Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 23, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #49,366 of 75,871
Sadly, don't have the black/gold. I should of picked up that version instead of the black/silver. These were my 2nd buds ever, after picking up the snow lotus 1+ off of amazon to get my feet wet in the buds world.

However, I'm quite certain the black/gold aren't close to the em5. The em5 have insane bass detail and presence (not overpowering but complex). The soundstage is also on another level w/ the em5

K cause of the folks who own both Black Gold and Black Silver, they say the Black Silver is a downgrade.

When amped, the Black Gold has almost jaw rattling subbass, I never ever thought the day would come when I can hear this kinda subbass in a earbud! Basshead approved for sure.
Though maybe the bass isn't that textured and detailed as some IEMs I have used, but still better than some midfi earbuds I've tried. SMABAT ST10S Black Gold' soundstage isn't the best in a earbud, but it has excellent technical performance.

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #49,367 of 75,871
Finally an earbud that has proper subbass and it's deemed a basshead earbud :)

I think the ST10s is great with the eq fixes. Wish they toned down that 2K spike. Seems to be a problem on a lot of earbuds though, which is why I love the general tonality of the yincrow x6 since it sounds very proper to me even if it's a tad low resolution.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #49,368 of 75,871
Try my EQ for ST-10s (gold anyway) This is a 10-band eq preset

Screenshot 2020-09-22 155931.png

I'm guessing the gray line is the measurement without EQ of your ST-10S black/gold.

Measured my original ST-10 and it doesn't seem to have as sharp of a 2k spike, nor as compressed looking between 1k & 3k.

Smabat ST-10 45Ω Original v1.jpg
Granted this is on my homemade earbud coupler and IMM-6. (7k is the resonant frequency on it.)

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #49,369 of 75,871
A quick word on the K's Nameless. My early impression of them is that they're bloody fantastic! I started auditioning them 2 nights ago and have yet to switch to any other buds. Prior to that, I was using my old VE Monk + (for nostalgia's sake) and right off the bat I could perceive that the K's Nameless sounded more energetic & lively using the same upstream gear & source. Everything sounds just so right with the K's Nameless. When I use them, I stopped fiddling around with my gear, my playlists (stopped skipping tracks and saying 'nah these don't work with this music genre), etc. I just leave everything be & started enjoying the music more (something we should all probably do?).

TL;DR The K's Nameless are just very great sounding buds! I have yet to find a glaring shortcoming with them...in fact, it's pretty safe to say I think that they might not have any. Subtle ones, perhaps yes...but they're not overly glaring.

For the price I paid (south of USD$2), pretty bang for buck I'd say! I recommend anyone on the fence about getting the K's Nameless to just go ahead & buy 'em. These deserved to be hyped more, IMHO.

Of course, YMMV.

Where did you pick these up for 2 usd ?

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #49,370 of 75,871
Finally an earbud that has proper subbass and it's deemed a basshead earbud :)

I think the ST10s is great with the eq fixes. Wish they toned down that 2K spike. Seems to be a problem on a lot of earbuds though, which is why I love the general tonality of the yincrow x6 since it sounds very proper to me even if it's a tad low resolution.
Yeah, that 8db cut from 2khz is absolutely essential to making them sound less odd. I think they need some more burn, they still sound mediocre at best to me coming from IEMs.

I actually still like the me80 much better as of today. Would love to get another set and recable them with mmcx so I can use them with a 4.4mm cable to get my balanced power into them....

But, overall, I think this will probably be the extent of my descent into buds. I just can't get on board with the lack of... Fullness to the sound in comparison to IEMs.

Different strokes for different folks, but these are not for me, there just is too much musical information missing from how they fit. I'd love if they made xelastec bud covers, that might help a bit. But 3 pairs of buds in, plus accessories, for $125 was a worthwhile expense to see what it's all about and get me through this working from home business....

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #49,373 of 75,871
Yeah, that 8db cut from 2khz is absolutely essential to making them sound less odd. I think they need some more burn, they still sound mediocre at best to me coming from IEMs.

I actually still like the me80 much better as of today. Would love to get another set and recable them with mmcx so I can use them with a 4.4mm cable to get my balanced power into them....

But, overall, I think this will probably be the extent of my descent into buds. I just can't get on board with the lack of... Fullness to the sound in comparison to IEMs.

Different strokes for different folks, but these are not for me, there just is too much musical information missing from how they fit. I'd love if they made xelastec bud covers, that might help a bit. But 3 pairs of buds in, plus accessories, for $125 was a worthwhile expense to see what it's all about and get me through this working from home business....
I've reached the same conclusion, you really can't expect true high fidelity from earbuds, you gotta have some sort of seal around your ears (or just flood the environment with speakers), else you'll be dealing with some bleed in sound pressure. I'm pretty happy with my bk2 and rambo2, and from what I'm reading there really isn't much further to go, even looking at expensive stuff. If I could slap the bk2 timbre on the rambo2 I'd be totally done.

I'll probably still pick up some cheap buds for fun but I feel I understand the limits of what earbuds can offer.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #49,374 of 75,871
I'm guessing the gray line is the measurement without EQ of your ST-10S black/gold.

Measured my original ST-10 and it doesn't seem to have as sharp of a 2k spike, nor as compressed looking between 1k & 3k.

Smabat ST-10 45Ω Original v1.jpg
Granted this is on my homemade earbud coupler and IMM-6. (7k is the resonant frequency on it.)

Nice. I am using a standard IEC711 coupler with the earbud add-on to measure with a piece of tape to hold it down with very light pressure. I havnt tried to measure with IMM6 though I do have one. They do measure a little differently after 1-3KHz range and onward and depends a lot on how you couple it.

Xelastec ear bud covers.... that would be interesting! The ST-10S does come with silicone covers, but I feel like the tiny little holes arent letting enough sound through, and makes it muffled sounding.

I definitely prefer the sound of IEMs and headphones over earbuds many times over, but there is some convenience of the ear bud's quick in and out and openness that an IEM cant replicate.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #49,375 of 75,871
one more for rambo 2 owners with an android 9+ device.

wavelet compensation file

Attachments

• isn rambo 2 oratory.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #49,376 of 75,871
Yes, it's exactly the one in the link. I'm still very early on in my usage of the Nameless, and it's been a while since I've listened to the Sharp MD. Will need some more time before I can give detailed comparisons. All I can say for now is that the Nameless sounds really good. The specific nuances will have to come later.

So, these are the ones that you got: https://shopee.ph/product/43253829/5851316853?smtt=0.0.9

And these are the ones that I got: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001304427737.html

I didn't think buds could be more "nameless" then yours are, but apparently mine fit that criteria!

They do visually look the same though, so here's to hoping they sound the same!

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #49,377 of 75,871
Alright wow, simply WOW!

@antdroid Your Yincrow X6 rec is spot on!
Holy crap that bass! AND WITHOUT KILLING THE TIMBRE OR TONALITY THAT EVEN THE DQSM TURANDOT DOES!!

From my short listening with my newest buds, I would say the order is like this:

K Nameless < K Bell-LB < NiceHCK B40 < Yincrow X6

The Nameless sounds like a budget Bell-LB, that is warm.

Bell-LB has better quality and technicalities but most noticeably more air than the nameless, the best value is obviously the nameless and a steal if you can get it at the 2 (?) usd price.

B40 sounds like a warmer and trades the air for bass, in the NiceHCK MX500.

X6.....I will 100% review this, hehe :smirk:

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #49,378 of 75,871
Alright wow, simply WOW!

@antdroid Your Yincrow X6 rec is spot on!
Holy crap that bass! AND WITHOUT KILLING THE TIMBRE OR TONALITY THAT EVEN THE DQSM TURANDOT DOES!!

From my short listening with my newest buds, I would say the order is like this:

K Nameless < K Bell-LB < NiceHCK B40 < Yincrow X6

The Nameless sounds like a budget Bell-LB, that is warm.

Bell-LB has better quality and technicalities but most noticeably more air than the nameless, the best value is obviously the nameless and a steal if you can get it at the 2 (?) usd price.

B40 sounds like a warmer and trades the air for bass, in the NiceHCK MX500.

X6.....I will 100% review this, hehe :smirk:

Still waiting for the X6 killer that I do not have to EQ :)

I may pick up that ME10 and try it out.

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #49,379 of 75,871
Still waiting for the X6 killer that I do not have to EQ :)

I may pick up that ME10 and try it out.
ME10?

I wonder if there is a 4.4mm version on the X6 though...

Sep 23, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #49,380 of 75,871
@antdroid check out the bk2 if you're willing to spend the $22, I'm really impressed with the timbre. Not sure if I'm crazy or what, but I prefer it over everything else in my signature save for the ER2XR, and even then I think it puts up an honest fight, BK2 sounds somewhat lighter and maybe thinner. Unfortunately it has pretty bad staging that tends to kill off any air or subbass. But it can really shred the upper bass and mids imo. I'd like to hear contesting opinions on it.

I've been emailing the manufacturer to try and find out what material it uses for the diaphragm to no avail. AK Audio on aliexpress says they think it might be titanium, but didn't know for sure.

Edit: also has decent tuning, Sam posted a fr of it a few pages back. Doesn't really need any eq, maybe cut the midbass a few db.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back