Earbuds Round-Up
May 24, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #48,001 of 75,422
DSC_0008.jpg

Enjoying these right now: ST-10S Back Gold + short balanced cable + FiiO BTR3K.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #48,002 of 75,422
What mmcx cable do you use? Could you send the name and link where to buy?

May 24, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #48,003 of 75,422
[QUOTE="ClieOS, post: 15634589, member: 11725"

[/QUOTE]

How are you liking them? Would they make your top five earbuds list? Are there any noticeable sound differences vs the Silver model? TIA and sorry for that many questions but these have caught my attention.

May 24, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #48,004 of 75,422
Hello. I ordered in the smabat st10s (silver black) yesterday for use with my phone on a recommendation. I undertsand the gold are supposed to be better but have a high impedence which may not be ideal for a phone output so I went with the 40ohm version. My current buds are the yuin pk2. What can I expect going from the pk2 to the st10s? Am I headed in the right direction? At triple the price I'm hoping for a noticeable improvement.

May 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #48,005 of 75,422
What mmcx cable do you use? Could you send the name and link where to buy?

Made it myself, using 28AWG silver plated 6N UPOCC cables

How are you liking them? Would they make your top five earbuds list? Are there any noticeable sound differences vs the Silver model? TIA and sorry for that many questions but these have caught my attention.

This definitely belongs to my ToTL earbuds collection, but I don't keep a top 5 list these days.

The Black SIlver version just got a re-tuning as of May - I have a new version coming in but it will not reach me for a couple more days because of local holidays.

May 24, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #48,006 of 75,422
The Black SIlver version just got a re-tuning as of May - I have a new version coming in but it will not reach me for a couple more days because of local holidays.
How to distinguish the version of the Black Silver and Black Silver new tuning? will there be another name? it’s not right in relation to the buyer to leave the same name

May 24, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #48,007 of 75,422
How to distinguish the version of the Black Silver and Black Silver new tuning? will there be another name? it’s not right in relation to the buyer to leave the same name

As far as I know, there is no way to tell them apart. But for what I do know, all Black SIlver manufactured since May should have the new tuning. Again, I haven't received the new Black Silver yet, so I have no idea whether the new tuning is actually significantly different from the old tuning or not.

May 24, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #48,008 of 75,422
As far as I know, there is no way to tell them apart. But for what I do know, all Black SIlver manufactured since May should have the new tuning. Again, I haven't received the new Black Silver yet, so I have no idea whether the new tuning is actually significantly different from the old tuning or not.
I had Green and I have Black Gold now. I read on the site Penon information that Black Silver has a warm sound compared to Black Gold. Is it true?
Screenshot_20200524-221849.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #48,009 of 75,422
I had Green and I have Black Gold now. I read on the site Penon information that Black Silver has a warm sound compared to Black Gold. Is it true?

The original Black Silver, yes. It is mostly neutral but tilting toward a warm and smooth presentation.

May 24, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #48,010 of 75,422
I got my s10s silver blacks in from amazon today with high hopes. Tried them with my phone with foam covers as recommended. They do have a bit of low end which is nice but the high frequencies sound like they're coming from a drive through speaker at jack n the box. Tried them with my d90 dac and thx 789 amp on low gain to confirm. Same thing. Maybe it's the fit? Couldn't quite cram them in my ear holes but when I apply pressure they sound better. Bummer.

EDIT: Having them in just right without foam with the equalizer on hip hop mode makes a big difference. Still deciding.

EDIT 2: EQ and fit seem to be everything with these earbuds. After tuning and getting the fit as close as possible the sound is pretty good. I thought they needed less treble but they ended up best with a V shape tuning. Now they have detail and good bass. Really surprised how much help they needed to sound right but the drivers themselves seem capable.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #48,011 of 75,422
I would say those two or pretty much on top when it comes to totl earbuds. But you might want to also consider how much you want to spend last time I spoke to Herry from cypherusaudio he said the red dragon was at a thousand USD and well the Dragon 3 is 500 if I remember correctly. I have not heard either but they are very well spoken of in the earbud community.
Thank. When I last corresponded with Henry, the red dragon cost $ 600 or 650, was close in signature to the HD800. And what other totl can you name besides these two? Can there be reliable ratings? I have a JH-16, but I want no less detail in a bigger stage.

May 25, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #48,014 of 75,422
May 25, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #48,015 of 75,422
I got my s10s silver blacks in from amazon today with high hopes. Tried them with my phone with foam covers as recommended. They do have a bit of low end which is nice but the high frequencies sound like they're coming from a drive through speaker at jack n the box. Tried them with my d90 dac and thx 789 amp on low gain to confirm. Same thing. Maybe it's the fit? Couldn't quite cram them in my ear holes but when I apply pressure they sound better. Bummer.

EDIT: Having them in just right without foam with the equalizer on hip hop mode makes a big difference. Still deciding.

EDIT 2: EQ and fit seem to be everything with these earbuds. After tuning and getting the fit as close as possible the sound is pretty good. I thought they needed less treble but they ended up best with a V shape tuning. Now they have detail and good bass. Really surprised how much help they needed to sound right but the drivers themselves seem capable.
How does it compare to your yuin PK2 ? I use PK2 now, and consider to buy st10s black silver. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back