Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #45,226 of 75,279
Your best bet is to EQ down the target area, or buy a new earbud with less sibilance.
My first choice is always EQ - it's Effective and Quick! :wink:

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #45,228 of 75,279
Your best bet is to EQ down the target area, or buy a new earbud with less sibilance.

Or to EQ up the target area! For example, I use the Radsone E100's "Bass Boost" EQ setting for the B40's and a few other buds.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #45,229 of 75,279
Or to EQ up the target area! For example, I use the Radsone E100's "Bass Boost" EQ setting for the B40's and a few other buds.
If he's trying to reduce sibilance I think EQing down that area would be advisable.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #45,230 of 75,279
If he's trying to reduce sibilance I think EQing down that area would be advisable.

You're right of course. I was just jumping in, making a comment that was not really germane to the current conversation in order to confuse and obfuscate lol :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #45,231 of 75,279
Received my TO200, what can I say, well first the cable is not very pleasing (very plastic). I'll swap it for a **** 6 cores asap.

But apart from that, which isn't a turnoff given it's rather cheap, the sound is good. It doesn't have nearly as much clarity as my EBX, but the bass is almost as fast and resolving, while mids/trebles are immensely less fatiguing. Good choice for work, can listen to that 8 hours long no problem.

Treble is on the subdued side, but with donuts it's enough for me, I really don't want more. With full foams it's slightly not enough, for me.

So it's a good middle ground between my KB2 which have comfortable mids and treble, but slow/boomy bass, and the EBX which is very resolving, and has super fast/textured bass, but lacks bass quantity.

My smartphone drives it fine, which surprises me a bit as it's 200ohms, but sensitivity is high (113db/MW), still it benefits from being paired with my zishan DSD pro that has way more power.

A characteristic that I like with what I consider good IEMS/earbuds (KPE, KB100...) is that I can pump the volume and it doesn't get harsh at all, quite the opposite in fact, it just sounds better and better. Which is something I can't say of the various KZs, for example.

Good set for 37€ imo.

I was disapointed with the EBX at first, but now I find its 77€ price is kind of justified given the resolving aptitudes, and superb cable, easily worth 30€ alone. It's just a "critical listening" set with all that implies, while I expected a daily driver (it's not).

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #45,232 of 75,279
You're right of course. I was just jumping in, making a comment that was not really germane to the current conversation in order to confuse and obfuscate lol :wink:
Carry on then xD

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #45,234 of 75,279
Friends, do you use EQ in all kinds of situations?

I always read that to appreciate the tuning and work of the sound engineer, it is necessary not to use any kind of modification.

Many people do not use EQ. I am one of them. I just let the gear be what it is.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #45,235 of 75,279
You could also try opening it up and reducing the tuning foam to increase the frequency below 2khz which would help balance the sound
Interesting, so to increase bass, the key is to reduce some tuning cotton from drivers? this is strange because in all my DIY tries I conclued the contrary (at least in my MX500 mods), if I generally remove all the tuning foams attached on drivers, there is much less bass (as less tight/pressure) and soundstage becomes rough, due to too much opened holes at the same time (from shells side).

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #45,236 of 75,279

I always read that to appreciate the tuning and work of the sound engineer, it is necessary not to use any kind of modification.
I rather mod first and EQ later if needed because EQ only fits to specific sources and doesn't fix every issue (although it can fix a lot of issues).

But saying that you shouldn't EQ because that's not what the sound engineer intended is not something I agree with. The guys tuning the earbud have a specific preference, if you like it cool if not then there's no reason you shouldn't EQ to fit your own preference.

And the sound engineers mastering tracks, don't they use EQ themselves when mastering? They try to work with the 'most common tuning' to suit consumer gear. So naturally most modern music is tuned treble heavy because most consumer gear is bassy heavy. They try to balance it out.

Well mastered stuff should sound the best on neutral gear, but of course neutral is also debated and we all hear different.

So EQ to your hearts content if you want, that's what I'll say!

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #45,237 of 75,279

When you consider all the variables involved in using earphones (see below, I'm sure there are others) it is isn't realistic to assume you are hearing exactly the "work of the sound engineer":
  • Source file/physical medium
  • DAC
  • Amplifier
  • Cable
  • Shell
  • Driver
  • Manufacturer's tuning
  • Foam
  • Fit
All of the above can affect the sound produced by the earphones. With all this in mind, I prefer to use EQ to tune the 'output' to suit my tastes. I have found some really good (and cheap) gems* by applying EQ that others might disregard because they take the sound at face value.

(* The latest being the £4 Mixx Tribute recently suggested by the Flying Panda Twins. I'll try to describe them more fully in due course.)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #45,238 of 75,279
Interesting, so to increase bass, the key is to reduce some tuning cotton from drivers? this is strange because in all my DIY tries I conclued the contrary (at least in my MX500 mods), if I generally remove all the tuning foams attached on drivers, there is much less bass (as less tight/pressure) and soundstage becomes rough, due to too much opened holes at the same time (from shells side).
I think some quantity of foam is necessary for the earbud to work properly, either on the drivers or on the vents. But my experience is that if you keep adding more to the vents it will flat out the sound in the expense of bass extension and clarity. Basically reduces all frequencies below 3-4k with the most effect on mid/upper bass while smoothing out upper mids/lower highs around 2-4k. For example I have 3 different sounding vidos and the only real difference between them is the thickness of foam on the vents. The one with the thickest foam (y-blue) sounds flattest with shallowest bass muddiest mids while the one with thinnest foam (new white) is the most V shaped with deepest bass.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #45,239 of 75,279

don't take that as fixed thing. the only way to listen to their original intent is to sit in their specific spot in their studio. take a few meters off the spot, and that sound is basically different.

sounds engineers use of EQ when they mix/master is the product of many compromises: the players, the album sound direction, what the producer think, and also menial human things like what songs/sound systems currently listening to, their current mood and health at the time, etc, etc.

many of them when hearing their past work would mix them again based on their latest taste

the only thing that limits them is time. give eternity to them, and they'll mix/master their work endlessly..or at least until they're just got tired of it.

so just use EQ freely based on what you want to hear

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #45,240 of 75,279
Many people do not use EQ. I am one of them. I just let the gear be what it is.

in all regards, when we collect many earphones and use them to listen to a song, we are basically using EQ with that earphone :ksc75smile:. i do like to listen to the same album with different earphones on each pass, so i can get different feel and nuances every time.

i do agree, if we have access to multiple different earphones, it's better to swap gears and use no EQ. but when i travel and only bring one earphone, i would definitely use EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back