Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 28, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #51,976 of 75,288
I understand. You have D.P. also?

Not yet, but I'm considering buying them if they can get a better sound (than Rambo II) once compensated.

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #51,977 of 75,288
Not yet, but I'm considering buying them if they can get a better sound (than Rambo II) once compensated.
Rambo II have better stock sound for sure but EQ-ed...probably not. Wait @Sam_L for confirmation

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #51,978 of 75,288
Does it really reach flagship territory with compensation? If so, isn't that considered a giant killer for 20 USD? Now I'm having a hard time what my next purchase should be - the Datura Pro or a multi-driver IEM I still have yet to have...
I mean it depends on what IEM your thinking 😬 I appreciate the tone more then on my KZ ZS7 (it’s way more consistent sounding) and the technicalities are better then some of the <$50 IEMs I have.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #51,981 of 75,288
Do Rambo II reach the same level than Datura Pro when using your compensation ?
In short, no. The Datura Pro compensated is special because the level of transformation is remarkable. The problem a number of us have in describing what happens with the Datura pro when compensated is that we don't have another example to reference as to how huge the change is. The change is nothing like any of us have experienced with tip rolling, cable swapping, changing earpads, removing filters, adding filters, etc. It's on a completely different level.

@furyossa has a much deeper and broader depth of knowledge concerning all the various earbuds models and drivers out there and I think he summed it up best by describing the difference as a "cinderella transformation." I compiled the file from @cenizas' measurements (his rig measures identically to mine) before actually having the DP in my possession. I was a bit skeptical with @furyossa's assessment because I've known all along how much of an improvement my files can bring to buds. I know what to expect, so I thought @furyossa was just being a bit overly hyped with his first experience with my compensation target. He was not overly hyped. He was being truthful.

I will not say the DP is a TOTL bud with my file just yet because I don't have any TOTL buds (aside from the EM5). But what I can say is that the Datura Pro compensated is a very, very special bud at $26 shipped I wrote a detailed, 3 way comparison between the Smabat s10s silver vs. the Datura Pro vs. the EM5 here.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #51,982 of 75,288
Just answered in my previous reply.

I'll add some more observations regarding the difference between the Rambo II vs the Datura Pro (DP) when both are compensated. By the way, the Datura fits much better than the Rambo II (R2) for me. the Rambo II always feels like they are going to fall out at any moment. I can't even use a higher quality cable on it because the added weight makes the fit even worse for me.

I'm not able to AB test the two buds carefully since I left the DP at home. I have the Rambo II with me though. So from memory:

- The bass on the R2 is cavernous. It's deeper, more resonant, and has more slam than the DP. The DP's bass, compared to the R2, sounds more balanced armature-ish than the R2.
- R2 is a smidge warmer in tonality compared to the DP
- DP is more extended and has better upper region resolution.
- R2 staging is deeper, DP staging is wider
- R2 has a smoother sound profile overall and sounds a bit more musical

The two are very different in sound after compensation, but the DP stands out more than the R2. That said, I still enjoy the R2 immensely for the above reasons. For the R2, the compensated sound justifies the cost, barely (in my opinion.)

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #51,983 of 75,288
That one I am interested too. But not enough sold to have a proper review. I wander why.
They are banned here, so you wont see a review for them on this forum.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #51,984 of 75,288
They are banned here, so you wont see a review for them on this forum.
I warned you about that the other day. You see how easily someone gets caught :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #51,985 of 75,288
I've been listening to the Stellar for the whole day and am close to finishing my write-up. Spoiler: It's REALLY GOOD.

@Sam L these just destroyed the Nameless (stock), particularly in the bass. It's so tight, controlled, and textured. Can't wait for yours to arrive to generate that file 😂

Update: Currently running double foam - more bass quantity without drowning mids and noticeable decrease/smoothening of treble. These feel better than single foam for me and you don't feel the edge of the driver/shell. Not yet sure which set-up I like.
Nice! I'm looking forward to receiving the Stellar's. I'm curious what the channel variance looks like since that can be an issue with mics.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #51,986 of 75,288
Yes. I wouldn’t really go that far with the comparison. DaturoPro of course :yum:
Does it really reach flagship territory with compensation? If so, isn't that considered a giant killer for 20 USD? Now I'm having a hard time what my next purchase should be - the Datura Pro or a multi-driver IEM I still have yet to have...
We have to remember that it's really rather difficult to compare iems to earbuds, very much like comparing iems to headphones. I'm sure if you ask the community at large which is better, the final audio a8000 or Focal Clear or something pricier like the Abyss AB-1266, opinions will be all over the place. I do think that DD IEMs are surging with tons of great options but you'd have to spend at least double the Datura Pro to get something comparable. Recently I got the Penon Fan, which I like tons better than the Tape Pro I got from the 11/11 sale. The compensated Datura Pro are the peers of either of these IEMs, which cost much more.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #51,987 of 75,288
We have to remember that it's really rather difficult to compare iems to earbuds, very much like comparing iems to headphones. I'm sure if you ask the community at large which is better, the final audio a8000 or Focal Clear or something pricier like the Abyss AB-1266, opinions will be all over the place. I do think that DD IEMs are surging with tons of great options but you'd have to spend at least double the Datura Pro to get something comparable. Recently I got the Penon Fan, which I like tons better than the Tape Pro I got from the 11/11 sale. The compensated Datura Pro are the peers of either of these IEMs, which cost much more.
Like I said earlier. It's the same as when you compare :whale: vs :dolphin: vs :shark: each of them has its advantages and disadvantages. It's absurd to compare them by price.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #51,988 of 75,288
I do think that DD IEMs are surging with tons of great options but you'd have to spend at least double the Datura Pro to get something comparable. The compensated Datura Pro are the peers of either of these IEMs, which cost much more.
I'm going to disagree with this. The tone of these newer more neutral tuned $30 DD IEMs are really good stock, and technicality wise I'd say theyre about the same. Though I'm pretty sure if I bring up IEM comparisons one more time, furyossa might actually send a shark to my physical address :tropical_fish:

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #51,989 of 75,288
I'm going to disagree with this. The tone of these newer more neutral tuned $30 DD IEMs are really good stock, and technicality wise I'd say theyre about the same. Though I'm pretty sure if I bring up IEM comparisons one more time, furyossa might actually send a shark to my physical address :tropical_fish:
Be careful what you wish for :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
7472459750_f40e738707.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #51,990 of 75,288
Earbuds vs. IEMs comparison shouldn't really be done as they're both different beasts. The reason I mentioned that vs. is because I've only ever had single-DD IEMs and wanted to try something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back