Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #54,767 of 75,348
I wouldn't count on warranty for Aliexpress shops, I just assume that once stuff is bought from Aliexpress, you are on your own. Don't be expecting good CS levels.

Firstly, the seller will demand video or photo evidence if something goes defective. Some things can be easily shown, but certain stuff like driver imbalance or out of phase wiring etc or intermittent sound cut out can't be shown easily, unless perhaps you have some measuring rigs. Some sellers just don't respond even, once you are out of the buyer protection window.

Secondly, if the seller approves the warranty, sending stuff back to China will probably cost the same as a budget earbud. Not to mention stuff can get lost. And anyways, by the time the seller sends a replacement set over, a new hypetrain flavour of the week would have probably already reached your mailbox haha.
This is a true story:

I bought the Onmyoji with 3.5mm plug from some store. After a long wait, those earbuds finally arrived.

When I inserted the earbuds jack into the plug with high expectations, I felt something strange.
The left side part of plug is not making good contact...[Cold sweat]
There is no sound coming from the left side depending on how the plug is inserted.
Even If change the jack this symptom happens frequently,
The sound from the left side even increases and decreases whenever I rotate the plug,

I was very quite surprised that such a basic problem was overlooked in this expensive onmyoji which price is over 350USD.

I ended up explaining the situation to the seller of the store and required a replacement.

Then the seller saied d that "please ship back to us repalce new for you.".

So I sent the earbuds and replied that "I sent back my faulty Onmyoji with traking number by post today and please send me a new Onmyoji and 30 leather clips for earbuds as postal fee (USD10) now!"

Then the seller salied that "we will arrange fast repalce after receive your return parcel. and we will send 3pcs Cable Winder (1 pcs is USD8!) with new earphone. we are honest seller and we promise : replace new after return the parcel",

So I replied that "I am honest buyer, so please send to me new onmyoji ASAP!"

Then the seller never relented and saying that "about the earphone, we will ship after receive it. we need to detect the problems, and hope you can understand, thank you. ".

This ugly and terrible story of dispute ended...

Edit: It will probably be about a month before I can receive my new Onmyoji.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #54,768 of 75,348
This is a true story:

I bought the Onmyoji with 3.5mm plug from some store. After a long wait, those earbuds finally arrived.

When I inserted the earbuds jack into the plug with high expectations, I felt something strange.
The left plug is not making good contact...[Sweat]
There is still no sound coming from the left side depending on how the plug is inserted. Even If change the jack this happens frequently,
The sound from the left side even increases and decreases when I rotate the plug,

I was very quite surprised that such a basic problem was overlooked in this expensive onmyoji.

I ended up explaining the situation to the seller of the store and required to offer a replacement.

Then the seller saied d that "tplease ship back to us repalce new for you.",

So I sended the earbuds and replied that "I'sent back my faulty Onmyoji today and you send me a new Onmyoji and 30 leather clips for earbuds as postal fee (USD10) right away today!"

Then the seller salied that "we will arrange fast repalce after receive your return parcel. and we will send 3pcs Cable Winder (1 pcs is USD8!) with new earphone. we are honest seller and we promise : replace new after return the parcel",

So I replied that "I am honest buyer, so please send me new onmyoji ASAP!"

Then the seller never relented and saying that "about the earphone, we will ship after receive it. we need to detect the problems, and hope you can understand, thank you. ".

This ugly story of dispute ended...
So they never sent you a replacement at all? Wow...im guessing the website refused to do anything? Were you able to do a charge back on your card or something?

That really sucks....

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #54,769 of 75,348
Not sure if this is really the place for this but putting it on here and can be directed if there is another place. Venturing into the TWS earbud arena as I am doing a lot of hiking, beach, and camping etc this summer and wires just are not really great for that kinda thing. My buds+ have been amazing but I want some earbuds so got the Samsung Galaxy Live and not feeling them. Loads of midbass and when going to Treble eq does well for my taste but just not exactly what I imagined them to be. So been looking and found this guy doings some cool back to backs.

From what I can tell Mii Air 2 and Soundpeat TrueAir 2 are solid pics. Mii Air 2 is $15 on AliExpress now. I ordered both sets. Soundpeats should be here thursday so will update, from the sound on this video seems to be a more V shape with solid bass, bit scooped mids, and good treble. My main issue with Airpods is the sharp cut off after 100hz and that 15db pinna boost at 2.7khz... just makes it sound kinda nasal and vocal centric. I'd take a good tuned V over that. Mii Air 2 seems balanced with bass boost, so an L? but who knows only tell so much on those kinds of tests.

Wish some 15.6mm drivers would could out...

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #54,770 of 75,348
Hakugei makes (expensive) cables and just came out with their version of MX500 aka MX500 Rick James :ksc75smile:

I find them quite appealing although built with what appears to be a paracord cable which might be too heavy for earbuds/IEMs from my experience.

Could someone please comment on the difference/meaning of 2H, 3H, 5H versions of the original MX500 driver?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002722779433.html

1623101139134.png

1623101353288.png

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #54,771 of 75,348
Hakugei makes (expensive) cables and just came out with their version of MX500 aka MX500 Rick James :ksc75smile:

I find them quite appealing although built with what appears to be a paracord cable which might be too heavy for earbuds/IEMs from my experience.

Could someone please comment on the difference/meaning of 2H, 3H, 5H versions of the original MX500 driver?

1623101139134.png
1623101353288.png
Interesting... At least it looks like cable durability isn't an issue here.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #54,772 of 75,348

2H, 3H and 5H are different drivers made by Foster, they were used in Sennheiser's, Sharp's and certain other MX500 shelled earbuds. They're all fairly warm and smooth, probably have a similar sound signature to the OP139 which also uses a Foster driver but one of the big solder type.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #54,773 of 75,348
Btw, do you guys know if there are any buds made out of resin instead of plastic?

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #54,774 of 75,348
This is a true story:

The left side part of plug is not making good contact...[Cold sweat]
There is no sound coming from the left side depending on how the plug is inserted.
Even If change the jack this symptom happens frequently,
The sound from the left side even increases and decreases whenever I rotate the plug,

I was very quite surprised that such a basic problem was overlooked in this expensive onmyoji which price is over 350USD.

I ended up explaining the situation to the seller of the store and required to offer a replacement.

Then the seller saied d that "please ship back to us repalce new for you.",

So I sent the earbuds and replied that "I sent back my faulty Onmyoji with traking number by post today and please send me a new Onmyoji and 30 leather clips for earbuds as postal fee (USD10) right away today!"

So I replied that "I am honest buyer, so please send to me new onmyoji ASAP!"

This ugly and terrible story of dispute ended...

Edit: It will probably be about a month before I can receive my new Onmyoji.

Not long ago, another member reported that his/hers arrived with a free spinning plug barrel. I think it is quite disheartening if this is their QC standard for even flagship models.

My previous pair of LBBS arrived with a quite badly scratched up metal driver screen. I'm thinking hard if I should get another pair even if I missed the sound.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #54,775 of 75,348
Not sure if this is really the place for this but putting it on here and can be directed if there is another place. Venturing into the TWS earbud arena as I am doing a lot of hiking, beach, and camping etc this summer and wires just are not really great for that kinda thing. My buds+ have been amazing but I want some earbuds so got the Samsung Galaxy Live and not feeling them. Loads of midbass and when going to Treble eq does well for my taste but just not exactly what I imagined them to be. So been looking and found this guy doings some cool back to backs.

From what I can tell Mii Air 2 and Soundpeat TrueAir 2 are solid pics. Mii Air 2 is $15 on AliExpress now. I ordered both sets. Soundpeats should be here thursday so will update, from the sound on this video seems to be a more V shape with solid bass, bit scooped mids, and good treble. My main issue with Airpods is the sharp cut off after 100hz and that 15db pinna boost at 2.7khz... just makes it sound kinda nasal and vocal centric. I'd take a good tuned V over that. Mii Air 2 seems balanced with bass boost, so an L? but who knows only tell so much on those kinds of tests.

Wish some 15.6mm drivers would could out...

from some of the earbuds TWS that I've tried:
  • Sabbat X12 is a solid performer, especially if you like vocals. not too deep reaching on the subbass though, even with foams.
  • Tronsmart Onyx Ace sounds neutral and balanced across the board, subbass is there, and you can put foams to adjust the fitting and sound to your liking.
  • Soundpeats Trueair2 sounds good, more similar to IEM in presentation than the others. the unit i tried has a bit of grainy treble, but it was a brand new out of the box unit, and i only listened to it for a short while, so might be a bit different after more playtime
  • Vivo TWS Neo. without foams, it sounds thin, but with foams, i really like it. do mind that on my unit i have to mod the case to be able to charge with foams attached (I've read other user that doesn't need to do mods though). also with non-Vivo phones, you don't have access to EQ and aptx.
  • Sabbat Vooplay: i also really like it, but with donut foams on it. subbass can reach deep. one of my most used TWS.
  • Samsung Buds Live: nice wide sound, good for movies, but i don't prefer it for music, because of the stereo spread is too wide for my taste, and also the mids arr a bit thin. touch control is finicky and ANC is a little useless, so i turn them off.
  • TRN BT20S Pro: put your preferred earbuds with it, and you'll have a solid TWS solution with great battery life. i use it with my MMCX modded Edifier H185

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #54,776 of 75,348
The Bell-ti is certainly ultra comfortable, but not more than the Zen LL, and I don’t prefer it’s sound neither.
In the more or less same family of sound as the Bell-Ti the Yincrow 2000 has a fuller and bigger sound.
In the end I could not really love the tiny sound of the Bell-ti which I find too bright (and yes I have the 120 ohm verison).
Double foaming the Bell-ti is useless as it achieves nothing positive.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #54,777 of 75,348
The Bell-ti is certainly ultra comfortable, but not more than the Zen LL, and I don’t prefer it’s sound neither.
In the more or less same family of sound as the Bell-Ti the Yincrow 2000 has a fuller and bigger sound.
In the end I could not really love the tiny sound of the Bell-ti which I find too bright (and yes I have the 120 ohm verison).
Double foaming the Bell-ti is useless as it achieves nothing positive.

I think I will get a pair of Zen LL next. From memory, I liked its sound and find it very comfortable to wear. That was the standard model with the red cables, but I'm pretty sure the SLQ version will be a better cable upgrade.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #54,778 of 75,348
I think I will get a pair of Zen LL next. From memory, I liked its sound and find it very comfortable to wear. That was the standard model with the red cables, but I'm pretty sure the SLQ version will be a better cable upgrade.
From all the earbuds I have, if I had to only keep one, regardless of price, it would be the Zen LL (I only know the special edition though).

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #54,779 of 75,348
Is it not a standard form factor? Are they bigger than the yuin pk2s or something?

Ive seen pictures of course but i'm not quite sure how it differs. It looks like the rear part is thicker than normal at least, but I don't know if that will affect things. I can only hope that it will fit me fine when it arrives.

Someone did tell me that the LBBS are small, but they certaintly dont look small at least...do you find them smaller or larger than normal?

The LB/LBBS are smaller diameter like the Yuin PK shells (16.1-16.3mm O.D.).

If you prefer smaller diameter earbuds, the K's bell series are the most comfortable of all earbuds shapes I've tried.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #54,780 of 75,348
The LB/LBBS are smaller diameter like the Yuin PK shells (16.1-16.3mm O.D.).

If you prefer smaller diameter earbuds, the K's bell series are the most comfortable of all earbuds shapes I've tried.
Bell Type III Shell Type

Indeed the Ks Bell shell is super duper comfortable. Without a doubt the most comfortable earbud I have ever worn is the Ks Bell-Ti 120Ω.

That said there is apparently a serious and concerning QC issue with flagship Bell models in regards to the cabling at the driver connection point and this appears to be due to a very narrow stem port design. The lower Bell models have an ever-so-slightly different port design and thus a shorter and wider diameter stem which doesn't restrict cable gauge nor cable pullout "knotting". For an excellent example break down of Ks' Bell shells please see @furyossa post here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back