Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #50,462 of 75,542
I'm gonna try installing that Sam L and applying to my B40s, I had Viper4Windows previously but it no longer seems to be working with Windows 10. I'm also hopeless and confused at EQs and stuff so it's nice to just have a visual I can copy.

edit: Tried it, too much treble.
How many times did you press "compress"?

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #50,464 of 75,542
I'm gonna try installing that Sam L and applying to my B40s, I had Viper4Windows previously but it no longer seems to be working with Windows 10. I'm also hopeless and confused at EQs and stuff so it's nice to just have a visual I can copy.

edit: Tried it, too much treble.
Thanks for your feedback. I have two observations:

1. I've noticed that the peq files sometimes do not provide good results in peace/apo. With the wavelet files, the general consensus is the sweet spot across all the earbud models is 40% to 75% eq strength. I expect for some earbuds that the same approach would be required with the peq settings in peace. This means the "compress" button has to be pressed anywhere from 2 to 7 times to achieve that "sweet spot," depending on how much is being corrected.

2. There's some wonkiness in my measurements of the b40 in the upper treble region that is resulting in an over-correction. I'll likely have to re-measure the b40, but I'll hold off until my non-mic version arrives via aliexpress. Additionally, I might also have to apply general tweaks to4 the 3k to 4k area and 9k region for the version 1.6 target curve.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #50,465 of 75,542
Some more frequency responses
Edifier H180:
Edifier H180.jpg

Tingo TC200/Fengru SIlver:
Tingo TC200.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #50,466 of 75,542
Some more frequency responses
Edifier H180:
Edifier H180.jpg
Tingo TC200/Fengru SIlver:
Tingo TC200.jpg

For the Tingo TC200, is the 6 kHz area a coupler resonsance peak?

Anyways I think Tingo TC200 has good imaging and soundstage and tonality, but a dealbreaker for me is that I find its timbre for acoustic instruments quite artificial. Might be a good set for all other genres other than those that have predominantly acoustic instruments. I know it is being hyped to the moon in some other earbuds FB threads, but unfortunately I listen to a lot of jazz and classical, so it gets the least airtime of my earbuds.

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #50,467 of 75,542

Anyways I think Tingo TC200 has good imaging and soundstage and tonality, but a dealbreaker for me is that I find its timbre for acoustic instruments quite artificial. Might be a good set for all other genres other than those that have predominantly acoustic instruments. I know it is being hyped to the moon in some other earbuds FB threads, but unfortunately I listen to a lot of jazz and classical, so it gets the least airtime of my earbuds.
Hello
I am new with this earbuds
I would like your suggestions with the beginner earbuds sub 50 with nice (accurate) timbre for jazz and acoustic
Right now I am using the kbear stellar and prefer it's shape (MX500?)
Thanks in advance
Added
I also have the smabat m1 pro but I don't like the shape 😕

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #50,468 of 75,542
Hello
I would like your suggestions with the beginner earbuds sub 50 with nice (accurate) timbre for jazz and acoustic
Thanks in advance
Added

Haha maybe the rest can give their advise too as I'm rather new to earbuds (less than 1 year experience with em). I like KBear stellar too, very good value for the price.

Some sets u can read about would be the BK2, RY4S 300 ohm, Faaeal Datura Pro. I find the timbre on those rather good for sub $20 usd.
@KeyStar has good things to say about the beryllium wooden earbud ($13 usd normally, but can be lower during sales). I bought one on 11/11, still waiting for it with anticipation.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #50,469 of 75,542
Hello
Thanks in advance
Added

Earbuds for jazz and acoustic with MX500-type shells for sub $50, I can recommend the yincrow rw-9 (about $18), which is the smooth and sophisticated version of the Vido family (KBear stellar, NICEHCK traceless, yincrow X6).
If you want to buy it, be quick about it as it is no longer in production.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #50,470 of 75,542
Hello
Thanks in advance
Added
Well because you love the MX500 shell type there is a great deal of choice but for your needs there are plenty of buds that you will be happy with and the stellar was a good choice as it has a great timbre and a slightly vido sound to them they certainly are good but poor cableing to the bud as it's s bit thin.
Also with earbuds its not you have to spend a fortune to get great sound..infact the sound benefits are minimal as you go up the price scale but there a few that are amazing.
My recs for you for jazz,acoustic.

RY4S.

YINCROW X6.

FAAEAL Rosemary 150ohms (Amping needed to make these shine.)

FAAEALSnow-lotus 1.0+/1.0 Plus Blue Commemorative Edition.

TMUSIC Earphones Beryllium Diaphragm Wired Bass Earbuds (wooden)..these have a great all-round sound and bass..yes decent bass on an earbud my favourite new earbud in a longtime.
They also have a more expensive grapheme version that may have potential.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #50,471 of 75,542
Haha maybe the rest can give their advise too as I'm rather new to earbuds (less than 1 year experience with em). I like KBear stellar too, very good value for the price.

Some sets u can read about would be the BK2, RY4S 300 ohm, Faaeal Datura Pro. I find the timbre on those rather good for sub $20 usd.
@KeyStar has good things to say about the beryllium wooden earbud ($13 usd normally, but can be lower during sales). I bought one on 11/11, still waiting for it with anticipation.
Thanks!

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #50,472 of 75,542
Earbuds for jazz and acoustic with MX500-type shells for sub $50, I can recommend the yincrow rw-9 (about $18), which is the smooth and sophisticated version of the Vido family (KBear stellar, NICEHCK traceless, yincrow X6).
Thanks!
I buy one now!

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #50,473 of 75,542

No it's not, that's just the character of the bud. I also find the midrange tonality weird, I think that 6k peak followed by a treble shelf is doing that, technically it's ok, but similarly it doesn't get much eartime on my end due to the off timbre and tonality. Maybe eq can fix it since the driver seems quite capable.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #50,474 of 75,542
Yes the RW9 is a great bud I have days I like it more that the X6 and days when the X6 has the upper hand.🙂

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #50,475 of 75,542
No it's not, that's just the character of the bud. I also find the midrange tonality weird, I think that 6k peak followed by a treble shelf is doing that, technically it's ok, but similarly it doesn't get much eartime on my end due to the off timbre and tonality. Maybe eq can fix it since the driver seems quite capable.

K thanks for the input. Ya i tried EQing the Tingo TC200, it can take EQ well, but EQ doesn't fix the timbre. If a flute don't sound like a flute, it doesn't haha. Will probably sell it away.

Anyways wanna say appreciate yours and @Sam L 's earbud EQs and graphs and all the good advise about buds from the rest of the folks in this thread. I have to say this earbuds thread is one of the most helpful and friendly threads here on headfi.

Good thing about buds is the entry level is so low compared to other transducers, like even $1 can give happiness in the vido. Sub $20 can give superb sound and there's so many options and unknown gems to unearth on places like taobao and aliexpress. Even TOTL buds (which admittedly i haven't tried) can be gotten at $100 - 200, which would be entry midfi level for IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back