Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #51,586 of 75,675
Thread heating up quickly, 🍿 🍿🍿 ready.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #51,587 of 75,675
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #51,588 of 75,675
I don't usually use eq, and if I do it is to try recommendations (foobar with mathaudio), but at the end of the day I always listen to the source directly or profitably, I have dap like xduoo x3ii, or sony mw105, tempotec V1, and dac like sonata hd pro, or 9038sg3. But I take into account the recommendations, yingrow rw777 I do not see the diameter, but I have found it. The x6 you have aroused my curiosity, just like the wooden TMusic
Frankly I really don't understand (other than usability, I don't have EQ on my iPod shuffle, for example...) why one wouldn't want to enhance his gear's capacities with EQ?
It's like riding a bike without ever changing gears, just because it's not "pure", that doesn't makes sense to me? :thinking:
If you ever buy Faaeal Datura pro, which I encourage you to do, you'll notice how drastically a gear can transform while using proper EQ, you should try and see by yourself! :L3000:

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #51,589 of 75,675
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #51,590 of 75,675
I have verified with eq how iem and complete headphones that sounded regular can sound good and some that sound good can sound better with eq (with measurements from people who know, if I do it, everything always sounds worse). I mean if I don't use eq, it is for simple convenience.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #51,591 of 75,675
I have verified with eq how iem and complete headphones that sounded regular can sound good and some that sound good can sound better with eq (with measurements from people who know, if I do it, everything always sounds worse). I mean if I don't use eq, it is for simple convenience.
Do as I do, then, let masters (@Sam L of course!) mastering the technique and just use their knowledge and files! :wink:

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #51,592 of 75,675
If you dont know how to eq, it is kinda obvious it wont be good. But used well, you cant tell the difference...

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #51,593 of 75,675
Frankly I really don't understand (other than usability, I don't have EQ on my iPod shuffle, for example...) why one wouldn't want to enhance his gear's capacities with EQ?
It's like riding a bike without ever changing gears, just because it's not "pure", that doesn't makes sense to me? :thinking:
If you ever buy Faaeal Datura pro, which I encourage you to do, you'll notice how drastically a gear can transform while using proper EQ, you should try and see by yourself! :L3000:
I want to mention great potential of Aluminum coating driver. Not to be underestimated at all
He comprobado con eq cΓ³mo iem y unos auriculares completos que sonaban regulares pueden sonar bien y algunos que suenan bien pueden sonar mejor con eq (con medidas de gente que sabe, si lo hago, todo siempre suena peor). Quiero decir, si no uso eq, es por simple conveniencia.
Use Google Translate. It's similar as EQ :grinning:

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #51,594 of 75,675
it was not my intention to open a discussion for or against eq ... but if I know your opinion of headphones that I have no idea.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #51,595 of 75,675
If you dont know how to eq, it is kinda obvious it wont be good. But used well, you cant tell the difference...
I don't like to depend on EQ but if a model has potential and can sound better than I don't see a reason why I wouldn't try it. Also, @Sam_L compensation files are based on real measurement and many times tested Target curve for earbuds

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #51,596 of 75,675
it was not my intention to open a discussion for or against eq ... but if I know your opinion of headphones that I have no idea.
You ask the questions we answer. That's the deal. :wink:
So you have to provide all the necessary information:
- gear that you mostly use (source, DAC, AMP etc.)
- price limit for the earbuds
- type of sound that you're looking for
- low or high impedance model
- whether you use EQ or not
- and most importantly: are you an audiophile or not? :wink:
BTW thank you all for the "HOT" discussion. :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Now I can turn off the heating in the apartment :sweat:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #51,597 of 75,675
You ask the questions we answer. That's the deal. :wink:
So you have to provide all the necessary information.
BTW thank you all for the "HOT" discussion. :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Now I can turn off the heating in the apartment :sweat:
right, I have a good list of shoots, now I have to decide.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #51,599 of 75,675
right, I have a good list of shoots, now I have to decide.
All right, the "case" is closed. :hammer:
You have to understand that each of us has a personal favorite pair of gear and the way he likes to use them, so it's a little hard to be unbiased.
But when the dust comes down then the one who asks always gets the clear answer. But it's up to you to decide anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #51,600 of 75,675
I do find EQ kinda frustrating.. like it weighs over me a bit.
Using headphones as an example... to my ears, my HD599's and HD560s' sound nigh-on identical after using Oratory1990's EQ settings. This makes the HD599's incredible value when seen on sale.

However that's only useful when running from a source which allows parametric EQ control. When I want to run off my PS5 / Series X controllers... all of a sudden stock tuning really matters (in this particular example, I find the HD560s' far superior).

Which brings me to where I am now. Looking for a pair of earbuds with the best stock tuning for this usage... which I can perhaps "tune-up" a little via EQ when listening from other sources (like my Qudelix 5K).

This is proving quite difficult.

Currently considering the:

-Fiio EM5,
-Shozy BK; and
-Moondrop Chaconne (Gen 2)

I also have some Yincrow X6 and RW-9's on order from Aliexpress, which should arrive sometime within the next 1- 9 months. (*sigh*)
But from what I've read so far, if you're usage always allows EQ, the FAAEAL Datura Pro's are hard to beat value-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back