balanced termination (wait, I just broke this rule with the X6s lol)
  • Have 4 earbuds max at one time (I am also breaking this rule. I blame Rikudou)

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #55,460 of 75,544
wow fellow stupid rule follower here.. I realize I do this and it's very wasteful and expensive LOL. I actually wrote down some rules to help curb my spending this month (lol) and here they are:
  • No more than $300 (so far, so good, since I got the chaconne and EM5 on sales)
  • No multiples
  • Not all-black
  • Must offer some upgrade to existing collection (which is why I went for the Yincrow X6 with a mic, since none of my other buds have mics, and otherwise should technically outrank the X6)
  • Must stay in without silicone (I think it's a lost cause if you need to use wings to keep your buds in place, since those ruin the comfort for me)
  • Must have balanced termination (wait, I just broke this rule with the X6s lol)
  • Have 4 earbuds max at one time (I am also breaking this rule. I blame Rikudou)
Must collect more then 4 earbud as so many unique ones available

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #55,461 of 75,544

I have SO broken that rule!!!

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #55,462 of 75,544
My rule is very stupid (or I am it directly), since I really like a bud and I want that sound forever, I buy another one like it (and it stays in a drawer) later when I have another one that I like better .... original and duplicate are left in a drawer ...

i try not to have the same/similar sounding earphones on their specific form factor groups (earbuds, iems, headphones, openback, closedback),for instance, if i have a treble dominant earbuds and encounter another good one that's similar, i would do a shoot-out, and (hopefully:sweat_smile:) would just keep one of them.

for duplicates, i try not to have them, unless if it's rare enough or discontinued

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #55,463 of 75,544
ST-10 was once smabat's flagship.

Just like you I was lucky enough to snatch one recently on the cheap, last one available from a random Amazon seller.

I like it a lot. It's easier to drive , less bassy, and less peaky in mid-high than ST-10s Gold.

Yep, according to clieOS and a few others in this thread, they prefer the original to the st-10s. It was another reason that I pulled the trigger to get something that cost few times the price of my current bud.

So far, I'm liking it. soundstage and technicalities are above the budget bud.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #55,464 of 75,544
for duplicates, i try not to have them, unless if it's rare enough or discontinued
The problem is that good models are always discontinued, so by the time we decide we need a spare pair, the "train" is already gone 🚂:cloud::cloud::cloud::wave:

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #55,465 of 75,544
Yep, according to clieOS and a few others in this thread, they prefer the original to the st-10s. It was another reason that I pulled the trigger to get something that cost few times the price of my current bud.

Yep. And the best of that bunch was the V1 followed closely by the V3 iirc.

My v1 is FS in the classifieds now. Good sound but just not comfortable enough for me on long sessions (damn my small ears).

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #55,466 of 75,544

My v1 is FS in the classifieds now. Good sound but just not comfortable enough for me on long sessions (damn my small ears).
Have you tried OFC cables yet?
The sound will be thicker than with stock cables(silver plated?).

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #55,467 of 75,544
The problem is that good models are always discontinued, so by the time we decide we need a spare pair, the "train" is already gone 🚂:cloud::cloud::cloud::wave:

that is really true, and to make things more complicated, chifis would usually do "stealth changes" to their product, so usually even if they're still being sold, there's a chance it will be different from the first batch :sweat:

the best hope is that there's a new product that would similar or better

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #55,468 of 75,544
Have you tried OFC cables yet?
The sound is thicker than with stock cables.
Yes.

I ended up skipping use of the stock cables (relegated for burn in use only) as they cause spreading of the ST-10's center mmcx pin and were the cause of intermittent connection.

Once the new cable was used the MMCX connection was fixed. Since then I only used them with an upgraded style MMCX ends/cable that was OFC iirc.

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #55,469 of 75,544

Is there a way to tell a difference between different versions of ST-10?

Jun 24, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #55,470 of 75,544
Is there a way to tell a difference between different versions of ST-10?

Visually only between V1 & V2/V3. V1 has an exposed center MMCX pin. V2 & V3 have a newer enclosed/surrounded pin. Also by the MMCX cable ends.

V2 & V3 only by sound as far as I know.

Here's comparison pics I took a long time ago. New = V2/V3, Old = V1.

20190518_205914 (1).jpg
20190518_213707 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back