Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 1, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #45,122 of 75,341
Your description of Ti7 vs ACG is very accurate. So it is when you talk about darkness or foams. I own both and it's really like you say, both in the Ti7 mids and in the high ACG zone. The bass is almost the same. In order to acquire the ACG it is necessary to have clear that its major emphasis is placed in the mids and highs.

For anyone who wants to read my humble opinion, about the ACG vs Ti7, here I left a small comparison:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ourart-acg.23536/reviews#review-22119
So I take it you prefer the Ti7? Just how bright is the ACG? From your comparison, I think I would go with the Ti7.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #45,123 of 75,341
Your description of Ti7 vs ACG is very accurate. So it is when you talk about darkness or foams. I own both and it's really like you say, both in the Ti7 mids and in the high ACG zone. The bass is almost the same. In order to acquire the ACG it is necessary to have clear that its major emphasis is placed in the mids and highs.

For anyone who wants to read my humble opinion, about the ACG vs Ti7, here I left a small comparison:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ourart-acg.23536/reviews#review-22119

With a full foam, as opposed to the supplied donuts, I find I am lucky and do get a really good seal with the Ourart ACG. So for me they have good bass which has extended over a little time. The treble unusually has some pleasant sparkle which I tend to even raise a little as it is non-fatiguing using a NICEHCK 16 core copper, silver, mmcx cable . They are way better than most of my IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #45,124 of 75,341
Meh, finally got my EBX and I'm disappointed so far, compared to the raving reviews.

Yes, the bass is extremely controlled and precise. Yes, it has immense clarity. But jeez, is it fatiguing.

It's bearable with double foams, but still had to go back to my 20€ BK2 after a few hours, couldn't take the screaming saxophone anymore.

BK2 has less precise bass, but adequate quantity, while EBX is clearly lacking in that department, which doesn't help either with the overly forward mids.

Either most reviewers are deaf and have no idea about balance, timbre (oh the **** good reviews, lol) or I'm more sensitive than most, idk
Meh, finally got my EBX and I'm disappointed so far, compared to the raving reviews.

Yes, the bass is extremely controlled and precise. Yes, it has immense clarity. But jeez, is it fatiguing.

It's bearable with double foams, but still had to go back to my 20€ BK2 after a few hours, couldn't take the screaming saxophone anymore.

BK2 has less precise bass, but adequate quantity, while EBX is clearly lacking in that department, which doesn't help either with the overly forward mids.

Either most reviewers are deaf and have no idea about balance, timbre (oh the **** good reviews, lol) or I'm more sensitive than most, idk
Not a fan of overly bright sounding earbuds either. You really have to read between the lines when looking at reviews. Any earbuds decribed as 'super clear' or 'extremely detailed' are usually bright tuned. Especially if the bass and low mids are subdued which is the case a lot of the time.

I draw the line at stuff like the penon bs1 official which has a slight bump around 3-5khz but doesn't recessed the low mids and has enough bass quantity to balance the sound out. But that's with just a single full foam which gives it a warm smooth balance. If an earbud needs double foams just to avoid harsh treble I'd say the tuning is not ideal...

Too dark doesn't do it for me either, but that's the lesser of two evils and I can tolerate a dark earbud and even enjoy it sometimes.

If its bright and lean its not for me!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #45,125 of 75,341
Not a fan of overly bright sounding earbuds either. You really have to read between the lines when looking at reviews. Any earbuds decribed as 'super clear' or 'extremely detailed' are usually bright tuned. Especially if the bass and low mids are subdued which is the case a lot of the time.

I draw the line at stuff like the penon bs1 official which has a slight bump around 3-5khz but doesn't recessed the low mids and has enough bass quantity to balance the sound out. But that's with just a single full foam which gives it a warm smooth balance. If an earbud needs double foams just to avoid harsh treble I'd say the tuning is not ideal...

Too dark doesn't do it for me either, but that's the lesser of two evils and I can tolerate a dark earbud and even enjoy it sometimes.

Very useful tips, yes indeed next time I see even a single review mentioning that it "could be very slightly bright for a few over-sensitive people" I'll know it's a strong pass :)

I'm not a fan of too dark either, but would take it any day over bright, forward. I begin to "see" that what I should be looking for in reviews is "effortless" as it seems to suit my preference.

Hurts a bit at 77€, wouldn't have cared too much at 20 but c'est la vie.

I wonder if there are Harman tuned earbuds out there, as it's by far my preferred tuning for iems.

(Also note for self, 4th ***yoo product that I find absolutely perfect for the price, 8 core, 6 core, BK2, V2 rev3; while it's the second nicehck product that I find is overrated and sucks, 16 core and EBX, here on EBX the finition is atrocious, lots of dings on the shells, should just stay away from some brands)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #45,126 of 75,341

Where would you put RY4S UE on the brightness scale personally? I find it very bright, depending on the source almost at the edge of tolerable. I wouldn't use it for long term but I respect it for its wide frequency coverage and high fidelity for the price. I use it as a reference point for comparison (at least until b40 arrives) along with my Takstar pro80 (which is slightly darker more v shaped), this is the main reason I'm interested. I'm especially torn between the 8-10k range brightness vs darkness, I mean which is actually more natural or enjoyable. I also noticed that a lot of people including myself tend to use the term brightness in different contexts. For example bright mids could mean an emphasis on the upper range, bright highs could mean excessive power above 7-8k or simply a bright earbud could even mean a bass light signature with perfectly fine mids and highs.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #45,127 of 75,341
Surprised you can use the SL 1.0+ without foams. It's quiet emphasised in the treble area.

I found even with full foams it lacked bass depth but the treble was still present and well extended. Wasn't my favourite bud with full foams but I wouldn't enjoy it foamless for sure.
I agree that they are very treble heavy. The bass was what made me start experimenting with foams. Full foams made it very dull sounding and donuts made the bass very bloated and just impossible to enjoy. I have quite a few earbuds that are neutral and a few that are bassy...so I made this one my treble "sparkly" set. The bass issue is really not solvable in my opinion. Naked, the bass is non existent but with the VE wings there's at least a little better seal and a tiny pop in the bass right around the top end of a bass drum. I've heard some amazing imaging things (anomalies?) with this pair of buds that I've never heard with any other set so they'll always have a place in my rotation but they definitely couldn't be my only pair.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #45,128 of 75,341
Where would you put RY4S UE on the brightness scale personally? I find it very bright, depending on the source almost at the edge of tolerable. I wouldn't use it for long term but I respect it for its wide frequency coverage and high fidelity for the price. I use it as a reference point for comparison (at least until b40 arrives) along with my Takstar pro80 (which is slightly darker more v shaped), this is the main reason I'm interested. I'm especially torn between the 8-10k range brightness vs darkness, I mean which is actually more natural or enjoyable. I also noticed that a lot of people including myself tend to use the term brightness in different contexts. For example bright mids could mean an emphasis on the upper range, bright highs could mean excessive power above 7-8k or simply a bright earbud could even mean a bass light signature with perfectly fine mids and highs.
True I think its better to talk in terms of general frequency range if possible and use the most basic wording you can so there can be a universal understanding of what you're trying to describe. The RY4S as I hear it has a few issues which make it hard to listen to on poorly mastered tracks or just in general for longer sessions.

- The mids around 1khz-3khz are too forward (emphasised) in contrast with the low mids. Vocals can sound a bit nasal or overly agressive at times. This also gives me the impression of a narrow soundstage.

- The low mids take a dip, there's just not enough balance from 300hz up to that 1khz mark and beyond so the contrast between the low mids and middle-upper mids is very grateingn.

- The treble region is a little peaky at some places, but not terrible. I definitely find the midrange issues are the main cause for the 'brightness' you hear.

- The bass is a bit underemphasised, it's well defined but lacks impact depth in its stock tuning. It doesn't balance out quiet enough with mids and treble for me.

So yeah I was taken along with the initial hype but it's got flaws that I cant overlook ad are difficult to fix with simple re-tuning.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #45,129 of 75,341
I agree that they are very treble heavy. The bass was what made me start experimenting with foams. Full foams made it very dull sounding and donuts made the bass very bloated and just impossible to enjoy. I have quite a few earbuds that are neutral and a few that are bassy...so I made this one my treble "sparkly" set. The bass issue is really not solvable in my opinion. Naked, the bass is non existent but with the VE wings there's at least a little better seal and a tiny pop in the bass right around the top end of a bass drum. I've heard some amazing imaging things (anomalies?) with this pair of buds that I've never heard with any other set so they'll always have a place in my rotation but they definitely couldn't be my only pair.
i thought they sounded a bit like Beyer dt1350's without the awesome bass quality depth (which is a deal breaker for this kind of sound).

I couldn't get the bass to improve with modding but im not an expert in sound or anything. It's just a subdued and kinda flabby bass response to be honest.

The best part of the SL 1.0+ is the upper treble and upper mids which are very articulate and neutral, maybe slightly bumped in the upper treble as it sounded . But I was sorely missing more bass quality and quantity.

It could do with a touch more low mids too to bring out the weight in vocals but I could live with it's stock sound if the bass was better.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #45,130 of 75,341
Yesterday arrived the second unit of NiceHCK B40. Compared to the unit i have been using for two weeks and is still in the natural recording process, the new ones feature a small, impact-free sound. This way, i can assure friends that the burning process improves this bud.

This is new to me, because i didn't think a PK capsule and a smaller driver (14.8 mm) could provide adequate bass with good impact and extension, as there is here.

And about the war against the RY4S, Qian25, Qian69 and White Vido, i'm almost convinced that the best definition, image and soundstage is in the B40.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #45,131 of 75,341
True I think its better to talk in terms of general frequency range if possible and use the most basic wording you can so there can be a universal understanding of what you're trying to describe. The RY4S as I hear it has a few issues which make it hard to listen to on poorly mastered tracks or just in general for longer sessions.

- The mids around 1khz-3khz are too forward (emphasised) in contrast with the low mids. Vocals can sound a bit nasal or overly agressive at times. This also gives me the impression of a narrow soundstage.

- The low mids take a dip, there's just not enough balance from 300hz up to that 1khz mark and beyond so the contrast between the low mids and middle-upper mids is very grateingn.

- The treble region is a little peaky at some places, but not terrible. I definitely find the midrange issues are the main cause for the 'brightness' you hear.

- The bass is a bit underemphasised, it's well defined but lacks impact depth in its stock tuning. It doesn't balance out quiet enough with mids and treble for me.

So yeah I was taken along with the initial hype but it's got flaws that I cant overlook ad are difficult to fix with simple re-tuning.
Thanks for your impressions :) It's interesting because in my noob measurements which are kinda imitate the natural seal of earbuds and provide a faithful graph to what I hear subjectively, my RY4S UE is quite flat up until about 1.8-2k. But from 2k to about 4.5k the response climbs up by extra 6-7dB where there is a peak and roughly stays at +4dB level up until 12-14k. So basically from 2k upwards everything is elevated by an extra 4-5db compared to the fairly flat response below. I would say this should be quite accurate with my copy because as soon as I pulled down the 3-10k region with EQ concentrated on the 3k-5k range everything started to sound a lot better. Bass could be elevated too of course to get a good impact but I'd say its pretty flat and well extended for an earbud, which is of course not everyone's cup of tea but the main problem is just the relative level compared to the elevated 2.5k+ range.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #45,132 of 75,341
So I take it you prefer the Ti7? Just how bright is the ACG? From your comparison, I think I would go with the Ti7.

My preference is for Ti7, or, you could also try DX5, a little brighter than Ti7, but without reaching the ACG.

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #45,133 of 75,341
Thanks for your impressions :) It's interesting because in my noob measurements which are kinda imitate the natural seal of earbuds and provide a faithful graph to what I hear subjectively, my RY4S UE is quite flat up until about 1.8-2k. But from 2k to about 4.5k the response climbs up by extra 6-7dB where there is a peak and roughly stays at +4dB level up until 12-14k. So basically from 2k upwards everything is elevated by an extra 4-5db compared to the fairly flat response below. I would say this should be quite accurate with my copy because as soon as I pulled down the 3-10k region with EQ concentrated on the 3k-5k range everything started to sound a lot better. Bass could be elevated too of course to get a good impact but I'd say its pretty flat and well extended for an earbud, which is of course not everyone's cup of tea but the main problem is just the relative level compared to the elevated 2.5k+ range.
Interesting. I was going off memory but I'll take your word for the raise in the mids and upper mids (there could be slight variation where the peak starts in the mids).

I'm surprised your unit did not have a dip in the low mids, that was something I noticed with a frequency sweep and just in general comparision to my other gear. Although I'll say that it's not a wide dip like on some V shaped earbuds.

The bass i can understand, i drilled a bass port in the shell of my ry4s and i got a much stronger deeper bass response, so this earbud can produce strong bass but it depends on how it was tuned as stock, any change in the tuning foam position could effect it greatly. I think that's why some report the r4ys as bassy while others say otherwise.

Overall I agree with your sentiment, it's not a forgiving earbud and if you compare it to a smooth balanced tuned earbud with no offensive peaks you'll noticing a lot of these issues.

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #45,134 of 75,341
Interesting. I was going off memory but I'll take your word for the raise in the mids and upper mids (there could be slight variation where the peak starts in the mids).

I'm surprised your unit did not have a dip in the low mids, that was something I noticed with a frequency sweep and just in general comparision to my other gear. Although I'll say that it's not a wide dip like on some V shaped earbuds.

The bass i can understand, i drilled a bass port in the shell of my ry4s and i got a much stronger deeper bass response, so this earbud can produce strong bass but it depends on how it was tuned as stock, any change in the tuning foam position could effect it greatly. I think that's why some report the r4ys as bassy while others say otherwise.

Overall I agree with your sentiment, it's not a forgiving earbud and if you compare it to a smooth balanced tuned earbud with no offensive peaks you'll noticing a lot of these issues.
The interesting thing is that all of my buds like qians/vidos etc show this elevated 2-6k range to some extent, for example qian69 has a fairly big double spike which I hear as some kind of wonkiness in the upper mids. The biggest difference to my other buds is the ry4s ue's elevated level of the 6k+ range compared to 1k. While most of my gear has 1k and 6k+ roughly on the same level, ry4s ue gives about +4dB for the highs, I think this is the kind of brightness I feel fatiguing and peaky. The bass does lack of a bit extra punch below 100hz in stock form. I would share these graphs but I'm noob at this and I get some weird bumps/resonances around 250hz and 1.2k with all of my gear so I wouldn't like to mislead anybody with these. Also these are raw uncompensated measurements by pressing a bud with full foams against a tascam dr05

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #45,135 of 75,341
Yesterday arrived the second unit of NiceHCK B40. Compared to the unit i have been using for two weeks and is still in the natural recording process, the new ones feature a small, impact-free sound. This way, i can assure friends that the burning process improves this bud.

This is new to me, because i didn't think a PK capsule and a smaller driver (14.8 mm) could provide adequate bass with good impact and extension, as there is here.

And about the war against the RY4S, Qian25, Qian69 and White Vido, i'm almost convinced that the best definition, image and soundstage is in the B40.

I too like my b40s more than the RY4S and the Qian69. More impactful and fuller sound. One thing that surprised me is how substancial the buds feel. I don't know if it is the drivers or that the PK shells are made with thicker plastic as they are my first PK style buds but I like it. It seems to be getting better with use but may be subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back